The Half King

15.1) THE ILLS OF ROYALTY
October 4th, 1753
Dresden, Saxony

The room was dark, and death hung in the air. The elector lay in bed, pale and clammy. For days he had been feverish, and clinging to life by a thread. It had begun several days earlier, after Fredrick Augustus [1] had gone on a walk through the palace grounds. Upon returning, he said he felt unwell, and it had all gone down from there. Medicine given to the Duke had only made him worse, and it seemed as though death was on his doorstep.
In the turn of events, no one had been more impacted than his son, Fredrick Christian, who sat just outside the room, waiting. ‘I must take matters into my own hands. It’s the only way.’ He wanted to assure his election as King of Poland, but he knew he needed help on the inside. ‘That Brühl [2] has done nothing but hurt our country, and if my kingdom is to reach its rightful place in the sun, I must secure power over Poland. I can at least count on Austria to back me, but I would need to gain confidence of some szlachta [3] to secure his win. Perhaps the Czartoryskis [4], since they are considered influential in the Sejm [5]. Brühl must be removed though. He runs Poland like he was the true king, and father has done nothing about it. Once he is gone, the plagues of corruption will be gone.’ As he sat near his father’s room contemplating these things, a doctor left the room with a somber look on his face. The prince rose to his feet, and the doctor took a bow. “Your highness, the Elector is no longer with us.” He took a pregnant pause while everyone in the vicinity bowed before their new elector. “We did everything we could but-“
“There you are! Please come quickly.” It was a servant, who seemed to be in quite a panic. “The Electress has collapsed, and it seems that she is coming down with the same illness the Elector has.” The servant suddenly realised what had occurred, giving a courtesy so the new elector and insisting the doctor come immediately. Elector Frederick Christian was now left alone to his thoughts. ‘Time is of the essence. I must get messengers, diplomats, and spies out immediately! Poland cannot be lost. But first, I must find Brühl and eliminate him.”
15.2) A DARK OMEN
“Тень страха потребляют все люди, особенно, когда войны маячит на горизонте [6] –Chancellor Bestzuhev
September 26th, 1753[7]
Peterhof Palace, Saint Petersburg, Russian Empire

She was surrounded by darkness, unaware of where she was. The empress felt as though something was calling her, almost pleading for her. Suddenly, there was a flash of bright light, and she became aware that she was staring at the ceiling of the throne room, surrounded by servants, and a worried Chancellor Bestzuhev [8] keeping a respectful distance. Her servants quickly helped her up.
“What on earth happened? Why were we [9] on the ground?” Empress Elizabeth did not seem amused at what had just happened.
“Your majesty, if I may,” began the Chancellor, “You were expressing your frustration that work on Tsarkoye Selo [10] was not advancing fast enough. I was about to deliver important news to you, but you fainted.” She looked perplexed as this had never happened before, but dismissed what had just occurred.
“We are fine aren’t we? So then Chancellor, what was the important news you wished to deliver?”
“A member of the secret police [11] confirmed that though King Louis XV of France is dead, as you already knew, the alliance between France and Prussia is not being annulled, but has been reconfirmed by the new King.”
“This is grave news, Chancellor. I believe we need to seek out an alliance with Austria and Britain to counteract this rising threat. Chancellor, I wish you to use all your diplomatic channels to arrange this alliance. If there is no further business, I must go prepare myself for this evening’s Métamorphose [12] Ball.” As she rose, she felt very light-headed, and once again, the ground was rushing up to meet her.

[1] A.k.a Augustus III of Poland, elected king; elector of Saxony

[2] Augustus’ first minister; rules Poland mercilessly, and is the real power behind the King

[3] The Polish Nobility that elects/participates in the Sejm

[4] Powerful szlachta family (also known as Magnate)

[5] The Polish Parliament; notoriously inept due to squabbles and the power of Liberum Veto (right by any Sejm member to block any legislation by saying I freely object)

[6] “The shadow of fear consumes all people, especially when war is looming on the horizon” in Russian. I cannot in anyway guarantee that is the right way to say it, or if it is grammatical gibberish. If anyone knows the correct way to say it, please tell me.

[7] Julian Calendar; October 7th, 1753 in Gregorian

[8] Minister of Foreign Affairs to Empress Elizabeth of Russia; instrumental to keeping up an alliance between Britain, Austria and Russia

[9] Royal ‘we’. Not entirely sure if the Russian Autocrats used it, but is referred to if one uses full title.

[10] Summer residences of the Tsars/Tsarinas; being rebuilt by Elizabeth in 1753

[11] Yes, Russia had secret police, abolished by Peter III in 1763, but reinstated by Catherine II upon her ascension to the throne

[12] Infamous ball held by Elizabeth where she would ask her guests to attend as dressed the opposite sex (yes this is OTL).

Yes I finally got around to researching what I needed to update more than one post (that implies certain things :D)
If anyone finds blaring errors or needs clarification please feel free to point out/ask
enjoy

16.1) RIPPLE EFFECT

Utadabun, Migisi [1], Oshkiginoozhe Bangan [2]: Canadian History of the 18th Century (Osassane-Schwartz Press, 1980)

“… October 14th 1753 was a day that helped bring the winds of change to the forefront. Hundreds of chiefs, clans, and clan mothers had assembled here near the coast of Lake Huron and the Sagine [3] River. Some rarely ventured this far south, and others were annoyed that they had to assemble so far from their homelands. The delegates came from many tribes including the Ojibwe, Odawa, Potawatomi, and Mississauga. The news of their Iroquois rivals switching sides in the spring had been the major reason behind the assembly. While the Iroquois were enemies, they had been able to deal with the French Colonial government effectively. Many chiefs among the Anishinaabe [4] wished to see similar deals between their peoples and the French. An Odawa chief addressed the audience, with charisma and passion. He declared that since the Iroquois had chosen to make their own future, that the Anishinaabe peoples must do the same. Gone were the days that they could expect to be left alone. The time to seek change, a future, and a protected status was now. The culture of the people must be preserved, he said, but that they must be pragmatic enough to incorporate European (or other) tools to benefit the people. His words would fall upon fertile ground, and many of the chiefs supported his plans. By the end of the conference, the chiefs agreed to send him to represent the Anishinaabe at Québec. While many believe that his words were influenced by Tanacharison, he was actually the leader whose ideas helped solidify Charisonism as a powerful ideology. That man was none other than one of the most important historical figures in the founding of our great nation, Waaseyiigizi Anang [5], or more commonly known as L’Étoile Puissant.

16.2) FRANCO-HAUDENO TREATY
LaSalle, Saro, The Birth of Haudène (Onen'ta'on:we Publishers, 2001)

“…The French delegates convened with those sent by the Haudenosaunee confederacy at Fort de la Callière in Montréal, on October 15th, 1753. When the gouverner-générale heard the delegates ask to sign a treaty, he was almost speechless. Here was the opportunity that Le Moyne had been looking for; a chance to expand French influence among the natives, as well as a chance to deprive Britain of allies. Fort de la Callière was chosen to sign the treaty for symbolic reference to the peace treaty of 1701 between the two parties. According to historical accounts from Antoine Beloeil [6], “The French delegates were very welcoming to our party, providing lodging, food, and began the negotiations with an exchange of two very fine wampum.” The Haudeno delegates were very direct with their aims: An alliance between the French and the Haudenosaunee Confederacy. As simple as this sounded, there were certain conditions the delegates asked. First was that the confederacy could control/limit colonization on its lands, with only certain types of colonists entering (such as young males) [7]. Second, it wished to allow (limited) French military installments, on the condition they also instruct natives to forge weapons, participate in the military training, and such. Finally, they wished to be treaty as an ally and independent nation, as opposed to a colony. These were extremely surprising terms, even to Le Moyne who had been expecting a hard bargain. Negotiations did drag on for days until a compromise was made. The Haudenosaunee would be allowed to regulate immigration, but not to the very strict standards they had hoped for. The military conditions were all accepted, although somewhat begrudgingly. The final condition was where the biggest compromise had been required. The status as an ally would be recognised, but they would be a vassal state of France. It was a slight blow to the goals they were trying to achieve, but the instructions of the Tadadaho had been to acquire ally status, and that end had ultimately been achieved. The treaty was considered the beginning of French domination of North America, a major step towards the independence of the Haudenosaunee, and the decline of the British power on the continent…”

[1] Ojibwe for ‘Eagle Daystar’; TTL several native double names have had the second translated as a last names, often also corrupted so ‘Oota Dabun’(Daystar) becomes Utadabun

[2]Ojibwe for ‘New Northern Peace’; not sure if the grammar is correct

[3]OTL Saugeen River

[4]Collective name for the Odawa, Ojibwe, Potawatomi, Mississauga, Chippewa, and Oji-Cree peoples

[5]Ojibwe for ‘Bright Star’; again TTL native double names read by non natives as first and last name (btw he is a fictional character)

[6] So I finally named that scribe of Tanacharison from part 5, who will have some influence over the ideologies coming from the region.

[7] The reason behind this thinking is so that they try to integrate into Haudeno society more easily.

Last edited:
I see that you've put in motion events that will help develop the Iroquois Confederacy into a modernized nation in the years to come. Will there be an equivalent to the United States, or has that been erased completely? And if so, what will be the fate of the British or French colonies in this TL? And how good would the Kingdom of Prussia's prospects have been at maintaining an oversea colonies?

I see that you've put in motion events that will help develop the Iroquois Confederacy into a modernized nation in the years to come. Will there be an equivalent to the United States, or has that been erased completely? And if so, what will be the fate of the British or French colonies in this TL? And how good would the Kingdom of Prussia's prospects have been at maintaining an oversea colonies?

The Iroquois definitely have a better future than most will :)
Yes there will be an American analogue, just in a way few would expect
The British and French colonies will remain colonies for a little while longer due to interesting butterflies unleashed
Prussia...it will have some interesting colonial ventures :D:D

Wow this is great! Just wondering, is the edict of nantes still in france or has it been anulled by the new french king?

The edict of Nantes was anulled in 1683 by Louis XIV with the edict of Fontainebleau
Louis XVI (current king TTL) anulls FONTAINEBLEAU by restoring the Edict of Nantes ;)

17) PAINT THE TOWN ORANGE
October 17th, 1753
Amsterdam, Dutch Republic

Le Marquis had been bending over backwards in the past month. With the news of the death of King Louis XV, the Dutch became very cool in their negotiations. Louis XV original conditions had been very unimpressive, and the Dowager princess looked down on them as an insult. It would appear as though his mission had failed until the following letter came from Louis XVI, which read:

"We would like to update my proposal and conditions towards the Staten Generaal. First, we wish to lower tariffs on any Dutch goods entering or exchanged in the Kingdom of France down to 2%, the lowest rate on any foreign goods. Second, I am not Louis XIV. I do not wish to seek the supposed ‘natural border of France’[1].
However, if the Dutch Republic of the United Netherlands would agree to a military alliance with our Kingdom against Austria, the division of the Austrian Netherlands[2] would be proposed as such. Brabant, Flanders, the Northern parts of the Bishopric of Liège, and Limburg would go to the Dutch Republic, while Hainault, Southern Liège, and Luxembourg would go to France. France would relinquish any claim to the cities of Antwerp and Brussels, the proposed territory, or any current territory of the Dutch Republic. In essence this is as much a peace treaty as it is a proposed alliance. We, the Kingdom of France assure no more conflict against the Republic. Thirdly, should the Dutch republic wish to sign a military alliance against Great Britain, We wish to support your navy, its
development, and its modernization. Fourthly, we offer the Trade station of
Albreda[3] on the Gambia River to your government, the Dutch East India
Company or the Dutch West India Company to run. Fifthly, we seek greater
cooperation between the aforementioned companies and the trade the we seek to do with your fair Republic. I am not here to impose my will on you, I am only here to see if such a tempting deal can be suitable to your wishes. These are the final conditions we the Kingdom of France seek with the United Republic of the Netherlands

Signed,
LOUIS XVI, Roi du Royaume de la France

That letter changed everything. The Staten Generaal had heard of his recent rescinding of the Edict of Fontainebleau, and the return of the Edict of Nantes. These developments were seen as helpful in mollifying the Dutch towards the treaty. However, the proposal to relinquish claims to the so called ‘Natural Border’ was seen with much more acclaim. The possibility of creating a secure southern border, one which saw constant warfare, was almost impossible to refuse. The only setback was the Dowager Princess. She was Princess Royal of Great Britain, and had a very arrogant way about her. While the she was pro-British, it was increasingly obvious that the public and the companies were becoming quite the opposite. With economic tension rising, and the Staten Generaal saw the entire proposal as a godsend. So Marquis d’Argenson decided to have a personal chat with her. Now reflecting back, the Marquis was amused at the amount of time it took to mollify her stance towards him, let alone the proposal. Yet, a month of hard work had finally paid off. Now as the delegates signed the new treaty, he felt the great relief of being able to fulfil the last wish of the late King. France now had a leader at its helm, and d’Angerson was determined to find any way to help this new and glorious era.
[1] An idea based of earlier Bourbon Kings, who claim the Rhine is the ‘Natural Border’ of France; not sure where they got the idea from
[2]OTL Belgium and Luxembourg
[3] A French Trading post on the Gambia River (Africa); Sort of compensation for stealing Gorée (in Senegal) from the Dutch several decades earlier

geschvdop.jpg

Last edited:

Stolengood

Banned
Keep it coming! :D

Just one suggestion... could you make your main text font a bit smaller? I find the large, serif font a bit difficult on my eyes...

franz-kollarz-sophien-bad-saal-a-court-ball-in-the-hofburg-palace-vienna.jpg

18) ROTTING FISH

Wien [1], Archduchy of Austria

October 7th, 1753

The ballroom was full of festive spirit. Aristocrats, ministers, and royalty discussed and danced as the night drew on. Yet amongst all the frivolities, Pompadour [2] was a Marquise on a mission. She had urgent news to tell von Kaunitz concerning his field of expertise. After searching for several minutes, she found him dancing with one of the Ladies of the court. As the music ended, and the pair parted ways Pompadour saw her chance.
“Care to ask this lady to dance?”
“Ah, yes Pompadour. What do you need from me?
"My, my, who do you take me as?"
“I take you as an opportunist.”
“Mind your manners when speaking to a lady of the court.” The couple gradually drifted toward the exit, as Pompadour continued to convince him to help her. After a few minutes they had left the ballroom and retired to one of the empty parlours.
“So what do you need from me, your grace?”
“Well I intercepted a courier who was bearing important news from Saxony.”
“Saxony?”
“Yes, Saxony. Apparently the elector died three days ago.”
“Oh dear, that cannot be good. Poland is going to be hell to go through all over again. [3]”
“Precisely, but that wasn’t all. There was a letter asking for a dispatch of Austrian Forces to Poland by the request of the Elector.”
“The current elector?” von Kaunitz seemed surprised.
“No, the late one. Apparently it was written while he was near death. I think that this would be a wise option, as we need to keep a ‘puppet’ to secure the Polish Throne in the required election. [4]” The words coming out of her mouth were very grave in the eyes of von Kaunitz, but he knew that once the emissaries reached Maria Theresa, then she would ask him for advice all the same.
“I guess that would be a prudent thing to do, but I must first get the Archduchess to agree, and the Russian Court as well. I don’t want Austria to be left isolated in this possible war.” The pair exchanged glances, and noted that they would need to be more private when discussing these matters in the future. As von Kaunitz rose to leave, he looked determined to face this new challenge and possible blessing. Before leaving, he addressed Pompadour saying, “Oh, and your grace?”
“Yes, minister von Kaunitz?”
“Remind me to improve the security of messages addressed to the Archduchess or myself, so this incident does not happen again.” The marquise flashed him a cunning smile at hearing these words.
“Certainly, minister. I will not forget,” and with that, the pair return to the festivities of the court without speaking another word the rest of the night. However, Pompadour held out on one fact. The elector had not written the letter, but instead the signature at the bottom was that of his first minister, Heinrich von Brühl.

bou_pomp2.jpg

[1]- A.k.a. Vienna
[2]- As mentioned in “7”, Pompadour is also known as Jeanne Antoinette Poisson, former mistress of Louis XV. I will use either name depending on circumstance.
[3]-Referring to the War of Polish Succession (1733-1738)
[4]- Poland has an elective monarchy which is elected by the Sejm (‘parliament’) in three special sessions.

No this won't be the only post, there will be more :D
consider it an early christmas present (if you do enjoy this TL) :p
As always, questions, comments, and critiques are appreciated.
Enjoy

etatsgen.jpg

19) RÉVOLUTIONNAIRE

« L’état doit utiliser tous ses ressources pour s’améliorer » - Louis XIV [1]

Hector Cluny, Louis XVI, the Phoenix King (University of Paris Press, 1994)
“…The early months of Louis XVI’s reign were very tumultuous. There had been protests from the clergy about the return of the Edict of Nantes, and many of the aristocracy where equally as shocked, considering the fact many supported the Church. In response to appease the Dévot faction [2] and Clergy, he did commission several churches and charities around Île-de-France, Provence, Normandie, and the Loire Valley. Even though it did not convince everyone, it did help him keep his powerbase content. Nevertheless, this was seen as a popular move to the Protestants, inside and outside the country. In Languedoc, those who had been closet Protestants began openly confessing their faith, and Louis XVI began to target the incentives to immigrate to the New World or serve in the armed forces, specifically to this region. This was met with some mixed success, and while Louis wished to devote more time to this, he had bigger problems at hand.
Aware of an upcoming war with Britain [3], Louis knew he needed to increase the crown’s revenue as quickly as possible. He knew that imposing it from above would be unpopular, just as it was when his father tried it less than two years previously. So again, his tactics surprised even his allies. For the first time in nearly a century and a half, the Estates General was summoned by the King. The assembly was far less rigid than in times past, due to the hastiness of the Assembly. The étiquette of 1614 [4] was partially upheld, but the third estate included members of the Provincial Estates [5] and City parliaments, while the second estate was comprised of several prominent nobility. Only the first estate was in any order to effectively be a political force. On October 23rd, 1753, the king opened the estates, and went straight to work with his agenda. Historical records report that “his voice was direct and frank, as he made it very clear that the estates were to raise the crown revenue.” He initially proposed a minor tax on certain imports, as well as tolls on some roads and canals. He also brought up the idea of the villes-franches in New France [6]. However, in order to afford war against Britain, he declared, the Nobility would have to be taxed; there was no other way around it. For days, the Second Estate refused to negotiate, and nearly left the assembly altogether. However due to the influence of the First Estate, the Nobility were kept under some control.
The news of the Dutch treaty arrived at Versailles on October 29th, proving to be the decisive factor in favour of the King. The deal was seen very positively by the Bourgeoisie [7], as they would benefit the most from access to goods and commercial trade with the Netherlands. As a result, the Third estate began to reproach the King’s proposal for taxation, on the condition that they would receive more representation. It was this topic that caused much contention amongst the second estate, but the third estate would not budge on the issue. It was in this moment that First estate saw their chance to wrestle a bit of power away from the nobility, as the majority of those in the Third estate (the agrarian poor) could be influenced more easily by the members of the First. So, the cardinals and bishops agreed to support some increase in representation of the Third Estate, in exchange for more spending on religious institutions, such as the Jesuits, Franciscans, and other orders. It would seem as though negotiations were nearly complete, but the majority of the nobility were still vocally opposing the proposal. It was on November 10th that a serious proposal was brought forward by the Second Estate. The merchant tax on trade (save that to and from the Netherlands and to a lesser extent Prussia) would be acceptable, as would the villes-franches in the new world. The tolls would be acceptable, but their prices would be reduced by 20%. However, the taxation imposed on the nobility would only be half of what was originally proposed, and only to be implemented during a state of war. Even this was shot down by a sizeable amount of the nobles, and it was feared that the motion would flounder.
Stanis%C5%82aw_Leszczy%C5%84ski.PNG

It was at that moment that the King’s grandfather, Stanisław Leszczyńki [8], the Duke of Lorraine, stood up and delivered one of the most daring speeches of its time. According to a member of the Third Estate, Armand Villeneuve [9], “the Duke rose from his seat upon hearing the opposition and rebuked them saying, ‘You are all whining children! You expect that your wealth to be untouched by the king, the very STATE that you owe your luxurious positions to. He is reaching out in a time of need for you to continue living in your comfortable estates, and on extremely generous terms. YET YOU ALL WEEP LIKE UNGRATEFUL CHILDREN! Accept that the time to help yourselves and your state is at hand.’” This speech caused uproar amongst several nobles, but it was in this moment that the king saw his opportunity to act. Since the Clergy and Third Estate were still in support of the modified proposal, albeit barely, the King asked for the nobles to vote on the matter as well. It took several hours but by the end, enough nobles had ‘agreed’ for the King to be satisfied and declare the motion legal. In retrospect, we see this as the first steps towards the death of absolutism in France, but in the eyes of Louis XVI, it was a way of using a new tool to manipulate all three estates. It was also in this meeting that the first seeds of dissent amongst the second estate were sown. Nevertheless, with the matters at hand ratified, the Estates were dissolved on November 14th, 1753, with plans to reconvene in July of the following year, outlining plans to reform the estates. In later years, Louis wrote that “it was a miracle that those estates even worked out at all. There were petty squabbles at least three times an hour, and had to be mediated by all means possible.”
It was near the end of the assembly that the secret police told Louis in private that Pompadour had been found in Vienna, welcomed into the court of the Archduchess Maria Theresa. The recent discovery that Madame de Pompadour had been working with the Austrians against his father was seen as high treason, and Louis wanted her brought to justice immediately. So he ordered the secret police to observe her and at the first opportunity, bring her back to France, by force if necessary. However on November 20th, very grave news emerged from Poland, which would mark the start of the second phase of the conflict that would come to be known as the First World War [10]…”

[1]- “The state must use all its resources to benefit itself.” Again if the translation is atrocious, please notify me how to correct it.

[2]- Faction that supported Louis, Dauphine of France OTL, Louis XVI of France TTL; pro-Catholic, Pro-decentralisation of France

[3]- Not set in stone, but the tensions are rising quick enough for Louis to realize that he needs to prepare.

[4]- Protocols of convening the estates, including the seating arrangements of the estates themselves.

[5]- Certain provinces (e.g. Brittany, Provence, etc.) have certain legislative power representing mainly the Third Estate of the Province in question

[6]- Mentioned in post “4.1”

[7]- The city dwellers (aka richest part) of the Third Estate

[8]- Former King of Poland, Duke of Lorraine, and a scientist/philanthropist at this point of his life; representative of the Second Estate (due to being a duke).

[9]- Purely fictional character TTL

[10]- mentioned in “13.1”