The Gentlemen of Virginia - TL w/ comments

August 22, 1863 - Mid-Morning
Chattanooga, Tennessee

"Gentlemen, I find our present dispositions quite distressing. The enemy has deceived us. Buckner and his army may be assailed in a matter of days, and we have half our force spread for scores of miles to the southwest."

Yes, though Polk to himself, and guess which one of us was the one who advocated against holing ourselves up in Chattanooga for a month.

General Braxton Bragg had returned from a recuperative leave late last night (recuperative, HA!, thought Polk) at the news of Federal troops directly across the river. Brigade strength at least, surely Divisional level, pessimistic thinking had it that Rosecrans had moved his entire army over there. Anyone with an ounce of sense (which rules out Bragg right there) capped it at Corps level - certainly there was no more than a battery of artillery. From a mile away over the Tennessee River, cannon fire sounded much worse than it really was.

But the strength of the Yankees was a non-issue here - there presence was.

"Sir," said General Hill, Bragg's other wing commander, "if the damnyankees are really across the river with as much force as you say, I must agree that our position is a point of concern. But how possibly can Rosecrans have moved such a force into position in such a short amount of time without our notice? This cannot be a large move, the terrain cannot support a huge army, there is no sustenance. Every mile is rocky, hilly, with few good roads..."

"Which is exactly why Rosecrans will try it. It's the last direction any attack may come from, therefore it's the first. It's just another flanking move, God knows the Yankees have done that often enough recently. Plus, the yankees have always been proficient in transportation. I just can't see them starving any time soon." Bragg even gave a small, grim smile at his last statement.

"But, sir, to what purpose? If he wants to surprise us, try to storm the town, or even land a mile or two to the side, it just failed. We know there are enemy troops there. We can see every possible landing site. It's suicidal. Rosecrans has his faults, sir, but he's not stupid. He's not Burnside."

Polk could see it coming. The more anyone tried to argue with Braxton Bragg, the more tenaciously he held to his position.

"Did you not hear what I just said?" Bragg thundered. "Rosecrans is not aiming to attack us. He wants to by-pass us, reach Buckner in the east, and crush him between his army and Burnside's. For certainly they are not the same person - they are on opposite sides of Buckner's corps. It's a dangerous position, it is."

"Why move there at all?" Hill had at least one more try left in him. "Burnside outnumbers Buckner all by himself. Rosecrans still has to cross the river in order to do anything. Why march hundreds of miles, wasting precious time, time in which Buckner may fall back, when their army can cross anywhere closer!"

"Such as? You did just, I believe, rule out the possibility of a direct assault against our army. Rosecrans is, as you said, not stupid."

The other problem with Bragg was that he actually had some brains. Not as much as me, surely, but still, enough. Enough to ruin this army. March off to Buckner indeed!

Hill's voice grew quieter, but still, colder. "I was referring to the reports of multiple enemy divisions marching towards the crossings opposite Shellmound and Bellefonte."

"There!?? 50 miles downriver!?? General Hill, trying to attack our defenses here at Chattanooga would indeed be quite mad, but, there? It’s suicidal! Forget what I just said about the yankee logistics, it is a march of all those 50 miles over 4 mountains, with no water, almost in a drought, and with our cavalry giving us weeks of notice!”

It is a puzzler, thought Polk. Rosecrans doesn’t really have anywhere good to cross, so we must consider everything. But still, Buckner? No. That’s the one sure thing.

“Buckner is Rosecrans’ target, and so Buckner is the person I need to help” Bragg went on. “We have Cleburne’s division already guarding the fords upriver, he can be sent quickly at need. And I’m recalling all but one brigade of cavalry from screening the Sand Mountain line.” Hill grimaced. Bragg apparently did not notice.

“If we move quickly, we could have easily six, seven thousand troopers to Buckner in just a few days, with 2 divisions within the week.” Bragg stopped, and began to look thoughtful. “But I wonder if we do not have an opportunity to catch Rosecrans on the move. God knows we’ve gone a precious while without a big attack.”

Polk perked up instantly. Anything that could prevent this madness….

“Sir, if I may be so bold. I think that an offensive strategy would be wonderful for this army’s morale, and may succeed in taking out a few of Rosecrans’ divisions. If we can strike him while on the march, cutting through the screening force he has here by the river, we can even the odds considerably. But first, in that case….”

“In that case, we would need to determine exactly what we have in front of us.” Hill picked up Polk’s cue instantly. It was odd. Polk did not generally agree with Hill any more than Bragg, but when they did agree, it was commonly on more important issues. “The enemy seems to have most of their troops within a mile or two of our position, just separated by the river. Our troops are encamped within the town itself. We could prepare an attack on them without giving them any advance warning. All we need is scouting of the enemy’s positions.”

Bragg pondered even more. The simple fact that he did not immediately start screaming in both of their faces was extremely promising.

“Let us ride down to the river, Generals, and see what can be seen of Rosecrans’ advance force.”

Stringer’s Ridge – just across the river

“Yeah, that’s showin’ ‘em. Give those traitor bastards a good hit in the….”

“Back to your post, Private.” Sergeant Harrison King was in a foul mood, having not slept for at least two days, and now this sudden lack of discipline amongst the rank and file.

To be expected, perhaps, he thought. The men of John Wilder’s brigade had reason to be proud, perhaps even haughty. An infantry brigade mounted on horses and given repeating rifles, they were the core of Crittenden’s diversion across from Chattanooga. And, they specifically were the closest Union troops to the town.

At the moment, the few men of the 123rd Illinois who were awake were bantering good-naturedly with some artillerymen on the ridge above them. Wilder’s brigade had been busy the last two days: overrunning pickets, capturing wagon trains, and constructing basic fieldworks. However, once no more enemy troops were north of the river in their area, the brigade got a bit of a breather.

The half a battery with the diversionary force was having a field day. Aimed shots were few and far between, with the range to the town of over a mile. Which did not mean that the battery didn’t try. Lilly’s gunners had already started several fires in the town, and rudely awakened several thousand Confederate troops, who were powerless to respond. Confederate artillery, strangely enough, had remained quiet.

“Up, men!” Everyone knew that voice, and most people actually did get up. Colonel Wilder himself had arrived, which surely meant something important was happening.

Important proved to be a relative term. “I want a company from each regiment to form a special detail. We’re going to be cutting boards, making it look to the damned traitors over there like we’re building rafts. You, first Sergeant! Where’s your company commander?”

“Sir, you’re looking at him. Captain Jones and Lieutenant Rowley are both on sick leave.” Not that King minded the authority in itself, but still, a bad time to push it on my shoulders, when we’re out here, practically an independent command.

“Alright, Sergeant. I can read the tone of your voice there. It’s fine. I’ll just use F Company. They surely need the work, the laggards. Anyway….see if you can’t dig a stronger earthwork for the big guns. Otherwise, let your men rest until nightfall.”

“Yes sir. Thank you sir.”

Wilder rode on. Nice idea. As long as we’re here, any deception at all will help. Nice to be reminded every now and again that we do have good people amongst the officer staff.

King formed up H company, with much muttering and complaining. Standard stuff – to complain is to be a soldier. This was quite an easy task. And half his men were already right by the cannons.

In five minutes, the thirty-four men of the company had reached the top of the ridge, to find artillerymen happy for any assistance good hard earth could give.

“The Confederates have finally gotten their act together, and have a few guns actually firing back at us. Hard to find the range, and half their shells don’t go off besides, but still. The third gun already has two men wounded, and I don’t want good old number one to go the same way. You just keep digging, Sergeant.”

“Yes sir, Lieutenant Wagner. We’ll dig until your gun is buried in earth save the barrel, and it recoils further into the ground. You can walk on top of her, sir, and the Confederates will never hit her.”

The two noncoms jibed each other a bit more, then the infantry commenced digging. Wagner commanded the first gun in Lilly’s battery. After a bit of a nasty spot at Stone’s River earlier that year, which King’s regiment had helped him out of, the battery and the regiment had an interesting relationship going.

Half an hour passed. King stopped to wipe his brow, then glanced over to see Wagner sighting the gun. He looked towards Chattanooga. The smoke from the last round had cleared, and the town was quite a sight. Parts still gleamed, whitewashed buildings, soldier’s barracks, light industry, some rail lines, a big park green. Other buildings had gone up in smoke, or were burning now, fires raging uncontrolled. Luckily, no wind fanned the flames.

Behind the town rose mountains of such majesty that King had to stop. There was Lookout Mountain, thousands of feet high, dominating everything. Green trees even at the top were blurred by fog, even with the bright sun shining. In a week or two, if everything went according to plan, the Army of the Cumberland should have a whole corps moving up to that mountain from the west, essentially behind the town. Further back, and to the left, longer ridges reached far back down into Georgia. Bragg’s escape route. Dark forests were broken by occasional farms. Even from this distance, they did not look well-tended, and certainly not on flat ground. He looked back down towards the river. Fast-running, deep enough though not a pinch on what the Tennessee looked like farther downriver. Rocky. Everything rocky. Rocks lined the shore, seemingly everywhere save right at the town proper. There King could see charred wood, the remains of the port that had been the first target of Wagner’s gun.

And just beyond that, on the first street near the river, a flag moved. Or rather, several flags moved. King squinted, trying to see. There was red, white, and blue on one of the flags, and good as Rosecrans may be, he hadn’t taken the city yet. That had to be a Confederate entourage. A big one, seeing the size of the blur.

“Hey, Wagner! You have a damn-sight better sight than I do. What do you make of that huge bunch of rebels riding around right by the river? You know, just three buildings to the right of that charred warehouse.”

Wagner got out his telescope and took a look. He started jumping around wildly. “That looks like at least a corps flag, maybe even full army. That’s gotta be some big-wig General riding around, Polk, maybe even old Bragg himself.” He looked again. “Sweet Jesus! Maybe even both of them. That’s a lot of aides for just one General!”

“Do you think you have any chance of hitting ‘em?” Half the men in both his company and the battery had stopped to listen.

“Range…maybe a mile. They really are right next to the river! With height….light wind….some luck. We’ve got a shot at it. Whaddaya think, boys?” he asked, turning to the artillerymen. They cheered.

“Alright then! Solid shot, quick as you can! Let’s sight this gun!” Wagner labored a long time over it, stopped a moment, then looked again. “It’s got a chance. That many men, it’s gotta hit something! Maybe I aimed it long, so if it misses it still hits another rebel building. Oh well. Clear!” A pregnant pause. “FIRE!”

The gun boomed. The recoil took it back only a foot – the bracing worked, at least. King tried to follow the path of the metal ball, but the distance was too great and the shell, great as it was, was too small. Wagner got out his spyglass again, turned it towards the town.

“Damn! Too short. Not by much, either. Sprayed a huge bunch of dirt into the air. But no blood. Scared ‘em though. That’ll teach those rebs to ride through our sights!” The men cheered, but King’s was perfunctory. Wagner didn’t look too happy either.

Polk had caught the cannon flash from across the river, estimated the trajectory, and came so close to swearing that it was actually quite impressive. Life in the clergy did something, after all.

The shot was short. Dirt splayed everywhere. Horses reared. Several aides were knocked off their mounts, and everyone left upright was quite dazed. Until someone saw Bragg.

He had been in the front of the group, and as his horse bucked him he tried to steady the reins. He slipped, and his hand got caught in the reins. The horse lost control, and fell over, crushing its rider beneath it.

“General Bragg!” “Get a medic, someone!” “The General’s down!” Cries came fast and furious.

Polk caught his breath, looked, then immediately relaxed. Yes, that was an injury, but no one got killed crushed beneath a horse. But Bragg did not get up. A litter arrived and Bragg was still out cold. Polk worried again. Virtually no one got killed by being crushed beneath a horse. But Bragg was always sick with something or another. Weak. If it could happen to anyone……it would happen to Bragg. Of course.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I welcome any and all comments, stylistic or content-based.

I do beg you to look at the title of this TL, and then pause to consider the answer to your question.

I will spell the answer out in the posting after this one, because I have a disgustingly optimistic plan to add something to this TL every day. Perhaps you can guess anyway……

-------------------------------------------------

September 2nd, 1863 – Evening
Chattanooga, Tennessee

…situation in this department becomes ever-more troubling. The honourable General Braxton Bragg has become a very curious medical case, and we all pray that he enjoys a speedy recovery and return to duty. As it is, however, he has declared himself “fit for duty” and then collapsed upon the field three times since the horrible events of the 22nd.

And at least 2 other times that will never be confirmed, Hill thought.

Bragg had escaped death after being pulled out from under his horse, but the fact that he had come so close was a harbinger of what was to come. Constantly in and out of several hospitals and hot springs all throughout the region, Bragg seemed incapable of recovering fully. Yet if Bragg possessed one good quality, it was commitment to duty. If he was conscious, he would lead the army. Not being conscious for more than 3 days at a stretch turned this into a horrible quality.

Daniel Hill stopped and pondered for a moment. Bragg had also never been unconscious for more than three days in a row. Apparently, such partial incapacitation was not enough to warrant bringing in or appointing a new commander for the Army of the Tennessee. Whenever Bragg was on sick leave, Polk, as ranking Lieutenant General in the army, commanded the ever-growing army in his absence. I don’t even know which one is worse, Hill thought scathingly. He turned back to his half-finished letter.

With Generals Bragg and Polk constantly alternating in command, combined with the general lack of good scouting, this army has been held in place doing essentially nothing for the past week and a half. Without a long-term commander, we have no opportunity of planning offensive movements. Our situation with regards to rations becomes increasingly critical – without a constant head commander, logistics in general have suffered. Furthermore, we are having a difficult time of incorporating General Buckner’s Army into our own, and the situation should only deteriorate further upon the promised arrival of troops from General Johnston’s Army.

Under other circumstances, that would be a piece of good news. Buckner had abandoned eastern Tennessee in order to affect a junction between the Confederate forces in the theatre. Johnston had also promised to send two divisions from Mississippi. Those would almost double the size of the Army of the Tennessee. With a competent commander, or any commander at all for that matter, the Army could in fact assume offensive operations.

Well, no. We couldn’t do that anyway. I know that Rosecrans crossed downriver of us and will strike from the west. Why can’t anyone else in this army see it? We’ll have to retreat, if anyone can co-ordinate it properly, and so lose the town, and our fortunes continue to decline everywhere.

Hill pondered how much to press his luck with the letter. No. Not that much. President Davis doesn’t hold me in high enough esteem, and besides, Polk outranks me. So does just about every other Lieutenant General in this service.

Well, Polk hates Bragg as much as I hate the both of them, and having 1 commander is preferable to having 2. It can’t hurt.

What this army needs is a supreme commander. Someone backed by your authority, definitively in their post, and prepared for their duty. Within this army General Polk is in position, ready to assume command if you declare Bragg more certainly “unfit for duty”. Alternatively, you could recall General Johnston from Mississippi to take personal command here, leaving that army to its own devices until our crisis has passed. Or there may be any one of several other outside Generals, perhaps from an eastern theatre, who could be sent. The important point is to send somebody, and as quickly as you can. The fate of this theatre may rest with your speedy actions.

I am ever your obedient servant, General Daniel Harvey Hill, etc. etc. etc.

It seemed impossible for this letter to do any harm. Which is to say, any situation besides dual command would be preferable. Especially dual command between Polk and Bragg. I need this nightmare to end, Hill thought.

---------------------------------

An hour later, General Hill was showing his letter to General Polk at his headquarters. Hill needed to assuage his conscience, assure himself that he had no eye on the spot of command. That meant that the two highest commanders left in the army acted in concert. To get anything done by President Davis, they had to.

Polk read down the page, his expression unfathomable. “You are prepared to stand by all of this? You mean everything in here?”

“Yes, sir. That I do. We cannot have yourself and General Bragg in constant alternation. Anything is preferable. And we must get this army moving again, as quickly as possible, sir.”

“Yes.” Polk sat there, staring at nothing, for some time. Then he got out a pen and some paper, and began to write. Hill stood there, watching, his mind in a turmoil. Polk did not take long.

“Please send your letter along the wires as quickly as possible to Richmond. You are correct, the President must know of our situation. And please forward this as well.”

Polk handed him what he had just written. Hill, with quite some curiosity, began to read.

I, Lieutenant General Leonidas Polk, do hereby fully endorse every point in the accompanying letter of General Daniel Hill, especially the exhortations of the Honorable President to act with alacrity. I also would like to add General Hill’s name to his list of possible new commanders for this army, he also being in position and quite capable, and it being inappropriate for him to endorse himself. I am ever your obedient servant, General Leonidas Polk, etc. etc. etc.

Hill looked up, stunned. “The President would never appoint me commander! You outrank me, sir, and I have only held this position for two months!”

“Perhaps so. But it is crucially important that the President see we are in concert here. Now please, send that down the telegraph lines, tonight.”

“Yes, sir.”

Hill walked away, happy yet puzzled. Not that General Polk isn’t entirely correct, and that’s quite enough in and of itself. But a blanket endorsement?......

…Of course! He thinks I have no chance of being appointed here, so it is no risk. Well, I agree with him, quite frankly. Now let’s see what the President has to say. I would even prefer Polk alone to Polk and Bragg in partial. And the two of them are old friends too. Definitely the President will choose Polk.

Maybe I don’t prefer it by all that much, come to think of it……

September 5th, 1863 - Late Afternoon
Richmond, Virginia
The White House

"No. I'm sorry, I know that he's a fine infantry commander. But he's only received his promotion to Lieutenant General two months ago, he's not prepared enough. Besides, General Polk outranks him."

“I know that, Mr. President, but put quite simply, he’s a better General than Polk, fine as Polk is. I would trust him in command of any department.”

“And yet you endorsed my transferring him from your army to North Carolina, not even a year ago.”

Lee did not answer. It was entirely a true statement, not that it had any direct bearing on the matter at hand. Someone had to command the Army of Tennessee, and President Davis had seen that immediately. He had summoned Lee for a private meeting, and Lee was still not sure what the purpose was, besides consultation

It might have been simply yet another one of their running discussions on whether or not to send a part of the Army of Northern Virginia westward. They had talked ever-more frequently about it in the past few weeks, and especially now that Buckner and Johnston had sent support as well. But President Davis had proceeded to ask General Lee’s opinion of several generals.

A vetting process, perhaps, Lee thought. He hasn’t made up in his own mind who to appoint. I thought for sure he would go with Polk, them being old friends. Thank you, Lord, that he hasn’t. So far, at least.

The President was speaking again. Lee wrenched his thoughts away from speculation and prayer back to The President’s words.

“…can’t really be anyone from within the army, now can it? Issues of rank prevent it from falling to anyone save General Polk, and General Polk……is needed in his current position.”

Yes. Old friends. Lee grimly smiled.

“Quite right, Mr. President. Well, if it cannot be anyone currently serving within the Army of Tennessee, can we at least keep it within the Western theatre? General Johnston is in Mississippi, acceptably close, and in overall command there.”

“No. General Johnston is needed in Mississippi.”

“But, Mr. President, it appears that the northerners under General Grant are conducting no more than raids, which Johnston’s Army should be able to contain, with or without his presence. And he is certainly capable enough, and has no issues of rank.”

“Again, no. I have been persuaded over the years that he is a superior General when fighting defensively, and the fact is that Grant’s Army outnumbers his by some margin. Let Johnston stay where he will do the most good. I need someone with the killer instinct in Tennessee, and I will no more find him in Johnston than I will in Polk or Hill. Do not mention the man again during this discussion”

Of course, I forgot that he doesn’t like Johnston. Why can he not see Johnston’s value. He is certainly the best General in that theatre for fighting any Northerner there. But that still leaves unanswered, who? The President likes both Bragg and Polk, but they cannot command. He hates Johnston, so he cannot command, and about Hill he holds little opinion, so creates an excuse for him not to command.

“Alright, Mr. President, if that is your will. In that case, we still face the dilemma of who to appoint to the Army command.”

“I know, and I have been thinking about this for some time.” The President frowned. “I have always felt uneasy, doing things such as this. You do remember that I was in the army, back in Mexico. If it was not inappropriate, I would take personal command here.”

“The country cannot afford to lose you, Mr. President.”

“I know. It is just a poor man’s longing. The situation here is one of increasing peril. I credit the latest reports, that Rosecrans is crossing Lookout Mountain, impossible as it seems, and Chattanooga will be assailed from the west. I fear that, no matter who I appoint, it will be to an army having just retreated from the town.”

He paused, and looked even more grim than before. “General Lee, would I be correct in asserting that General Longstreet remains your best commander?”

Lee felt ice flooding him. He’s going to do it. After so much deliberating, and over my protest, he’s going to do it. He’s going to take my old warhorse away from me.

You deserve it, General Longstreet, a chance to grow into your own. But I fear that you will not come back, and I need you here. With Jackson gone……Gettysburg was enough. I need you here.

“Yes, Mr. President. I have always relied upon General Longstreet. He would be a reasonable choice, though I believe General Polk outranks him as well.”

“No, General Lee, you misunderstand me.” Jefferson Davis paused again, now looking downright apprehensive.

“About one thing I have made up my mind. We are going to strike a blow against Rosecrans. I fear we may have waited too long already, but now we must strike hard. We have reinforcements flooding on the Army of Tennessee from all directions, all except here in Virginia. I am now going to rectify that.”

He stopped yet again, as if willing himself to continue.

“General Lee, you will select one of your Corps, the choice of which one I leave to your discretion, although I know Longstreet has been longing for this. You will entrain them for Chattanooga as quickly as possible, a few days at the most, along with sufficient accompanying artillery. I will ensure that they have all the transportation they need.”

“Mr. President, I feared that you would say this. I have made my objections of my army’s importance to defending Virginia, and so to the service of this Country. If your mind is made up, I will of course obey. Certainly Longstreet has pined for this, so much as I hate to miss him…”

“I’m still not finished, General.” Davis visibly gritted his teeth, but now he wore a more resigned, determined expression. He continued, his voice quieter but stronger.

“You will also have to select which General to appoint to command the two corps left behind. I am ordering you to Chattanooga, to assume command of the army there.”

Lee sat there in shock for a moment. Of all the things that President Davis could have done, this was the one he did not expect in the least.

“No. Mr. President, I am sorry. But I am needed here. My duty is to Virginia, and to this army, and to my men. We are holding the most important line on this continent, that shielding General Meade and his men from this city.”

“And what if Polk stays in command? General, he is my friend, but I do not elevate him to mythical status. The Army of Tennessee is outnumbered, in a tough position, soon to be forced to evacuate Chattanooga, and with that leaves open Atlanta. I certainly do value this city as the most important of our Country, but we cannot afford to lost Atlanta. It reminds me strongly of the position this army was in under Johnston on the Peninsula when McClellan was attacking last year. Tell me, General: who saved us then?”

“I know you are referring to me, but it was firstly the men under my command, and secondly the good position General Johnston gained by his attack, in which he was wounded. You continue to underestimate his ability, Mr. President.”

“Do you deny that you are a better General than Johnston, Mr. Lee?”

“Mr. President, I deny nothing. I merely point out that he is quite competent enough.”

“Well, General, then perhaps you underestimate the gravity of our situation in the west. Competent is not good enough, not now. I need a superb commander in Tennessee, it is the only way to not lose Atlanta, or perhaps even the army itself.”

“But General Johnston is already in position. Very few troops from that army hail from Virginia, I would be an outsider, and we already have elements from 3 armies assembling outside Chattanooga – 4 counting the corps I am to send. It is hard enough to meld that into a single army without throwing in an alien commander.”

“I do not believe that anybody would count you as an alien commander, General. If there is one man to inspire universal confidence among our troops, it is you, Mr. Lee – in Virginia or not. Now I ask you one more time: will you go to Chattanooga, or will I have to order you?”

“What will happen in Virginia if I am gone, Mr. President?”

“Well, the final choice is up to you, but I thought that General Longstreet would take temporary command of the Army of Northern Virginia in your stead. As you said, he too is competent enough, and excels at the defense. All reports say that Meade’s army is staying put. We don’t need another attack here, General. For a while, at least, holding the line in Virginia will suffice.”

He’s referring to Gettysburg, Lee thought. Then he saw in his mind’s eye the fatal charge on the third day. Thousands of men marching across open fields. Cannon fire thundering from all along that blasted ridge. Hancock, holding the line in the center, his boys the best the Union had to offer. Armistead, leading the Confederates in that glorious charge over the low stone wall………and none of them came back. All dead or captured. Pickett’s division shattered. The entire ground covered with bodies. Confederate bodies. Thousands dead. And how many more had lost an arm, or a leg, or two……

And I ordered the charge. It’s my fault. It’s all my fault.

What’s the saying? It takes a great man to admit that he may be wrong? Perhaps, against all reason, I am wrong here too.

“I do believe, Mr. President, that General Longstreet will fare well enough in command here. It still gives him an independent command, I am sure he will not refuse.”

“Well, I do mean for it to only be a temporary command.” Davis looked pleased that Lee had acquiesced, though surprised at the relative alacrity. “I want you to rescue our position in Tennessee…while we’re still in Tennessee…and then you will come back here to Virginia. The fate of the Nation may rest on your shoulders, but I know you will succeed. Let me know as soon as possible which corps you will take with you.”

“Yes, Mr. President.”

The meeting was over. Lee walked towards the station, to go back, for a day or two at least, to the Army of Northern Virginia, to wind up affairs.

It will probably be Ewell, he thought. Both he and A. P. Hill are new, but after Gettysburg, I think Ewell needs the tighter watch. Longstreet and Hill have their problems, but Hill will obey him. I am trusting everything in this theatre to Longstreet, my old warhorse. He may be slow, but he is solid. He will hold, for long enough. Now, let me turn my attention westward. What mess have Bragg and Polk, acting against each other, left this Nation in…

God’s Will. Thy will be done.

September 7th, 1863 - Evening
Chattanooga, Tennessee

“Do you think it’s for real this time, Captain?”

“I dunno. The, uh, high command has ordered and then counter-ordered the retreat at least twice so far. I dunno which one wants to retreat: Bragg or Polk.”

“Probably Bragg. He doesn’t exactly do much to inspire confidence. I mean, look at the last whole year. We were in Kentucky, and now, probably, in Georgia.”

“Please, do be careful Lieutenant. That kind of talk could be construed, by other ears, as defeatism, and I really don’t want to lose my best subordinate.”

“Yes sir, Captain Lewis.”

The men of the 45th Alabama, Wood’s Brigade, Cleburne’s Division, Army of the Tennessee, were not exactly in good spirits. The soldier’s grapevine was always better than commanders would credit, and so reports that Rosecrans had already turned the Army’s left flank were depressing every soldier.

Opinion was divided as to what to do. Many wanted to turn immediately and fight. The Tennessee troops went so far as to threaten mutiny if the Army retreated out of their home state. But enough Generals in the high command recognized the dangerous position the Army was in. With Crittenden’s corps advancing along the river, and Thomas’ and McCook’s some unknown distance to the south, it was entirely possible for Rosecrans to surround the Confederate army within Chattanooga. Clearly, at least one of Bragg and Polk had realized this, but somehow had still done nothing for the past two weeks.

Not that either one of them was known for their aggressiveness or their initiative, Lieutenant Randall Napier thought.

“But if we don’t retreat,” continued Captain John Lewis, “then we still need to do something to improve our position. That damned federal artillery on the north bank can hit just about any of our camps with impunity. But we haven’t been ordered to entrench.”

He tuned his voice down. “Personally, I agree with you, Randall. But I think it all comes down to not having a single voice at Headquarters. You have Polk, issuing orders, and then Bragg, whenever he’s conscious, countermanding them, so we do nothing. It can’t be good for the army.”

“I wonder, sir, if we would have done anything more with just Bragg in command. Or even just Polk.” The Lieutenant smiled.

“Well yes, there is that,” pondered Captain Lewis.

Just then, bugles blared out. There was a flurry of activity down the row of tents. Horsemen ran everywhere. Men started running. And one in particular came over to the Captain. It was the Colonel.

“Captain Lewis. Form the men, strike tents. Everyone’s getting four days of rations, and as much ammunition as they can carry. We’re moving out.”

“Yes, sir.” Lewis saluted; the Colonel returned it, then ran off again. Military protocol trumps everything. Then the Captain turned to Napier. “I guess we’re really doing it. I never thought……well, we’ll see. You’d better form the men, and quickly.”

“Yes, sir.”

--------------------------

“Sir, are you absolutely sure, sir? If we are retreating for no reason, then the loss of the town itself will seem small compared to the morale effect on our men.”

Bragg turned red, and seemed about to answer, loudly, but then groaned and collapsed back onto the bed. He took several slow, deep breaths, and began again, in a low, soft, but icy cold voice.

“Yes, I am sure, General Polk. I am finally getting good service from this Army’s Cavalry arm, plus a steady stream of civilian reports. There is no longer any doubting it – Rosecrans has picked the one route none of us could suspect, and is risking his entire army to starvation. But he is coming at us, on this side of the river, from the west. If we don’t retreat now, we could be cut off. And I don’t think we can successfully fight the yankees from inside this town if they surround us. To say nothing of them possibly by-passing the town and making straight for Atlanta.”

“Sir, I am not denying anything about the position of Rosecrans’ army. But if we stay in the town, or near it, we have the opportunity to strike at their army as they come up. We are outnumbered, true, but not three to one. With their corps separated, we can hit each one individually, and even the odds.”

“Right, but if we stay in or near the town, we are only assured of hitting their nearest corps, under Crittenden. I know the reports say that the damnyankees stretch many dozen miles to the southwest, but I don’t trust the details in civilian reports. That there are troops there, fine. That a simple farmer knows exactly how many and where, I don’t buy. If Rosecrans combines his corps before we strike, we risk annihilation.”

Polk was silent for a minute. He’s made up his mind, and nothing I say will change it. Oh, why, pray tell, God, can’t you have taken him now, and send him up to Heaven, but leave the rest of us with a competent commander?

Now Buckner spoke up. “Sir, I ask you to consider our entire position. With my army now combined with yours, that leaves Burnside with some twenty thousand men, easily, sitting in Eastern Tennessee. If we retreat, we give them Chattanooga as an assembly point. Against Rosecrans and Burnside combined, I don’t think we stand any chance.”

“And how do you propose to stop them?” That wasn’t Bragg, it was General Walker. He commanded the two divisions sent from Johnston in Mississippi. He was a fine commander, but by rank only a Major General, and so sub-ordinate to both Hill and Polk. For that matter, Buckner was a Major General too.

Hill interjected. “And I say again, we should leave a single division in the town and move everything else south. Burnside wouldn’t attack if we left a single regiment in the town. As for Rosecrans, he does only have 1 corps along the river, a division of ours should be sufficient to delay him, along with well-sited artillery on the mountains, until we strike from the south. Rosecrans will be vulnerable on the march.”

“Generals, the matter is moot,” Bragg said. “Hill, say what you will, but I cannot risk a whole division. It will be outnumbered easily 5 to 1, assailed from two directions. It is small enough to be decimated, and large enough to be better-suited elsewhere.”

He took another breath and continued. “We will retreat. Tonight. The orders are already out, the troops are already in motion. We may have waited too long, but we will make ourselves and the army safe first. From a position southeast of the town, we may indeed have an opportunity to strike Rosecrans on the move. I have no intention of retreating far.”

Many faces brightened at the last statement. Hill in particular looked almost cheerful. Polk, though, remained stony-faced.

“This is my final word. We are retreating, and I will not have this decision revoked.” He turned to Polk. “Do you understand, General Polk? If I may be incapacitated for the next year, my final order is to evacuate this town, and it will be carried out. By the witnesses in this room, when I come to I will hear if you have disobeyed my orders, and the consequences will be the most severe. Is that clear?”

“Yes, sir.”

Bragg slumped even further into the bed. “Alright. See to it men. I want everyone on the roads to Ringgold and La Fayette as quickly as possible. Specifics are in the written orders. Dismissed.”

One by one the generals filed out of the bedroom. Bragg lied down, exhausted, but mind still active. He picked up the orders from Richmond, and read part of them again.

…General Robert Edward Lee will be arriving as soon as possible at your headquarters, at which point you will turn command over to him, and travel to Richmond for new assignment. Until that time, you are to command the Army of Tennessee in as great a capacity as your injuries allow…

At least Davis still thinks highly enough of me to not just shelve me immediately. I suppose the orders could have been worse. If Polk was given command……but that hasn’t happened, and I thank God that is the case.

He put the letter down, closed his eyes. Visions of the past year came to mind. The triumphant march into Kentucky, the total lack of coordination at Perryville, the incredible loss of life at Murfreesboro. The bloodless retreat from Tullahoma, and now another bloodless retreat from Chattanooga. It was humiliating. Rosecrans had beaten him every single time the armies came together, and now the Army of Tennessee was retreating out of its namesake state…

I will have my victory, Bragg thought, as he drifted off into a restless sleep.

September 9th, 1863 - Morning
Just West of Chattanooga, Tennessee

Brigadier General Thomas Wood was not a happy man. Throughout the year, he felt that he had been slighted for innumerable reasons. Topping the list was being a volunteer in an army where most of the high command were regulars.

This view was a misguided one, but then Thomas Wood had a huge ego. In fact, he and his division were praised by both corps commander Thomas Crittenden and Army commander William Rosecrans. Only once recently had he fallen out with anyone in high command, and that over something seemingly trivial. He had been ordered to make a demonstration against Chattanooga while the Confederates still occupied it. While it made strategic sense for the Army as a whole, it seemed, accurately enough, like risking his men to slaughter. Wood balked, made a small demonstration, and retreated.

It did not affect the campaign at all, but Wood wanted his name cleared. In the ensuing exchange of letters, Rosecrans sided with Crittenden against Wood, and said that he was disappointed that the reconnaissance was not made fully. Wood’s sensitive ego went into overdrive, and he decided that what the Commanding General wanted overall was blind obedience to orders.

At the moment, Wood was bending this view slightly.

“What is the meaning of this rabble, Colonel Atkins?”

“Sir, my regiment and I are ordered to Chattanooga, and that is where we are going. If we happen to be moving faster than your own column, then it would seem like simple prudence to let us pass.”

“Well of course. Yours is a cavalry regiment, so obviously you would be faster. My division is the leading division of this Army, and our orders say also to march to Chattanooga. I yield the road to nobody. We are only an hour away as it is.”

“Yes sir, but I have here orders written out personally by General Rosecrans himself, and they say that we are to be the first into the town. He has also told us to tell all infantry commanders to yield the road to us.”

“Let me see ‘em.”

Atkins handed over the piece of paper. Wood read down it quickly, his eyes a blur. They said exactly what Atkins claimed, and said explicitly and clearly that all infantry were to give precedence to the cavalry regiment.

Damn! Damn you, Smith Atkins, and damn your Ninety-Second Illinois, and damn General Rosecrans, and damn these orders to the most fiery pits of hell!” He paused, sat there quietly for several seconds.

“Colonel Buell, get your men off the road! Captain Berry, ride up the column and tell Colonel Harker and General Wagner the same thing.” He turned back to Atkins, still shaking with anger. “There you are, Colonel. There’s your road, little good may it do you.”

“Thank you, General. A very pleasant day to you too!” said Atkins, smiling. He saluted, and rode forward, the cavalry column coming on fast behind.

As soon as they had passed, Wood turned to his other aides. “Tell everyone in the column to advance on the double-quick. I’ll be damned if Atkins get in first, orders or no!”

---------------------------

Meanwhile, Atkins was riding his men hard too. They reached the base of Lookout Mountain, then started climbing. They encountered some Rebel pickets, the prisoners later admitted from the First Tennessee Legion, and got to the top of the mountain. The view was amazing, though everyone was rather lightheaded.

But not lightheaded enough not to hug Mother Earth. As soon as Atkins reached the top, the Union battery from the northern bank started firing at him and his men. Lilly clearly though they were Confederates.

Atkins didn’t particularly like being shelled, especially by friendly fire.

“You two! Go and swim across the river, and call of those gunners.” He picked two of the strongest swimmers in his regiment, and they went off gamely.

“They will still take easily half an hour to cross,” said Sergeant Tucker, his aide. “What do we do in the meantime, sir?”

“Dig.”

The men started entrenching as fast as they could. Incoming shells exploded, and soldiers hid in the craters. A few shots still found targets.

One young boy from Company F ran up to the Colonel. “Colonel Atkins, sir?”

“Yes, what is it?”

“Sir, I spend some time in the signal corps. I could send a message to Lilly across the river, sir, if you wanted.”

“Well yes, damn it! Anything faster than swimming is fine by me.”

The boy pulled out his handkerchief, and tore it in two. It was a fairly clean fabric, and stood out clearly. The boy found two sticks lying on the ground, and tied each half of the cloth to each stick. He looked around, and saw a large rock jutting out over the valley. He climbed quickly up to it.

“What message should I send, sir?”

“Ninety-second Illinois!”

The boy nodded, and started to wave his makeshift flags. Just then, however, a shell hit a little ways up the hill, and in the explosion some rocks rolled downhill, hit the boy in the leg, and he stumbled and fell. He did not fall far, luckily, catching on a tree branch and rolling a few dozen feet down the mountain. But he had a huge gash in his leg, and another rock falling on his chest had knocked him out.

“Right, that’s out,” said Atkins. “Somebody go down to him.” He looked around. “Anyone else here had the fortune to serve in the signal corps?”

No one spoke up. “Damn! Well then, I guess we just have to wait on the swimmers. Keep digging, as if this was Confederate fire.”

His men dutifully obeyed for the next ten minutes. Then, to everybody’s great surprise, up ran General Wood and his aides, winded by the climb, but in a state of great agitation. “Colonel Atkins!”

“Yes, General Wood, what is it?”

“I had hoped to talk to you in a more convivial environment. This climb, and the shelling……anyway, I just wanted to let you know that if you are having any difficulty, I will reinforce you. Sorry if I didn’t make that clear an hour ago.”

“Oh, is that all?” Atkins snapped. He turned to his own men for a moment, then paused, and turned back.

“Actually, General, there is something you can do for us. It’s not directly reinforcement, but……Do you have anyone who served in the signal corps?”

Wood was surprised. “Yes, actually. One of my aides. Lieutenant, come forward!” A man came from the knot of aides. “Why? What do you need him for?” Wood asked.

“Well,” replied Atkins, “if he can signal across the river that we are in fact American troops, we can stop the shelling that’s been going on for the last half hour.”

“Of course,” breathed Wood. “A superb idea! Lieutenant! Go to it.”

Atkins handed him the signal ‘flags’, now much dirtier, and the Lieutenant climbed up on the same rock. Atkins prayed under his breath.

But no shot came this time. At least, not at the Lieutenant. He finished his message in a few seconds. The last shot fired went low, and hit the ground some feet in front of General Wood. It uprooted a decent-sized tree, which flying uphill, hit Wood in the stomach, and knocked him down.

------------------

Across the river, Sergeant King was once again by the battery. It was now protected by a giant earthen rampart, reinforced by wooden beams at the front, and had taken no more casualties from the wildly inaccurate Confederate fire.

Lieutenant Wagner, however, was not happy. “The ammunition wagons haven’t arrived yet. We have something like 15 rounds per gun. After that, this battery is worthless.”

“Well, I’m sure Colonel Wilder is trying his best, sir. There aren’t exactly any good roads from here to the rest of the Army.”

The fourth gun barked, and sent a shell towards the town proper. “Oh, what a waste of ammunition! There’s nothing left in the town worth hitting. Even their troops have stayed undercover. Finally built some good earthworks, no doubt. Took them long enough too.”

“Yes, sir, that it did. If you ask me, it seems like somebody over in the rebel camp finally took charge of things. They can’t affect us much on this bank, they don’t have any pontoons. But the rest of the army may be in for some surprises, eh?”

“I hope not. That means whoever’s over there actually has some brains.”

King did not answer. He was looking across the river, scanning positions. He finally had a spyglass of his own, scrounged from the surplus. As his gaze turned eastward, he saw activity on Lookout Mountain. Then wisps of smoke.

“Hey. Take a look at this, Lieutenant. What do you make of the smoke on Lookout?”

Wagner turned his attention, and his telescope, on the mountain. “Hmm. I’d say that looks like a skirmish line firing. But Colonel Wilder says we’re not supposed to have troops by Chattanooga for two days yet.”

“Maybe Crittenden actually is ahead of schedule, for once.”

“Yeah, maybe Sergeant. Or maybe the rebs are just fooling us. It’s happened too often before.” He looked more closely. “That could just be potshots at animals – I’m sure the traitors are hungry enough.”

“Could be.” King looked towards the summit. “Oh no. That’s a rebel flag, sure as shootin’, and it’s heading down the mountain.”

“Reinforcements,” said Wagner. “Gotta be. Maybe we really do have troops there. If so, I’m sure they’d love some enfilade fire.”

“And if not?”

“Then it’s just rebs, and I’m sure they do mind enfilade fire, making it a very good reason to give them some.”

“Alright, sir. It’s your battery. Take it away.”

“I’ll do that, Sergeant.” Wagner turned to the other three guns. “Concentrate all fire on Lookout Mountain! We have stray rebs out in the open!”

The gunners raised a cheer, and responded with enthusiasm. The cannons fired in sequence, allowing for a relatively continuous rate of fire, still keeping some shells for each gun. Soon the summit of Lookout Mountain was covered in smoke, making it impossible to aim shots. Not too long after that, the guns were down to 5 shells per cannon.

“Hold your fire!” Wagner got out his spyglass, and took a look. “Hey! There’s someone signaling over there! Corporal Ryan, you’re our engineer. What is he saying?”

The Corporal squinted. He took out his own binoculars, and still squinted. Then he jumped into the air, with a huge smile, and shouted “Ninety-Second Illinois!”

A huge cheer ran up amongst both the battery and the infantry.

----------------------------

Atkins heard the cheer, even from across the river. But the first thing on his mind was Wood.

“No, I’m alright!” Wood called. He was conscious at least, and tried to lift the tree off of himself. “Someone get over here and help me up!”

Half a dozen aides ran over. It was soon clear that Wood was alright. Stunned, perhaps, and with minor injuries, but nothing life-threatening.

Wood limped over to Atkins. “Wow! Right. Colonel……I’d say you’re welcome to go into Chattanooga first. Never know who else might want to fire on their own men.”

“If you had just followed orders the first time…”

“I know, Colonel. I’ll take it to heart.”

“More to stomach. Sir.”

“Right. Well, go on. I’m sure your boys are just itching to be first into the town. Go right ahead. On one condition.”

“What’s that, sir?”

“I want to use the Crutchfield House as my headquarters.”

Atkins thought. “That’s the house that Bragg used as Army headquarters?” Wood nodded. Atkins smiled. “Well, alright. I can’t begrudge you. After all, it’s only fitting. That house is the house for the squashed commander.”

Even Wood had to smile at that.

In OTL, here's what happened. Lilly and the Union gunners were not quite so accurate. The young boy who signalled was not injured at all, and the signal worked. When Wood arrived, it was to a quiet field, and to a Colonel Atkins who had already moved his HQ into the Crutchfield House.

In TTL, Wood will be even more careful than OTL about "blind obedience to orders". That will become important later......

The TL So Far

Sorry, I ran out of time for something major today. But it seemed prudent to condense 5 postings of novel-style material into the key points. So:

The breakpoint: General Braxton Bragg is disabled by cannon fire on August 22nd, 1863.

Key Events:
  • He almost but doesn't quite die. Command of the AoT is divided between Bragg and Polk, with the result that nothing gets done (which is not really all that different from OTL......)
  • On September 2nd, D. H. Hill makes a formal complaint to Richmond, which Polk endorses
  • On September 5th, President Davis appoints Lee to command the AoT, and Longstreet to command the AoNV, over Lee's protests.
  • Lee decides that Ewell's corps will be the one sent to reinforce the AoT
  • The Confederates evacuate Chattanooga on September 7th, as in OTL
  • The Union takes Chattanooga on September 9th, as in OTL
Also, the following "minor" characters are introduced, in order of appearance. Most will be heard from again:
  • Sergeant Harrison King, Union. Company H, 123rd Illinois, Colonel Wilder's Cavalry Brigade (I count Wilder as a Major Character, and he definitely will be heard from again), with Spencer Repeating Rifles
  • Lieutenant Wagner, Union. Lilly's artillery battery, 1st Gun.
  • Captain John Lewis, Confederate. 45th Alabama, Wood's Brigade, Cleburne's Division
  • Lieutenant Randall Napier, Confederate. 45th Alabama, etc.
  • Colonel Smith Atkins, Union. 92nd Illinois, Wilder's Brigade
  • Brigadier General Thomas Wood - he's not really minor, but unlike in OTL, he is even more determined to follow "blind obedience to orders".
  • TBD: someone, probably a Major, from an as-yet-undetermined unit in Ewell's corps, Confederate.

September 9th, 1863 - Afternoon
Richmond, Virginia - Rail Depot

"Alright, men! Keep together, route step. I want no straggling, not today. Not in Richmond!"

The men of the 4th Virginia responded with a cheer. This was the last part of their fairly long march from positions near the Rapidan River to the train station in Richmond. Lieutenant Colonel Richard Gardner wanted everything to be perfect for the actual march through the Capital.

“Don’t you go worrying about the boys, Colonel. They know how to behave. If they haven’t learned that in two years……well, they’ll do fine. Especially since Marse Robert is coming with us!”

That last part was directed to the Regiment at large, and it met with an even bigger cheer. The 4th Virginia was part of the famous Stonewall Brigade, now commanded by General John Walker, of General Edward “Bushrod” Johnson’s division, Ewell’s corps. But of course, in the bright days of 1861, it had been headed by Stonewall Jackson himself, and the men didn’t forget that.

There were, of course, some new faces, men brought into the regiments to fill the ever-growing holes caused by 2 years of casualties. But the new men fell into the spirit of things very quickly. The Stonewall Brigade was quite possibly the best-trained, hardest fighting, highest-morale unit in the IInd Corps.

Furthermore, they were the unit leading the triumphant march of Ewell’s corps to the rail depot in Richmond. And riding right alongside them was General Robert E. Lee himself.

It seemed to Major William Warren that Lee would have preferred simply to ride straight through. But the throngs of people lining every road cheered and applauded, children of all ages ran out of the houses just to see the victorious troops march by. Some people threw flowers. Others offered fresh glasses of milk. Wherever Lee rode the cheering was loudest. Proper gentleman that he was, he bowed and doffed his hat almost continuously. The Stonewall Brigade cheered right along with the citizens of Richmond.

“Very polite, aren’t they?” Warren asked the Colonel. “They almost remind me of everyone back home in the Valley.”

“Yes, except these people aren’t farmers. Don’t know the first thing about farming, considering how clean they all look. Probably run small shops in the city. You dropped them in the Shenandoah Valley, and they’d starve within the year.”

Still the crowds were enormous, as the soldiers marched ever deeper into Richmond. Soon the White House came into sight, up a large hill to the west. Confederate flags flew everywhere, the cross of the Battle Flag, the Stars and Bars of the national flag, and even some of the newer flags.

“They look too much like surrender flags to me, Colonel,” whispered Major Warren.

“Frankly, I agree, Major. You can’t just put the battle flag in the canopy and let the rest be white. That’s, what, three-quarters white, issn’t?”

The men trudged on. Besides the spectacle, the White House didn’t look all that impressive. Another few blocks into town, and the men could see long lines of cars, engines just waiting to pull them. There was a huge crowd at the rail depot. The 4th Virginia was the third regiment in line, so they stopped a block from the depot. And they were lucky to do so…

“There’s President Davis!” someone shouted, and at once every head was turned in that direction. Sure enough, just a block from the station, up came walking a huge procession, guards and lesser dignitaries abounded, but clear from within the middle of it all came the President.

Lee immediately rode over and dismounted. All the President’s guards, and most of the troops on that block, saluted Lee, but Lee turned and first saluted the President; he was, after all, Commander-in-Chief. They started speaking, and their conversation lasted for quite some time. At least it seemed that way to cheering, impatient troops. Then Davis turned to the crowd and spoke.

William Warren could not hear a word that the President was saying. With an entire brigade’s worth of troops cheering between them, plus the flock of citizens, it was a futile exercise for the Major. Then General Lee started to speak. Everybody quieted down instantly – but it was still a windy day, and the distance was still large. Warren heard Lee’s speech in only bits and fragments:

“…my men……so brave and noble……do proudly defend this nation……my greatest confidence……now…our brethren in the west……a decisive victory……God-willing, our nation……strong of heart…”

A loud outbreak of cheers from the troops in front of him signified the end of General Lee’s speech. The President had made sure that he was unaccompanied by reporters on the way to see the troops, and so Lee’s impromptu speech was not recorded by anyone.

Much as the men wanted to stay near the idyllic Lee, General Walker had his orders. “To the trains, men!” he called, and the column started forward again.

When Warren rounded the final bend and saw the cars waiting, he was shocked. As the fourth Virginia was the third regiment in line, he could see the first two regiments crowded into boxcars, shoved together onto flatcars, with nary an inch of space. It was obvious that the men were uncomfortable, hundreds per car, with little air to breath.

“We’re not going to get fed on this ride, are we?” the Major asked Gardner.

“Nope,” replied the Colonel. “It’s whatever you have on your backs, and whatever you have room to take out from your knapsack, and we’re travelling like that for days. Until we have to transfer, of course. You ever been down by South Carolina or Georgia on the railroad, Major?”

“No, sir.”

“Well, in maybe five days, or whatever it takes us to get down that far, we have to get off of this here train, and get on a different one. Why? Because the track changes somehow, that’s why. The damnyankees have it all worked out, standardize the track, or something newfangled, but we’re going to be uncomfortable, cramped, hungry, and dead tired when we reach Augusta, just in time to transfer and do it all over again.”

“Sounds fun, Colonel.”

“You’d better believe it. And at the end, guess what? Another big battle.”

-----------------

“I expect to hear great things from out west, sir.” Longstreet smiled.

Lee remained serious to the last. “I pray to God that we will, General. I’ll tell you, I don’t know anything about the situation out there, except that it could be better.”

“Yeah. Bragg ran out of Chattanooga, he’s still outnumbered until you get there, and half a corps coming down the mountains behind him. I suppose you could argue that it could be better.” Longstreet was unusually jocular today. “Well, I expect you’ll manage. If anyone can fix the mess out there, you’re the man for it, General, and no one will deny that.”

“Perhaps, General Longstreet. But my mind will always be on Virginia. You’ve got to hold back those people. Use every detail of terrain to your advantage. If Meade gets careless, strike. But do be careful, General. We cannot afford any more mistakes here. The fault is mine, but you must not risk this army.” Lee paused, then smiled himself. “Here I am, lecturing to my old warhorse. You’ll do fine, General. There is no one I trust more.”

“Thank you sir.” Longstreet was seriousness all over again.

“And do keep a close eye on General Anderson. The appointment is only temporary. If he should prove dissatisfactory as a corps commanded, do feel free to replace him with someone else. Of course, I think he will be quite competent, but…”

“Don’t worry, General Lee. I will bear that in mind.” Longstreet frowned. “Of course, he’s probably now the best division commander in the Army, and Pickett being in such a slump.” Lee admired how Longstreet kept the accusatory tone from his voice. “If Hood recovers in a timely manner…”

“I will pray for it, General.”

“Yes. Well, I expect Anderson will be up to the job. Do come back quickly, General Lee. This Army needs you.”

“I told as much to the President. I don’t expect he’ll change his mind now. We’re committed. Well. It’s all in God’s hands now.”

Longstreet saluted. “Yes, sir, but I expect having the best man to work with here on earth has to help.”

Lee returned the salute. Longstreet saddled back up, and rode away to the north, back to his Army. A. P. Hill and Richard Anderson, Lee thought. Fine men. With Longstreet to lead them……I think the situation here is in good enough hands.

God’s Will. Thy will be done.

You have offically intrigued me.

Personally I am of the school that after Antietam a Confederate military victory was impossible. And Gettysburg ended the possibility of the North folding.

Frankly I was little interested in seeinmg the Confederacy be defeated in a different manner.

Yet despite these reservations, your new piece intrigues me greatly. For that yo have my sicere compliments.

I will be watching.

September 9th, 1863 – Nearing Midnight
Rosecrans’ Headquarters – Southwest of Chattanooga

"Gentlemen, we have the Rebels on the run! Another few days’ pursuit and we shall crush the Army formerly under Bragg once and for all!”

George Thomas stayed silent. He and General William Rosecrans normally had a very good relationship both professionally and socially. Certainly they were the two best men to hold the posts they did – Rosecrans was a far sight better than Generals Buell, Polk, Halleck, or anyone else who had commanded the Army of the Cumberland; Thomas was easily the best Corps commander the Union had to offer west of the Appalachians.

Here, however, the men strongly disagreed. Thomas was a less aggressive man than Rosecrans; some called him prudent, others cautious, depending on the tilt. Rosecrans was convinced that Bragg/Polk was on the run, and that the army was demoralized and unwilling to make a serious stand short of Atlanta. Thomas thought the Southerners had plenty of fight left, and he had advised to concentrate the whole Union Army at Chattanooga and then prepare for the pursuit south.

Certainly, the Army of the Cumberland was widely spread. Crittenden’s column had only occupied Chattanooga earlier that day. Thomas was spread ten or twenty miles to the south, crossing Lookout Mountain at several “gaps” that were gaps in name only. McCook’s corps was another good 30 miles to the south of Thomas, facing equally shoddy gaps and dusty roads, without a cavalry screen.

If the Confederates were in fact in retreat, this wide-spread formation offered a good chance to catch them on the run and destroy them in detail. If, however, Thomas was correct, then Bragg/Polk had a much more centralized Army and could concentrate against any one of the Northern columns.

But Thomas had argued too long with Rosecrans about this matter, and so would stay silent now. Any objections would have to come from the other corps commanders.

Crittenden started. “Sir, you are aware that this Army has been steadily advancing for over a week. My men are tired from all the marching, and constant skirmishing has wrecked their nerves. If we have to do any fighting at all when we finally catch the Rebels, my men will need at least a short rest.”

Thomas would have preferred Crittenden not to go first. He was a competent commander, but not a smart man. Never a good way to start an argument, with a weak point.

“May I remind you, General, that your corps has had the shortest march of any in this Army, and along a railroad line to boot! Right next to the river, it’s been flat ground. I’ve been travelling with Thomas’ men, and I can tell you, we have big mountains to go over. Well, even your column can see the northern end of Lookout Mountain, and it’s no fun to march over. But Thomas, even though he is behind schedule, is not complaining.”

“Does he ever complain? Serious, General Rosecrans, you are right, my men have had the easiest march. That means nothing! We have supply trains backed up for twenty miles, I have two divisions still waiting to march into town, the artillery to assemble, get the five scattered brigades over from the north bank – we’re just not ready, sir!”

“Are your supply wagons keeping up with your men, General?”

“Yes, inasmuch as they are only five miles outside of the town. We need to get everyone assembled. One day, sir, that’s all I ask. I can get my corps all assembled in Chattanooga and continue the pursuit from there.”

Rosecrans frowned, then thought. “Half a day. I expect you leading division to be on the road to Rossville by noon tomorrow.”

“Yes, sir.”

“Alright. Now McCook. You have the hardest job. There aren’t any really good roads leading you southeast, so east will have to do. Move your corps directly over the mountain to Dougherty’s Gap, and send a division farther south to Niel’s Gap, and then march east. You should intersect the main road south of La Fayette sometime in the next two or three days.”

“I’ll try, sir, but without any good roads, and our supply trains hung up on Sand Mountain, we may be a little longer than that.” McCook wasn’t an argumentative type.

“Three days, we need the cork in the bottle.”

“So Crittenden’s coming down on the Southerners from Chattanooga, and McCook will block their retreat route. That just leave my boys in the center to press them against one or the other, eh?”

“Right, George. Now, your leading division is Negley’s isn’t it?”

“Yes, sir. He’s all the way into McLemore’s Cove just short of Pigeon Mountain. But his nearest support is Baird’s division, and he’s still a good day’s march west.”

“Which doesn’t matter. One good division like Negley’s should be able to block the flow of disorganized Rebs.”

“If they’re in retreat, which has not yet been proven.”

Rosecrans continued as if he hadn’t heard that remark. “Move Negley forward at sunrise, out through Dug Gap, and his objective is the town of La Fayette. If he reaches that town before Bragg’s leading units, we’ve really got them. Bottle ‘em up and crush ‘em. If not, then we’ve still got them, but there’s going to be some more fighting.”

“Yes, sir.”

The conference went on for a while, but it was about less important matters. Thomas was no longer listening. To hell with me if I let Negley walk into a trap. Maybe there’s no Confederates this side of Dug Gap, but whoever’s in charge over there is not stupid, and has good men to work with. Negley’s marching out at sunrise, yes, and I’m going with him.

------------------

An isolated fragment of Thomas’ corps, estimated to number between four and eight thousand men, is currently in camp at Davis’ Cross Roads. That is only ten miles southwest of Lee and Gordon’s Mill. I believe that it can be crushed in detail, especially as its northern flank will be in the air while marching.

The report had arrived on Polk’s desk earlier that day, from the Third Alabama Cavalry, of General William Martin’s brigade. His men had been guarding the passes into McLemore’s Cove, and had now retreated to their defenses on Pigeon Mountain. That was now the only natural barrier between Rosecrans’ and Polk’s Armies.

Bragg had collapsed earlier that day, but only after giving Polk a little bit of discretion. He had allowed Polk to attack any portion of Rosecrans’ army that exposed itself too much and could be attacked from two sides at once. Specific instructions, but still welcome. Now, the opportunity seemed to have arrived.

I’ve got to credit Bragg on one thing, Polk admitted to himself. Planting deserters to say that this army was falling apart was a stroke of genius. I don’t think Rosecrans would be so reckless otherwise.

Polk immediately looked at his map. Yes, the Confederates did indeed have troops both north and south of the damnyankees. They could be crushed! Polk smiled with glee. No one could accuse him of being particularly aggressive, but he was not stupid, and here opportunity seemed to not only be knocking, but to have open welcoming arms.

Down the valley from the yankee detachment was Polk’s own corps. A division or two could march the ten or so miles south up the valley (yes, here south was up the valley) and arrive not long after daybreak. To the southeast, having just arrived at La Fayette, was Hill’s corps. A division of his could march through Dug Gap and attack the yankees head-on, and the distance was even shorter.

Polk re-read the message. “between four and eight thousand men”. Either one of the Confederate divisions would outnumber the northerners on its own. Combined………the more Polk thought about this, the more he loved it.

Within ten minutes the orders went out. Hindman’s division, of Polk’s own corps, was to march south immediately. Cleburne’s division of Hill’s corps was to march westward. The two would meet at sunrise, and swamp over this yankee detachment from two directions at once.

But how to coordinate, with the yankee force between them……one of the two divisions had to attack first. Polk had nothing against Hindman, but Cleburne was a superb commander. Cleburne would attack first, Hindman would wait for the sound of his guns, then join in. Simplicity itself!

Polk smiled again. This might be but the first of many such small annihilations of Yankee forces. Maybe, just maybe, I can beat them all before Lee even arrives!

September 10th, 1863 – Dawn
Polk’s Headquarters – Lee and Gordon’s Mill, Georgia

Polk had been shaken awake by a nervous aide. “Sir? Sir? I’m very sorry to wake you sir, but this message just came from General Hill, and it is important that you read it soon.”

Polk shook himself out of sleepy stupor, and turned for his spectacles. He had a bad feeling already. Hill should have had Cleburne on the road for a few hours already, so unless this was simply a progress report, it had to be bad news. And “progress reports” were never considered important.

Sure enough, the missive held no good news. While appropriately couched in both military terminology and social dainties, essentially Hill was refusing to advance. He had some reasons, though. Cleburne was sick, and Hill did not trust his leading brigade commanders with such responsibility as the whole division. Then, one of the division’s three brigades was on picket duty, and it would take hours to assemble it. Furthermore, the retiring Confederate cavalry had put obstructions in Dug Gap. While quite nice for defense, it was now almost impossible to march through. The obstructions needed to be cleared, which would take even more time.

Polk’s anger rose at once. Compounded by lack of sleep, surely, but present nonetheless. My beautiful plan, ruined! All because Hill refuses to listen to orders.

“You’d think he at least would have the decency to let me know immediately if he could not obey my orders.”

“Begging your pardon, sir,” stammered the nervous aide, “but why don’t you just read more carefully the first line in his report.”

Polk looked towards that line: “…in regard to your orders of yesterday evening, which I unfortunately only received at 4:30 AM…”

He looked at his pocket watch. The time was only a bit after five. Hill must have written his reply as soon as he received the message.

“4:30? Darn it all!” We’ll have to look into that – I can’t have orders wandering the countryside for five hours. Well. I guess it’s not all Hill’s fault. Still, I should not have my plans folding on themselves like this. Bragg has complained about that for months, and gosh darn it if maybe he doesn’t have a point…

“All right, Captain. Go outside and tell the messenger to return to Hill. He is excused from participating in the attack today, although it will go forward anyway, and he is advised to clear the obstructions from Dug Gap today. Also keep me informed on Cleburne’s health, I will pray for him.”

The aide saluted, and ran off. Polk sat and pondered for a while. Shall the attack really happen? This is still a golden opportunity. Hindman outnumbers this Yankee outpost by himself, and will be hitting it in the flank. If the crushing is not so complete without Cleburne coming in from the south……it’s still a crushing. We attack.

The sun made its appearance, then slowly rose. As the rest of the Army near Lee and Gordon’s Mill began to come to life, Polk could hear nothing from the south. He grew more and more impatient.

Finally, at around 10 AM, a trusted aide from Hindman rushed into camp. “General Hindman’s compliments, sir, and he says that we have been drastically deceived. Civilian reports and his advanced reconnaissance says that we are dealing most likely with two full Federal divisions in the Cove, combined force to exceed 10 thousand men by some margin. They are beginning to entrench but don’t know that Hindman is approaching. Still, we are outnumbered, and there is no sound of Cleburne’s attack.”

Darn it! Darn myself! Polk had forgotten to tell Hindman that Cleburne was no longer attacking, and since Cleburne was supposed to lead the attack, naturally Hindman wouldn’t go in on his own. Why didn’t I think to do that? Now we’ve just wasted four hours!

And yet……it may be God’s blessing. If Hindman did attack and it was against a superior force of entrenched yankees……we may be lucky after all.

The aide continued. “Hindman objects that to attack without support would be suicidal. He requests further orders.”

Polk replied with alacrity. “Alright. Major, you go back to General Hindman and tell him that it is my fault. He can hold the division in readiness to attack, but stay where it is. I’ll have support down for him as soon as possible, though that will be several hours. Cleburne is not attacking. Tell Hindman not to attack unless absolutely guaranteed success.”

The Major saluted, then rode away back south. Polk turned to one of his own aides. “Captain, you ride as fast as you can to General Buckner. Tell him I want his entire corps, Stewart and Preston’s divisions both, on the road south as soon as he can possibly make it. They’ll be supporting an attack of Hindman’s against a Yankee outpost in McLemore’s Cove, and I want the attack to happen today!” The Captain saluted and rode off to fine Buckner.

“They’re better than half a day’s march away, sir,” another of Polk’s aides pointed out. “More than 10 miles. I’m not sure they will arrive in time for an attack today.”

“Darn it, you’re right. Well, with some motivation and double-quick marching they have a chance. If we outnumber the yankees enough, we can afford to have tired men.”

“Yes, sir, but, Hindman did say 2 divisions, which would mean that even with Buckner’s men we don’t even have a two-to-one advantage.”

Polk paused for a long time, weighing all the variables.

“I shall ride into the Cove myself. Buckner will arrive late in the afternoon, most likely. I shall determine how able his men are, and decide then whether to attack or not. But absolutely no one shall attack until this evening at best.”

“Right, sir. We can be there in a few-three hours.”

Meanwhile, also at 10 AM, D. H. Hill paced around inside his tent, near La Fayette, agonizing over his long-past message to Polk. Methodical as Hill was, and as unwilling to attack without hope of success, he still wanted to be in on the action. And Polk had said that there was going to be action (forgetting again to inform a subordinate of the situation – that Hindman had stalled).

Suddenly, Hill heard a large body of mounted men ride up outside his tent. He opened his tent flap, and there, dismounting, was General Cleburne.

“General Hill, sir. I am pleased to report myself ‘fit for duty’, sir.”

“Patrick! There’s a good man!” Hill took another, closer look. “By Jove, man, you look awful! Green around the gills. I know how much you want to fight, but are you sure you’re up for it? You do your men no good by collapsing on the field, like Bragg.”

“Aye, Bragg. He’s a case, and no doubt about it.” Cleburne’s Irish brogue was obvious. “I certainly am not fully present, sir, catching my drift, but I’m not about to go Bragg on you. If my men can go off and fight, then I’m good enough to go with them.”

“Alright. So long as you’re sure.” Hill thought for only a few seconds.

“Well, then the attack is on! Polk said that Hindman’s part of the attack was on anyway, so he surely can’t object to some support on the flank. Is your picketing brigade reformed?”

“Yes, sir, in camp and itching for some action.”

“Good. Advance your men as quickly as possible through Dug Gap. It’s a few miles west, we should be able to get through by early afternoon. Our cavalry threw some debris in the road in the Gap earlier, but I overstated it to Polk, we should be able to get through without too much trouble. Still, better take some good axemen along. And on the other side is something like a division of Federal troops far apart from the rest of the Army, begging to be crushed. Hindman’s keeping them busy from the north. Your boys shall do the crushing.”

“Sir, I eagerly look forward to it. I praise God and the incompetent Northerners for giving us this opportunity, and I shall take full advantage of it.”

“I know you will. Now get moving. I’ll see what’s to be done with Walker’s Corps; a reserve just in case this thing goes to the dogs; and follow you shortly.”

Cleburne saluted, then rode off. Hill assigned various couriers to ride to Walker and Breckenridge, his other division commander, then began packing his things.

My place is now in the field, next to Cleburne. He’s probably healthy enough, but just in case. Besides, I want to be there to see our sweet revenge on the yankees.

---------------

Thomas, riding forward at breakneck speed, caught up with Negley’s column just after Noon. It should have been farther along, had Negley been marching at a nice steady pace.

Clearly he had not. “All our reports said the Rebs were no closer than Dug Gap, but as soon as my men left the crossroads we ran into their picket line. We’ve been deploying into and out of line so often this morning that the march is a crawl. I threw out a very strong skirmish line, so strong that it’s almost as slow-marching as a real line, and have the division stacked behind it. And then, just a few minutes ago, we cleared the pine forests and came to this here plantation, the locals say it’s run by the Widow Davis, and, well, you should take a look, sir.”

Thomas rode forward. There was a high knoll right off of the road, which had a very fine view indeed. The main road intersected one branching off to the left, or north, down the valley. A good mile or two down that road was clearly a large body of Confederate troops, at least a division by the flags.

“But they haven’t moved at all,” said Negley. “They’ve just been standing there, solid, for a half-hour. I have scouts out in that direction, and they say the enemy is digging in!”

Thomas was surprised, but not displeased. That was one direction from which to avoid immediate danger. He turned back to the front. The road continued forward uphill, towards Dug Gap – still a long climb up – and back into rocky forest. He got out his spyglass. At the Gap itself, he could see men hard at work. Distance obscured any details. Looking just below the Gap, and trying to peer through narrow gaps in the trees, Thomas could make out several Confederate flags, all slowing advancing towards Negley’s position.

Just then, there was a commotion to the right. “General Negley, sir,” called someone, “we just captured a Reb, who has some interesting information.” The person, who turned out to be a Lieutenant, stopped short when he saw Thomas. “General Thomas, sir,” the man stammered. “Uh, we were just telling Negley……but now we should tell you, I guess, sir. We have here a man on picket duty from the Thirty-second Mississippi, who says he has a warning for us.”

“Well, my good Corporal,” said Thomas to the prisoner, who was indeed a Corporal, “what is you warning.”

“As I was just telling these men here, sir,” said the man, clearly not impressed by Thomas, “I have to tell you that if your men advance past this point, they will get severely whipped.”

“I see. Any details, perhaps, like why or how? Or by whom?”

“By a huge number of my fellow Southerners marching through the Gap, Cleburne’s division, all itching to beat y’all.”

“What do you know about those Confederates to the north of here?”

The Mississippi man looked. “I can’t say much, except that they’re Hindman’s and they were supposed to attack yesterday. Since they’ve stopped now, I reckon the plan’s all busted, and so have no idea what they’ll do. Damn Hindman! Probably got cold feet.”

“Yes. Well, thank you, Corporal, you’ve been very informative. Guards! Take this man to the rear, and be gentle so long as he cooperates.” He then turned to Negley. “Well, I’d say we’re in a pretty pickle here. If the man’s right, we have a division to our front and one on our flank, both supposed to attack us. No telling what else is stacked behind them.”

“Right.” Negley looked worried. “I ordered the men to stop in this field for a short rest, and then was going to have them entrench. Do you want anything more specific, sir?”

“No, that looks okay. Have one brigade facing north and two facing east. I’d wager on Cleburne over Hindman any day for aggressiveness. I’ll send a rider back right away for Baird’s division, and then the rest of the corps. Stack your baggage well behind the main line, save for ammunition, and be prepared to fight right here. If Cleburne attacks, or quite frankly if Hindman attacks, we’re in for it. Baird won’t arrive ‘til tomorrow. Damn General Rosecrans! I told him something like this would happen if we advanced too quickly!”

“Yes, sir.”

----------------

Cleburne reached the top of Dug Gap around 1 PM. Most of the obstructions were cleared, thanks to the axemen, but it needed a little more work to be a road for artillery.

He looked down on the valley below him. Yes, the Federal body looked just like a division in strength, although not fully deployed yet. He saw one brigade facing north, and beginning to dig trenches, and another aligning itself against Cleburne’s men. A third seemed to be turning towards him as well, but it was some ways back.

“A perfect opportunity,” Cleburne muttered to an aide. “If Hindman keeps that one brigade busy, we can smash this first one outright and the third before it even deploys! How are our boys coming on?”

“Sir, S.A.M. Wood’s brigade is in line first, and they’re ready. Deshler’s men are almost through the Gap, and should be ready too. Polk’s brigade is coming, but will be some fifteen minutes, easy.”

“Right. That’s good enough. Two brigades up, one in reserve. I know our big guns are still short of the mountain, but do we have that signal gun up?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Good. Fire that gun, let Hindman know we’re here. He’s strangely quiet, but I’m sure his presence is enough to be going on with. We’re going in, though, with or without him.”

A few second later, the gun fired. It could do no damage to anyone, except for their eardrums. Everybody on the not-yet-battlefield could hear it.

Wood’s brigade was up, Deshler’s was almost up. Cleburne couldn’t wait. An echelon attack, separate by not even ten minutes, couldn’t hurt his chances.

The engagement was about to begin.

Sorry, again little time today.

But here is a map of the engagement, which will be described in detail in tomorrow's post. And to keep it interesting, I'm not showing the lines for anybody retreating, so you have to read tomorrow to find out the results.

September 10, 1 PM: The Battle of Widow Davis Fields

G1 - September 10 1863 - 1 PM - The Battle of Widow Davis Field.jpg

September 10th, 1863 – 1:00 PM
The Widow Davis Fields – Georgia

Thomas turned to Negley. “Which brigade is your first one facing east?”

“That would be Sirwell’s, sir. Stanley is guarding the road north, with one regiment picketed out towards the Chickamauga Creek, and Beatty is just deploying now. He was guarding the baggage train and his men have had a longer march.”

“Fair enough. I am sorry to supersede you here, General, but would you mind going back and hurrying up Beatty’s men? I think Sirwell is going to need all the help he can get, especially on his right flank. It’s in the air; have Beatty come in on that flank. The Rebs definitely will look for it, especially if that’s really Cleburne out there.”

“Right sir. You’re quite welcome to it.” Negley rode back very quickly. He was not afraid, no. Negley was a wonderful volunteer officer. But he did not like committing men in risky situations, and was more than happy to turn operational affairs over to Thomas.

“Come on,” Thomas said to his aides, and rode quickly forward to Sirwell’s line, where the skirmishers were already firing.

“Company, forward!” yelled Captain John Lewis.

The rebel yell sounded throughout the ranks. The mainstay of every battle the 45th Alabama had yet been it, bloodcurdling cries and screeches sounded from every throat, enough to make many green enemy units flee even before the battle started. Lieutenant Randall Napier was more concerned for his poor ears, although even he would admit that it increased morale among the ranks.

His regiment was in the front line of S.A.M. Wood’s brigade, arranged with three regiments up and three in the second line. Cleburne was taking no chances, in case the Yankee forces proved stronger than expected.

“Sir, I think we can hit them in the flank!” Napier said. It seemed true. The right two regiments of Wood’s first line were arrayed nicely against the two-and-a-half regiments the Union line offered.

“Yes. Good thing we’re on this side of the line. If we overlapped that brigade’s other flank, we’d only hit that regiment’s refused line and get nowhere. Besides, Hindman should be attacking there. I can’t imagine why he’s not.”

“Well, since we overlap here, it doesn’t matter. We can crush this brigade and win the battle.”

“Yes, except how much is behind this brigade, Lieutenant?”

Napier had no answer.

As the 45th Alabama continued forward, the two regiments on its right began to engage the Union line. It seemed like an equal contest, for the moment.

--------------------

It seemed certainly like an equal contest when viewed from some distance behind the line. Cleburne was just entering the Widow Davis fields, with binoculars out. He showed no expression at all. Neither pleasure nor displeasure at the battle so far, nor excitement at the simple fact of engagement. That would come later.

“General Deshler!” Cleburne called. Deshler came riding up at breakneck speed. “I want you to take your brigade and bring it into line just to the left of Wood’s people. Keep the line continuous, I want you to take command of Wood’s left-most regiment and wheel to the right, with that unit as the pivot. We’re going to roll up this Yankee brigade’s flank and destroy them before any supports can arrive. Move quickly!”

“Yes sir!”

With that, Cleburne looked happier. He paused for a fraction of a second.

“Scratch that, actually. I’ll ride forward with you.”

--------------------

Barely a mile north of the battlefield, General Polk rode southward as fast as he could push his horse. The closer he got, the louder the sounds of battle sounded, and the more puzzled Polk became. And the more puzzled he became, the more infuriated he became, at not knowing what was happening.

Soon he came across a decently progressing earthen breastwork; Hindman’s men had been busy. A few minutes of searching found him Hindman himself.

“General Hindman: What in God’s name is going on down there?”

“I don’t know, sir.” Hindman was obviously uncomfortable. He seemed almost as puzzled as Polk was. “Clearly it’s a fight. The only force I know of in that area has to be Cleburne’s division, but you said he wasn’t going to be involved today.”

“That’s what I thought too! He’s supposed to be sick, Hill gave me a whole list of reasons why he couldn’t attack. But we don’t have any other forces near there, you’re right. It has to be Cleburne. What is Hill thinking? I’m going to kill him when this is over!”

“Sir, shall I support? My men can be formed up in a few minutes. It sounds only as if the fighting is getting hotter, we could be there in time to support Cleburne, General.”

“No, it’s too risky. We’re dealing with at least 2 Federal divisions down there, entrenched and in a good position. You and Cleburne combined still wouldn’t be able to sweep them. I ordered Buckner to bring his men down here to attack, but that won’t happen until tomorrow, probably. What can Hill possibly be thinking? A frontal attack against that position is suicide!”

Polk was breathing heavily, with red cheeks. Hindman thought that he might, in fact, assault Hill if Polk saw him right now.

“I need to tell Cleburne to break off the engagement now! But to ride back down the valley and the south down the main road and through Dug Gap will take several hours.”

“Sir, we could try sending a messenger through the woods.”

“I don’t know. Reports say that this is very heavy woods. There are no paths through it. And maybe the Yankees have pickets out there, I would.”

“Maybe, but their position is in the field proper. They’re well back from the forest. If the messenger stayed well to the northeast, then even if there are pickets out there, he could evade them. Besides, the pickets should be rejoining the main line anyway, since Cleburne is making a real attack.”

Polk thought. “We’ll do both.” He called for his most trusted aide, and spent about thirty seconds writing out the orders. They looked like the finest form of scribbles, but they would have to do. The man rode off towards the woods, praying. Polk sent a second aide back up the main road, to ensure that Hill would get the message.

“Now all we can do is wait, and pray.”

Meanwhile, the battle went on.

Thomas was riding along Sirwell’s line, giving encouragement in two ways. First, he was talking, in a calm collected voice. Everyone above the rank of Major could fall off for a few seconds to hear him, his icy coolness, and feel safer. Second, he rode right along the front line, every now and then stopping to fire his pistol. The men admired him, and felt that they were in the most important part of the line, and so were resolved to fight even harder.

Standard practice, but few Generals on the continent were brave enough to do it. Thomas was greatly loved by his men, and this was why.

After some time, though, when it was clear that Sirwell’s men could hold their own against the frontal attacks, Thomas took out his spyglass and looked right. He could see both the 45th Alabama heading for Sirwell’s flank, and then Deshler’s Brigade behind it.

Sirwell rode over. “I don’t think we can stop them, if they all go for the flank, like they’re doing.”

“I agree.” Thomas looked at the Confederates come on for a few seconds. “Sirwell, refuse your right-flank regiment, and wait for the Rebels to come.”

Sirwell was silent. Thomas looked at him, stony-faced. “Is there a problem, General?”

“No sir, except, um……half a regiment facing right isn’t going to stop that column coming. Hell, I’m not sure it can even stop that first regiment.”

“Well, it had better stop that first regiment. I think it will. I place my color here.”

“Alright sir, but what about the brigade coming behind that? It will then be unopposed. I could move over my reserve regiment, the 74th Ohio, but even that won’t be enough to stop them, just delay them.”

“Leave the Ohio boys where they are. I expect the 37th Indiana to refuse its flank, and hold on for a few minutes. In fact, if that Confederate brigade starts to flank you, let it. That will just let it be crushed when Beatty hits it in the flank.”

“Beatty is coming up, like now, sir?”

“Yes, Negley’s encouraging them. I expect them to overlap and crush that second Confederate brigade before it can overlap you.”

“Alright sir.” Generals greatly admired Thomas, too, and this was why.

------------------------

“We’re really going to do it, Lieutenant!” John Lewis called.

“Yes, sir,” Randall Napier replied. “We’re already past the damnyankees flank. They refused it a bit, but we can still force it.”

“Right. I think just a few more seconds before we fire.”

It took almost a minute, actually, before the 45th Alabama could align itself against 37th Indiana. When they did, it was discovered that the Alabamians had wheeled too soon, and didn’t actually overlap the Federal position, just matched it.

Be that as it may. The Colonel called the commands. “Alright, boys. Ready!” A pause. “Aim!” The silence was palpable. “Fire!”

368 guns fired in unison, firing 368 bullets at the Indianans. It seemed to Lieutenant Napier that half the Yankee front line dropped.

But the Yankees were tough. A few seconds later he heard exactly the same commands being called out from the opposing line. The voice did not sound particularly northern, it seemed tidewater, Virginia, maybe one of the Carolinas, but certainly not Indiana. The volley was just as good as the Alabamians, and Napier felt a spasm as dozens of men in the front line fell. Some got back up quickly. Others called out for water, or for a tourniquet. A few did not move again.

After each side got in a volley, organization broke down. It was fire at will on both sides, so the battle was one continuous roar. Napier was half deaf within seconds.

Both sides were fighting furiously. Napier had never seen Northerners fight so tough. The Alabamians were determined to destroy the Northern line. But the Indianans were equally dead-set on staying there. It seemed to Napier that the entire battlefield dissolved, and nothing in the world mattered except what was right in from of him. Fire. Load. Aim. Fire again.

He was woken from his reverie by loud cheering along the Confederate line. Deshler’s brigade was marching right behind them. They were not going to support directly, then, but go past the Alabamians and finally turn the Indianans’ flank.

So be it. Anything for victory.

“Sir, we’ve got to pull back!”

“No!” Thomas called. He was now dismounted, fighting amongst the men of the 37th Indiana like a private. He had his pistol out, and had spent most of his ammunition already. Half the line was down. Thomas could see that the Confederates were not much better off.

“But sir, look behind their line!”

Thomas got out his spyglass, reluctantly, and looked. He saw Deshler’s men coming up, finally. He also saw the direction they were marching in.

“So?”

So!? Sir, in about three minutes they’re going to finally flank us!”

“Fine. Let them come. Let them turn towards us. I expect Beatty to hit them on their exposed flank inside of three minutes.”

“Well where is Beatty? I don’t see him, and without him we’re going to be swamped!”

“Look.”

Thomas was right. Just coming over a slight rise were the battle flags of Beatty’s brigade, heading straight for Deshler’s men, and well outflanking them on their left.

Cleburne could see it too. “Damn! I was hoping they couldn’t bring up their reserves so quickly. Somebody, ride up as fast as you can, and tell Deshler to pull back to be in line with Wood. Make a solid line for that second damnyankee brigade to hit. I’ll be damned if I’m giving up this easily! You, Captain! Ride back and double-quick Polk’s brigade, and have it march even further to the left. If we can’t flank the first brigade, we’ll sure as shooting flank the second.”

Polk’s men slowly came into view. They were numerous, and they had the potential to flank even this new Yankee brigade. But they were coming into plain sight of the Federal commander, and if he had any more troops to commit to extending the line, the battle would turn into a slugging match along one long line. Cleburne did not like slugging matches.

------------------------

“Why are we retreating, sir?” Napier asked indignantly.

“We were about to be flanked,” Lewis replied. “See? Look; to our left is a new Yankee brigade. Deshler’s boys would take the brunt of the hit, but they’re retreating too. If we don’t want to end up isolated in a box, we fall back into line with the rest of Wood’s brigade.”

“I don’t like it, sir.”

“Nor do I, much, but it makes sense. Besides, we were already at something like 30% casualties. The men could use a breather.”

Napier didn’t think he was wrong, which was the only thing preventing a retort. It was still infuriating, once the regiment was back in line, to see the rest of Wood’s brigade fighting yankees on their right, and seeing Deshler’s men fighting the new yankees on their left, and sitting there, not firing at all.

“Yeah! That’s what I’m talking about!”

Thomas looked ecstatic as Beatty hit Deshler on the flank. It sent the leading regiment reeling, and the rest of the brigade fell back in line with Wood’s men. Beatty kept his two right-most regiments in reserve, for the moment. They didn’t know if any more Rebels were coming, but it seemed so far that Thomas had control of the flow of the battle.

Within the minute, however, this illusion was dashed. Thomas had moved back from the line, now that the situation was locally contained, and had his spyglass out yet again. Clearly visible marching towards Beatty’s flank was yet another Confederate brigade.

“It looks like a big one too. Five regiments easily.”

His staff around him visibly slumped in their saddles. Five regiments was enough to turn Beatty’s line, and win the battle.

Once more, Thomas proved his mettle in battle.

“We need to act fast. Beatty, I want you to send your two reserve regiments immediately, at half-angles to the main line, to the right. Take a third regiment out of pursuit of Deshler’s men, and send that to the flank too. Sirwell, now is the time to use your reserve regiment, send that to the right also. And will somebody kindly ride as fast as you can over to Colonel Stanley and tell him to send the 11th Michigan over also.”

“That will leave him with 2 regiments in line,” one of Thomas’ aides pointed out. “He’ll be all but a skirmish line then.”

“Well, I’m wagering that Hindman won’t attack within the hour, or perhaps within the whole day, whereas that new brigade will be on our flank in minutes. It looks like they have 5 regiments coming, so I want 5 regiments to extend our line.”

“And if there’s a fourth Rebel brigade behind this one? What then?”

“Then we retreat, being too outnumbered. If there isn’t though, fighting in one long line like this is the best we can do. We have good ground with basic breastworks and plenty of ammunition. Cleburne isn’t about to break through our line anywhere, he can only flank it. We’ve just got to prevent him from doing that.”

The aides were silent. Beatty and Sirwell were silent. “Now move!” Thomas yelled.

-----------------

Cleburne was tracking Polk’s progress with considerable interest. He was also tracking Thomas’ shifting of reserves. Already the first three regiments were in line. Polk was advancing at the double-quick, though, and it looked like his boys could flank this makeshift line before the final two regiments made it.

“Yes,” Cleburne said to himself. “Finally, we will flank them!”

Just then, however, there was a commotion to the right. A horseman was galloping toward Cleburne at breakneck speed. He looked even dirtier and more worn than the average foot soldier. Clearly, this had been a sprint.

He dismounted right in front of Cleburne, and even though he had been riding, was breathing hard. “Sir, message from General Polk, Leonidas Polk, that is. Sir, you are ordered to fall back immediately.”

What!!!?” Cleburne could not believe his ears. “There must be some mistake, Captain.”

“No mistake, sir. Polk is angry as all hell that Hill sent you forward. You’re supposed to be in bed sick, and Hill said that he wasn’t attacking.”

“Which means nothing! Look, son. Five more minutes and I have this line flanked! We can destroy this Yankee division in front of us, push it against the mountains and capture the net. You just ride back to General Polk and tell him that! He clearly doesn’t understand the situation here. Now if Hindman was on our flank…”

“Sir, I am sorry. Truly I am. I do believe that Polk’s knowledge of the situation here is……lacking. But the orders to withdraw are peremptory. He believes there are at least 2 Federal divisions here, and that you are in grave danger.”

“I don’t believe it!”

“Believe it, sir. Here are his written orders.”

Cleburne read them, quite in a state of shock.

Damn! Damn damn damn damn damn!!!! Damn these to Hell and good riddance with them! Polk is…”

“Sir, I strongly suggest you don’t finish that sentence. Polk is angry enough right now to murder someone, and I don’t think he cares who.”

Cleburne was silent.

“Alright. Alright, damn it! Lieutenant! Ride forward and recall Polk’s brigade – my Polk, not your Polk. He’ll cover our withdrawal, as if there’s anything that needs covering. That division isn’t about to pursue.” He breathed heavily. “Alright. We hit a good hit today, boys. I can only pray that we have another good shot tomorrow.”

Wow, this is quite simply a great TL.

I've always been fascinated about a fantasy scenario about Longstreet taking command in the West, but you went and raised the ante by putting Lee there.

So, either Lee becomes an even greater legend or his status as merely a regional general is forever confirmed. I can't wait.

The Army of Northern Virginia is certainly in good hands with Longstreet. He'd be the perfect man to fight the Overland campaign, though Lee probably will be back by then, possibly leaving a hand chosen successor in charge out west.

Oh! why do you have to have such a great talent in spreading out the suspense in each update??!! :D:p Great historical narratives make you realise the import of each decision, and you've definitely got that down...

Subscribed.

@ Herr Frage: Thanks much. And see the next response.

@ lothaw: "ante" ... cool:D I have figured out multiple ways for the TL to go after the equivalent of Chickamauga. They range from Lee killed/captured and the AoT soundly defeated to almost OTL.

One at the other extreme has Lee do an excellent job, so much so that, as I extend the TL into 1864, I see the Confederacy just alive enough to get McClellan elected, and win a negotiated separation (can't really call that a "win" per se...) I think I'll pick that one, just to prove that it's plausible (really, it is plausible), and that the Confederacy can therefore "sort-of-win" even after Gettysburg/Vicksburg.

@ bm79: It's probably just a fluke and/or beginner's luck - first major TL and all....but thanks anyway:)

-----------------

September 10th, 1863 – Evening
Lee and Gordon’s Mill – Georgia

“Four hundred casualties, sir!” Cleburne exclaimed irately. “I sent my men against those works, flanked them twice, God is my witness, and could have destroyed them! Thanks to your order to withdraw, one hundred of my men are lying on the field dead, and it was all we could do to bring back the wounded.”

“Sir,” chimed in Hill, “I have the final casualty lists prepared, and of course losses are the worst in Wood’s and Deshler’s brigades, Lucius Polk was almost untouched. I also figured out the grand map of the battle, and in fact his brigade was on the flank of Negley’s men.”

“On the flank of the two brigades we could see!” retorted Polk. “What else was behind them, we still don’t know that.”

“Sir, we did take a few prisoners. They confirm both that Negley’s was the only division in the area, and that he had only 3 brigades. Everything he had, he threw in.”

“And what of Baird’s division? Surely you also figured out from the prisoners that they were en route, and in fact have by now arrived?”

“As has Buckner’s two divisions! During the battle we had two divisions against their one. Now we have four against their two! It’s still the same advantage. We should be going at it again, at dawn, perhaps even right now!”

“Oh, don’t talk to me, General Hill, about being more aggressive! If you had just sent Cleburne forward when I asked you to, instead of coming in five hours later without warning, we could have crushed them.”

Sir, I was under the impression that Hindman was still going to attack. That was the last thing you told me, before riding ten miles away from the battle!”

“But thanks to your delay, Hindman didn’t attack. He would have gone forward if Cleburne was there earlier to open the attack. My orders specifically said that Hindman was to time his attack on the sound of Cleburne’s.”

“But it would be natural, I think, to assume that if Cleburne was not attacking, there was nothing to time off of. Since Hindman was supposedly still attacking, I may be logical in thinking that your orders had to change!”

“And they did, which means that Cleburne coming in anyway gummed the whole works up, because his attack was no longer timing anything and was unauthorized!”

“You only halted Cleburne’s attack because he was sick. You never said to cancel it. My impression was that if possible I should join in!”

“Your impression should be to follow my orders!”

“I did just that to the letter!

The other men in the room were just watching in silence. This council of war was really playing out as one giant rally of arguments between Generals Hill and Polk. They were acting as surrogates for Cleburne and Hindman, respectively, and each was blaming the other’s division for the day’s losses. That was doubly awkward. Firstly was because Hindman and Cleburne were good friends, both before and during the war, and only Cleburne was present at the conference. Secondly was because of the audience. Generals Breckenridge, Buckner, Walker, Liddell, and Preston were there, besides Cleburne, and of course some of their aides.

Enough!” Everyone turned. The outburst had come from General Buckner.

“What is the use of pointing fingers at this point? What’s done is done, and I think we still have an opportunity here. Cleburne’s attack proved that the Yankees are here in moderate force. My corps is up. With four divisions in line, we still have the advantage. Should we not focus on how best to use it, instead of squabbling?”

“Advantage?” Polk asked. “I don’t see one, General. We have 4 divisions up, true. One of yours will not be able to attack in line with the rest, there’s not enough open ground. Meanwhile, the Yankees will have had all night to entrench and bring up more ammunition.”

“Sir, that field is open, with lines of fire good from both sides. They cannot create a perfect breastwork in one night. Besides, even 2 divisions is not enough men to anchor both sides on the Creek. We can still flank them.”

“Right, Buckner,” Hill said. “Also, I summoned forward Walker’s Corps too, into reserve. If things prove truly difficult, he can throw in two more divisions. That gives us something like a 3:1 advantage.”

“Generals, here we may find ourselves with something of an advantage, true. But campaigns are not decided in one cove. We must be concerned with affairs everywhere. I have a report here from General Forrest with the cavalry, saying that Crittenden is not staying tightly in Chattanooga, but is marching towards Ringgold. He intends clearly to strike us in the rear.”

There was silence as everyone present pondered his words.

“I have Cheatham’s division prepared to delay them, but even his large division cannot stop a whole Yankee corps. We do not have time to destroy Negley’s men, and so must press on southward. Now, I know of our next defensive line, and with Walker and Breckenridge in the lead we should be able to…”

He stopped talking too. Everyone looked towards the doorway. There, standing, tired and worn but with a mean, determined expression, was General Bragg. He tramped into the room slowly, obviously in pain, and sat down.

“Sorry I’m late, Generals. It’s not even that I’m out of it. Just chest pain from where that damned horse fell on me. I’ll tell you, some part of me won’t be sorry when General Lee arrives. I can rest.” Clearly that part was not large. “Now, what happened to our situation since two days ago?”

It took fifteen minutes of explaining to get even the major points across. Bragg was particularly interested about the battle, and about the dispositions of Crittenden’s men, advancing from the north. By the end, even though he was sitting down, his fury was enough to make the meanest man tremble.

You had an opportunity like that and you didn’t destroy Negley’s division!!!???” Bragg sided with Hill over Polk, although he was also disappointed that Cleburne hadn’t ignored Polk’s orders, risking court-martial, in order to win the battle. Clearly, the Army of Tennessee’s command structure was becoming ever-more dysfunctional, with the three highest-ranking Generals hating each other.

“But sir…” Polk began, in an attempt to save face, honor, and perhaps, even, a part of the point.

“But me no buts!” Bragg exclaimed. “The enemy is there and we are going to fight them there. I trust Cheatham can hold off Crittenden for a day or two – I don’t believe that corps is advancing particularly quickly anyway. Meanwhile the damnyankees now have 2 divisions in that Cove. That just makes the prize all the sweeter when we destroy them!”

Most of the men in the room looked happier. Cleburne looked delighted. Polk looked like the devil himself had come to visit.

“Tomorrow, I want Hindman to open the attack. He’ll come south down the road and attack on as broad a front as possible. Flank them if possible. Polk, you head there personally to make sure it happens at daybreak. Buckner, your men are to support to their fullest. Polk has charge of that wing. Cleburne, you attack at the first sound of Hindman’s guns. You flanked them once, try to do it again. Hill, you are authorized to bring up Walker’s men in support, just in case.”

Bragg paused, and thought. “I will ride south to make headquarters at La Fayette. I want to be near Cleburne’s attack. This will give us 6 divisions coming down against 2 of the enemy. By noon I want them crushed!

“Sir, yes sir,” all but one man in the room called out in response.

Polk sat there stony-faced.

Wow, Bragg acting decisively. Who would have imagined?

You really have captured the squabbling and conflict between the southern generals quite well. Well, Lee isn't going to put up with that. :p