The Foresight War

How about a new alternate history novel? I've already bought the Foresight War :).

Agreed, maybe a continuation of our throwbacks adventures in England. After all there is still Colonialism to deal with, China turning communist, and the US.

Enjoyed the Foresight War, my only beef is the lack of maps! I'm not bad with my European geography but a few would have been nice :D

And the Soviets are out of the Ukraine, Belarus, and Baltics, but still in the Caucasus and Central Asia. I wonder how post-war dynamics would play out, with a much less.... influential.... America. Not to mention the UK and Germany having such head starts.

I thought it was pretty good, but to paraphrase 'What have you written for me recently'.

By the way, informative site.

Thanks for your comments...but I've no plans at the moment for another alternate history novel. TFW took a massive amount of research (I wrote it surrounded by a huge stack of textbooks, war atlases etc) and only WW2 interested me enough to put in that sort of effort.

I wrote TFW because I couldn't stop thinking about the "what ifs" of WW2, and writing it all down was the only way I could get it out of my head! That worked very well, I hardly think about it these days :rolleyes:

Tony, thank you very much but if you wish to be even more shameless(with a third or fourth chapter) we would certainly be understanding.;)

Thanks Louie, but that wouldn't be economic for me to do, as a self-publisher. It would have to be picked up by a big publishing company for that..

I hear you on that :). I would love to see illustrations though, I think you created a damn good "what if ? ". Maybe if you contact one of these illustrators they might help you out for a nominal fee, they seem to enjoy creating ......
-Bader Bus Company http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,16750.0.html
-Maverick
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,13559.0.html

Good luck and I hope a big publisher does pick you up.

The cost involved with illustrations is in publishing the book...I've got my money back (and then some) on The Foresight War, but the cost of publishing an illustrated version would be much higher.

Sprague?

I think I'm going to get the book anyway but . . . does L. Sprague de Camp (author of Lest Darkness Fall) get involved?

I see lots of copies on amazon, I think I'll get a copy soon.

It looks good, and that sample first chapter got me hooked. DAMN YOU!

Now I can't concentrate on my essay! :D

I think I'm going to get the book anyway but . . . does L. Sprague de Camp (author of Lest Darkness Fall) get involved?

No, I didn't put him in.

Pity.

Well . . .

. . . One day not long after the story came out in Unknown, I had a visitor. He was polite enough; “The name’s Montagu, Ewen Montagu,” he said. He had some questions about how I had had the idea for Lest Darkness Fall, which I was glad to answer . . . When I tried to reach him at the embassy, I was told that no such person was employed there, and as I said to Catherine afterwards, “I’ve been talking to a man who never was.”
— Not from Time and Chance by L. Sprague de Camp

Not a bad lead-in for a review, I think.

Hnau

Banned
You got me hooked as well. Guess I have to buy the book!

One question: did the time travelers have any effect on prospective nuclear programs? It seems like Nazi Germany would be able to make significant strides with the nuclear bomb with a little foresight, as well as unfortunately kill Lise Meitner before she crosses the border. Don could have easily given the nuclear program priority as well.

You got me hooked as well. Guess I have to buy the book!

One question: did the time travelers have any effect on prospective nuclear programs? It seems like Nazi Germany would be able to make significant strides with the nuclear bomb with a little foresight, as well as unfortunately kill Lise Meitner before she crosses the border. Don could have easily given the nuclear program priority as well.
Don tries to help but he's no scientist, and it turns out that the technical hurdles to be overcome in making an A-bomb make this still a very slow process.

The German throwback isn't a scientist either, and is anyway wary of giving the Nazis information about nuclear bombs - he is far from committed to the Nazi cause, he just wants them to beat the USSR.