Worth reminding that France is also now the main influencer of the peninsula with it's control of Milan and non official control of Savoy and Genoa,
Yes, but I don't think france will do anything too drastic, if the italian kingdoms are too busy dealing with ottomans they are not focused on france and the fact that the country has basically annexed milan savoy and genoa in everything but name. In relation to France, I see the country sending some troops to help in the defense, but nothing very grandiose.
Venice and Tuscany are still around and will definitely help Naples in fighting against the Ottoman threat
Yes, I think the most positive thing for Christians who are on the border of the territory of the Ottoman Empire is the fact that the alliance between France and the Ottomans will not take place. This allows for the creation of larger coalitions against the Ottomans without having a fear of France entering the war. For example a coalition of Austria, Poland, Naples, Venice, Papal States and Tuscany is not a weak thing. All Italian kingdoms are stronger. Rome was not sacked, the Medici bank is strong and will probably be further developed as the kingdom expands. Naples doesn't need to send its money to Spain and now it can invest in its region and probably create a big navy.
and the lack of mutiple devasting wars will see the Peninsula still very rich even if stagnant and being left behind by the other powers
Yes, it will be more similar to Ottoman decay which is more gradual. Remaining important but in the long run it loses competitiveness. With the possibility of the Mediterranean being dominated by the Italian kingdoms or for the next century being an area of constant warfare between the Turks and Italians.

Yes, but I don't think france will do anything too drastic, if the italian kingdoms are too busy dealing with ottomans they are not focused on france and the fact that the country has basically annexed milan savoy and genoa in everything but name. In relation to France, I see the country sending some troops to help in the defense, but nothing very grandiose.

Yes, I think the most positive thing for Christians who are on the border of the territory of the Ottoman Empire is the fact that the alliance between France and the Ottomans will not take place. This allows for the creation of larger coalitions against the Ottomans without having a fear of France entering the war. For example a coalition of Austria, Poland, Naples, Venice, Papal States and Tuscany is not a weak thing. All Italian kingdoms are stronger. Rome was not sacked, the Medici bank is strong and will probably be further developed as the kingdom expands. Naples doesn't need to send its money to Spain and now it can invest in its region and probably create a big navy.

Yes, it will be more similar to Ottoman decay which is more gradual. Remaining important but in the long run it loses competitiveness. With the possibility of the Mediterranean being dominated by the Italian kingdoms or for the next century being an area of constant warfare between the Turks and Italians.
Indeed, France will be able to play nice with the other Italian states(especially it's allies Naples and Venice) and play the role of good Christian kings by sending money and troops to help the anti Ottoman coalitions out.

This is bad news for Charles V because the French are going to be focusing on conquering the Burgundian Inheritance and without the drains from constant Italian wars and the lack of gold and silver from the New World, Charles is gonna be facing a Sisyphean task to keep them from taking over the place. He'll probably split his realm earlier, giving the German parts to his brother and Spain to his son as to better focus on them, which means that we'll see a Austria looking at the HRE instead of the Ottomans

Indeed, France will be able to play nice with the other Italian states(especially it's allies Naples and Venice) and play the role of good Christian kings by sending money and troops to help the anti Ottoman coalitions out.
How kind of the French to help against the Ottomans, they are truly protectors of the Italians.It's a great deal for the French, it's cheaper than going to war with the Ottomans and it uses a lot less manpower. Not only that but it can also be used as a card with the Austrians. Promising help against the Ottomans (being able to play the good Christian king) and at the same time trying to expand into the hre.
This is bad news for Charles V because the French are going to be focusing on conquering the Burgundian Inheritance and without the drains from constant Italian wars and the lack of gold and silver from the New World, Charles is gonna be facing a Sisyphean task to keep them from taking over the place.
Yes, the chronic lack of money will only increase with more wars with France. This lack of money will make the Spaniards focus on new forms of production to increase revenue. The first is to increase sugar production in the Atlantic islands, but I think this will encourage the Spanish to massively produce sugarcane in the Caribbean to try to balance the accounts. They already have experience since beginning of the 15th century the Spanish and Portuguese began production of sugar in earnest in the Madeira, Azores (1439), the Cape Verde Islands (1462), and São Tomé and Principe (1486) using slaves (mostly bought from the kingdom of Kongo). So the Caribbean sugar boom will start sooner. In addition, they have the unique opportunity to save the Aztecs and ask for gold and silver in exchange for protection (probably in addition to helping the Aztec empire expand).Besides that, there is also a colony in the Philippines to trade with China. Besides maybe starting to expand in indonesia to try to get more access to spices.

The Austrians, on the other hand, will have a lot of trouble generating resources, so probably, as you said, they will depend more on HRE. Perhaps the Austrians will change their capital to Prague with an almost absolute focus on the Holy Empire or do the opposite and concentrate their efforts on having greater control of Bohemia and Hungary. Basically doing something like the austro hungarian empire earlier.

The French just took control of Brazil in 1532. Unlike the Portuguese, the colony will probably not have the hereditary captaincies that were created in 1534. In otl the captaincies failed, this failure can be explained by a combination of factors, such as the administrative inexperience of many grantees ( did not have a central government), the lack of internal communication and the difficulty of communicating with Portugal, the scarcity of resources to promote the development of the captaincies, conflicts with the indigenous people, among other things. The Portuguese Crown then realized that it was necessary to centralize power in the Colony. For this, was created the General Government, a centralized system in which the General Governor had authority and power over the entire Colony.Knowing the French, the colony began with a central power but with several private expeditions such as Blancard's to extract Brazilwood and other tropical products. In about 10 years the french will start producing sugar and then we will basically have the french and spanish producing all the sugar in the world,
He'll probably split his realm earlier, giving the German parts to his brother and Spain to his son as to better focus on them, which means that we'll see a Austria looking at the HRE instead of the Ottomans
yes that means problems for the rest of europe, because if austria manages to make the HRE functional the country will be very, very powerful. I think maybe Hungary will in the long run have another Habsburg king being separated from the Austrian Habsburg empire, serving as a buffer state between the Ottomans and Austrians. Thus having three separade Habsburg kingdoms: Spain, Austria and Hungary.

Last edited:
Any chance we will see Gonzalo Guerrero show in this timeline? His life seems intressting enough for a mention.
Another one with an interesting history is Hans Staden, a German mercenary adventurer from the 16th century. Twice, Staden was in Brazil, where he participated in combats in the captaincies of Pernambuco and São Vicente against French navigators and their indigenous allies, and where he spent nine months as a slave to the Tupinambá Indians.
As a whole I really like the colonial period for its potential to change the next few centuries with simple changes.

While I find it difficult for Hans Staden to appear due to France having won the dispute in Brazil, peculiar figures like Hans and Gonzalo give the author more space to play with the story. Giving a certain bizarreness to the story, as Tom Clancy said "The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." For example, one of the reasons why the Spanish fleet lost to the British was that it was that the wind blew the Spanish ships northwards. Something neither side had control over. Or the Incas going into civil war due to leadership dying from the epidemic that was sweeping the American continent.

I hope not. It would be cliche.
Well it depends on how they survive it's not cliche. Them beating tarasca empire alone would be cliche, not least because they took a beating. But there are ways to make the Aztec people survive, even if the Aztec state does not exist. In addition, depending on how the siege is resolved, the Aztecs may be the first people to convert to Catholicism.

That makes sense
Yep.
I moreso meant that this tl deals with what if Aztecs weren't colonies by the the Spanish.
So the butterflies maybe leads to the Aztec state collapsing at a later date at the hands of other Natives/Europeans.
Yeah. I definitely see the Aztec culture and people surviving. Just not the state.

I think the Aztecs’ saving grace may be the rest of the former Triple Alliance. Taking Tenochtitlan is grand for them, but they’ve no reason to want a stronger Purepucha out the other side.

Yep. I moreso meant that this tl deals with what if Aztecs weren't colonies by the the Spanish.
they are not conquered, but the Aztecs becoming a client state would not technically be conquest. With empires like the purepecha surviving longer.
I think the Aztecs’ saving grace may be the rest of the former Triple Alliance.
I tend to agree with @Mayukh they aren't strong enough, so I think the saviors of the Aztecs will be the Spaniards. They will enter the war in exchange, probably, for the conversion of the Aztec Empire to Catholicism and very favorable economic agreements. Basically doing what the Portuguese did in the war between Ethiopia and the Ottomans. Served as a support base against infidels. Then maybe we will have Aztec crusades against infidels in Mesoamerica.