The Invasion of 1812, A Northumbrian Survival Timeline

Sorry to be finicky;) Proper stand your teaspoon up in tea or that monstrosity that Americans try to pass off as Tea?:D
Anyway nice to see this timeline get the attention that it deserved the first time round.

So, from what I can tell, Germany-Polonia is the superpower of Europe, with Byzantium and France lagging a ways behind in second and third place. It seems an anti-G-P coalition may form.

Mind if I ask how other sections of the world are doing? How's China without all that extra silver from Spain, and just Asia in general? The Caliphate sounds interesting (though obviously on the decline). Who controls Armenia? What does Persia look like? India? Central Asia? I'd just like to get a full view of the world.:)

Sorry to be finicky;) Proper stand your teaspoon up in tea or that monstrosity that Americans try to pass off as Tea?:D
Anyway nice to see this timeline get the attention that it deserved the first time round.

Decent Irish Breakfast made by myself. I kept the nuclear option of assam in reserve. And yes, you could definitely trot a mouse across it.

Thanks, my fellow Nunthorpian, for your ongoing support. Update imminent.

So, from what I can tell, Germany-Polonia is the superpower of Europe, with Byzantium and France lagging a ways behind in second and third place. It seems an anti-G-P coalition may form.

Mind if I ask how other sections of the world are doing? How's China without all that extra silver from Spain, and just Asia in general? The Caliphate sounds interesting (though obviously on the decline). Who controls Armenia? What does Persia look like? India? Central Asia? I'd just like to get a full view of the world.:)

Well, the action of the TL is in the British Isles, so I haven't really pushed the world background beyond the coasts of the Americas, West Africa and a vague reference to Persia. You may assume that despite a bit of weakening a great Muslim empire still dominates Northern India. Given butterflies, China could be anywhere in its perennial cycle of strength and weakened centrifugalism. My knowledge isn't very sound between the Ming and the declaration of the Republic ca 1912 - I only teach World History to 1500. Central Asia belongs to Muslim khanates based on urban trade and nomadic pastoralism. Armenia and Georgia are independent Orthodox kingdoms though the former is under pressure from the Arabs. Byzantium and the Caliphate are now well-matched militarily. The Persians are a rising power.

Yes, Germania-Polonia is the strongest power in Europe, then, as you perceive, France and Byzantium. Spain next. Frisia is small, but becoming a major economic power. Bohemia, Hungary and Kiev are middling powers with potential. Italy is just too divided. Byzantium would have no interest in a western war, except perhaps opportunistically to snap up Sicily-Calabria. Their focus is east and their desire to recapture the Levant from the Arabs, as in the tenth century. No one can challenge Germania-Polonia in either population or military strength. This is why France wants to conquer Anglia in 1812. The Latinised name of G-P reflects the fact that the Parliament uses Latin and the elite is classically educated, as elsewhere in Europe.

Childhood and accession

[FONT=&quot]1743, Royal Palace, York[/FONT][FONT=&quot]:
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Edward XIII looked down at his newborn child. He seemed healthy enough. This time, they would give it a week before baptising him. Better to be on the safe side. His queen and wife, Siobhain, had come though the arduous thirty hours of labour despite all predictions though she was very weak. The king’s plump face creased into a tender smile. Perhaps this time the baby would survive. After seven miscarriages and three infant deaths, he didn’t think Siobhain could survive another pregnancy. He mused on his own unhappy childhood. Having produced an heir, his father, Edward XII, had ignored his mother, Ethelflaed of Mercia, for his mistresses. He was cold to Edward and neglected him before dying prematurely of syphilis. The king sighed. He had never really felt ready for his role, but would much rather have been an architect. His good-natured face brightened. Perhaps he could be known as Edward the Builder, like his ancestor Ethelred. Though if the boy died, he was more likely to be Edward the Last. Then, unwontedly, he made a firm resolve, a decision he was to keep all his days, uniquely: the boy would be well-prepared for the throne as well as loved. That at least he could do. Now what about these ceilings. The Earl of Richmond had been telling him recently about the Italian stucco work he had seen on his Grand Tour and had recommended architects. He beamed myopically. Everyone was so kind and clever. Well, the treasury was a bit bare, but he could probably raise more money from Lichfield.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A Princely Education[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: Edward, Prince of York, did survive. The king, his father, gave him the best of everything and his darling mother oversaw his education. Salisbury priests tutored him in Theology and Rhetoric. Winchester dons taught him Law and History. Scottish Mathematicians prepared him for his naval service. The celebrated scholars of Armagh, summoned by his O’ Neil mother, taught him the Classics. Native speakers instructed him in the usual Gaelic, Welsh and French, but also German, Italian, Spanish and (Byzantine) Greek. There were concerts and balls, hunts and military manouevres. His father had spared nothing to prepare him to be king and in so doing had all but bankrupted the realm. At fifteen, in 1758, he had become a Midshipman in the North Sea Squadron, learning practical seamanship, discipline and hard living. At twenty, he passed for Lieutenant and served in the Irish Sea Flotilla for three more years before the inevitable promotion to Commander. At twenty-three, in 1766, he was bought a lieutenancy in the Northern Borderers and spent three years as the butt of jokes of the drunken louts in the officer’s mess. In 1769 he was promoted to captain and finally allowed to return to court. His father arranged for him to serve as a secretary at the Foreign Office (1769-70), then the Treasury (1770-72) under the clerical cabinet ministers who dominated his father’s government. Though he had fought Richmond’s ascendancy as royal favourite and the unmitigated profligacy he encouraged in the king, he could not break his hold. His father’s guileless good humour simply refused to see ill in him. In exasperation and desiring to pursue further knowledge, he persuaded his father to name the worthy old Earl of Pontefract as his designated regent in case of mischance and also to allow him to travel on his Grand Tour. So, in summer 1772 he set forth, touring first the British Isles and then the continent. He had indulged his curiosity across the capitals of Europe: observing the slightly faded grandeur of France with a skeptical eye, the industriousness and piety of Germania-Polonia, Italian Art and Science, the fascinating revelation of Magyar constitutionalism and of course the other-worldly antiquity of Eastern Rome. The messengers announcing his father's death and his own accession had finally caught up to him in Persia in late 1777. At thirty-four he had become king and just as he had acquired a taste for poetry. It took him three months to return to Northumbria[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]March 1778, Pontefract Castle[/FONT][FONT=&quot]:

The elderly Earl of Pontefract was now finished with his duties as Regent, having acquainted the dashing young king with the full extent of the wide-ranging problems he now faced: likely bankruptcy, a restive peerage led by the insolent and ambitious Richmond, an insubordinate army and the ultras of the Ecclesiastical faction determined to oppose innovation. He was reaping the harvest of the last two reigns of excess and idleness. The Earl looked at the tall, vigorous, dark-haired young man sat opposite him in his study. He seemed quite cheerful with his glass of port despite the enormity of his problems. Would he have the gravitas to face it and the auctoritas to pull the monarchy out of the mess? After half a millennium on the throne was the dynasty in its dotage? Edward hadn't talked much during the various debriefings and conferences though he had asked cogent questions and written endless notes. He was always a good lad and bright, but would it be enough?

The young king looked up and smiled at his faithful Regent. How fortunate he felt in his support. Pontefract looked worn and tired, but he'd see him through another year or two with good advice.

"So," said Edward "I have given our dilemma a great deal of thought. Clearly, a firm, but not inflexible, hand is needed on the tiller. We must include the other factions from the Privy Council in the cabinet, but not their leaders. We will woo the Episcopals to divide them from the Earls and favour the Barons over the Earls. That means starting slowly with reforms. But, in any case, the most pressing problem is finance. We cannot default on our loans. It would compromise our sovereignty to have bankers from Lichfield, London and Antwerp dictating our policy. Therefore, we must retrench. But the structure of government and the army has to change at once. I am going to enlarge the cabinet and shift the chief executive function from the Lord Chancellor to a new office, the Prime Minister. It works quite well in Budapest. Anyway, it is the only way I can exert control. I have considered the personnel reports and watched many in the court and have come up with this cabinet. As you see, it draws on the old, but changes functions and leaves some empty titles now outside the cabinet.

The old Earl put on his spectacles and compared the list of the old cabinet and their affiliations with the new:

The last cabinet of Edward XIII:

Lord Chancellor: Adalbert Thorne (Episcopal)
Foreign Secretary: Bishop of Beverley (Royalist)
Lord Marshal: Earl of Westmorland (Jarl)
Lord High Admiral: Earl of Hull (Episcopal)
Chancellor of the Exchequer: Bishop of Ripon (Episcopal)
Lord Privy Seal: Earl of Lothian (Episcopal)

The first cabinet of Edward XIV:

Prime Minister: Bishop of Beverley (Royalist)
Foreign Secretary: Earl of Morpeth (Jarl)
War Secretary: Edward XIV (Royalist)
Admiralty Secretary: Baron Dalkeith (Royalist)
Lord Chancellor: Adalbert Thorne (Episcopal)
Chancellor of the Exchequer: Bishop of Ripon (Episcopal)
Home Secretary: Baron Leeds (Royalist)
Lord Privy Seal: Bishop of Bolton (Episcopal)

"As you see, I take a role myself and we have a near majority in cabinet. Thorne is a pragmatist. He'll see the value of keeping outside influences from Northumbria. The Jarls will be furious with the new military departments, but by wooing the Barons, we divide them. The Archbishop will agree because I will give him the majority of our ambassadors to nominate and because I'll have a quiet word about the abuses of celibacy we have documented among his subordinates, the mistresses, the comely curates and so on. Even the church can't afford a scandal. Still, it is quite risky and I may be overthrown." Edward grinned.

The Earl was speechless with the daring of the plan and taken aback by the king's sang-froid. He must have learned a thing or two in Constantinople. Perhaps he'd make a politician yet. He seemed to relish the game.

Edward suppressed his grin, reflecting not on his political position, but rather his near-escape in Isfahan. Just as well that asthmatic Canon Kendal from the Constantinople embassy had been so loud and so slow coming up the stairs of the inn. Dear Reza, the inn-keeper's beautiful twenty-five year old son, had got out of the rear window with exceptional celerity. He couldn't have taken the high moral ground with the Archbishop had he himself been caught in flagrante delicto.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Two days later, Coney Street in York, The Treasury[/FONT][FONT=&quot]:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"We simply must balance the budget," said the king. "The debt is now almost nine million crowns and the interest alone consumes one third of our expenditures. Father sold or mortgaged the last estates just to keep afloat last year. I am cutting expenditure on the palaces by two thirds. We shall keep only the palaces in York and Edinburgh open. All noble pensions will be rescinded immediately. We must simply plead necessity. Besides, the pensions are mostly guilt money from Grandfather to the battalion of his bastards. We can cut some money from the army and civil service, but not much. That still leaves a shortfall even if it is a decent year for the Head Tax, Tolls and Customs revenues. We must find more money."

[Author's note: The silver crown was the currency of early modern Northumbria. It was equivalent to about a shilling. There were twelve pennies to a crown.]

The Earl nodded, but was impressed. It would be touch and go though. There would be vocal opposition to the cuts from the Jarls. The bishops might support it, not least because the Archbishop of York was owed 400K Crowns and the Bishop of Bamburgh another 300K. Would it go beyond opposition? A number of idle wastrels would lose their income with no warning.

[/FONT]

Tea needs to be darker than coffee ;)

When I gave my first afternoon tea in 1995, my doctoral adviser asserted that the tea was stronger than East African coffee and suggested that one of the ladies make it instead. I have moderated since then. :)

i sometimes tend to make fresh tea in the evening, and let it mature over night.
utterly strong in the morning, but great to wake up with.

you're as bad as my sons who steep the tea for a minimum of 30 minutes.

If in a teapot that's the minimum:D
Teabag in a mug two or three minutes and a stir.

So is a crown roughly equal to £10 in present day terms ($15)? The penny must be subdivided into "ha'pennies" and "farthings" at least.
EDIT: Given the budget deficits of today £10 per crown might be a bit optimistic it could be £100 or £1000!

If in a teapot that's the minimum:D
Teabag in a mug two or three minutes and a stir.

So is a crown roughly equal to £10 in present day terms ($15)? The penny must be subdivided into "ha'pennies" and "farthings" at least.
EDIT: Given the budget deficits of today £10 per crown might be a bit optimistic it could be £100 or £1000!

Gosh. Not sure how much it would be. The pennies are divided, yes. The debt is a fair amount of brass for an undeveloped agricultural kingdom.

How can tea be darker than coffee? Or are we talking American dishwa... coffee? I mean, the test for proper coffee is to fill a teaspoon, and if you can see the bottom of the spoon, your coffee/water ratio was off.

Northumbrian Debt

In 1777, the entire income of the Northumbrian government was 1,289,000 crowns. That included 179,000 of mortgages on the last royal estates (a few in S. and W. Yorkshire). Expenditure was 1,389,000 after the mortgages. Interest payment on the debts was 429,000 crowns, approximately one third of expenditure and 38% of normal income. This is similar to the level of indebtedness of OTL Bourbon France in 1780s. Inflation had been relatively low over the centuries. The debt was very large for its time and place. International opinion confidently predicted bankruptcy in 1778. No one would extend so much as a guilder in credit. Below is the debt for Northumbria in 1777 with interest indicated and listed oldest to newest:

2.5 million crowns (4%) Merchants of Bristol (Free city).
1.2 million crowns (5%) Merchants of London (East Anglia).
0.8 million crowns (5%) Merchants of Norwich (East Anglia).
0.5 million crowns (4%) Merchants of Lichfield (Mercia).
0.5 million crowns (5%) Archbishop of Salisbury.
0.5 million crowns (5%) Archbishop of Winchester.
0.5 million crowns (6%) Bishop of Wells.
0.4 million crowns (3%) Merchants of York.
0.4 million crowns (4%) Archbishop of York.
0.4 million crowns (5%) Archbishop of Canterbury (Kent).
0.3 million crowns (3%) Bishop of Bamburgh.
0.3 million crowns (8%) Bankers of Antwerp (Frisia).
0.3 million crowns (7%) Bankers of Amsterdam (Frisia).
0.3 million crowns (9%) Merchants of Copenhagen (Denmark).

Government expenditure in 1777:
Interest on debt 429,000 crowns.
Administrative salaries: 300,000 crowns (including the church).
Palaces/ceremonial: 300,000 crowns.
Military expenditure: 100,000 crowns.
Royal pensioners: 100,000 crowns.
Naval expenditure: 80,000 crowns.
Royal Funeral: 80,000 crowns (including donatives to nobles).

Total: 1,389,000 crowns

Income in 1777:
Head Tax: 800,000 crowns.
Customs Duties: 250,000 crowns.
Tolls: 60,000 crowns.

Total: 1,110,000 crowns.

Mortgages 179,000 crowns.

Grand total: 1, 289,000 crowns.

Treasury holdings: 0.

Last edited:
Coup attempt

[FONT=&quot]June 1778, The Privy Council Chamber, Royal Palace, York[/FONT][FONT=&quot]:

It had been two months since the king had announced the political and budgetary changes. There had been uproar from the Jarls and bare acquiescence from just enough of the Bishops. Lord Chancellor Thorne, now Sir Adalbert, had been invaluable. Enough had followed the example of "the weathercock" to win the day. Edward had no illusions about this next meeting. His bosom friend and travelling companion, Frithuwald, Baron Dalkeith had two loyal platoons of the Royal Guards hidden in adjacent chambers. Thank God for old "Fruity." Edward straightened his uniform, opened the door and strode confidently into the Privy Council Chamber where the magnates were assembled. The Peers bowed, but grudgingly. So far, so good. The meeting that followed was stormy. Baron Liverpool was slamming his fist on the table and roaring "No more duties on claret" in a drunken bellow calculated to reach the top of the mainmast in an Irish Sea gale. Then events took a turn for the dramatic.

There was widespread bemusement as Sir George Fox and Sir Edgar Compton flung open the door and entered. The ambassadors to Lichfield and Copenhagen had left their posts without permission. Bemusement turned to panic as the two diplomats drew swords, cried "Death to the Swales" and were followed by a band of officers. Edward barely had time to register the irony of the declaration - both were sons of royal bastards and his second cousins on the wrong side of the blanket - before Compton was upon him. Edward grabbed his right wrist instinctively and then headbutted the good knight. He fell clutching his broken and bloody nose. Drawing sword, the king parried defensively while bishops and peers dodged right and left. His Grace the Bishop of Beverley took his crozier to a red-faced Major of the Yorkshires, but otherwise the Council was more concerned for its own skin. "Fruity" rushed in with his guardsmen, alerted by the noise, and a brief and bloody skirmish ensued. But treason was averted and Edward survived.

Early in 1779, Edward mused that the incident had been a Godsend. The Privy Council had been impressed by his pluck and sheepish about their own rather inglorious behaviour. He chuckled remembering his Scottish tavern trick. "Interesting town, Glasgow," he thought, "though it was no Dumbarton." Yes, the Council had rallied and unanimously approved the death sentence for the conspirators. Compton, Fox and the two dozen officers of the army and navy who survived had hanged. The paederastic Compton was the last of his line and so his estate was forfeit to the crown. Fox's son was allowed to inherit, but the estate was fined. The officers' families suffered no penalty. Corruption trials at the War Office led to exiles and more confiscations. In the end, the treasury survived the year with a meagre twenty thousand crowns in reserve though he had at least reduced the Antwerp and Amsterdam debts each to 100K crowns each. Edward used the brief period of harmony after the attack to address problems in the church. He removed the five abbots from his Council for the spiritual good of their orders and replaced them with five commoners, amongst them the young Sir Leonard Hardy. Four minor ambassadors of the Episcopal faction were dismissed the diplomatic service for misdeeds as various as peculation, drunken assault and the breaking of celibate vows. The Bishop of Carlisle was defrocked for adultery and two other bishops died. The king replaced them with loyal churchmen and moderate Episcopals. Young Leofric Collins was recalled as Ambassador to the Vatican to become Bishop of Doncaster.

The army remained incompetent despite his best efforts, but he had rewritten the drill manual in conformity with modern French practice. The officers resisted change and progress was limited. [/FONT]

Last edited:
[FONT=&quot]Advent 1779: York[/FONT][FONT=&quot]:

"Well, young Edward had squeaked a win," thought Sir Adalbert Thorne. "He was a rare plucked un! He'd followed the right man. Perhaps he'd tell him one day."

He looked over at the lively young king even now taking pleasure in squeezing every last crown from the revenues to balance the budget and pay down the debt. Edward took joy even in this dry work. It looked as though he'd survived another year. It was a major stroke to have paid off the high interest loans from Antwerp and Amsterdam, the great banking centres of the North. Even now he reckoned that he'd pay down Denmark's loan by fifty thousand. Thorne had waited all his life for a decent leader to follow, shifting and tacking until he found him.

"Well, Sir Adalbert," said the king. "We are still afloat just about and confounding the naysayers. If we can just pay off the big guns abroad, it will give us more room to manouevre at home. Time to clean up the army. The broad-buttocked old fools in Pocklington encampment are still defying me at the war office, slicing off their brown and fat and swilling their claret while their men wander the villages selling wares like pedlars. Time to shake them up a bit. I'll fire a shot across their bows."

Two days later, Edward XIV cashiered two generals and six colonels. The red-faced old men swore and grumbled like badgers, but had no recourse but to retire to their estates and plot. The army was watchful, but it wouldn't rise for them.

The Minster of St Peter, June 1780:

Lady Edith watched the coffin of her aged father pass down the aisle. She stifled a regret that Edwy could not have returned from Constantinople in time to have received his last blessing. Still, there he was as pall-bearer with dark young Edward as his yoke-mate. The king honoured his old servant. After the coffin came the red and gold uniforms of the Royal Guard. The prelates in their golden robes and pearl-trimmed mitres led the way, cantors intoning and thurifers sweetening the air with incense. The long requiem mass wound its stately way all afternoon. Edward himself pronounced the eulogy from the high pulpit, praising his faithful old steward. The Earl of Pontefract was dead. But his state funeral was laying him to rest among the great and good of the Witanagemots of old rather than the family vault in Pontefract. It was a fitting end.

It was a year of change. When Bishop Waugh of Bamburgh died, Edward surprised everyone by appointing the Bishop of Beverley as his successor. The Prime Minister forfeited his office to become the second highest prelate in the kingdom. The dynamic young Dean of Ripon, a moderate Royalist, took his place as Bishop of Beverley. Further defections among the Barons and Commoners brought him a bare majority in the Privy Council. It would need a fair wind though to keep all his new supporters loyal. The balance of power was fragile.

The Second Cabinet of Edward XIV:
Prime Minister: Sir Charles Spennymoor (Royalist)
Foreign Secretary: Earl of Morpeth (Jarl)
War Secretary: Baron Selkirk (Royalist)
Admiralty Secretary: Baron Dalkeith (Royalist)
Lord Chancellor: Sir Adalbert Thorne (Episcopal, leaning Royalist)
Chancellor of the Exchequer: Bishop of Doncaster (Episcopal)
Home Secretary: Baron Leeds (Royalist)
Lord Privy Seal: Earl of Pontefract (Royalist)

[/FONT]

Last edited:
Christmastide 1780:

Leofric Collins, Bishop of Doncaster, gave his fiscal report to the king after the rather meagre Yuletide feast. It had been a bumper year for revenue. The king had ordered the entire Copenhagen debt paid off. He had never been happy about the links between the Danish court and the conspiracy of his late Ambassador, Sir Edgar Compton. Now he was free of the Danes and their intrigues. Bishop Collins though could report further surpluses. Edward insisted on the repayment of one hundred thousand crowns of the debt to the Bishop of Wells. As a prelate himself, Collins could only approve. The treasury surplus was up to one hundred thousand crowns.

Later in his solitary chamber, the king read the confidential report of his War Secretary, Baron Selkirk. Its conclusion was that after immense effort, wheedling, threats and cajoling the quality of his majesty's army had improved from utterly disastrous to very poor. The king shook his head and smiled at the young adjutant who came to retrieve the report.

Harvest Festival 1781: Hemsworth Village:

Lady Edith was presiding over the harvest festival near the great family castle. The traditional ribaldry between youths and maidens amused her in a remote way. She was twenty-two and had laid off her mourning garments for her father in the late Spring. Suitors had begun to congregate, attracted by the broad acres of her family's holdings and her trim figure, chestnut hair and deep blue eyes. The trouble was, as one young hearty of the hunting set confided to another, that you never knew what she was thinking. Deuced awkward. A chap doesn't want a clever girl. His companion suggested that she might do for Baron Dalkeith. That set off a great deal of coarse laughter. "Good old Fruity!" ejaculated young lord Athelstan between gasps for air. Lord Oswald stamped his feet and slapped his thigh in appreciation. "Well, God knows, he has been visiting recently." They were oblivious as Lady Edith glanced over dismissively. Her self-contained and grave demeanour was untouched by their obvious assessment. She was used to being looked over like an unknown, but promising filly. They were thickset and handsome in a florid way, but not for her the callow sons of Jarls.

Baron Dalkeith rode up, dismounted and bowed to Lady Edith. She extended her hand in greeting and smiled. The howls of laughter from the lordlings left her untouched, but drew forth a stony look from Frithuwald. Then he shrugged and smiled back at Lady Edith. "My Lady, another visitor will join me shortly. He wonders whether he might seek refreshment and shelter for the night." "All strangers are welcome here" replied Lady Edith. An intuition flashed across her mind.

Late October 1781, Pocklington Encampment:

Colonel Wallace watched the drunken brawl with amusement. Some damnfool young subaltern had stood his ground against the adjutant's ribald "loyal" toast "Up with the Swales" accompanied by expressive antic gestures. Captain Haygarth was not a man to let this pass. Rank was rank after all. The silly young prig had just been debagged and was coming into closer acquaintance with a carrot. He was putting up a good fight though. Let the old women at the War Office issue another complaint. What cared he?

Things only really got serious when the subaltern, his pride and posterior rather bruised, yelled "treasonous dogs, gallowsbait." Then several swords were unsheathed and Lt the Lord Aethelswith Dalkeith was run through amidst cries of "Royal bumboy." He didn't die, but it was touch and go. There were many aching heads in the morning and the camp was in a high state of fear and tension after that. Haygarth knew that his goose was cooked and was haranguing the men against royal tyranny and degeneracy and in favour of the ancient liberties of the Yorkshires. The mood was ugly. Few liked the reforms and they didn't want an end to their easy discipline. After all, it wasn't as though Northumbria had any enemies. The church made sure that God's peace was enforced throughout the islands. Colonel Wallace was weighing his options. Could the Earl of Richmond be persuaded to a rising or would they be putting their heads into a noose? The Jarls were angry and they had many supporters among the officers of the county levies.

Haygarth could be very convincing. He had a long purse and had distributed many barrels of mead. The levies were with him. Colonel Wallace was just about to issue his orders when they heard the approach of horses. There were no pickets at the gate and the cavalry just swept in. Several troops of the Royal Household Cavalry galloped up to the assembled troops with sabres unsheathed. Dark Edward was upon them! The king leapt from his saddle and strode straight through the mass of milling levies. They parted before him, cowed. He reached Captain Haygarth who was drawing a pistol. Edward cuffed him with the back of his hand and the adjutant staggered from the blow. He was paralysed with shock and a punch to his jaw tumbled him to the earth. Edward was beside himself with fury. "Get up, you damned craven, drunken, poxed whoreson bully! Fight a man, not a boy." Colonel Wallace seized the moment and ordered Haygarth's arrest. The king dismissed the levies to their mead, posted pickets strategically and convened courts martial that afternoon and in the days following. In all fully a quarter of the officers of the Yorkshires were cashiered on the spot. Haygarth was exiled and Wallace demoted to Captain. Edward appointed a loyal Yorkshireman from the Household Cavalry to assume the colonelcy. It caused resentment, but, for now, the mutiny was over and the remaining officers cautious.

Last edited:
[FONT=&quot]November 1781, War Office, St Helen's Square, York[/FONT][FONT=&quot]:

"My lord Selkirk, we must cut out the rot and be damned to the consequences. These levy officers don't know their business and won't learn it. Discipline is appalling and the drunkenness and disorder a disgrace. Only the Bernicians show any competence at all. I prepared a memorandum a few years ago and have decided that the time is now ripe for its execution."

The Baron nodded resignedly. "Your Majesty, we have tried everything. The situation cannot go on as it is with treason a constant danger, but any threat to the established military order could well lead to a rebellion. They say that the Earl of Richmond is hosting a lot of officers at his shoots."

"Yes, I have considered of it. We must have decent officers when we choose to strike, but we must also move slowly and seem innocuous. To that end, I am going to announce the establishment of a military academy to train future subalterns. I have bought the waste ground at Nunthorpe across the river. We will build bare barracks there and instill drill and discipline under French officers I shall choose. There are several exiles in the south who have fallen afoul of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Charles XII[/FONT][FONT=&quot]'s new wife. Many are eager for employment and will come for a modest competence. We say nothing about the future of bought commissions, just training."

"Well, your Majesty," replied Selkirk "We can't be any worse off. Keeping the cadets nearby and away from the old encampments will remove bad influences."

So, Nunthorpe Military Academy was quickly organised and opened in time for Whit Term 1782 in bare and austere wooden buildings. The cadets were drilled, exercised and taught military history, theory and practice. Engineers and artillerymen had their own lecturers. Le petit Cédric was a particular favourite. The French officers grumbled about the rain and the mead, but were soon settled into a most absorbing challenge. King Edward was a frequent visitor and used the cadets as pages in the Palace in between terms to keep their loyalty intact. They flourished and revelled in the dubious distinction of their black uniforms, the gift of an ambitious Hull merchant to the king.

The fat levy officers just made more jokes at the king's expense and resolved to give the young whippersnappers a hard time when they joined the county levies after their book-learning. Soldiers were bred, not trained.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Winter Solstice, 1781: The Treasury, Coney Street, York[/FONT][FONT=&quot]:

Bishop Collins had left the report for the king before celebrating Mass at St Martin's, the Exchequer church. Edward XIV absorbed its details rapidly. Early indications of a further good year financially had been justified. Now they were getting somewhere. He had paid off the debt to the Bishop of Wells, the last of the high interest loans his father had resorted to. One less prelate to worry about. Besides, his credit must now be much improved.[/FONT]