The Land of Freedom

I'm still reading, and enjoying full well! I just don't have much to add right now (although I'm surprised Adams is going full Boer given that little Jefferson interlude, but then again they're only part of the first arrivals to Georgia so it's not implausible). I do like that the Spanish Empire seems to be evolving along the same lines as the OTL British, with the various Viceroyalties becoming sorta-dominions as far as I can tell. Also, goodbye HRE.

Keep it up!

I'm still reading, and enjoying full well! I just don't have much to add right now (although I'm surprised Adams is going full Boer given that little Jefferson interlude, but then again they're only part of the first arrivals to Georgia so it's not implausible). I do like that the Spanish Empire seems to be evolving along the same lines as the OTL British, with the various Viceroyalties becoming sorta-dominions as far as I can tell. Also, goodbye HRE.

Keep it up!

And may the Spanish Empire fall.

Asami

Banned
And that's how this world works.

Will Napoleone Italy go for Africa?

How is life in British North America?

Ideas For Georgia allies.

Sweden, Mexico. Prussia. Poland-Lithuania. Portugal. Japan, and India (When the time comes)

Napoleone's Ambitions depend on the circumstances; I'm not sure where he's going to go yet.

British North America? It's been relatively quiet since the British suppressed the Revolution, though, the Quebecois seem to be very touchy these days... something about being slaughtered relentlessly... that, and the "English" living in all those colonies don't seem to see each other as the same.

Also, all those Scots and Irishmen living in the backwoods are yearning to go somewhere else to make good, they think Mexican Louisiana sounds nice...

The problem with those states is Georgia is waaaaaaaaay in South Africa. The only nation atm really "allied" with Georgia is the Netherlands. Possible allies I see is maybe Poland-Lithuania and France, also Italy. The other states, not as much.

Japan? Japan... probably not going to happen for reasons I don't care to elaborate on at the moment.

and Portugal? Portugal is definitely on Georgia's "Manifest Destiny" list... Those colonies near Georgia... you know...

Asami

Banned

Keep it up!

Not really Dominions, other than inviting monarchs in. Spain holds no power over the colonies that abrogated their dependence on them. New Granada and Mexico just happened to have elected their former overlords to come lead them more closely -- and the La Platans were just like "lel, we want our own guy, thanks."

Not really Dominions, other than inviting monarchs in. Spain holds no power over the colonies that abrogated their dependence on them. New Granada and Mexico just happened to have elected their former overlords to come lead them more closely -- and the La Platans were just like "lel, we want our own guy, thanks."

Ah sorry must've missed that part then. I suppose that's just a happy coincidence NG and Mexico chose their former rulers to continue to do so, they couldn't have done too badly a job, I suppose. As an aside, I don't know what you plan to do with Louisiana but I can't see it staying as part of Mexico forever given how large and distant it is from the mean center of population (as opposed to either getting taken by BNA or going independent, even if by establishing a personal union with Mexico), unless they can get enough people to resettle further north. And I'm not sure where they're gonna get them except from internal population growth or abroad (I highly doubt you'd see much immigration from BNA; too little and it won't make any difference, too much and they're gonna push for annexation by BNA...these folks aren't any different from OTL in that regard, more than likely).

Last edited:

Asami

Banned
Ah sorry must've missed that part then. I suppose that's just a happy coincidence NG and Mexico chose their former rulers to continue to do so, they couldn't have done too badly a job, I suppose. As an aside, I don't know what you plan to do with Louisiana but I can't see it staying as part of Mexico forever given how large and distant it is from the mean center of population (as opposed to either getting taken by BNA or going independent, even if by establishing a personal union with Mexico), unless they can get enough people to resettle further north. And I'm not sure where they're gonna get them except from internal population growth or abroad (I highly doubt you'd see much immigration from BNA; too little and it won't make any difference, too much and they're gonna push for annexation by BNA...these folks aren't any different from OTL in that regard, more than likely).

Patience, my son. :D

Asami

Banned
Chapter 6: "I Bless the Rains Here"

louisaAdams_young.jpg

John Quincy Adams, son of MP Johan Adams, leader of the Zulu Expedition.

After the election of Thomas Jefferson in 1796, the Georgians focused their efforts on exploration of their new home. Almost immediately, in May 1796, he commissioned two men to explore the interior. John Quincy Adams and Daniel Shays departed from Cape Town to explore the interior, with the assistance of a Boer cartographer. John Q. Adams was chosen as a capable diplomat if they encountered any major, partially hostile tribes, and Daniel Shays was a competent military man, and one of the generals of the Continental Army that had been set up after 1795.

This expedition took two years to complete, as they explored all along the southern banks of the Orange River. On the way, Shays and Adams alternatively took ill from diseases, but managed to recover before continuing on. Sailing down the river, they encountered a fork in the road. They discovered that the Orange River continued onwards, and the third member, the Boer, named the region, "Oranje". When they navigated back up and down a secondary river, the group found themselves sailing into the lands of the Zulu tribe.

The Zulu was, for standards of the region surrounding Georgia, heavily organized. Adams' diplomacy kicked in, as their Boer associate could speak to the Zulu. Communicating with the locals, he asked for a meeting with the Chief of the Zulu, which was granted. Approaching the Chief, he asked him to come to Cape Town to meet with the President of Georgia. The Chief asked him three days to make a decision, and the three explorers stayed in the region. In the three days, they consolidated their explorations quite well. The "Oranje" area was mostly confined to the region between the Oranje River and the "Vaal" River, which the Boer man had named based on the local name for the river.

The regions that lay beyond the Vaal river, he gave them a general name. "Transvaal"; north of the Orange river, however, was called "Transoranje".

Revenge Is Ironic

More concerning to the Georgian leadership was the arrival of a British ambassador in 1797; the ambassador was very friendly to the Georgians, and said to President Jefferson that the British Empire would recognize the sovereignty of the Georgian Republic, and the King would pardon all of the rebels involved with the 1776 Rebellion in exchange for fleet basing rights in Georgia, so that Britain could facilitate trade with India, and consolidate their holdings on the matter.

Jefferson's cabinet and the Parliament were concerned at an increase in British influence in their region, and informed the ambassador they would make a decision within fourteen days.

Two weeks later, after much deliberation, Jefferson agreed to their proposal, and sent up a silent prayer -- "May the Indians defeat the British, so that we may as well."

The British navy's small detachment of fleet ships, and the set up of trading posts in Cape Town was most unwelcome by local artisans. Jefferson, however, instituted a slight tax policy on goods from the British East India Company. When the BEIC complained, Jefferson informed the ambassador pointedly that, "Those who are not citizens of our country do not get a say in how our country is ran." -- back to London, the British East India Company openly decried Jefferson, saying the man was "unjust", and that his "taxes siphoned funding away from everything, tea, sugar, paper products, anything we bring from India is taxed!"

The Prime Minister of Britain, William Grenville, wrote in his memoirs that, "It took me nearly an hour to cease my laughing -- that Jefferson man was crafty, for all the taxes we perpetuated unto him, he was now perpetuating unto the East India Company as well! I had to admit, he had played the game well, for a treasonous sort.".

In the intervening months after the opening of a British embassy, other nations followed in doing so. In 1798 and 1799, the Netherlands, France, Prussia, Austria, Rhineland, Italy and Russia opened consulates in the Georgian capital, looking to strengthen their political influence, or weaken Britain's. By the time of the peace in Europe had settled down, all the notable European nations had opened consulates in Cape Town; save for Portugal, who deeply distrusted this new government in Cape Town, and was not going to take their influence in Africa well; Portugal had been one of many powers to covet African dominance, especially in the area Georgia now occupied.

After peace had come to Europe, Portuguese Mozambique expanded her influence to the northern banks of the Limpopo River, and sent emissaries south to the court of the Zulu king to influence him to war against the Georgians, to stall their advance.

In 1799, the second ever Parliamentary Elections were held, with the Vryheid party making significant gains. Louis Tregardt entered the parliament at eighteen years old, making him the youngest member of the Georgian parliament.

The Election of 1801

1801 was a quiet year for Georgia. With the war in Europe having distracted all of the powers that be; and the influx of foreign investment from Britain, of all places, the Republic of Georgia was starting to see a sharp increase in population, and a strengthening of their permanence as a country.

Jefferson and Adams both stood against each other as candidates for each party. A third party entered the fray under the leadership of a Boer man named Adriaan Pretorius; a farmer from the Graaff-Reinet province. The man's party, the "Boere Party", advocated a centrist line between the two parties, and was touted as the "party of the farmer". Adriaan's education was lapsed in comparison to the two Amerikaners, and both men attempted to court Pretorius to support them in a coalition. Around the time of the election, the population of Georgia that was voting age had gone from 73,244 in 1796, to 81,661 in 1801, a very significant increase in numbers, mostly due to the massive Dutch exile group that had shored up on their coastline.

Thomas Jefferson (Vryheid) - 57,441 votes (70.3% PV)
Johan Adams (ND) - 19,832 votes (24.3% PV)
Adriaan Pretorius (Boere) - 4,388 votes (5.4%)

Pretorius elected to back Jefferson for his second term, granting Jefferson an absolute landslide. To respect Pretorius' party goals, he established the office of Minister of Agricultural Affairs, and named Pretorius to the position, making Pretorius responsible for managing agricultural needs of the state, and their relations to the national agricultural industries.

One of the obstacles facing Georgia in the second term of Thomas Jefferson was the relationship with the Zulu and Xhosa tribes on the edge of their authority. The Zulu Chief had, after a visit from some unknown source, rejected and expelled the Amerikaner explorers, and they returned home with their findings. In 1801, however, a great means of relations emerged.

The chief of the Xhosa tribe dispatched emissaries to Georgia in 1801. Hard times had befallen the tribe, and the chief wished to create a beneficial, mutual relationship between the two groups. President Jefferson welcomed the Xhosa and their chief to Georgia, and the Chief, whom had a basic grasp of Afrikaans, had his words translated by Adriaan Pretorius.

Thomas Jefferson offered to assist the Xhosa in westernizing and modernizing, and access to trade, provided the Xhosa informally become part of Georgia's limited political power. Jefferson said that while, as King of the Xhosa, he and his descendants would control all the land under their rule, they'd be expected to follow the foreign policy of Georgia. In exchange, citizenship and free rights for all subjects and himself.

The chief of the Xhosa felt as if the deal was more beneficial to Georgia than himself, but the constant issues of power for his state, and his inability to act with decisiveness drove him to agree to the deal. Jefferson noted that for the Xhosa, they would be permitted to take over the Zulu tribe and subjugate them if they so wished. The areas of Transvaal and "Orange" would not be settled in the immediate by Georgians, but would be considered "Georgian" land.

The Chief of the Xhosa agreed, and beat the war drum to his people, hailing the Georgians as the "those who will bring prosperity", and blasting the Zulu as "evil conspirators of darkness". In 1802, the Chief of the Xhosa tribe named himself King of the Xhosa Kingdom, and began the process of modernizing his state, and westernizing to create a modern state.

His son, merely an infant, was sent off to be educated in Cape Town, hoping that he would shape the Xhosa kingdom, and make it a great place of prosperity.

The Zulu War

The first major war for Georgia after her independence in 1795 came in 1803, when, backed by Portugal, the Zulus attacked the Xhosa, and kidnapped several people. The Xhosa King reported this back to Cape Town, and Georgia threatened that the Zulu submit or face war. Backed by Portuguese promises of westernization and "benefits", the Zulu refused, and insulted the honor of President Jefferson.

Georgia and the Xhosa agreed to go to war with the Zulu tribes, and attacked them in spring 1803. The Zulu quickly retreated in the onslaught of the Georgian attack, and retreated northeast into Portuguese Mozambique, where they soon found themselves slaughtered by their own "allies". Many Zulu had remained behind and began to wage a sort of guerrilla war against the Xhosa and Georgians, who adamantly began to colonize the region with their own people.

The Chief of the Zulu never surrendered, but fled from the region, unable to continue his war. The Zulu people, defeated, were annexed into the Kingdom of the Xhosa, a major tributary state of the Republic of Georgia.

Looks like Georgia's becoming quite the agitator in the bush! I think their approach towards the Xhosa is really smart, in that they aren't trying to conquer them and instead practice soft power/influence to get them on their side (also, the bit about the British East India Company's interactions made me chuckle :cool:)). The Zulus losing to the Georgian/Xhosa armies makes sense, as Shaka hasn't arrived yet and probably isn't the power they would become later in OTL.

EDIT: Is it wrong that I think it's funny how Georgia's relations with Portugal in Africa seem (on first glance at least) to mirror US-Mexican interactions during the OTL expansion westward? I know, it's early yet and we've a lot of ways to go in seeing how things shake out south of the Sahara, just a hunch is all :p.

Last edited:

Congressman

Banned
Do you plan for Georgia to retake the homeland?

Because that would be a great way to end the timeline, with them finally marching in New York.

Can you name us some famous people in OTL that made it and who didn't?

Asami

Banned
Do you plan for Georgia to retake the homeland?

Because that would be a great way to end the timeline, with them finally marching in New York.

Can you name us some famous people in OTL that made it and who didn't?

Signatories of the American Declaration of Independence

John Adams - Living
Currently known as: "Johan Adams", Member of Parliament, Republic of Georgia

Samuel Adams - Unknown
Imprisoned by British upon fall of Philadelphia, escaped before he could be hung. Unknown location now, believed to have fled to Mexico, or into the interior.

Josiah Bartlett - Deceased, executed
Carter Braxton - Deceased, executed
Charles Carroll - Deceased, executed
Samuel Chase - Deceased, executed
Abraham Clark - Deceased, executed

George Clymer - Living
Currently a member of the Georgian parliament for the Vryheid Party.

William Ellery - Living
Escaped persecution by Britain, and is currently one of Georgia's leading religious ministers, and the founder of the University of Cape Town.

William Floyd - Living
Currently the primary liason between the Government of Georgia, and the British East India Company.

Benjamin Franklin - Deceased, natural causes
Escaped to Georgia and lived out his days as an embittered scientist and anti-British advocate, as well as anti-France. Disowned his illegitimate son and completely denied his existence, referring to him only as "the bastard". Died an angry man in 1790, before Georgia's independence.

Elbridge Gerry - Living
Discredited political ideologue after his proposal of an electoral system was overwhelmingly rejected. He resigned and lives as an artisan in Cape Town.

Button Gwinnett - deceased, executed
Lyman Hall - deceased, executed

John Hancock - deceased, executed
Was captured before he could escape the country, and was promptly shot by a trigger-happy soldier before he could be put on trial for treason. Considered a major martyr of the Revolution by Georgia.

Benjamin Harrison V - Living
Currently living in Cape Town as a merchant, and a local distributor for the British East India Company. His son, William Henry Harrison, is an aspiring politician, and works with his father in their small trading firm.

John Hart - deceased, natural causes
Died before the end of the Revolution, in 1779.

Joseph Hewes - deceased, natural causes
Died before the end of the Revolution, in 1779.

Thomas Heyward, Jr. - deceased, executed
William Hooper - deceased, executed

Stephen Hopkins - deceased, disease
Died of disease while in transit to Georgia, 1785.

Francis Hopkinson - deceased, natural causes
Died in 1790; was a major advocate for the flag of Georgia.

Samuel Huntington - deceased, natural causes
One of the leaders of the Constitutional Convention and first Supreme Court Judge appointed; died in 1796.

Thomas Jefferson - living
Leader of the Constitutional Convention, currently in second term of Presidency; Leader of the Vryheid Party.

Francis Lightfoot Lee - living
Member of parliament, partner with Harrison in his trade firm.

Richard Henry Lee - deceased, executed

Francis Lewis - deceased, natural causes
Minister of Education for Georgia until 1801, leading project to build schools for children, and organizing education for Xhosa children and adults; resigned shortly after election and died.

Philip Livingston - deceased, natural causes
Died in 1778.

Thomas Lynch, Jr. - deceased, executed

Thomas McKean - living
Member of Parliament for the National Democratic party.

Arthur Middleton - deceased, executed
Lewis Morris - deceased, natural causes
Died in 1798, prior to this, served as a Supreme Court Judge from 1795 to 1798.

Robert Morris - living
Currently the director of the First National Bank of Georgia, and Minister of Finance for Thomas Jefferson.

John Morton - deceased, natural causes
Died in 1777.

Thomas Nelson, Jr. - deceased, natural causes
Died in obscurity, 1789.

William Paca - deceased, executed

Robert Treat Paine - Living
Incumbent Attorney General

John Penn - deceased, natural causes
Died in 1788.

George Read - living
Major legal practitioner in Georgia.

Caesar Rodney - deceased, committed suicide
Committed suicide in 1783.

George Ross - deceased, natural causes

Benjamin Rush - Living
Major physician in Cape Town.

Edward Rutledge - deceased, executed
Roger Sherman - deceased, executed
James Smith - deceased, executed
Richard Stockton - deceased, natural causes
Died before Revolution's end, 1781.

Thomas Stone - deceased, drowned
Fell overboard in 1785 and drowned in a storm.

George Taylor - deceased, natural causes
Died before Revolution's end, 1781.

Charles Thomson - living
Ambassador of Georgia to the United Kingdom.

Matthew Thornton - deceased, executed
George Walton - deceased, executed
William Whipple - deceased, executed
William Williams - deceased, executed
James Wilson - deceased, executed
John Witherspoon - deceased, natural causes
Died in 1794, in obscurity.

Oliver Wolcott - deceased, executed

George Wythe - Living
Head of Supreme Court of Georgia

Generals

Philip Schuyler - deceased, executed
George Washington - deceased, KIA at Battle of Germantown
Richard Montgomery - deceased, KIA in Quebec
David Wooster - deceased, executed
John Thomas - deceased, executed
William Thompson - deceased, natural causes (d. 1781)

Benedict Arnold - Living
Vice President of Georgia

Horatio Gates - Living
Major general in the Continental Army of Georgia

Lighthorse Harry Lee, Robert E Lee's father? You have Richard Henry Lee and Francis Lee, but no Harry Lee.....or did he die with Washington?

Asami

Banned
Lighthorse Harry Lee, Robert E Lee's father? You have Richard Henry Lee and Francis Lee, but no Harry Lee.....or did he die with Washington?

He wasn't a military general (he was a cavalry officer) or a signer of the Declaration of Independence; so I didn't include him. He escaped to Georgia and is an officer in the Continental Army.

Asami

Banned
Chapter 7: Maratha in Ascendance

In the time between the outbreak of the defeated American Revolution, and the end of the Napoleonic Wars, Britain was distracted from India. The Maratha Confederacy was a strong native state in the heart of India, which was facing encroachment by the British East India Company.

With the outbreak of war in Europe and North America in the later half of the 18th century, Maratha's Rajas used this distraction to their advantage. In 1781, the Maratha Confederacy invaded Rajputana to consolidate their power in Northern India, both to counter rising British influence, and to lessen the power of the waning Mughal Empire.

The war lasted a year and a half before the Prince of Rajputana was killed in battle, and his army was routed. A puppet Prince was installed, who was loosely joined into the Maratha Confederacy, much in the same way the Kingdom of the Xhosa was joined into the Republic of Georgia.

Continuing his western campaign, the Raja of the Confederacy marched west into Sindh, and much the same thing happened, but on a shorter timetable. A new puppet leader was installed, and Sindh became a satellite state of the ascendant Maratha Empire.

With these new states established as puppets, the Raja turned his attention to his true enemy, the remains of the Mughals. This war was more long term, and lead from 1783 to 1787, but ended in a victory for the Maratha Confederacy, and the fall of the Mughal Empire, which was promptly subjugated and annexed. The following power consolidation lead into the Marathan Civil War in 1789, which raged for four years before the death of the two rebellious leaders in 1803, causing the disintegration of their armies.

In 1804, the Raja issued an edict of religious tolerance for any and all Sikhs and Muslims living in the northern provinces of the Empire. A militant rebellion in 1805 in Rajputana forced the King of Maratha to dissolve their autonomous rights as a puppet state, and forcibly invaded and dissolved the Princedom, annexing it directly into the Confederacy.

With this newly acquired territory, Maratha was now considerably more powerful than it had been before. In 1806, Maratha recognized the Republic of Georgia; the first non-European state to do so. An emissary of the Maratha Confederacy went to Cape Town to do business, and conferred privately with several men of Cape Town's trader class, as well as politicians, gathering monetary support for a potential anti-British war in India. The only stipulation these men had was total deniability, which the Raja's ambassador was far too happy to oblige them with.

It seemed that it was only a matter of time before India descended into war to break the power of the British Empire...

Go India!!

Second this. Now if the Americas just rise up again while Britain is bogged down in India the empire can truly be broken.

Also, genuinely curious what happened to Sam Adams. Odds are he's dead (He'd be 83 or 84 by this point), but that does't stop me from wondering.

I'm all too interested to see what becomes of Britain's hold on the Subcontinent, especially given the Maratha's capability to put up a fight ITTL (and with Georgian aid, to boot!). It helps that the edict of religious tolerance was issued, hopefully that will equate to at least a lack of local opposition to the Confederacy if not fighting participation. And of course, we may yet see immigration from BNA to Louisiana (and perhaps other parts of New Spain) which could make for "interesting times" ahead. Keep up the awesome work!

Asami

Banned
Chapter 8: A Time of Great Changes

464px-%E6%B8%85_%E4%BD%9A%E5%90%8D_%E3%80%8A%E6%B8%85%E4%BB%81%E5%AE%97%E5%98%89%E5%BA%86%E7%9A%87%E5%B8%9D%E6%9C%9D%E6%9C%8D%E5%83%8F%E3%80%8B.jpg

Emperor of China, Jiaqing (1796 - 1805)

In the Far East, China's unbridled hegemony of the East Asian states seemed unbreakable. In 1799, hopefully pre-empting the Russians, the Chinese Emperor ordered the invasion of the Central Asian states, the natural expansion room for the Chinese nation and people. The conquest had gone over surprisingly well, and ended with the last resistance stamped out in 1801. Chinese administrators and bureaucrats flooded into the region, setting up occupation authority in the pre-empt of Chinese settlers.

As quickly as the prosperity had come; it had gone again. In 1802, a great typhoon smashed into the coast of China, causing horrific flooding along the Yangtze basin, which brought devastation and death. For the Chinese Emperor, it meant more. It meant the end of the Mandate of Heaven -- for many, if the Chinese Emperor was so divine and chosen by Heaven, then why did he allow a vast storm to destroy thousands of crops and unleash horrible weather upon them?

To make matters worse, a string of failed crop yields followed suit due to rot and other diseases; as well as severe damage to them. Food became scarce in the winter of 1803, thousands starved to death, in both major and minor provincial settlements, which brought an even worse enemy. The piling of dead bodies with very little done to alleviate the growing piles in roads and villages, disease spread like wildfire in the country-side; the old enemy of humanity, yersinia pestis.

The disease began to spread across China without relent, it sweeping into the city of Beijing in June 1804. The disease ravaged the capital city of the Qing Empire, leading to the Emperor himself falling ill to the disease after it spread to one of his eunuchs. The Chinese Emperor expired in 1805, after most of his family had already died, leaving a power vacuum open. His only living son, Mianyu, the prince Hui, ascended the throne in a time of strife, as the disease had begun to retreat after slamming across China for two years.

However, fed up with the rapid collapse of Chinese prosperity, a peasant revolt erupted in the Southeast of the country, lead by a peasant leader named Xu Jin, a farmer whose family had perished due to both the plague epidemic and the mass starvation.

Xu Jin's armies rallied massive political support from peasants across China, in support of the rebellion. While the Southeast was quickly defecting en masse to the rebellion; in the north, the Mongols mobilized and declared a state of rebellion against the Chinese Emperor, a similar situation followed in Tibet, with any pro Chinese lords defecting away. These three secessionist states began their rampage during the period of 1805 to 1807.

While Xu's army rapidly advanced through the ruins of South China, swelling in size, the Mongols had captured a large chunk of Manchuria, the home base of the Aisin Gioro clan, and drove west into the Chinese Central Asian lands, with Tibet. The Chinese Army, heavily demoralized, and without many leaders, continued to experience rout after rout in the war; all of this was occurring with very little attention from the rest of the world, surprisingly. Britain was busy dealing with the potential of war in India, Portugal was dealing with a rather hostile, posturing Georgia in Mozambique. However, there was one power of Europe fully aware of the circumstances.

In 1808, Russian soldiers flooded into the Amur, quickly routing and causing the further collapse of the Chinese Army, as the Russian army swept the region clean. During this period, as the army of Xu advanced into the center of China, a revolt erupted from the Ma tribes, who quickly confederated themselves to shut out Han domination. Xu was infuriated, and dedicated several batallions to holding the line with the Ma, preventing them from advancing any further than what he deemed acceptable, and using the rest of his army to push north.

While China dissolved into chaos, interesting things were taking place across the globe.

The Birth of Prince Henryk

In 1808, the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth celebrated the birth of the first child of King Ludwik and Maria Clementia von Habsburg. The birth of Prince Henryk Józef Małachowski-Bourbon was welcomed across the Commonwealth, and provided the strongest means for Stanislaw Malachowski, beginning to show his age, and nearing the end of his mortal life, to shoehorn the most controversial Polish legislative action ever.

The 1808 Constitution was finally put into place, after years of debate and discussions with parliamentarians; it formally abolished the elective monarchy that had been in place for a very long time, granting to Ludwik II and his descendants, the permanent rights to title themselves King of Poland and Grand Duke of Lithuania; the Constitution also abolished the liberum veto, which had stunted the growth of the state significantly. It was also with this, that Stanislaw Malachowski resigned his powerful position as Chancellor of the State, and retired for the last of his life, which came to an end in early 1809. Ludwik II had attended to his foster father's side. Posthumously, he decorated Stanislaw as Prince Stanislaw of Poland-Lithuania, and organized for him to be buried in a place of honor.

Poland-Lithuania had lost it's greatest statesman in a generation, but had emerged stronger than ever as a result. But almost immediately, an emergency reared it's head in Europe.

Armenian War (1808-1813)

The Russo-Turkish War is primarily blamed on the decaying power of the Ottoman Empire, and the desire for the Russians to prove their strength and power, which they had failed in doing so in recent years, having stayed out of the Danian War; as well, Russia had territorial designs on lands held by the Ottomans and the Persians.

The war's formal beginning occurred in September 1808 with the Russian army attacking an Ottoman garrison in Kartvelia; news of the invasion quickly spread into Europe, which met reasonable discord. The Austrian alliance was moderately supportive of the Russian side, seeing it as a means to invade and annex the territory of the Ottoman Empire -- even the vassal Voivoidates of Wallachia and Moldavia.

Poland-Lithuania was concerned at Russian expansionism, feeling that Russia may perhaps use this war as a springboard to further ventures in their territory, namely, Ruthenia.

Italy felt that the war could be a good justification to invade and conquer parts of the Balkans in the name of "Rome", but all the powers decided to observe the Turk and see how they did before waging an extensive war of aggression, or joining the Russian camp.

In the early weeks of the campaign, the Russian army faced a few minor setbacks in the form of attrition in the mountains as they crossed over into Ottoman Kartvelia. The first battles of the war were Russian defeats, and the Turks pursued the Russians north; however, once the Russian army reorganized, the Turks were met with fierce attack as they attempted to go on the offensive, being forced to retreat. The intense fighting proexisted for some time. Russia's generals, fed up by the failure of their armies, turned and issued an ultimatum to Poland-Lithuania, demanding Russian military access to invade through Romania. Hendrik II and the Sejm refused the demands, which triggered Russian military forces to enter their country anyway without permission, triggering a battle just inside Poland's borders.

Austria was outraged at this action; they had favored Hendrik II as well as his wife and son. After a string of battles in Ruthenia which had bloodied the Polish-Lithuanian army, which had been taken entirely by surprise, the Austrians declared war on Russia and joined into the war; pushing east into Poland-Lithuania to bolster their ranks.

Despite the recommendations of his leaders, Napoleone decided to remain neutral in the war; despite the fact that Austria had Italian territory, Spain was still a possible combatant, and he would rather not have Rome being torn apart by a multi-national coalition against Russia.

While the Russians continued to be battered on both fronts, rebellions erupted in the Ottoman Empire's territories of Serbia and Greece, forcing the Ottomans to divert military resources there. Encouraged by this, the Russians managed to advance into Kartvelia, forcing the Ottomans to retreat. Ahead of the Russian invasion, a massive Armenian revolt erupted in short succession, causing a frenzy of issues for the Ottoman Empire. By the start of 1810, the Russians had successfully ejected the Ottomans from the region, and poised themselves to invade Armenia. However, in the early winter of 1810, they began an interlude by invading Persia for their Azerbaijani tributaries, and the actual territory of Azerbaijan under their possession.

Yet, at the same time, the Russian army was faltering against the grand coalition of nations fighting in Ruthenia, and was soon pushed out of the Baltic and across the Dnieper, where the line did not advance again; mostly as the Polish-Lithuanians did not want to overextend into January 1810.

After the end of the early winter of 1810, Russia resumed it's invasion of Armenia and Persia in March 1810, managing to help the Armenians declare their independence. They were soon joined by the Serbs and Greeks, who did so in rapid succession after them. In June 1810, Persia capitulated to the Russians after being nearly ground to paste on the battlefield. The Russians pushed west into the Ottoman Empire, hoping to gain greater concessions, such as their prize -- Constantinople, or, Tsargrad.

However, as they slammed into Anatolia, ironically, the Russian army was nearly routed at Manzikert, the site of the old Byzantine loss to the Turks many centuries prior. Russia and the Ottomans sat in for the long-haul, and a grinding game of attrition and warfare, which would continue for an extended period of time.

In 1811 and 1812, while the war found itself grinding into a stalemate as both sides reorganized and reworked their offensive plans, the Romanian voivodes, with Austrian blessing, revolted from the Ottoman Empire as well, and united, forming the Kingdom of Romania. The Romanians elected one of their own to become King of Romania, instead of the foreign monarch that was considered by Austria to be the proper candidate.

Serbia did something similar, while Greece abandoned monarchy altogether, declaring the foundation of the Hellenic Republic in May 1812.

In the Summer of 1812, the Russians broke out of the Armenian stalemate and slammed hard into the Ottoman army, forcing a mass retreat from Armenia. After this, a peace conference was called and a peace was made, one that was both favorable and unfavorable to the victors and losers.

Russia made gains in the Middle East, gaining the Azerbaijani states, Kartvelia, and gaining Armenia as a protectorate. However, they were expulsed from the Baltic and from the western side of the Dniepr, something that embittered many Russians in Russia, but less so amongst the Ruthenians.

For the Ottomans, perhaps even worse, their empire was quite in a state of disrepair. Having lost Armenia to the Russians, their "allies" soon abandoned them and laid claim to land. Austria occupied and set up a puppet Großherzogtum Bosnia, to govern the territory indirectly, while Italy annexed Albania and Montenegro. While they retained control of Macedonia, Serbia annexed their upper region, and the Greeks gained their undeniable freedom, taking most of the Aegean islands with them.

The Ottoman Empire was now severely weakened, when the Treaty of Budapest was signed in 1813, and many believed that it would never recover from this fatal blow; much to the glee of their neighbors.

The Dominion of Ohio

Despite the defeat of American colonists, a large number of frontiersmen, Quebecois, and others mass-migrated into the very disorganized regions of British North America. This new movement lead to an interesting situation. A large collective of men of modest wealth from their lives as farmers, or whatever else, got together and formed the United Ohio Company, and propositioned to buy a large expanse of land to form a Dominion State in 1803.

Britain was initially reluctant, but after some financial convincing to several members of Parliament, the charter of Ohio was signed off to this new company, which inherited the Ohio River Valley colonies, and a large chunk of northern Louisiana and any territory west of British Canada.

A large number of Southern colonists spread into the territory with their slaves, as did even more Quebecois, and Mexican adventurists.

500px-British-Blue-Ensign-1707.svg.png

Flag of the Dominion of Ohio

Georgia between the Zulu War and the War of 1812

After the end of the Zulu War in mid-1803, the Republic of Georgia focused it's efforts on continually bringing the lands that was once the Cape Colony and beyond up to snuff for their standards, the standards of their old home. Schools multiplied and the first means of industry began to appear in Georgia, despite it being mostly agricultural. With problems appearing in Africa, the power of Georgian merchants began to grow rapidly. In 1804, Georgian merchants began to outpace British ones across Southern and Southeast Asia, outside where Britain controlled directly. Many native tribes, hearing of the resistance of Georgia against colonial aggression, praised them as examples to them all. the late Benjamin Harrison V's (and now his son, William H. Harrison) "Cape Trading Company" began to see it's power multiply.

The wealth of exports and imports coming in from Asia soon turned Georgia to increase production to send goods back to them. Africa was full of potential wealth, many believed, and this soon triggered what many called "Manifest Destiny", the concept that Georgia, as the bulwark against European aggression, must spread it's wealth, justice and freedom across the African continent. The first organized wave of colonization spread east through the Transvaal region, all the way up to the river border with Portuguese Mozambique, which was growing more and more nervous at the expanding Anglo power in the region. However, these colonization efforts ran into some blockades -- namely rampant, nearly unconquerable sicknesses spread by pests. The first mixed race families began to appear amongst the colonists as they sought to breed people capable of surviving the region.

After serving a lengthy period of time, ten years, President Jefferson declined a third term of office in 1806, preferring to let someone else take the reigns of power. The Vryheid Party nominated Jefferson's Minister of Finance, Robert Morris, to be the candidate for office. The National Democrats nominated a Boer man, Willem Bosman. The election was tightly contested, but the victory fell to who it fell to. By 1806, the Republic of Georgia's population had swelled once more, with voting capable people numbering approximately 87,500. Georgia was still microscopic in comparison to other countries, but it was a power to be feared in the region.

Willem Bosman (ND) - 43,885 votes, 50.15%
Robert Morris (Vryheid) - 43,615 votes, 49.85%

The election marked the second presidency of the Republic of Georgia, and the first one for the National Democratic party. Willem Bosman set into position his plans for the development of the country, which included even more rapid industrialization. It was this police that swung him into a victory in 1811; without much of an effort as the Vryheid Party had decided to focus on a more parliamentary level than a national elective level.

447px-Jan_Willem_Jassens_door_Pieneman.jpg

Willem Bosman, President of Georgia (1806-1816)

The War of 1812

The Republic of Georgia was a restless state, to say the least. With the Zulu War completed, and many still questioning why the Zulu had turned hostile so quickly. The reason came in the form of a Zulu prisoner of war explaining that Portuguese diplomats had come to the Zulu court and promised great benefit if they attacked the Xhosa and Georgia to weaken them.

The revelation caused a spark of outrage across Georgia, as many began to call for Portugal to be punished. The call for war grew so massive that President Bosman relented, and with approval from the Georgian parliament, issued an ultimatum to Lisbon, to cease supporting militant natives or face war. Portugal steadfastly refused, triggering Georgian soldiers to march into Mozambique.

Around the time of the war's break out, Georgia celebrated the 80th birthday of the Great Martyr, George Washington. To commemorate him, the city of Cape Town was renamed "Washington City" in his memory.

The Georgians were primarily supported by the army of the Xhosa due to the Xhosa's natural capacity to resist major disease vectors, whereas Georgians were still struggling to adapt to the harsher African climate. Finding very little resistance from standing colonial militia in Mozambique, the Georgians steam-rolled over the region in a matter of a couple months. The Portuguese Navy, launched from Brazil, attacked the Georgian navy near the coast of Georgia. The attack was called off after Georgia inflicted severe damage on the fleet of Portugal in Brazil; at the expense of several Georgian Navy ships.

While no attempts were made to conquer Angola at the time, the Portuguese launched several probing attempts to invade Mozambique and Georgia, and was rebuffed at each opportunity. Appealing for British aid, Britain refused to join their allies' war due to the relative instability of British rule in India, and the waning power of the East India Company as a result of this, and the Georgian's tenacity and hostility toward the very same company, being the reason of their revolt nearly 40 years prior.

Portugal appealed for peace to the Georgian government in the summer of 1813, asking for a peace treaty. The terms of peace were declared that Mozambique, all under Portuguese occupation, would be turned over to Georgia. With no means of reconquering their colony, Portugal accepted the terms, bringing about an end to the hostilities.

The immediate aftermath of the war lead to the establishment of Mozambique as the Unorganized Territory, which would be carved up and divided up later into territories and states as necessary.

1814 and 1815 were spent consolidating their holdings and their advances, as Georgia looked to increase the income of the state and overseas. Georgia, with tenacious eye, began to see an entirely new concept, Manifest Destiny, but the harsh realities of the continent would prove a great challenge. President Bosman spoke that Georgia's right to expand was true, yet at the same time, they must strengthen themselves internally before externally.

Around this time, the first migrants began to show up in Georgia, looking for a new opportunity. These people had risked death on the seas for new freedom -- Poor Portuguese from Brazil, Poor Platans from La Plata, Quebecois, Africans from some of the East African kingdoms, even several hundred Hindus from the Maratha Empire, looking for democracy.

Georgia found herself becoming attractive to those looking for a new start, which surprised many -- and enamored just as many. Georgia was, to them and others, becoming the land of freedom and hope.

Bosman commented on that as well, "People are coming here because they seek hope -- and where else can they find hope, than on the shores of the Cape of Good Hope?"

Georgia's ascendance was nearly guaranteed.

Last edited:

Asami

Banned
Interlude V: Information on Georgia (as of 1815)

Republic of Georgia (English)
Republiek van Georgië (Afrikaans)

Capital City: Washington City (OTL's Cape Town)
Population: est. ~250,000
Voting Population: ~90-95,000
National Anthem: Het Wilhelmus (de facto, adopted from Dutch parent nation, lyrics used occasionally.)
The Patriots Hymn (de facto, adopted from the Austrian Kaiserhymne, no lyrics used officially)
None (de jure)

Head of State: President Willem Bosman (took office 1806)
Head of Government: Deputy President Adriaan Pretorius (took office 1806)

Currently a universal male enfranchised republic (all colors), women do not have the right to vote as of 1815

Currently two parties in the Georgian Parliament, Vryheid Party and National Democratic Party.

Primary advantages over others:
  • Controls Cape of Good Hope, therefore has trade power
  • Harrison Trading Company is managing to beat out the British East India Company, whose power is waning very rapidly
  • Localized army and navy superiority, home base advantage
  • Protected by most of the liberal-leaning powers of Europe from invasion (Netherlands, Italy, France)

Primary disadvantages:
  • Low economic power beyond trade manipulation through Harrison Trading Company. Production is not very strong in comparison to some.
  • Low population size
  • Not as well-developed as America was
  • Dealing with much more hostile natives than they would in North America
  • Target of British economic imperialism
  • Cannot expand into interior as of 1815 due to disease threat being too severe for explorers and settlers -- research into ways of settling in full swing, results not expected until 1830s or 1840s.
  • Only other major Republic in existence besides France, Switzerland and (Revolutionary) China.

Major ethnic groups in the country:
  • White Amerikaners
  • Boers / Cape Dutch
  • Aborigine Africans (Xhosa and Zulu primarily)
  • Portuguese settlers in Mozambique
  • Newly arriving immigrants from La Plata and Brazil
  • The recent influx of Quebecois.

Last edited: