The Gentleman in the Blue Box, A Doctor Who Timeline

Doctor Who's Greatest Adventure - Finale
Doctor Who's Greatest Adventure - The Movie - Finale

Down: They’re finished.

York: But only here and now, I suspect. They're still out there, somewhere in the veils of time.

Cushing: You’re quite right. I’m afraid you can’t go home. The Crustaceans have your scent. They’ll pursue you, and neither you nor Miss… Professor Fraser will be safe.

Down: What will we do?

Cushing: Not to worry, I have a safe place, where they cannot reach you.

York: Where?

Cushing: In good time, my friends. In good time.

###​

The Tardis materializes, in a small town, on the side of a road. The three of them exit, looking around. An antique vehicle drives by. Cushing points towards them.

Cushing: Automobiles. I hear that they’ll be all the rage.

York: We’re in the past.

York and Down reach out to hold each other.

Down: What year is it?

Cushing: 1920, by my reckoning. This sad old world will go through many trials I’m afraid. But at least you’ll have each other. You can’t imagine how important that is. I know you’ll do well.

York: Because you did.

Cushing: Yes. Now I must be going.

Cushing moves to enter the Tardis, but as he opens the door, Fraser speaks. He pauses.

Down: Is there anything you can tell us.

Cushing hesitates. He smiles wistfully.

Cushing: Yes. That you will love each other. That you will have a wonderful life together, and children, and grand children, and great grand children, and they will all be wonderful. Treasure it all. Treasure every moment as if it will be your last.

Down: But you’re alone now.

Cushing: (sighs) Time marches on.

He steps inside Tardis which vanishes away, leaving York and Down holding each other.

###​

Montage: York and Down settling down together, marrying, moving into a house. There are children. The Children grow up. As life moves on, York ages. His hair turns gray, he starts to wear glasses. He comes to resemble Cushing more and more.

In the final scene, he sits in a room with his two granddaughters, Jennie Linden and twelve year old Roberta Tovey, both of whom are reading complex scientific tomes. He puts down a comic book –

“How remarkable,” says the Cushing Doctor in the original opening scene of the original movie.

THE END

Last edited:
Postscript
Postscript
You'll have to decide for yourself whether Doctor Who's Greatest Adventure was a hit or a flop back in 1979. I am happy to leave it open to the audience.

The play is done, the players departed from the stage - Milton Subotsky, Terry Nation, Max Rosenberg, Doug Stanley, Roberta Tovey, Peter Cushing, Roberta Tovey, Christopher Lee and Tom Meehan, their parts are done, they all go off to their respective lives.

There is in this timeline, a body of work which does not exist in our world. It's an open question as to what followings it earned, what it's status is in the intricate worlds of fandom and culture, what lore attaches to lost radio serials.
At 120,000 words, this has turned into something of a novel. That's a lot of work to go down the rabbit hole with. I'm not sure what to think of that. On the one hand, there's a certain satisfaction in finishing the job, and finishing it well. This was my third attempt at a Peter Cushing Doctor Who timeline, and I'm happy I finally nailed it.

I think I'm done with Doctor Who. Over the years, I've invested a huge amount of time and creative energy into the Doctor Who Nelvana Timeline, the David Burton New Doctor Timeline and the multifaceted Barbara Benedetti timeline and this one. For what it's worth, the other key timelines can be found here at these links. Feel free to check them out. Let me put it this way - if you liked this one, you will absolutely love these, especially the Benedetti timeline, which contains a bunch of little successor timelines.

I think that all together, they probably come to something like half a million words, incorporating well over a hundred subsidiary stories as I spend hundreds or even thousands (or in one case 12,000) words sketching out the plots of movies, television serials and radio adventures.

If you didn't like this one, well, you may not enjoy the others. But then again, what brought you all the way to the end of this one if you didn't like it?

Personally, I'm a little bemused. That's so much work and creativity, that I could have used to write real stories that might have gone somewhere and gotten me something. What the hell was I doing with my life?

I think maybe this has been worthwhile. That it has allowed me to do things I might normally not have been able to, to explore creativity and production, and all sorts of ideas, ambition, creativity, compromise, inspiration and adaptation, friendship and conflict even sadness and death. In that sense, I guess it was worth it. I chose to do this, and I guess it meant something for me to do it.

My thanks to Ian for providing a forum that allowed me to do this work. And my thanks to him and the mods for allowing me the time to finish it all.

It's time to move on. To anyone who reads this... thank you for joining me on these rides. I hope you enjoyed.

Postscript
You'll have to decide for yourself whether Doctor Who's Greatest Adventure was a hit or a flop back in 1979. I am happy to leave it open to the audience.

The play is done, the players departed from the stage - Milton Subotsky, Terry Nation, Max Rosenberg, Doug Stanley, Roberta Tovey, Peter Cushing, Roberta Tovey, Christopher Lee and Tom Meehan, their parts are done, they all go off to their respective lives.

There is in this timeline, a body of work which does not exist in our world. It's an open question as to what followings it earned, what it's status is in the intricate worlds of fandom and culture, what lore attaches to lost radio serials.
At 120,000 words, this has turned into something of a novel. That's a lot of work to go down the rabbit hole with. I'm not sure what to think of that. On the one hand, there's a certain satisfaction in finishing the job, and finishing it well. This was my third attempt at a Peter Cushing Doctor Who timeline, and I'm happy I finally nailed it.

I think I'm done with Doctor Who. Over the years, I've invested a huge amount of time and creative energy into the Doctor Who Nelvana Timeline, the David Burton New Doctor Timeline and the multifaceted Barbara Benedetti timeline and this one. For what it's worth, the other key timelines can be found here at these links. Feel free to check them out. Let me put it this way - if you liked this one, you will absolutely love these, especially the Benedetti timeline, which contains a bunch of little successor timelines.

I think that all together, they probably come to something like half a million words, incorporating well over a hundred subsidiary stories as I spend hundreds or even thousands (or in one case 12,000) words sketching out the plots of movies, television serials and radio adventures.

If you didn't like this one, well, you may not enjoy the others. But then again, what brought you all the way to the end of this one if you didn't like it?

Personally, I'm a little bemused. That's so much work and creativity, that I could have used to write real stories that might have gone somewhere and gotten me something. What the hell was I doing with my life?

I think maybe this has been worthwhile. That it has allowed me to do things I might normally not have been able to, to explore creativity and production, and all sorts of ideas, ambition, creativity, compromise, inspiration and adaptation, friendship and conflict even sadness and death. In that sense, I guess it was worth it. I chose to do this, and I guess it meant something for me to do it.

My thanks to Ian for providing a forum that allowed me to do this work. And my thanks to him and the mods for allowing me the time to finish it all.

It's time to move on. To anyone who reads this... thank you for joining me on these rides. I hope you enjoyed.
I’d say that it would be a box office success giving that it comes out in 1979

In the final scene, he sits in a room with his two granddaughters, Jennie Linden and twelve year old Roberta Tovey, both of whom are reading complex scientific tomes. He puts down a comic book –

“How remarkable,” says the Cushing Doctor in the original opening scene of the original movie.
Beautiful.

A small update to my endless Doctor Who Alternate histories...

A major timeline is the Barbara Benedetti Doctor. As background, Barbara Benedetti is a real person, a Seattle based actress who actually played the Doctor in four professional level half hour fan films made between 1984-1987. These films were Wrath of Eukor, Visions of Utomu, Pentagon West and Broken Doors. She was one of the first 'unique' fan Doctors, the first professional quality, the first to do a series, and the first woman to play the role.

The timeline follows the chaotic circumstances of the middle to late 80s in Doctor Who, and charts out the chain of events that leaves Barbara Benedetti as the actual 7th Doctor in the midst of a BBC shake up that sees Jon Nathan-Turner and Eric Cartmel departing the show, replaced by Paula Burdon and Peter Grimwade. Under this new trio, Doctor Who lasts until 1991.

Following that I used the timeline to explore a Meddling Monk series by Grant and Naylor, the creators of Red Dwarf, when Craig Charles, the Red Dwarf star gets charged with sexual assault, kidnapping and gang rape (he was actually charged in the 1990s but eventually acquitted). And an earlier and more successful Sarah Jane and K9 series, with two seasons in ITV and two series inAustralia. And then Seven Nights a Cybermen, which chronicled a 1970's series of Doctor Who stage plays starring Trevor Martin, as he confronts Daleks, Cybermen, Ice Warrors, Autons, Sontarans and others.

Anyway, I've returned to that grab bag timeline, this time with Cold War.

This is part of the Benedetti five season continuity. Cold War is a version of Shada, an unfinished abandoned serial. The idea is that years later, a group of fans take it upon themselves to finish the unfinished serial.

All my Who timelines are explorations of film and television production, the sources of inspiration, the way people come together, the compromises that take place that shape the final product, and the way people fail or succeed. Hope you'll check it out.

A small update to my endless Doctor Who Alternate histories...

A major timeline is the Barbara Benedetti Doctor. As background, Barbara Benedetti is a real person, a Seattle based actress who actually played the Doctor in four professional level half hour fan films made between 1984-1987. These films were Wrath of Eukor, Visions of Utomu, Pentagon West and Broken Doors. She was one of the first 'unique' fan Doctors, the first professional quality, the first to do a series, and the first woman to play the role.

The timeline follows the chaotic circumstances of the middle to late 80s in Doctor Who, and charts out the chain of events that leaves Barbara Benedetti as the actual 7th Doctor in the midst of a BBC shake up that sees Jon Nathan-Turner and Eric Cartmel departing the show, replaced by Paula Burdon and Peter Grimwade. Under this new trio, Doctor Who lasts until 1991.

Following that I used the timeline to explore a Meddling Monk series by Grant and Naylor, the creators of Red Dwarf, when Craig Charles, the Red Dwarf star gets charged with sexual assault, kidnapping and gang rape (he was actually charged in the 1990s but eventually acquitted). And an earlier and more successful Sarah Jane and K9 series, with two seasons in ITV and two series inAustralia. And then Seven Nights a Cybermen, which chronicled a 1970's series of Doctor Who stage plays starring Trevor Martin, as he confronts Daleks, Cybermen, Ice Warrors, Autons, Sontarans and others.

Anyway, I've returned to that grab bag timeline, this time with Cold War.

This is part of the Benedetti five season continuity. Cold War is a version of Shada, an unfinished abandoned serial. The idea is that years later, a group of fans take it upon themselves to finish the unfinished serial.

All my Who timelines are explorations of film and television production, the sources of inspiration, the way people come together, the compromises that take place that shape the final product, and the way people fail or succeed. Hope you'll check it out.
I somehow missed this when I read your other Doctor Who stories. I really liked it (despite not liking the OTL Cushing movies; I think you're right that they probably made sense in their time) - the production background feels very true to life as well as being very funny. Thank you!