The Kingdom Of The Chauhans - A victorious Prithviraj III TL

Prithiviraj, Victorious!
It is said that history is written by the victors. Those that survive the battle, even though they lose, gets to keep their narrative alive. This story that I am about to tell you is somewhat similar but with much….. greater effects it has in the history of Bhārata.

First Battle of Tarain, 1191.

The_last_stan_of_Rajputs_against_Muhammadans.jpg

Blood, sweat and terror raged across the battlefield as the Ghurid Turkish cavalry smashed into the Rajputana cavalry in front of him.

He had thought the battle would be won by now.

Of course he is wrong.

He knew for a fact that this wretched fight in which he had lost the majority of his precious Afghan soldiers would not be over until he can rend the neck of that Chahamana King with his own hands. As he is just about to signal his cavalry to target the weak central position of the Rajputana infantry, he saw both his right and left flanks getting mauled and coming dangerously close to breaking apart by the enemy’s own infantry and the hated elephant corps.

‘And isn’t that a surprise?’ Mu’izz ad-Din or more commonly known as Muhammad of Ghor (in the future) thought in disdain, as he swiped his sword from the scabbard and yelled out a war cry.

“Qutb-ud-Din, signal the remaining cavalry to charge at the center. THIS IS OUR ONLY CHANCE TO WIN THIS FIGHT!” The young boy beside him was knocked out of his funk and raised a war horn near him.

As he charged his fine Sogdian horse to the front lines with his commanders beside him, the small trickle of cavalry near him became a deluge as every Ghurid horsemen in his pay tried to ham fist their way to the center where the Chahamana King “Rai Pithora” [1] and his commanders were situated including the brilliant (in his eyes) Govind Rai.

And for a moment he thought he had succeeded.

But much to his horror, he saw that behind the infantry wall was a massive elephant upon which the shadowed, helmeted form of Govind Rai shone through like a god.

“MY LORD” Qutb-ud-Din Aibak yelled as he threw a spear for him which he caught. After which, he wound his arm back and pinpointed it directly at the plume-helmeted figure who himself had wound back an arrow from the menagerie of weapons he probably had at the back of the elephant.

Yah Allah, let luck favor us this once.

He threw the spear and the enemy released his arrow and thus it landed.

The lance hit the faceplate in between the eyes of Govind Rai who lurched back as the force that was transferred almost broke his neck but he quickly righted himself and looked down at the invading Sultan.

Muhammad was however, not so lucky.

The arrow had gored straight through his right eye and it took the entire strength of the harnesses of his horse to not snap under the weight as the Ghurid sultan stumbled back, dead. [2]

The last fleeting thoughts in his mind was that of his precious ghulams back in Ghazni, his sons and daughters.

I hope Qutb-ud-Din manage to make it back home. D-Did Taj already raised the army that I had requested of him to raid Balkh? I hope both he had Qutb manage to a-a-ave-.

Mu’izz ad-Din’s heart stopped.

The Battle of Tarain as it is known now did change the landscape of the Indian subcontinent quite a bit, for this would be the final time any Islamic army would seriously try to invade Jamdudvipa [3]. The complete collapse of the Ghurid army after the death of its sultan would directly lead to the death of more than 20,000 men as the elephants ran amok the disillusioned soldiers, picking up the men, crushing and trampling them.

Prithiviraj seized upon the opportunity presented to him like a dying man given water. He had lost more than 10,000 soldiers and he wanted payback. Qutb-ud-din Aibak had left a paltry 1,000 men to reinforce the fort of Tabarhind [4] and was quite sure that Prithiviraj wouldn’t follow him without securing it first.

Of course, the “Rai Pithora” surprised him.

Prithiviraj had completely bypassed the fort and ordered Govind Rai to take it with just the infantry he had while he and the 80,000 strong cavalry forces under his command raced ahead to capture Lahore and extinguish the survivors of the battle. They met outside the small town of Manhala were the deeply exhausted Ghurid army were forced to turn and again fight the Chauhans. Qutb-ud-Din Aibak had no choice but to sacrifice more of his men as he himself made his way back to Ghazni.

Prithiviraj did not give chase after the battle of Manhala as he received news that Govind Rai had manage to take the fort of Tabarhind with minimal causalities. He received a much bigger and much more joyous news that his dear wife Samyogita had given birth to a child. His son.

After naming one of his commanders as the temporary governor of the city he raced back to Delhi.

23rd of the month of Vaisakha, Ulugh Beg publications, Purushapura, Vikram Samvat 2076.

Written by Dr. Baba Gangotri.

…………………..The defeat of the nascent Ghurid state had upended the delicate balance of power in the Pariyatra [5] Mountains as rival claimants and the previous sultan’s own slaves started vying for power in Ghazni. Qutb-ud-Din Aibak, who had come with the news of the sultan’s death was joined by Taj-al-Din as they and Ghor’s nephew Ghiyath tried to stop the advance of Baha-al-din Sam II of Bamiyan. The two army’s one composed full of Turkic soldiers and the other by Iranians met in place now forgotten in history. The battle was quite inconclusive. The 14th century Persian philosopher Abu Hayyam had written that the battle took place “in an abode of snow, which killed men from both armies as many froze to death”. Both sides had claimed victory with Baha-al-din striking coins in his name from Bamiyan and refusing to recognize the suzerainty from Ghazni.

The Ghurid sultanate had effectively split in two…………………………..

Prithiviraj’s return to Delhi was with much fanfare. His defeat of the “Mlecchas” at Taraori was celebrated throughout his kingdom. The Bahttis of Jaisalmer, Tomars of Gwalior and the Gahlots of Chittor once learning of Ghor’s defeat had all come to swear in to the new Maharajadhiraja [6] of Bharat so that he doesn’t turn his eyes on them. All except Jaichand, the Raja of Kannauj who was still angry at Prithiviraj for absconding with his daughter, Samyogita.

His new born son named ‘Bhīma’, as named by his wife had made him take a step further as he now had an heir, crowned himself the new king of Aryavarta in Delhi and swore to his commanders and nobles.

“I will not rest until my hand reaches the forests of Brahmadesh [7] and the mountains of Jejabhukti [8]! I will not rest until the lands of Harsha [9] are united under me!”

[1] Another name for Prithiviraj Chauhan.

[2] Our POD, well one of many, in OTL Muhammad Ghor survived because Govind Rai used a javelin which only injured his arm. Here he uses an arrow which kills the dude. The overarching POD is that Govindraja is not born at all and uhhhhhhhh Prithiviraj and Sanyogita had some alone time together before he went to subjugate the lands of his forefathers.

[3] Ancient name for the Indian subcontinent.

[4] Fort in the present day city of Bathinda.

[5] The Hindu Kush mountains in Sanskrit given by the future geographers ITTL.

[6] King of Kings in Sanskrit.

[7] Burma.

[8] The name for the Bundelkhand region under the Chandelas.

[9] 7th century emperor who united North India after the Guptas. Man was such a good ruler that he didn’t have a kid for some reason and after his death three different empires fought each other to control his capital for more than two hundred years.

Last edited:
Will there be any impact on buddhism and Hinduism? Also Buddhist universities like Nalanda intact so will see Buddhist revival as well? Maybe a hybridize hindu Buddhist religion without islam take its place?

Will there be any impact on buddhism and Hinduism? Also Buddhist universities like Nalanda intact so will see Buddhist revival as well? Maybe a hybridize hindu Buddhist religion without islam take its place?
I don't know about Buddhism's revival because it was getting increasingly incorporated into Vaishanavaite Hinduism but Buddhism wouldn't contract like it happened during the Islamic invasions.

Ah I see I have beaten once again to the punch in writing an Indian TL by you. Either way amazing POD for a story and damn well written to. I assume Privthirajs next move will be to head to Kannauj, and claim Harsha's old capital for himself?

Maybe a reformer like Shankar in case of buddhism? I mean Hinduism slowly solidifying under caste system. Is it not possible for buddhism make come back by targetting lay people. Maybe something like bhakti or Pureland buddhism?

Ah I see I have beaten once again to the punch in writing an Indian TL by you. Either way amazing POD for a story and damn well written to. I assume Privthirajs next move will be to head to Kannauj, and claim Harsha's old capital for himself?
Thank you for reading this! It's thanks to you that I got the idea for doing this. Well both you and Shahrasyr who did his own "Prithviraj gaining victory in the second battle of Tarain" although I used the first battle.

Maybe a reformer like Shankar in case of buddhism? I mean Hinduism slowly solidifying under caste system. Is it not possible for buddhism make come back by targetting lay people. Maybe something like bhakti or Pureland buddhism?
Bhakti is going to be something that I am going to explore here. I didn't know about Pureland Buddhism so thanks for letting me know about it.

I think it quite possible for buddhism reinsert itself by focusing on lay people. Pureland and devotional buddhism ideal here. Also odantapuri, vikramshila, somapuri and Nalanda still intact. In canon last throne holder of Nalanda Shakyashribhadra fled to tibet with Buddhist scriptures which not happened in here. With Buddhist intellectuals still alive I think it is possible for Buddhist revival. Chouhans were hindu and jains so it is not impossible for them to support buddhism.

Is he about to do Ashvamedha Yajna and declare himself Chakravartin? Or will he remain humble enough to not compare himself with emperor Ashoka? If he conquers everything that was a part of Harsha's empire then possibly that title can be justified and his rule legitimized by a Rajsuya yagna. At the moment how much control does he exert over the other states that he led in battle? Are they his vassals or are they merely allies?

Bhakti is going to be something that I am going to explore here.
IIRC The worship of Rama only took off in the 14th century, so maybe in this TL one of the other avatars like Varaha or Narasimha whose worship declined with the Muslim conquests becomes the focus of Vaishnavite Bhakti instead of him

Is he about to do Ashvamedha Yajna and declare himself Chakravartin? Or will he remain humble enough to not compare himself with emperor Ashoka? If he conquers everything that was a part of Harsha's empire then possibly that title can be justified and his rule legitimized by a Rajsuya yagna. At the moment how much control does he exert over the other states that he led in battle? Are they his vassals or are they merely allies?
Not right now probably as he does have to conquer the stuff first before doing the Chakravartin thing.

IIRC The worship of Rama only took off in the 14th century, so maybe in this TL one of the other avatars like Varaha or Narasimha whose worship declined with the Muslim conquests becomes the focus of Vaishnavite Bhakti instead of him
Will try to research more about it! Thanks for letting me know!

Things in Central Asia and India
In 1192, Khwarezmians under the rule of Shah Tekesh invaded the Afghan mountains in full force. Two months before that, Ghiyath-al-Din along with Qutb-ud-Din had captured Balkh, an important city on the banks of the Oxus as a way to make sure it never falls to Baha-al-Din in Bamiyan. Shah “Ala al-Din Tekish” or “Tekesh” as he is called was quite incensed at the capture of the city under his suzerainty (more like under the vassalage of Qara Khitai’s than his). Since he was a vassal to the Qara Khitais who won him the throne, he had to first get the permission of Yelu Zhilugu, the emperor of the Western Liao Dynasty.

Once getting the consent, he along with a 20,000 strong army and a 10,000 strong Khara Khanid force stormed across the Oxus.

The siege was quite long as it took more than five months to capture just the outer wall of the city. Any attempt to cut the supply route off was thwarted by Qutb-ud-Din, who did his best to harass the enemy forces until Taj-al-Din could raise a 12,000 strong force from Ghazni. Twelve days later, the city was captured by the Khwarezmians when a fire broke out due to the continuous firing of the catapults which led to a small break in concentration of the defending Ghurid troops as they tried to put out the fire. By the time Taj-al-Din brought the troops, Tekish was fighting Qutb-ud-Din Aibak outside the city.

Balkh 1.jpg

The Battle of Balkh

The additional Afghan troops did manage to stave off the inevitable for a while but the Khwarezmians eventually triumphed and Taj-al-Din was captured alive, brought before Ala al-Din and executed. Qutb-ud-Din Aibak manage to escape with his life and make it back to Ghazni.

While this battle was quite a footnote in the history of this ancient city, it was during this battle that something extraordinary happened.

And that something was a man named Arslan [1].

Born sometime during 1171-1176, he was a member of an impoverished tribe living in the territory of the Western Khara Khanids. He was captured as a child during a slave raid on his village and sold to a merchant in Samarqand where he was taught how to help the man during his dealings in trade and economics as well fighting on a horseback from the local garrison. For the next twelve years, he would be a part of the merchant’s caravan, travelling from place to place visiting the most destitute of villages to the richest of cities in the Central Asian steppe.

While his story might have ended with him been quite a well off merchant in the future with his life been of the many destroyed by the invasion of the Mongols here something else happened.

While trading around Balkh, the caravan was set upon by Ghurid scouts who suspected that the caravan might hide spies for Tekesh, with information on the garrison in Balkh. This small fight killed the merchant as well as many of Arslan’s compatriots some of which he knew since he was a teenager. Now, quite angry at the Ghurids for killing his friends and the merchant (and probably for killing his meal ticket) he joined the invading Tekesh’s and the Khara Khanid armies with the remaining guards of the caravan.

During the siege and the following fight, he discovered he had an extraordinary ability to command men as well as loads of charisma with which he kept his men happy throughout the battle. By the time that the Khwarezmians had fought off and won against the Ghurids he had rose to the position of the second-in-command under one of Tekesh’s generals and son Muhammad. This was quite an extraordinary rise for someone from such a simple background.

In 1193, after the Battle of Balkh, the Khwarezmians were approached by one Qutlug Innach who was fighting the Seljuk sultan Toghrul III, for help. In response, Tekesh sent his son Muhammad and the Khara Khanid force to capture Rey, a city in Iranshahr. Arslan had accompanied the army Tekesh had sent and he saw firsthand the defeat of the army near Rey by Toghrul III. He further learnt the tactics used by the various Turkish armies. While Muhammad was defeated and captured, he managed to stop the battle from turning into a rout. After a treaty was signed between Tekesh and Toghrul which released Muhammad from captivity, the state of war was generally over. Arslan returned back to Samarqand where he was starting to get a bunch of power hungry ideas but for now he kept that close to himself as he became a commander in the army of the Western Khara Khanids.

The coronation ceremony of Prithiviraj Chauhan as the King of Aryavarta was not received well in Kannauj by Jaichand. He was further incensed when he heard that man had fathered a son with his daughter. As we see in the present day, an angry person doesn’t make the best decisions. Any attempt to militarily reconsider the coronation was a failure as the Chauhans thrashed aside the Gahadvala army in three separate occasions at the Battle of Mathura, Battle of Kisganj and the Battle of Mainpuri in which during the last battle every one of Jaichand’s sons died as the elephants trampled most of them in the battle.

The Chauhans then laid siege to Kannauj and it took more than six months to capture the city as Jaichand refused to give up even when Prithiviraj had agreed to let him be his vassal and rule Kannauj in his stead. It took a riot to break out in the city walls to finally capture it. Jaichand, who was quelling the riot was struck by a rock and bled to death on the streets.

Conquering Kannauj, the seat of the legendary Harsha did bring some legitimacy to Prithiviraj’s claim to rule North India. Consolidating the environs of the Gahadvala state while not difficult was not easy as well. The Chandelas of Jejabhukti were old enemies of Prithiviraj but at this point in time they were one of the weakest of the Bundelkhand kingdoms. One march from his general and friend, Pajawan Kachhwaha, had them scrambling to surrender to him. The Paramaras were already his allies and so were the Guhilas of Mewar. So, his attention fell next to Magadha and the sprawling Sena dynasty in Vanga [2].

15th of the month of Kartika, Vikram Samvat, 2045.
University of Thanesar computer chat room, Balkhi OS.

R. Chandel: Is there any truth to the ‘Prithiviraj Raso’ [3] thingy. Recently just bought the book and my mother loved it and forced me to read it too. Thought it was going to be boring but the poem was beautifully written.

Sha. Trivedi: Nope. While there is some truth about it, the accounts are greatly exaggerated. Like who’s going to believe that Prithiviraj managed to gain the loyalty of the Lohari [4] nobles by wrestling ten elephants?

Suv. Bhumi: And also written in the book is that the dude’s son, Bhīma, had four arms and four heads and Prithiviraj remarked how he was blessed by the warrior gods. Like who’s going to believe that?

R. Chandel: Okay, okay. I think you both made your point. I used to think that description of Bhīma was because the poem wanted to show him more as a warrior or something. Honestly, felt weird too.

U. Yadav: It is written here that Prithiviraj split Muhammad of Ghor in half, vertically.

R. Chandel: Okay. It seems like the story is grossly exaggerated.

A. Ahuja: Not to interrupt, but we have our Physics exam tomorrow. So, I think this discussion of what’s reality can be done after it.

[1] ITTL Original character.

[2] Ancient name of Bengal.

[3] Poem written both in OTL and ITTL about the exploits of Prithiviraj Chauhan.

[4] Hindu dynasty of Kashmir.

Here is the second chapter folks! I like that people are enjoying this.