The Invasion of 1812, A Northumbrian Survival Timeline

Not much of a personal vote for the independents then?

If I'm close on one of the parties, that means I'm wrong about the balance between the other two, and I'd guess that one of those is he Liberals. So I'll assume that Quintus Green does have both a personal vote and coattails, leading the Liberals to a better showing than mushy centrist parties usually turn in, and that disillusionment with the incumbent government sinks the Conservatives.

Christian Progressive 57
Conservative 34
Liberal 26
Independent 3

The independents were squeezed out by the intense competition between the parties. Good reasoning on your revised estimates. They are closer. Update imminent.

Results of the 1825 general election

18th July 1825, General Election:

Conservatives: Galloway Mid, Berwick, Peebles, Teviotdale, Morpeth, Hexham, Upper Teesdale (Sir Wulfstan Peake), Bernicia N, Carlisle (Sir Dunstan Hambledon), Furness, Rheged Mid, Rheged NE, Rheged SE (Earl of Westmorland), Ripon, Beverley and Wolds, Pickering (Sir Osbert Darrow), Easingwold, Skipton and Keighley, Uredale, Nidderdale, Fylde, Wharfedale, Ribbledale, Altrincham and Cheadle, Morecambe (Lord Alfred Cunningham), High Peak.

Independents: Galloway NW, Pennines N, Hull N (Admiral Sir Swithin Sutcliffe).

Liberals: Dumfries E, Galloway E, Galloway N (Baron Galloway), Galloway SW, Edinburgh S, Edinburgh W, Eskdale (Sir Waldeorf Steele defeated), Lothian N, Tweeddale (Lord Selkirk), Bamburgh N, Durham and Wear, Sunderland, Kendall, Rheged NW, Rheged SW, York: Acomb, York: Fulford (Wystan Elmet defeated), York: Nunthorpe, Hull E (Sir Quintus Green), Hull S, Sheffield W, Selby and Goole (Lord Goole defeated), Wakefield and Dewsbury, Colne Valley, Pocklington, Lancaster E, Lancaster W, Burnley and Clitheroe, Oldham and Rochdale, St Helens, Mossley and Hyde, Stretford, Stockport, Darwen, Accrington, Pennines Mid.

Christian Progressives: Dumfries Cen, Clydesdale, Ayr and Cumnock, Edinburgh Cen, Edinburgh E (Owain Donaldson), Edinburgh: Leith, Edinburgh N, Lothian E, Midlothian (Earl of Dalkeith), Lothian W, Bamburgh S, Newcastle E and Tynemouth, Newcastle W (Michael Armstrong), Blyth Valley, Jarrow, Middlesborough, Hartlepool and Stockton, S. Tyneside, Auckland, Stanley, Spennymoor, Easington, Gateshead, Penrith (Baron Yanwath), York: Clifton (Gabriel D’Avoult), York: Heworth, York: Minster and St Mary (Earl of Hull defeated), York: Walma, York: Westfield, Hull Cen, Hull W, Sheffield Cen, Sheffield E, Leeds E, Leeds W, Doncaster, Bradford, Pontefract, Halifax, Barnsley and Stocksbridge, Rother Valley, Scarborough and Whitby, Richmond and Swale, Lancaster N, Manchester N (Gladwine Culkin), Manchester S, Liverpool E, Liverpool W (Captain Sir Edward Rathbone), Bolton, Bury, Preston, Wigan, Salford, Warrington, Forest of Bowland.

Conservatives: 26 seats (-24).

Independents: 3 seats ( -6).

Liberals: 37 seats (+19).

Christian Progressives: 54 seats (+11).

A new government

For the second consecutive election, a sitting Prime Minister was defeated in his own constituency and forced to resign his office. Edward XIV took great pleasure in asking Sir Owain Donaldson to form a government. The voters had blamed the Conservatives for the unpopular policies of the previous government. They had betrayed their populist promise of rural almshouses. In many ways, their numbers had been artificially high and had benefitted from vote-splitting. Sir Quintus Green had no ties with the previous government and had benefitted from his association with the great days of the Progressives. The Christian Progressives were the party of the moment whose ideas suited the prevailing ethos of pious service. Their opponents feared to precipitate a new election and so permitted them a minority government.

[FONT=&quot]The Eleventh Cabinet of Edward XIV[/FONT][FONT=&quot]:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Prime Minister: Sir Owain Donaldson
Foreign Secretary: Earl of Dalkeith[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]War Secretary: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Baron Yanwath[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Admiralty Secretary: Captain Sir Edward Rathbone
Lord Chancellor: Edberg Ward
Chancellor of the Exchequer: Michael Armstrong
Home Secretary: Gladwine Culkin
Lord Privy Seal: Gabriel D’Avoult[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Postmaster-General: Sir Joshua Morley ([/FONT][FONT=&quot]Halifax)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Minister of Works: Peter Pateley ([/FONT][FONT=&quot]Scarborough and Whitby)[/FONT]

CP achievements and failures

July 1825 – May 1826:

Sir Owain Donaldson quickly proposed a radical King’s Speech. It passed by 56 to 46 votes with eighteen abstentions. This opened the door to immediate legislation through the Home Secretary, Gladwine Culkin. The bill to curtail child labour passed by a massive 94 votes to 26. This was followed by the industrial safety bill which passed by 69 votes to 29. The Education bill failed by 59 votes to 61. The Almshouses bill passed by 64 to 50 votes. The Trades Unions bill which enshrined the right of collective bargaining failed on party lines by 54 votes to 66. Lastly, the Artisans Co-operatives bills passed by 61 votes to 59. In the early spring of 1826, Sir Owain Donaldson decided to fight his battles before the electorate sooner rather than later. He called a general election for 24th May 1826. The result was very close to the previous election:

Conservatives: 23 seats (-3).

Independents: 3 seats (nc).

Liberals: 36 seats (-1).

Christian Progressives: 58 seats (+4).

Last edited:
Long live the king!

The period after the general election was very busy in Parliament. Sir Owain once again put forward the Education bill. On this occasion, it passed by 62 to 58 votes. Edward XIV’s last official act was to pass it into law in late June 1826. He was 83 years old, still hale except for his arthritis and mentally quite acute.

29th June 1826: St Helen’s Square, York:

It was a golden evening after a most delightful summer’s day. Edward XIV had dined with the Dean and Chapter of the Minster after the High Mass of St Peter. He had insisted on walking to the Home Office in St Helen’s Square with Gladwine Culkin and Colonel Sir Godric Murray. As they strolled slowly keeping pace with the king and his cane, they talked earnestly of the chances of the Trades Unions bill passing into law. It would be very close once again and there could be no further election for a few years yet. Culkin began to speak of the king’s Golden Jubilee in the following year when the king suddenly stopped. They turned to look at him and saw a look of puzzlement and a trickle of blood seeping from his mouth. Edward XIV simply said “Patroclus, my beloved,” before collapsing. Only then did they see the sword protruding from his back and the bizarre figure wielding it, a noble in scarecrow finery. He yelled “Die, Anglian Catamite! Die heretic! Die thrice accursed murderer of the Valois!” Colonel Murray launched himself unarmed at the Frenchman. He received a pistol shot to his left shoulder before bowling the shabby prince over. The Anglian and the Frenchman rolled on the stone paving with Murray exerting an increasingly effective stranglehold on the assassin. The furious struggle ended abruptly with the assailant’s death. Sir Godric had completely crushed his larynx. Murray was pouring blood from his side from the several dagger wounds the dying man had inflicted. He crawled over to his king just as Edward XIV crossed himself and died. Godric sprawled weeping over his lover until his own death scant minutes later. Edward the Great of Northumbria and Colonel Sir Godric Murray lay in the square their blood intermingled. Their assailant was the half-mad and wholly fanatical Prince Louis-Charles Sebastien Baptiste de Valois, cousin of the late Henry VIII of France, son of the Count of Artois and sole survivor of the murder of the royal family at the Tuileries thirteen years earlier. Edward XIV was dead. Long live his noble majesty Edward XV.

Last edited:
:eek: Given that Edward XIV was 83yo I knew his death was imminent but not in this most unexpected and dramatic fashion.

Well done and (I thought I'd never say this but) Long live the King.

:eek: Given that Edward XIV was 83yo I knew his death was imminent but not in this most unexpected and dramatic fashion.

Well done and (I thought I'd never say this but) Long live the King.

I'd decided on it early in the weekend in order to add a bit of dramatic flair and to pick up the earlier threats of the Valois to kill him. A lot went his way, so this righted the balance a bit. I really enjoyed having a radical bi king and a royal family prone to lavender marriages. Very glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for your support throughout.

I am toying with the idea of an epilogue, but am not sure how far forward it would extend. Someone much earlier asked me to give a sketch to the present. Mine would be more like a generation.

I'd decided on it early in the weekend in order to add a bit of dramatic flair and to pick up the earlier threats of the Valois to kill him. A lot went his way, so this righted the balance a bit. I really enjoyed having a radical bi king and a royal family prone to lavender marriages. Very glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for your support throughout.

I am toying with the idea of an epilogue, but am not sure how far forward it would extend. Someone much earlier asked me to give a sketch to the present. Mine would be more like a generation.

Well it has been quite fun to travel such a different road. Familiar in many places and yet so different. Anything more would be nice but it does seem a suitably dramatic close to a dramatic life :)

Well it has been quite fun to travel such a different road. Familiar in many places and yet so different. Anything more would be nice but it does seem a suitably dramatic close to a dramatic life :)

Thanks RR. I really appreciate your help and stalwart support. I have written a limited epilogue which I will post later to-day, but I would like to give people the chance to comment first. I will continue my Tales of an Alternate Northumbria in a new thread with:

[FONT=&quot]3: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The Anglian Reformation:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] “[/FONT][FONT=&quot]It is better to cure a sick man than to kill him.” [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4: The Royal Saint: Edward of Ampleforth.[/FONT]

CA.

I have greatly enjoyed this TL. I will understand if you end it here. Any more that you write will be enjoyed.

I have greatly enjoyed this TL. I will understand if you end it here. Any more that you write will be enjoyed.

Thanks very much. You have been consistently encouraging and I really appreciate that. Need to ring mother, then will put up the epilogue. Watch out for a new thread which will also end with A Northumbrian Survival Timeline. Not sure when I'll get to that, but probably soonish.

Epilogue:

Edward XV (1826-40) buried his father and Sir Godric Murray together in St Peter’s Minster. Parliament legalised homosexuality and passed the Trades Unions bill at his request as a tribute to the great king who had saved Anglia and restored the glory and prosperity of Northumbria. Edward the Pious ruled with a light hand, intervening only to protect the weakest of his subjects. When Prince Edmund of York was twenty-two, Edward XV finally fulfilled his lifelong dream of abdication and entered the seminary of his beloved Salisbury. In 1843, at the age of 55, he became parish priest of the church of St Francis in Walma. He died at the great age of 88 in 1876, one of the last survivors of the French War and still a parish priest. His son Edmund IX (1840-98) continued the transition to constitutional monarchy. Queen Angharad guided him well. Northumbria continued to prosper in the nineteenth century, enjoying excellent relations with its neighbours and developing into an industrial powerhouse. The Christian Progressives dominated politics for the generation after Edward XIV’s assassination, but their rule came to an end in 1851 when the Conservatives once again attained power. The Liberals continued to be represented in Parliament, but were a declining force after the death of the dynamic Sir Quintus Green in 1838. Education, peaceful industrial relations and the tempering effect of an activist and nurturing church kept the realm unified. Urbanism continued to flourish and in time, York ceased to be the largest city in Northumbria, displaced first by Sheffield and later by Manchester.

Anglia as a whole remained politically detached from the continent and its strife and alarums. In 1834, the elderly Archbishop Coombe took Salisbury into union with Somerset and Dorset to form the kingdom of South Anglia. It was a strongly constitutional monarchy under the rule of the Princes of Dorset. The ports of Bristol and Southampton rivalled London and Colchester as great commercial cities though the former did not attain it pre-1812 population once again until the early twentieth century. The Princely Archbishopric of Winchester remained aloof. Mercia also industrialised, but to a lesser degree than Northumbria. East Anglia remained a wealthy commercial kingdom.

Philip VI (1813-37) secured his Montmorency dynasty in France. He fought a Second Latin War (1826-29) successfully against the Spanish and League of the North and began France’s orientation to the West and South. Her defeat of the Berber Caliphate opened the way to limited French colonialism in West Africa. Germania-Polonia remained at peace for most of the nineteenth century, becoming the dominant economic power in Europe. The Empire was racked by occasional strife between its German and Polish nobility despite Kaiser Casmir’s hopes. Spain began a long decline in 1820s, wallowing in reactionary politics and class strife. France was able to renew itself politically through a limited constitutionalism and the Montmorency dynasty’s covenant with the bourgeoisie. Byzantium seized the Duchy of Calabria during the Second Latin War and was able to push the Arabs east and south out of Anatolia, Armenia and Georgia. Syria eluded her grasp though.

The Americas developed slowly in the nineteenth century. France took colonies around the coast of Chesapeake Bay and in OTL New Jersey, but remained confined to the coast. She also seized Spain’s Carribean colonies. The states of the British Isles developed more trading colonies, but never sent settlers to make more permanent towns. Their relations with the Skraelings were broadly positive.

Although industrialism developed in Northern Europe, technology advanced more slowly than in OTL. The 1830s to 80s saw the great era of canal building. The steam locomotive was invented in York in 1876. Its use remained limited for some years, but by 1910s, railway networks became more extensive in Europe. The internal combustion engine has not been invented though bicycles and steamships have.

New thread

Well, no responses to the epilogue. I hope it was plausible.

Ash Wednesday seems a good day to start a thread on some religious developments in my alternate Anglia. It covers the Reformation and the Life of St Edward of Ampleforth, previously Edward IX (1645-61), king of Northumbria and will be called:

“It is better to cure a sick man than to kill him.” A Northumbrian Survival Timeline.

I thought it was quite good.
I will be keeping my eyes open for more of your writings.

Thanks very much. I just opened the new thread, mainly, it must be said, as a distraction from the fact that I have been fasting for twenty-four hours and have twelve hours yet to go.