The Invasion of 1812, A Northumbrian Survival Timeline

Late September 1812

As Offa XVIII drove the French Army of Devon to their doom, Edward XIV, now reunited with Prince Edward’s force and reinforced by new levies from the north drove the weakening Army of Wessex southwards. Two hastily reformed Kentish regiments and a Brigade of East Anglians joined his force. Even Angoulême now realised that the invasion was defeated. After the debacle at East Dean, only two of the seven army corps still existed. When a large force of Saxon militias overran the artillery train, the French were reduced to more of a rabble than an army. The final battle of the French invasion of 1812 was fought on 24th September on the banks of the River Test at Romsey. Northumbrian artillery ripped holes in the French lines in a long, long cannonade. The slow, menacing advance of northern riflemen firing every ten yards exacted a bloody execution. Finally, the heroic charge of the Royal Guard led by the king broke the French ranks. Edward XIV was wounded at the last and Captain Murray fought like a demon standing over his lover’s prone form. Angoulême managed to extricate ten thousand troops from the disaster to take ship for France at Southampton. In all, only thirteen thousand French escaped from Anglia. The Channel ports were evacuated amidst street fighting by 4th October. Over thirty-six thousand French soldiers were prisoners, including two army commanders, The Duke of Alençon and the Count of Berry. Edward XIV survived the battle of Romsey and was hailed as the saviour of the island. He was the only Anglian king ever to be called the Great.

Last edited:
I'd like to see this continue at least until the end of Edward's reign, then maybe a few posts to bring us to the present day would be nice. Excellent timeline!

Well, thanks very much. I can't guarantee anything after Edward's reign. There'll be a few interesting consequences of the invasion.

Well, thanks very much. I can't guarantee anything after Edward's reign. There'll be a few interesting consequences of the invasion.

Good TL

How about

The Irish arrive with reinforcements (including ships) and the final French forces are crushed.

Other European Nations take advantage of Frances "Weakness" after the loss of it 'British Expedition" and a 15 year continental war starts preventing the French from taking advantage of the war Ravaged British isles

A national 'Parliament' of British Princes headed by Edward is formed in the face of further threat's from France!

Under his tireless leadership the Island recovers and by the time of his death much of the damage has been undone and the British Kingdoms combined become one of the most powerful factions in Europe and the heart of the Industrial Revolution.

Eventually this ends up with a United British Kingdoms in all but name and eventually in name.

Thank you kindly. Some very interesting suggestions. I have a few similar thoughts though not quite the same.

Yes, the Ulster Irish were just too late for the fight. One of my favourite parts to write in the TL was the positive view of the Irish and Scots. Centres of learning and so forth.

Good TL

How about

The Irish arrive with reinforcements (including ships) and the final French forces are crushed.

Other European Nations take advantage of Frances "Weakness" after the loss of it 'British Expedition" and a 15 year continental war starts preventing the French from taking advantage of the war Ravaged British isles

A national 'Parliament' of British Princes headed by Edward is formed in the face of further threat's from France!

Under his tireless leadership the Island recovers and by the time of his death much of the damage has been undone and the British Kingdoms combined become one of the most powerful factions in Europe and the heart of the Industrial Revolution.

Eventually this ends up with a United British Kingdoms in all but name and eventually in name.

France's Fate

First I agree that Edward would unite the Isles under a U.S.-esque form of federalism, but no real central king or leader. There would be a senate, that would represent the different kingdoms, (2 each probably), and a house of representatives, based on population per realm. The new capitol of the isles could be Bristol, built on Edwardian principles (sewers, organized street plan, etc, etc).

France will have a revolution, bloodier and quicker moving than the OTL's revolution. I see several new countries rising up from the flames of France, and Germania and Anglia would probably capitalize on the situation. Anglia would probably take Brittany, because it has a Celtic culture. God knows how far Germania will extend toward the Bay of Biscay.

Really good time line so far, keep up the good balancing act.

Some good guesses, some not so close. Hope you liked the Earl of Montrose.

First I agree that Edward would unite the Isles under a U.S.-esque form of federalism, but no real central king or leader. There would be a senate, that would represent the different kingdoms, (2 each probably), and a house of representatives, based on population per realm. The new capitol of the isles could be Bristol, built on Edwardian principles (sewers, organized street plan, etc, etc).

France will have a revolution, bloodier and quicker moving than the OTL's revolution. I see several new countries rising up from the flames of France, and Germania and Anglia would probably capitalize on the situation. Anglia would probably take Brittany, because it has a Celtic culture. God knows how far Germania will extend toward the Bay of Biscay.

Really good time line so far, keep up the good balancing act.

So, is it the consensus that everyone would like me to continue this for a while? My notes from eight years ago are almost exhausted, but that needn't be a problem, if it's just a matter of Edward XIV. His character and the challenges are pretty well established now.

Most enjoyable :). If you're happy to keep writing I'm more than happy to keep reading.

Excellent. Thank you for your ongoing support. I have been charting out some possibilities and have written some more about the immediate aftermath.

You might recall that I want to publish this, suitably cleaned up, with less technical detail and more characterisation and dialogue. I chose other episodes for stories and have come up with a table of contents:

[FONT=&quot]1: The Great Deliverance: A Tale of Two Saints.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2: The King and the Bishop, A Wessex Tale. (13th century implosion)
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The Anglian Reformation:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] “[/FONT][FONT=&quot]It is better to cure a sick man than to kill him.” (1510s-70s)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4: The Royal Saint: Edward of Ampleforth.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5: Black Edward: The Royal Reformer.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6: The Invasion of 1812.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7: As a Phoenix rises from the Ashes: Anglia after the Great Invasion.[/FONT]

Any thoughts? 5 and 6 I have done and 7 I am undertaking. It struck me that 1-4 could form other TLs. Or would you (or others) prefer other episodes? They would have to be within the British Isles though they could include vignettes from outside.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Any thoughts? 5 and 6 I have done and 7 I am undertaking. It struck me that 1-4 could form other TLs. Or would you (or others) prefer other episodes? They would have to be within the British Isles though they could include vignettes from outside.

Well tis not done for a gentle rodent to admit to thinking but...

A certain person mentioned a lecture on a certain ancient Indian empire...which got me musing on what is the nature with European countries trade with India, after all with America very much a backwater in this TL Indian exports would if anything be even more of a driving force in the European economy. How and if you work that kind of detail in is up to you.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the ride with Edward XIV though the chap probably feels he has earned a rest I will gratefully except whatever else comes down the road :D

Well done Sir!

Last edited: