Chapter 1: The Good Berry
Volume 1: The Good Berry

Chapter 1: The Good Berry

Scientists estimate that more than half of all plants are edible in some form. A scant dozen account for more than 80% of calories eaten by the billions of people alive today. Wheat, rice, maize, bede, barley, and others have been changed by thousands of years of planting, harvesting, and experimentation into plants which are much easier for humans to plant, harvest, and eat. The process by which plants and animals are selectively bred for traits beneficial to humans is called domestication.

Domestication is not a singular event. It is an iterative process that may take hundreds or even thousands of generations. Every generation, those plants with the traits most desirable to humans are nurtured while those with undesirable traits are discarded. It is, in a sense, evolution by unnatural selection.

It should be noted that domestication, at least at the start, is not a conscious process. It was not started by some genius hunter gatherer who saw the potential to change plants. Ants have domesticated fungus and no one considers them geniuses. Plant domestication began as the unintentional result of the natural behaviors of both plants and humans.

1678713711227.png

Wild Teosinte vs. Domesticated Maize, with a hybrid in the middle[1]

Let us take a look at the domestication of black rice or manoomin[2].

From now on, we will use the name manoomin, meaning “Good Berry” in Anishinaabe, rather than the more common name of black rice. This is so that it is not confused with Asian rice, which it is only distantly related to.

We will use the term Menominee[3], meaning “people of manoomin” in Anishinaabe, to refer to the people who first domesticated manoomin. This is because the scholarly consensus is that they were Algonquian speakers. While this is an imperfect solution, it is better than using terms that suggest Siouan ancestry like psinomani, which means “people of manoomin” in Dakota, or terms like “proto-Anishinaabe” that suggest more continuity with the present than can be justified from the current evidence.

In the Mishigami[4] manoomin is an abundant food source that has been harvested for thousands of years. For most of that time, manoomin was a secondary food source, only eaten when other, easier foods were not available. This is hardly the recipe for domestication.

But something changed. That something was a fungus. Around the year 4000 BCE, a mutation in this fungus allowed it to grow unchecked on hickory trees. Within a few decades, the hickory population was devastated.[5]

Hickory nuts had long been an important food. They were tasty, nutritious and stored well for the long winters. With their (almost) complete disappearance, many people starved or migrated to other areas. However, some stayed and began harvesting another food that was tasty, nutritious, and could be stored easily even if it was harder to process. That food was manoomin.

As more hickory trees died, these people, the Menominee, started to spread manoomin to new lakes and rivers in order to ensure they always had a source of food. By doing so, they were unknowingly selecting for traits beneficial to people.

They would collect seeds around the same time every year. This selected for seeds that would germinate and ripen at the same time.

They would only transplant seeds if they had collected more than they needed. This selected for plants that made more and larger seeds.

At first, the Menominee would knock off the seeds with wooden sticks, or knockers. As they became increasingly dependent on manoomin, they began tying the plants to ensure no seeds fell off before harvesting, then cutting each stalk and knocking it thoroughly so that every seed fell off. This selected for seeds with a thick rachis, ensuring that the seed would not fall off until it was harvested by humans.

Once transplanted, these new plants would be isolated, preserving these traits. Then the process would begin again. None of these processes requires humans to consciously breed the plants for beneficial traits or even to notice the changes as they happened. It is possible that some traits, such as taste, were consciously selected for but it is by no means certain.

1678713773511.png

Domesticated vs. Wild Manoomin[6]

By the beginning of the pre-classical period, roughly 3000 BCE, manoomin was entirely dependent on humans for propagation. There was now no other way for their seeds to spread but to be planted by humans.

In some areas, fluctuations in water levels would lead to inconsistent harvests year to year. The Menominee began using damns and weirs to control water flow and thereby ensure high, consistent harvests.

As the population of the Mishigami grew, more and more manoomin needed to be grown to keep up with demand. More and more labor, fed by manoomin, was available to solve this problem. Fields that had once been dry were flooded to create rice bogs[7]. This allowed for the creation of large communal farms that could sustain large, sedentary populations. The first evidence for irrigation canals to flood manoomin fields comes from Mishi-zaaga’igan [Lake Mille Lacs, MN]

Manoomin was the staple crop of Minisian [North American] civilization. A majority of the total calories consumed by the Menominee were from manoomin. Of course, a majority does not mean all and the rest needs to be discussed. Other plants and animals were domesticated as part of the Mishigami Agricultural Package. We’ll discuss some of them next time.

[1] Taken from: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cb/Maize-teosinte.jpg
[2] What we would call Wild Rice, Zizania Palustris and Zizania Aquatica
[3] Not the federally recognized tribe of Menominee. That is actually an exonym; they call themselves Mameceqtaw.
[4] The area around the Great Lakes. Literally, “Large Water”
[5] This is the Point of Divergence.
[6] Taken from: http://arcadianabe.blogspot.com/2013/10/wild-rice-cascadian-style.html it actually just shows the natural variation in size of wild rice.
[7] The word paddy comes from Malay. ITTL, paddy fields will be introduced to the English long before Malay is. They will need a word for a rice paddy. Bog, as in cranberry bog, has been used in similar contexts so I chose it for this purpose.

Last edited:
Chapter 2: Only Fools Starve
Chapter 2: Only Fools Starve

We will take each member of the Mishigami Agricultural Package, grouped together by type. First, we will talk about the other cereals and pseudo-cereals.

Kiinwaa [Pitseed Goosefoot] and Sunflower

Kiinwaa
, the domesticated version of Chenopodium belandiere or pitted goosefoot, and the domestic sunflower served the same function in Mishigami society. They both functioned as staple crops for upland areas, replacing manoomin where it could not be grown. While neither had the yield that manoomin did, they were both less sensitive to drought.

Sunflowers in particular were widely grown even in manoomin centered communities. Rather than a staple, they were used as an oilseed crop. Sunflowers also had religious significance, serving as symbols for the sun, warmth, and summer. Painted sunflowers frequently adorned the walls of Menominee longhouses.

Soldiers often used the seeds of sunflowers as a snack on marches. If one happened upon a group of domesticated sunflowers growing wild, it was assumed to be the place where soldiers fell in battle. As far back as the classical period, the phrase “planting sunflowers” was used as a euphemism for going to war.

Minisian Barley and Maygrain [Little Barley and Maygrass]

Minisian Barley and Maygrain served the same function in Anugami society. Both served as winter grains to supplement other crops. Maygrain tended to be grown in more southerly areas. They were a minor part of the diet of the Menominee.

Next up, tubers

1679316925640.png

Bedes on a string[1]

Bede [Apios Americana/American groundnut]

Bede, hopniss, openauk, ohenata, chapelet, chotki, earth apple, ground pear, Eire peas, ground-beans, hodoimo, and aardaker are just a few of the names given to this most common of tubers. It is unique in the structure of its tubers, which grow on each node of its rhizome rather than merely at the end. The result resembles beads on a string, which gives bede its name in many languages. It also results in a very high yield.[2]

Every part of the plant is edible: tubers, beans, shoots, leaves, and flowers. Cultivars that increase bean or leaf yield reduce yield to the tubers and so are less popular. The sprawling nature of vine was reduced by domestication. They can be grown in colder, wetter, and more acidic soil than other staple crops. As a nitrogen-fixing legume, bede can also be grown in rotation with other crops. As in soybeans, nitrogen fixation was increased by domestication.

In the modern world, bede is the most important plant of the Mishigami Agricultural package and one of the most important plants in the world. In the pre-classical period, it was simply a supplementary tuber used mostly as a thickener for stews. This is mostly due to the small size of tubers at this time.

The domestication of bede was slow, as new plants are generally grown from tubers (resulting in clones) rather than from seed (which can have beneficial mutations). While beneficial mutations were rare due to the lack of seed planting, they could be rapidly propagated by planting tubers.

We will discuss bede more as it becomes more important in Minisia [North America] and especially once it spreads to Eurasia.

Biscuit-root [Prairie Turnip]

Unlike bede, biscuit-root (timsinee, timpsula, bread-root, prairie bede, or flour bede) produces only a single large tuber and is therefore grown from seed every year. Due to this, biscuitroot was more rapidly bred for traits favorable to humans, like increased tuber size and a lack of seed dormancy.

However, biscuit-root’s smaller yield and lesser hardiness kept it from becoming as popular and important as bede would be. Like bede it was an important nitrogen fixer for the Menominee.

Sunroot [Jerusalem Artichoke]

Unlike bede and biscuitroot, sunroot was not a nitrogen fixer but it did have a high yield and was very hardy. However, the tubers have a tendency to rot shortly after being removed from the ground. This made them less useful than bede or biscuit-root. For this reason, sunroot was mainly used as a perennial garden crop, harvested for its tubers throughout the summer and going dormant in the winter.

Sunroot uses inulin as a starch. Inulin cannot be digested by human stomachs, leading to unpleasant gas from those who do not know how to prepare it. The Menominee slowly boiled sunroot tubers with manoomin. The inulin would be broken down by the heat, avoiding unpleasant expulsions from the colon, and would sweeten the resulting soup or stew.

Sunroot tubers could also be pickled in brine or fermented into alcohol but these processes were usually considered too expensive to use on such a common garden plant.

Minisian Lotus [American Lotus] and Wapato [arrowroot] are also grown for their tubers. Unlike bede, biscuit-root, and sunroot, they grow exclusively in water. As such, they were grown in many of the same flooded fields as manoomin. They were never as important as bede, biscuitroot, or sunroot.

Lotus flowers were associated with youth, femininity, and love. Giving a young woman a lotus flower was a traditional part of courtship for the Menominee.

1679316952082.png

Common traits in domesticated plants[3]

Fibrous plants are especially important in the Mishigami. The ability to manufacture winter clothing was a bigger cap on population size than food production. We will discuss them next.

Minisian Flax [Lewis Flax]

A relative of old world flax, Minisian flax was used in much the same way. The resulting cloth was thin, however, and was not typically used for winter clothing. Its seeds were also used for their oil.

Kiimoo [Indian Hemp] and Minisian Milkweed [North American Milkweed]

Kiimoo and Minisian Milkweed were used as medicinal plants and for the production of fiber. Kiim’s latex was used as a chewing gum. Milkweed’s latex was used as a poison for arrows. Kiimoo would later be used in the production of paper.

Miscellaneous

Many other plants were used by the Menominee. Hairy Beans (Fuzzy Beans) were an important garden crop in this early period. Later, they would mostly be replaced by the common bean from Meso-Minisia. Frost Grapes were used to make wine, jams, raisons, and other important trade goods. Squash was used for bowls in the pre-ceramic period and later varieties were grown with sweet flesh for eating.

Ibimi (cranberries) were grown perennially in specially prepared fields. It is a myth that they grow in flooded fields. Instead, they grow in dry fields. Once the berries are ripe, the fields would be flooded. The ibimi bush is unaffected but the ripe berries would float to the top, easing collection. The berries were dried into raisons and used to make sauces.

Maple trees were tapped for their sap, which was turned into syrup, sugar, mead and other trade goods. Minisian Ginseng was used for its medicinal effects, much like similar plants in Asia.

These are just a few of the many plants used and/or domesticated by the Menominee. We cannot hope to cover them all but hopefully we have covered the most important. Next time, we will discuss some of the animals domesticated in the Mishigami.

[1] Taken from: https://www.cultivariable.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/hopniss-three-varieties.jpg
[2] Both Apios Americana and Prairie Turnips are often said to take two or even three years to grow harvestable tubers. This is not because they do not grow tubers in their first year but because the tubers have not yet reached sufficient size to be worth harvesting. As the first thing that happens during domestication is a size increase for whatever part is being harvested for, this would not be the case for domesticated forms.
[3] Taken from: https://ars.els-cdn.com/content/image/1-s2.0-S1360138513001696-gr1.jpg

Questions? Comments? Did I miss anything?

Last edited:
Ah, my neck of the woods! I was always hoping someone would do a wildrice domestication timeline - I simply don't have the background to do so. With iron, lead and, of course, copper, readily available throughout the region I see the people of Michigami having the potential to develop their metulurgy skills even further than OTL.

If I may make two small suggestions (well, one of them is practical - the other is just rule of cool :D ). In the Upper Midwest, it was also common for natives to collect acorns, roast them, and grind it into a flour. So, perhaps we see domesticated oak groves as well (time intensive to start - but once you have a grove going, it's much harder for an enemy to utterly destroy it, meaning you have a good fallback crop if nothing else. The second is an idea I've had for years - should the wheel get developed, perhaps dogs could be used as beasts of burden. Similar to Alaskan dog team but, well, with wheeled vehicles. And yes, this does mean you could see Dog Chariots become a thing: which kind of gives a whole new meaning to "Cry havoc and let loose the dogs of war!) :)

In any case, this is a great start and I'm looking forward to seeing how this developes.

In the Upper Midwest, it was also common for natives to collect acorns, roast them, and grind it into a flour. So, perhaps we see domesticated oak groves as well (time intensive to start - but once you have a grove going, it's much harder for an enemy to utterly destroy it, meaning you have a good fallback crop if nothing else.

The people of the Mishigami will continue to eat acorns, walnuts, surviving hickory nuts, etc. This update was more about the plants that were being domesticated, rather than wild plants being used. Since trees take such a long time to domesticate (long period before maturity, long life encouraging maintenance rather than renewal), I didn't really mention them.

The second is an idea I've had for years - should the wheel get developed, perhaps dogs could be used as beasts of burden. Similar to Alaskan dog team but, well, with wheeled vehicles. And yes, this does mean you could see Dog Chariots become a thing: which kind of gives a whole new meaning to "Cry havoc and let loose the dogs of war!) :)

Wheels won't be around for a long time in the Mishigami. Dogs will be used as beasts of burden. So will other animals. (No spoilers for next week)

Fascinating stuff, love microhistory like this. Keep it up!

very nice

In any case, this is a great start and I'm looking forward to seeing how this developes.

Thanks. Glad you liked it.

this is very fun indeed, and seeing the tuber crops be used alongside goosefoot and wild rice is very cool! I can't wait when the civilisations around the Great Lakes contact the civilisations around Mesoamerica and have the different crops spread across.

I also wonder what kinds of animals would be domesticated. Ducks seem to be a nice bet, and some sort of rat/mice hunter makes sense. Fox? Mink? Elk seem like a good fit too as they could eat grass and stuff, as is pronghorn, but I do feel it depends on how you wanna write these people.

Elk seem like a good fit too as they could eat grass and stuff, as is pronghorn, but I do feel it depends on how you wanna write these people.
Hmmm...
Elk (wapiti) are herd animals, which helps domestication, but moose are more at home in the bogs being used.

Pronghorn are further west and in much drier country. I doubt they get domesticated. At least by this culture.
Mind you, I'd LOVE to see chariots pulled by a team of a dozen pronghorn doing 40mph 65 kph across the prairie. And they can keep it up for an extended time, unlike horses.

Hmmm...
Elk (wapiti) are herd animals, which helps domestication, but moose are more at home in the bogs being used.

Pronghorn are further west and in much drier country. I doubt they get domesticated. At least by this culture.
Mind you, I'd LOVE to see chariots pulled by a team of a dozen pronghorn doing 40mph 65 kph across the prairie. And they can keep it up for an extended time, unlike horses.
I'm thinking elk and pronghorn because usually its the periphery that domesticates animals, and even though wild rice would be the main plant used they can still spread into the Mississippi and have contact with pronghorn.

I think moose is a good candidate too, and they'll be domesticated too, but I think elk would be better for general use and be more extensively used by peoples beyond the great lakes. I could see pronghorn be used like camels as an alternate animal that could move cargo much better than other domesticates. Maybe we get bison be domesticated due to elk and pronghorn domestication too?

One interesting thing about having these animals as steeds is that we probably would have a nomad culture which would alter how society is structured around america. A lot more nomadic invasions should result.

But something changed. That something was a fungus. Around the year 4000 BCE, a mutation in this fungus allowed it to grow unchecked on hickory trees. Within a few decades, the hickory population was devastated.[5]
Does hickory even grow that far north?
Zizania grows well into northern Saskatchewan, where no nuts grow at all.
From now on, we will use the name manoomin, meaning “Good Berry” in Anishinaabe, rather than the more common name of black rice. This is so that it is not confused with Asian rice, which it is only distantly related to.
Actually Zizania and Oryza are in the same tribe, so are about as related as wheat, barley and rye are to each other. Me, I'd not call that 'distant' at all. YMMV

Does hickory even grow that far north?

Native Range for Shagbark Hickory, used by many native american groups as a food source:

1679352189837.png

vs. native range for wild rice:

1679352496902.png

There is plenty of overlap (most of Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, etc.). This is where the economic conditions for plant domestication would first develop.

Actually Zizania and Oryza are in the same tribe, so are about as related as wheat, barley and rye are to each other. Me, I'd not call that 'distant' at all. YMMV

I am aware. Perhaps I was too flippant with the word "distant". The original version of that paragraph mentioned African rice as a comparison for relatedness. African Rice is quite closely related to Asian rice while wild rice is less closely related. I removed the reference to African rice to avoid confusion and may have created a false impression.

I stand by my phraseology. I would consider them distant enough to be called "distant". YMMV.

Last edited:
You'll.probably see bison domestication in time as well. There was bison culture into Minnesota - and then developing into a form of North American Cattle is pretty obvious . This won't be easy - even in OTL most domesticated bison on farms you fond sre actually beefalo (I.e. crossbread Bison and cattle. Pure bison are a bit ... more rebellious.), bit given a times pan of thousands of years I think you'd see it proceed.

I wonder if you could end up with domesticated white tail deer as well - though deer farming even in OTL is difficult, bit not impossible.

Chapter 3: Beast Master
Chapter 3: Beast Master

Replenish the earth and subdue it; and have dominion over the fish of the sea, fowl of the air, and over every living thing upon the earth”- Genesis 1:28, King Charles English Vernacular Holy Bible

Kanata Geese [Canada Geese] are one of the earliest domesticated animals from the Mishigami. Its name in Anishinaabe is kanatanika[1] or “Village Goose” to denote that it lives in the village rather than in the wild.

By their nature, geese are attracted to human settlements in order to feed on food scraps (especially manoomin, which they greatly enjoy). They are not afraid of humans and may aggressively defend themselves. However, if fed by humans they can become more accommodating and even affectionate. They also offer an enticing reward for those who tame them: a steady supply of tasty goose eggs.

The domestication process likely began when a goose broke its wing near a human settlement. Unable to fly away, the goose spent the winter in the village. During the winter, it was fed manoomin by a sympathetic farmer. Over time, it grew accustomed to the presence of the farmer and being fed. In the spring, it continued to stay. The farmer collected some of its eggs.

Migration in geese is learned behavior. The crippled goose could not teach its hatchlings to migrate. They would also stay nearby during winter and have their eggs collected in spring. A clever farmer would realize what was happening and scheme to make sure it continued.

In the summer, geese molt their feathers and become unable to fly for a period of several weeks. While they are vulnerable, clever farmers would strike. They would capture the geese and deliberately breaking their wings. This ensured they would not migrate.

Over time, generations of geese would be raised around the farm. Any geese with undesirable traits would be culled for their meat and feathers. Eventually, the geese would become flightless, fat, and friendly.

Mallard Ducks were also domesticated using a similar process. Unlike geese, ducks do not lose the ability to fly while molting so catching them and breaking their wings is significantly harder. Even so, the same process produced flightless, fat, and friendly birds used for their meat, feathers, and eggs. Mallard ducks were independently domesticated in the old world and the new world.

Eastern Wild Turkeys were domesticated. Chicks, when taken shortly after hatching, quickly become accustomed to the presence of humans. They were more likely to be used as meat birds rather than for their eggs. Flightless, fat, and friendly turkeys were quickly found throughout the Mishigami. Turkeys were independently domesticated in Meso-Minisia [Mesoamerica] and the Mishigami.

Eastern Cottontail Rabbits were routinely hunted by the Menominee. They were used for their meat and fur. Rabbit pelts are warm, soft, and light but also thin and easily torn. Rabbit meat was prized. The exact process of rabbit domestication is not known.

Rabbits are natural diggers and cannot easily be placed in a cage with a dirt floor. They also cannot abide the mud of the wetlands created by rice bogs. To solve this problem, the Menominee created artificial warrens to house the rabbits.

Dry soil was piled into an oblong mound and surrounded by a ditch filled with water. Inside the mounds were chambers, dug by the rabbits or by people, where the rabbits mated, gave birth and raised their families. Similar structures, called pillow mounds, were used in medieval Europe.

1679921056305.png

A Pillow Mound[2]

Humans would guard the mounds from predators and poachers. When the time came, nets and dogs were used to catch the rabbits. Special breeds of small dogs were used to dig through the tunnels of the warren and capture the rabbits inside.

Rabbits were also used as pets for children but this was fairly rare.

Dogs crossed the Permian-Athabaskan Land Bridge [Bering Land Bridge] into Minisia [North America] with the first humans, already domesticated. They were mainly used as guard dogs, hunting companions and small beasts of burden.

There are two notable dog breeds unique to the Mishigami:

The first is the Andawaa breed, a verminator used to keep settlements clear of rats and mice. It was also used to clear rabbit warrens, as explained above. They are similar to rat terriers, although smaller.

The second is the Waabishki breed. These were dogs bred for their long, white hair. They were kept separate from other dogs, on islands in river and lakes. They were fed a diet of fish to enrich the quality of the coats. In spring, they were sheared like sheep. [3]

Dog meat was cooked far more commonly than in Eurasia. However, the stereotype of all Minisians eating dog is false. Other types of meat were more common and several Minisian religions restrict their members from eating dog.

Many types of fish and crayfish live in rice bogs but are not truly domesticated. During the growing season, fish and crayfish were caught and eaten by the Menominee. When the rice bogs were drained for the harvest, fish would be gathered from the field before scavengers could get them. Then they would be dried, smoked, and salted for storage. The crayfish would hide in the mud, waiting for the spring when the fields would flood again.

Wapiti Elk were the last and mostly slowly domesticated animal of the Mishigami. As the human population rose, herds of wapiti were depleted. Hunters began selectively culling the remainder for desirable traits. Slowly, the wapiti became friendlier to humans.

Over time, humans began feeding the elk, especially during the winter when food became scarce. They would also restrict the range of a herd by building obstacles.

At first elk were primarily used for their meat, hide, velvet and antlers. The antlers were consumed as medicine, made into tools, and even used as chew toys for dogs. Velvet was a highly sought after fabric for its softness. Elk leather was used for clothing. In many ways it is superior to cowhide.

Elk were rarely milked. Culturally, this was seen as stealing from the calves. More importantly, milk sickness made the Menominee weary of milk. Milk sickness is caused by the death milk plant [white snakeweed], which is not toxic to elk when eaten directly but poisons their milk for humans and calves alike.[4] Although the Menominee quickly recognized the source of the sickness and would remove the death milk plant from pastures when possible, they remained wary of any untested milk.

Even so, wapiti milk was sometimes used by the Menominee. If a child was born and the mother died or did not produce milk and no wet nurse could be found then wapiti milk would be used. Better to take the chance of poisoning than the certainty of starvation. This reduced infant mortality.

Eventually, wapiti would be used as beasts of burden. Wapiti elk pulling travois became a common site in the Mishigami. They were not commonly ridden due to their antlers and weak backs.

1679921083531.png

Before the horse came over from Europe, the elk was used[5]

Next time, we will take a look at a single Menominee longhouse.

[1] Why use Kanata, an Iroquois word, for village? Well, the agricultural Menominee will live in larger settlements than their hunter-gatherer Iroquois neighbors. Therefore, the Iroquois word for settlement, Kanata, will be used to denote smaller settlements while the Ojibwe word for settlement, Oodena, will be used for cities. It also makes for a nice pun with Canada goose.
[2] Taken from: https://norfolktalesmyths.com/tag/pillow-mounds/ One of the stranger things I have come across while researching.
[3] Similar to Salish wool dogs.
[4] This is true for cattle and cow’s milk. I haven’t been able to find out if it is true for elk but I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t be true.
[5] Modified from: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c3/cd/18/c3cd1868a926df77540cceccc88133db.jpg

What do you guys think?
Sorry, no bison or pronghorn domestication.

Last edited:
Hah!!
I wondered why the Iroquoian name!
Thanks for explaining it.

PS it's fun when someone takes an algonkian language and runs with it. Those languages are so conservative that a knowledge of any makes most of the others reachable. Not that my Cree consists of more than a handful of words....

Hah!!
I wondered why the Iroquoian name!
Thanks for explaining it.

PS it's fun when someone takes an algonkian language and runs with it. Those languages are so conservative that a knowledge of any makes most of the others reachable. Not that my Cree consists of more than a handful of words....

I do not speak an native american language myself. I use the Ojibwe People's Dictionary for most of the *Menominee words. Its quick, easy to use, and free. For example, Waabishki , the name I used for the wool dogs just means "white" because they have long, white hair. Andawaa , the breed of verminator dogs, means something like "biter". etc.

When I can't find a good word, I'll try to find a word in other, nearby languages like Iroquois or Sioux. I haven't been able to find as good of a dictionary for either of those language families. To be fair, I haven't looked as hard because I haven't needed it as much.

If I'm creating a new word I use the Proto Algonquian Online Dictionary to get a couple of ideas and then make some stuff up.

I've also adapted foreign words for use here. For example, the *Menominee word for Chenopodium/pitted goosefoot is Kiinwaa which is the word "quinoa" rendered phonetically using French orthography for algonkian languages.

Chapter 4: Longhouse on the Prairie
Chapter 4: Longhouse on the Prairie

Most of the oldest structures in the Mishigami were pit houses, built partly in the earth so as to modulate temperature variations. As agriculture spread, longhouses became more common. They were easier to build and could house more people.

Each longhouse was home to a separate doodem, or clan, usually represented by an animal (real or mythical). When a doodem grew too numerous a new longhouse would be built. Those who moved to the new house would form a new endaad, or sub-clan, by adding a feature to their doodem name. For example, members of makwa doodem (“Bear Clan”) might form the makoganzh endaad (“Bear Claw sub-clan”) in the new longhouse. We will discuss the clan system of the Mishigami in more detail later.

A new longhouse could be built beside existing farmland or be part of an entirely new farm. When starting a new farm, the irrigation canals were always built first.

Irrigation canals were necessary for manoomin to be grown and took an enormous effort to plan, dig, and flood. They also carried sediment into the fields, fertilizing the ground and allowing for repeated yearly planting without exhausting the soil. This meant that, once built, people could to stay in the same place for a long time.

Due to the sheer amount of work necessary to build the canals, the entire village, both men and women, would contribute weeks of their time and energy. The men would go in first. They would slash and burn the brush and trees. The ash would be used as fertilizer.

Once the land was clear, the men would use dig sticks to pile the earth into baskets. Women would then carry the baskets either to create an earthen mound or simply to dump the soil elsewhere. Good quality clay was retained to make ceramics.

1680525985551.png

A dig stick[1]

Once the canal was dug and filled with water, work on the longhouse itself would begin. The men would dig holes and place fire-hardened structural poles into the ground. The roof was made by bending a series of poles to make an arch-shaped roof. Other houses were made with gable (or triangular) roofs. Without metal nails, rope was used to tie the joints together. Once the frame was made, the men were finished.

Women would do the rest, making the walls by weaving thin sticks between the poles and then covering the lattice work with a mixture of clay, straw, and water. This method is called wattle and daub.

The front of the house most often faced east, in order to increase the amount of sunlight the building received. At each end of the longhouse an alcove was built at an angle ninety degrees from the rest of the longhouse. This was done to keep in warmth during the long winters. The room was often painted or carved with a mural depicting the symbol of the doodem.

1680526069668.png

A cut-away of a longhouse[2]

The interior of the longhouse was a single long corridor, split into rooms. Each room was an apartment, sleeping quarters for a family. They were separated by mats or doors made from wood bark.

Benches lined the walls. The bottom bench was a bed, usually one bed for the entire family. The top bench was for storage. Smoked meat, strings of tubers, and leather hides would hang from the ceiling, slowly being smoked by the fire below. Small storage pits were placed beneath the benches for cold storage.

Each section of the longhouse was individually decorated. Paintings and drawings of family history and myths were common but more abstract shapes pop up occasionally. Asabikeshiinh, more commonly known as dreamcatchers, were hung to ward off evil spirits.

Each section had its own separate fire, maintained by its matriarch. Holes were made to let out the smoke but were small to keep out the rain and snow. The fire was constantly burning, always cooking soup and warming the home.

Soups and stews were the most common meals for the Menominee. The main ingredient was manoomin, the food without which there was no meal. Manoomin was so ubiquitous that soup was generally only named for what other ingredients were put in it. So, for example, okosimaan naboob (“squash soup”) would be expected to contain both squash and manoomin.

Soups were always kept simmering, ready to be eaten. They were rarely finished. Instead more manoomin and ingredients were added each day. The fire and cooking pot were symbols of the traditional role of a wife and mother.

At the end of the longhouse, there was a communal work space. It was here that specialized tasks, such as weaving or metal working, were done. In the pre-classical period, every doodem was expected to do every task necessary for their survival. Over time, certain doodem were better at certain tasks than others and began specializing in that task. By the beginning of the classical period, each doodem in a village might only do a few specialized tasks. In this way social stratification began.

Longhouses varied considerably in size. The typical longhouse was about eighty feet long and housed about twenty people. As society grew more stratified, the longhouses of the rich grew longer and were placed on huge earthen mounds that overlooked the rest of the village. The longhouse of a chief could be on a mound 50 feet tall and 500 feet long and house over a hundred people.

Longhouses did not last forever. Wood rots. Even with stone foundations and continual maintenance, longhouses would only last a few decades at most. Old and decrepit longhouses were ritually burned and a new longhouse built on the same site.

Next we will look at the rhythms of a year for a Menominee farm.

[1] Taken from: https://www.nps.gov/articles/000/tú-kes-digging-sticks-of-the-nez-perce.htm
[2] Taken from: http://iroquoistribe.weebly.com/shelter.html

Last edited:
Each longhouse was home to a separate doodem, or clan, usually represented by an animal (real or mythical). When a doodem grew too numerous a new longhouse would be built. Those who moved to the new house would add a feature to their doodem name. For example, members of makwa doodem (“Bear Clan”) might form the makoganzh doodem (“Bear Claw Clan”) in the new longhouse. We will discuss the clan system of the Mishigami in more detail later.
???
As I understand it, what are normally called 'clans' in Engish are society wide constructs, not purely local things. So if you're a Bear Clan member, and you travel, the local Bear Clan would host you, etc.
Now maybe I'm conflating different cultures, or maybe your 'doodem' is a different concept.

My thought would be to introduce a new level, maybe 'septs' subdivisions of a Clan, so you could have multiple longhouse of the same Clan in one village?