The Goals of the Spanish Armada?

Just a quick question, really. What were the actual goals of the Armada? (You should know which one I'm talking about, the one that wanted to invade England). Aside from forcing Catholicism back onto the English, did the Spanish plan on annexing England? Putting a new monarch on the throne?

Just a quick question, really. What were the actual goals of the Armada? (You should know which one I'm talking about, the one that wanted to invade England). Aside from forcing Catholicism back onto the English, did the Spanish plan on annexing England? Putting a new monarch on the throne?
Which Spanish amarda? The 1588 one? The 1596 one? Or the 1597 one?

libbrit

Banned
It was to depose Elizabeth, preferably placing a catholic with some claim to Elizabeths throne on the throne, if not one of Philips own family.

It wouldnt have likely involved direct annexation, but effective vassalisation to the Spanish empire was a no-brainer. So too would have been the arrival of the Inquisition in England. It would have been utterly, inexpressibly grim.

Faeelin

Banned
It wouldnt have likely involved direct annexation, but effective vassalisation to the Spanish empire was a non brainer. So too would have been the arrival of the Inquisition in England. It would have been utterly, inexpressibly grim.

Shakespeare's got your back, in Turtledove's (IMO) best work: "No epilogue here, lest you make it. If you want your freedom, go and take it."

They wanted to knock Britain down a notch, end British interference in the Low Countries, place an English Catholic on the throne who preferably could get married to Philip's dayghter

I believe that Philip actually did claim the English throne, on the basis of his descent from John of Gaunt. My understanding is that he was planning to give England to his daughter Isabella, the one whom he later promoted as a potential Queen of France and who later became co-ruler of the Spanish Netherlands with her husband.

They wanted to knock Britain down a notch, end British interference in the Low Countries, place an English Catholic on the throne who preferably could get married to Philip's dayghter

I had thought he basically just wanted Isabella on the throne as queen in her own right. Were there any plausible English Catholic candidates? The most plausible candidate appears to be Lord Strange (Ferdinando Stanley, later 5th Earl of Derby), who was descended from Henry VIII's sister Mary's younger daughter, Eleanor Brandon, and who apparently kept his religion ambiguous in order to attract possible support from all quarters. Unfortunately, he's already married. Other Tudor-descended candidates - James VI of Scotland and Lord Beauchamp - and the Yorkist possibility - the Earl of Huntingdon - were all Protestants. Arabella Stuart obviously could not marry Philip's daughter. There's also Lord Stafford, who descended from the Beauforts, but he seems pretty obscure. I'm not sure any of these people would make much sense, which is why Philip was claiming the throne for himself.

Last edited:
I believe that Philip actually did claim the English throne, on the basis of his descent from John of Gaunt. My understanding is that he was planning to give England to his daughter Isabella, the one whom he later promoted as a potential Queen of France and who later became co-ruler of the Spanish Netherlands with her husband.

I had thought he basically just wanted Isabella on the throne as queen in her own right. Were there any plausible English Catholic candidates? The most plausible candidate appears to be Lord Strange (Ferdinando Stanley, later 5th Earl of Derby), who was descended from Henry VIII's sister Mary's younger daughter, Eleanor Brandon, and who apparently kept his religion ambiguous in order to attract possible support from all quarters. Unfortunately, he's already married. Other Tudor-descended candidates - James VI of Scotland and Lord Beauchamp - and the Yorkist possibility - the Earl of Huntingdon - were all Protestants. Arabella Stuart obviously could not marry Philip's daughter. There's also Lord Stafford, who descended from the Beauforts, but he seems pretty obscure. I'm not sure any of these people would make much sense, which is why Philip was claiming the throne for himself.

There are always the Dukes of Norfolk?

The Senior English Peerage, Catholic, the family was not very Pro-Elizabeth ... being involved with the Ridolfi Plot (The Dukedom was only restored in 1660), distantly related to the Crown.
Possibly a marriage between a Howard and Isabella?