The fate of the Emirate of Afghanistan if 9/11 had never happened.

Hellespont

Banned
I see a lot of topics about a world where 9/11 never happened, but I don't see any answers in particular about the fate of the Emirate of Afghanistan :

Would the Emirate of Afghanistan have finally crushed the Northern Alliance a few weeks/months after the assassination of Massoud? Would the Emirate of Afghanistan have remained forever a pariah state on the international scene? Would the Taliban have gone even further in their social policy and would the Afghans have ended up being totally embroiled in a totalitarian regime?

Well thats actually an interesting question and truth is like you i dont have tha answer but we can assume the state of things wouldnt have continued as they were so maybe.

I see the Northern Alliance still holding out as the border with Tajikistan would means support would come to them. One thing overlooked here is that the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan was under UN sanctions so economically, the country was stagnant in terms of trade.

I think it would remain stable until TTL's 2013, when Mohammad Omar dies from tuberculosis. His cult of personality is so strong that a leadership struggle would break out. Without Omar's leadership, I don't think it'd be too crazy to predict the Taliban breaking apart into warring factions.

Omar might not caught tuberculosis. It is quiet possible that he could live until this day when he would be around 60 - 61 years old, of course assuming that Northern Alliance not defeat Taliban before that. He might had managed to create stable succession system or at least name successor for himself. There is many possibilities.

I see the Northern Alliance still holding out as the border with Tajikistan would means support would come to them. One thing overlooked here is that the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan was under UN sanctions so economically, the country was stagnant in terms of trade.

@Hellespont

Yes the Taliban were stupid enough to attack aid agencies in the first place when they started their "regime" but then the reality of governemnt set in. Well the year 2000 gives you a good idea of what would happened if they continued ruling Afghanistan. Its also interesting how the machinery of state continued to work e.g. an a Taliban airforce, membeers of western parliaments visiting Kabul etc

Here's an excerpt that will give you a good idea

February[edit]​

• February 10 - The hijacking of an Ariana (Afghani airline) Boeing 727 aircraft, which was seized on an internal flight, and forced to fly via Central Asia to Moscow and then on to the UK, ends peacefully at Stansted airport north of London.

March[edit]​

Ismail Khan, a former governor of Herat and leading opponent of the ruling Taliban regime, escapes from prison in Kandahar.

April[edit]​

May[edit]​

June[edit]​

• Early June - The UN calls for immediate international drought relief of around U.S. $67 million to aid over 10 million people affected by severe droughts across Afghanistan.

July[edit]​

• July 1 - Government forces clash with troops loyal to northern mujahideen commander Ahmad Shah Masood around Bagram airbase, just north of Kabul. Both sides claim to have inflicted heavy casualties.
  • July 9 - Mary McMakin, a U.S. aid worker in her 70s who has spent the last 30 years in Afghanistan, is arrested in Kabul on suspicion of espionage. The U.S. government calls the accusations "ridiculous."
  • Mid-July - The Taliban authorities order the UN and foreign aid agencies to dismiss all Afghan women working for them.
  • Mid- to late July 2000 - Kabul is hit by five bomb attacks in two weeks. The Taliban authorities accuse saboteurs of trying to create the impression of anarchy in the capital.
  • Late July - The authorities announce the arrest of Commander Bashir Baghlani, a key Taliban leader in the northern regions, on suspicion of colluding with anti-government forces.
  • July 27 - The Taliban issued a decree banning opium poppy cultivation.[4]
  • July 31 - The Taliban authorities announce that the severe drought affecting much of the country was God's punishment for the people's neglect of their religious beliefs.

My thought it comes down to which group, the NA or the Taliban, makes the better deal with Pakistan. There is a school of strategic thought among the Pakistani leaders that see a friendly cooperative Afghanistan as giving Pakistan strategic military and economic depth. Particularly vs India. If the NA replaces the Taliban in a special relationship they accrue over the long haul multiple advantages.