The Great Martian War

512cLe7fi%2BL.jpg

So far two books in the series, The Great Martian War written by Scott Washburn is, like Scarlet Traces and Global Dispatches, is a fan sequel to HG Wells' The War of the Worlds.

The story begins in 1908, eight years after the failed Martian invasion of Southern England depicted in Well's book. Humanity is shocked from the existence of the aliens and some nations are preparing for the likelihood of a second invasion; U.S. President Teddy Roosevelt in particular encouraged the Preparedness Movement (name after the same OTL movement during World War I except this time it is against Martians) and strengthening the American military, which have early steam-powered tanks. However, there are some doubters as people believed there won't be a second invasion given that it has been somewhat long after the first invasion and others believed that the Martian invasion was all a hoax. Eventually it happens of course.

Noticeably, Britain stubbornly refuses to share their spoils of the Martian tech and knowledge to the rest of the world (not unlike Scarlet Traces) until they do so when the second invasion becomes even more dire.

The books have a Martian villain protagonist. The aliens, referring by their native tongue only as "The Race", are given attention to their society, biology, and even sympathy (even though they have no problems sucking the fluids from humans they refer to as "prey-creatures") than in Wells' novels. What is more interesting is the author's depiction of Martian reproduction which reveals that the Martian buds also serve as body replacements in which they can transfer their minds into the buds when their body is failing or dying. Also genetic memory plays a big role in their life cycle.

The books does not hold back onto realism as to how both humanity and Martian deal in the invasion. The Martians have their superior technology and weapons, but they are still limited by their numbers and resources. Humanity have the opposite, but they are still strained by logistics and slow adaptation to new tactics against the Martians. The books even have Nikola Tesla turning his Wardenclyffe Tower into a Tesla Tower like in Red Alert, but while cool it is still impractical. Even the tanks aren't any different from their WWI counterparts and are still vulnerable to flanking, though worked in mass attack waves. Airplanes are still in their infancy and are only use to scout and observe. Martian tripods are still vulnerable to artillery and battleships, but can be utilize by their mobility and speed to counter their enemies and making havoc behind enemy lines.

The setting mainly focus on the Martian incursion in the New Mexico Territory (in OTL, NM becomes a state in 1912), but make mentions what's going in the rest of the world. The Martians invades Earth with 200 cylinders and landing in remote and isolated places where human military forces would not be able to get to the landing sites and exterminate them (as discussed in Wells' book). Within a span of a year, the Martians are able to completely overrun Australia and parts of South America, Eastern Russia, and Central Asia - mainly because these nations are ill-equipped to properly prepare. The Martians do not land in Europe because the European nations are too militarized that could overwhelm the invaders. British South Africa is struggling to hold the line, German Eastern Africa is "written off", the Suez Canal is defended at all cost by the British, and the same goes for the US with the Panama Canal. Germany, France, and Britain eventually sends expeditionary forces to Venezuela, Mexico, and Canada respectively. Refugee crisis's are happening.

Some historical characters get their shine including Roosevelt, Leonard Wood, Tesla, George Patton (who gets to ride a tank and gets wounded), Thomas Edison (who is still an asshole as in real life), Robert Goddard (whose getting ideas to make hand-held rocket launchers), and Harry Truman (who importantly helps one of the protagonists to taking down some tripods from stopping the evacuation of Santa Fe).

As of the second book called "Breakthrough", the invasion is not going to be over soon as the ending result in American military forces being utterly routed by the Martians and forcing President Roosevelt to order a mass evacuation of everything between the Rocky Mountains and the Mississippi River to the east. The Martians achieves their goal and spending their time to build their giant fortresses and forces, while the Americans do likewise as they begin to fortified the Mississippi and seriously build up their forces to retake the west in the future.

Overall the books are a fine, simple read. Even though the story is limited to the actions going on in New Mexico and among the viewpoint characters.

Last edited:
Sounds interesting enough. I've toyed with the idea of creating a story where the invasions of 1898 (the book), 1938 (the radio broadcast), and 1953 (the movie) are part of the same timeline. Of course, humans will be more advanced in the '38 and '53 invasions as they learn from the Martian tech. Maybe in 2005 (second movie) we go to Mars.

Sounds interesting enough. I've toyed with the idea of creating a story where the invasions of 1898 (the book), 1938 (the radio broadcast), and 1953 (the movie) are part of the same timeline. Of course, humans will be more advanced in the '38 and '53 invasions as they learn from the Martian tech. Maybe in 2005 (second movie) we go to Mars.
38 sounds like an interesting time for an invasion. :)

I say skip the 2005 movie reference because Tom Cruise (for being a terrible husband and parent), the modern plot and characters sucks in my retrospective. Try reading Scarlet Traces or watch animated movie Goliath. Or read Global Dispatches. They at least provide some interesting examples of a post-alien invasion setting. Furthermore the human invasion of Mars should be placed earlier than the 2000s because of reverse-engineered alien technology.

Last edited:
I've read both of these actually, bit to focused on the military fighting the Martians (never really a fan of the military angle in these stories) but I enjoyed them. I actually liked the Martian perspective the most, I found Qjentus? (I cant remember how to spell or say the Martian name, it's something to that effect :p) the most interesting character. Keen for the third book.

Try watching the upcoming BBC movie adaption of War of the Worlds that will make it time period appropriate aside from the Asylum movie.

THAT'S A THING?

I've read both of these actually, bit to focused on the military fighting the Martians (never really a fan of the military angle in these stories) but I enjoyed them. I actually liked the Martian perspective the most, I found Qjentus? (I cant remember how to spell or say the Martian name, it's something to that effect :p) the most interesting character. Keen for the third book.

Admittedly that is one of the downsides of the books along with a largely American-focus. It can be forgiven because it is still a alien invasion story and the US military should have their side of the story told in contrast to Wells' original story which is more from the POV of a average man.

Ditto about the Martians. The main character and some of the aliens are strangely sympathetic but keeping it true to Wells' Martians.

THAT'S A THING?
Read here.

Ditto about the Martians. The main character and some of the aliens are strangely sympathetic but keeping it true to Wells' Martians.

Read here.

I liked the weird ancient power struggles at play, I'm curious to see how it will end. But on the new WotW, I'm so happy, I dont know how many years I've been waiting for a remake that was set during the Victorian Era, so fucking stoked!

Thanks very much! I'm working on the first book of the second trilogy now. And there is a spin-off novel "The Texas Front" due out later this year.

I was going to ask a question, but occurred to me that it involved potential spoilers--I'll ask it as soon as I figure out how to use the "spoilers" function.

There are short interludes set on Mars between books 1 & 2 and Books 2 & 3. There is also a set of short biographies of most of the historical characters who appear in the books. There are no actual changes to the three books.

I have finished the manuscript for the next book in the Great Martian War Series! Still some editing to do, but we hope to have it out in January!