The Kraken Wakes

How might How might events go if the Krakens in Wyndham's The Kraken Wakes turned up in 2013 instead of 1953 (the copyright date of the book)?

Here are some of my notes on the POD.

1) Better radar to observe the arrival of the red globes although they would be less likely to be fired at these days.

2) Bathyscopes and remote subs for investigating where they have landed. A lot safer for mother ships than the cable approach of 50s technology and they would have better sensors.

3) Current treaties ban dropping nukes on them at least under the guise of testing them. Would countries cede from them?

4) The fact that their domes are in international water, which I presume that they are permitted to use under international law as much as anyone else. Comments?

5) Efforts against them by various countries were not co-ordinated beyond an ad hoc Committee, which conveniently met in London. As events on OTL have shown, things could be different. Would it be NATO that takes the lead or the UN? Would China and Russia co-operate with the West in a new Coalition or would they go their own way as Russian did (China is not mentioned as a real power)?

6) Advances in submarine warfare in general and sonar in particular could make it hot for any Kraken craft near the surface. In addition, could subs detect sea tanks crawling along the continental shelf and dispatch them with torpedoes?

7) The sonic bombs were ultimately used to wipe them off the face of the Earth (well, out of the Deep Blue Sea). However, would a complete clearance be permitted? After all the legal definition of genocide can be found in the 1948 United Nations Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide (CPPCG). Article 2 of the CPPCG defines genocide as "any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such: killing members of the group; causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group; deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life, calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part; imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group; [and] forcibly transferring children of the group to another group."

In my view, that would be enough legally to block the programme of eradication in the book. Given the number of people killed there would also be a case for putting the leaders of the Krakens on trial . Extradiction though might prove to be tricky!

Given the size of the oceans, and that fact that the aliens should be able to dig in to protect themselves (they after all had the tech to do sea-floor excavations on a scale beyond anything on the surface), or, simply relocate to other parts of the sea (they can do interstellar travel, they can handle lower-pressure areas) I found the suggestion at the end of the story that the aliens are Doomed rather dubious. [1] I imagined a sequel, in which the aliens come out of hiding 15-20 years later with some new weapon (perhaps a biological one. Think The Blob).

In any event, I have trouble with setting an SF story in "our" history - after all, the laws of physics may differ. Is a sonic weapon such as described even possible with 1953 technology?

Bruce

P.S. - wasn't it the Japanese which developed the weapon? I found that a nice touch for 1953...

[1] Heck, they have Heat Rays, or whatever they melt the ice caps with. Can't they build anything that out-ranges the sonic weapon?

Given the size of the oceans, and that fact that the aliens should be able to dig in to protect themselves (they after all had the tech to do sea-floor excavations on a scale beyond anything on the surface), or, simply relocate to other parts of the sea (they can do interstellar travel, they can handle lower-pressure areas) I found the suggestion at the end of the story that the aliens are Doomed rather dubious.

A fair point. You might imagine that soundproofing wouldn't be beyond the reach of their technology either!

[1] I imagined a sequel, in which the aliens come out of hiding 15-20 years later with some new weapon (perhaps a biological one. Think The Blob).

I like this idea!

In any event, I have trouble with setting an SF story in "our" history - after all, the laws of physics may differ. Is a sonic weapon such as described even possible with 1953 technology?

I should imagine so; it'd be much more effective underwater after all...

[1] Heck, they have Heat Rays, or whatever they melt the ice caps with. Can't they build anything that out-ranges the sonic weapon?

The characters in the book speculate that they melt the ice caps in quite a simple way - no heat rays involved. Just a big nuclear-powered water heater and pump directed at the base of the ice caps...

Oh yes, and one thing that would make events very different if the aliens arrived in 2013 is that today people and governments would accept the ideas of aliens much more readily than in 1953. At least part of the problems in the book are caused (as I recall) by the refusal of governments to believe in aliens being responsible for what is going on, so hindering effective action being taken against them...

Given the size of the oceans, and that fact that the aliens should be able to dig in to protect themselves (they after all had the tech to do sea-floor excavations on a scale beyond anything on the surface), or, simply relocate to other parts of the sea
They may not have considered digging in necessary. After all, it was only when the sonic bombs were dropped that they were in serious trouble. An analogy to poor defence would by WW2 Japan and a lack of sub hunting ships. Given that they probably colonising an uninhabited (by their standards) world, digging bunkers may not have been higher priority until it was too late They did have the diggers though; they joined some of the Deeps together.

(they can do interstellar travel, they can handle lower-pressure areas)
But not that low. If a fireball ship was hit, it exploded, not merely continue on its way albeit damaged.

But not that low. If a fireball ship was hit, it exploded, not merely continue on its way albeit damaged.

Pressure doesn't get much lower than in space! I think the reason the fireball ships exploded when hit was that the hull was breached or overstrained, so explosively releasing the vast pressures it contained; like a balloon bursting maybe. Not that they couldn't contain the aliens native pressure with a low outside pressure under stable conditions.