The Forge of Weyland

Loved the last update from the Dragon. Felt that the single RAF fighter squadron in Holland would be worthy of a Hollywood propaganda film. I think that the Germans are in for a rough couple of days. Whether this is enough to save France in the short term is down to the Dragon.
Probably enough to get a stay of execution when compared to OTL not sure though if it will prevent the fall of France and the low country though.

Last edited:
In OTL Holland surrendered on the 15th, so they are already ahead
Yep

TBH with the Netherlands government I’d be trying to evacuate what and who I can right now to the UK to try and save what I can should the government fall the same for Belgium to now that I think about it since both are under a great deal of stress.

Yep

TBH with the Netherlands government I’d be trying to evacuate what and who I can right now to the UK to try and save what I can should the government fall the same for Belgium to now that I think about it since both are under a great deal of stress.

Believe the Dutch government evacuated very early on historically, and not sure if they wouldn't have done so in this too.

Ramontxo

Donor
There is a quote from David Niven telling his soldiers how lucky they were as they only have to assault that enemy position once, but he was going to have to repeat it hundred of times with Errol Flynn...

May help with maps and pics of OTL otherwise google gives a reasonable picture of a road network, as has been said not all as good as today but will generally follow the same routes.

For H&I fire you don't need spotters, just circular slide rules and good sergeants to work them you wont know what damage is done if any but a 150mm landing by the road every 5-10 minutes and indirect mg fire all the time ( well if they can borrow company of vickers) will tend to close it. there are not that many roads into Sedan and where there are not roads its forested. The French are perfectly capable of reading maps and will have some patrol and air recon effort. they had balloon companies as well as sound flash ranging systems which can pick up all kinds of noises.

So they know whether the roads are, where the water sources are and so on. Horses need water.

movement attrition tax.
Its really that, if you can catch infantry in the open fair enough but in any sort of entrenchment or even lying down effectiveness goes way down for arty. But they need rations, water, replacements, rest and all that and that means men moving the open and as said its hard to dig trenches for trucks and horses and if they are pulled back the formation becomes static for a while.

Errol Flynn with a fake Dutch accent.

Possibly James Mason as well, which would be a lot better.

Dirk Van Den Bogaerde obviously with Audrey Hepburn as the pudgy love interest

Dirk Van Den Bogaerde obviously with Audrey Hepburn as the pudgy love interest
Pudgy, Audrey Hepburn?

1614518250097.png

Last edited:
Yep

All those lovely, glittery, Diamonds and all that lovely Gold that the Dutch had in Rotterdam...

And a few brigades worth of soldiers that later might come in handy in the DEI and other theatres of war.

Surely the USA will have no problems in supplying them with weapons and other necessary material. Specially if these are paid with lovely, glittery, diamonds and lovely gold. The Dutch should be advised not to trust too much what those Brewster salesmen tell them about their fighters, though.

And a few brigades worth of soldiers that later might come in handy in the DEI and other theatres of war.

Surely the USA will have no problems in supplying them with weapons and other necessary material. Specially if these are paid with lovely, glittery, diamonds and lovely gold. The Dutch should be advised not to trust too much what those Brewster salesmen tell them about their fighters, though.
I'd love to see the Japanese to run into Fokker G 1's powered by Bristol Hercules engines or Twin Wasps. Perhaps built in Australia with the help of evacuated Fokker engineers.

You really don't want the Dutch to stay in lovely Holland over the summer, do you? :D

We are preparing for a worst case scenario.

On the other hand, if France holds on it's more than likely that in pure Churchillian fashion the PM will decide to send reinforcements to Holland. If he did so for the Greeks in OTL why not doing the same IITL for the Dutch. Maybe this time he will not lead the reinforcements himself dressed in a picturesque uniform as he did in the previous war in Antwerp though.

Dageraad

Donor
George A. Gordon, ambassador of the USA in the Netherlands, witnessing the bombing of a residential area in the Netherlands next door from the embassy, will no doubt write an interesting account about:

- the tactics and percieved morality of directly targeting the population
- the effectiveness of such tactics
- the resulting anger of the civilian population.

Could have consequences.
And the German command will be feeling very unconfortable,
In the OTL the field commander ordered a precision strike with 25 Stuka's on a strongly held Dutch defence.
He got a terror bombardment by 100 bombers through direct intervention of herr Goring.,
he apologized to the Dutch commander after the Dutch surrender.

Last edited:
With the Netherlands in a better position from an early stage I imagine Queen Wilhelmina will not have been evacuated on the 13th, but I can imagine that Princess Juliana and her family still evacuated in the evening of May 12th. The government itself fled in the evening, but again that would most likely not happen with the somewhat better situation.

This comes from good old wikipedia, but I do have an annoyingly long Dutch history of the war (like 14 volumes) that I could dig into to find the exact times and reasoning