The Fascist Republic of India: An alternate history of Independent India

Yes
I mean quotes from Vivekananda and others to ferment rebellion. He used have good relations with ramkrishna mission and many formar revolutionaries became monks and Joined the mission. Maybe they can be used as collaborators?
Yes, Bose's secret service, the Bahadurs, will certainly try to rally up the old revolutionaries, including the Ramkrishna mission, former HSRA men and independent operators.
I think your missing a zero here.

Um... I think you must have accidentally added a zero here as the Japanese Army paratroopers were special forces were not that huge.

This is just me being a bit nitpicking but those don't look like Japanese Transport planes...
Corrections made!
Yes those aren't actually Japanese planes. This is a picture of the Tangail Airdrop, which was an Indian airdrop operation on Dhaka in the Indo-Pak War of 1971. The planes used here are a mix of American, Soviet and Canadian models(all developed in ww2) and include Antonov-12s, Fairchild C119s, DHC-4 Caribous, respectively.
Good eye.

Interesting pod where Bose has managed to cause a massive uprising and India's elite are being forced to back or loose all their support.

On the topic of Pakistan, I feel jinnah would see the way the wind is blowing and begin to plot the best way to turn. Indeed it's not the worst environment for it, the Bengal famine so recent means the idea of provinces having a degree of autonomy would be quite popular.

Plus in some ways the awkward bits of their current situation benefits the league. The British indian occupation of iran to supply soviet aid needs the league's support given it's their stronghold plus the idea of border changes could grant them popularity.

After all iranian balochistan was apart of indian administration till 1924. Add in the likelihood that burma will be apart of india well the idea of a super majority is reduced both by the need of unity and the recent additions that could be brought from Iran and Burma.

Am I the only one who got turned off by the how casually the japanese went oh yeah you got it m8 when Bose asked for a million men?

Am I the only one who got turned off by the how casually the japanese went oh yeah you got it m8 when Bose asked for a million men?
Well Tojo seems to be very pragmatic in this story with the cascading strategic defeats in the Pacific and the stalemate in China, I can't really blame him, also wasn't it just 300,000 men that Bose asked for?

I would think that Tojo would be enthusiastic with helping Bose to topple the British Raj and score a massive propaganda victory that the Japanese Empire desperately needs after the recent defeats off the Philippines Sea and the Strategic Bombing campaign of Japan that is scheduled to start by late 1944.

Also if we combine that 300k number with the current IJA force we got half million men, so somewhere around 600k.

raharris1973

Gone Fishin'
Hm, if the Brits are heavily affected by the Indian rebellion that could seriously slow down the Allies' advance in Europe and consequently lead to the Soviet Union conquering much more of Europe before the fronts meet. We may see a fully red Germany and Finland or possibly a red North and Allied South Germany. Interesting stuff Aj chahal, keep at it!

Are the British going to deflate D-Day and beating Hitler and the source of V-2 rockets and subs that can hit Britain to hold on to India? Or stay on task in Europe with the forces gathered there, consolidate where they can in Asia, and build up for later revenge when Hitler is done?

Are the British going to deflate D-Day and beating Hitler and the source of V-2 rockets and subs that can hit Britain to hold on to India? Or stay on task in Europe with the forces gathered there, consolidate where they can in Asia, and build up for later revenge when Hitler is done?
Probably the second option. The safety of the British Isles was always an absolute priority over colonies, even India.

raharris1973

Gone Fishin'
Probably the second option. The safety of the British Isles was always an absolute priority over colonies, even India.

It just seems stupidly inefficient to reallocate assets and plans on a purely reactive basis rather than keep going on with the plans in progress in other theaters than can and must work, and simply find ways and new resources to delay, improvise, and eventually, later if not sooner, come up with some remedies for the areas where you're facing unexpected setbacks.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Then you certainly don't know the level of atrocities which were committed by those invaders. Nankin was nothing compared to that.
I would STRONGLY advise you not to downplay some of the worst war crimes committed in the last couple centuries.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Um, yeah like did you check the list of other foreign invaders that took over India throughout history...

The Japanese will only be in India for just a year and a half at best maybe more if Japan refuses to surrender, now that is an extremely tiny fraction amount of time when compared to the likes of the Mughal Empire to the British East India Company and its successor the British Raj.

It's also been less than a year since the 1943 Bengal famine that has left many in the region resentful of the British and will help the INA to further grow and expand through the subcontinent with the help of the Quit India Movement.

I also seriously don't think that the IJA commanders will allow the army to go rogue against the wishes of their INA allies, the Japanese war planing requires India to rebel and support the IJA invasion from Burma and allow them to live off the land. Warcrimes will be a plenty with Japanese racism being as insane as ever but incidents that do cause outrage will be punished.

I know that things will get bad if the food situation isn't okay enough after British scorch earth and "Denial" operations, the Quit India movement will make things significantly worse for the British if the IJA is able to accomplish the invasion plans before the rainy season begins.

Um... what are you saying that Nankin 2.0 is guaranteed to happen? Who in their right mind would order Nankin 2 when right next to their INA allies who are actively trying to convince their fellow Indians to listen to Bose's speech and join the INA.
I would STRONGLY advise you not to downplay some of the worst war crimes committed in the last couple centuries.

Noted, moderator.
While of course the Mughal Empire and the Islamic rulers before and after them did commit a number of terrible atrocities, I agree that we shouldn't downplay those committed by Imperial Japan in China during the course of the Second Sino-Japanese War.
I would also like to say that the timeline is being written in such a manner that Imperial Japan acknowledges the 'Rape of Nanking' , in addition to the conduct of its men in China, as something that was strategically, if not morally, non-beneficial to their overall war objectives.
The discussion may have unintentionally implied that Nanking was not as bad as tragedies in India. I think all of us can agree that atrocities of all manner are objectively bad.

Outside the timeline scenarios, where characters may deny or downplay such genocides, I think we can all agree that none of us intended to downplay any Japanese ww2 atrocity. If that may have inadvertently happened, then I apologise. We are all here for our shared love of writing and alt history, nothing else🙂

Interesting pod where Bose has managed to cause a massive uprising and India's elite are being forced to back or loose all their support.

On the topic of Pakistan, I feel jinnah would see the way the wind is blowing and begin to plot the best way to turn. Indeed it's not the worst environment for it, the Bengal famine so recent means the idea of provinces having a degree of autonomy would be quite popular.

Plus in some ways the awkward bits of their current situation benefits the league. The British indian occupation of iran to supply soviet aid needs the league's support given it's their stronghold plus the idea of border changes could grant them popularity.

After all iranian balochistan was apart of indian administration till 1924. Add in the likelihood that burma will be apart of india well the idea of a super majority is reduced both by the need of unity and the recent additions that could be brought from Iran and Burma.
Since the muslims are also quite sympathetic to Bose, the clamouring for partition is not too great. Added to that the fact that the Golden temple has been destroyed, the ruling Unionist Party, has made it a rallying point to unite Punjabis(since even the Muslims of Punjab are upset with Governor Glancy). So the League's influence in Punjab is also being eaten into. Bengal is a war zone and the pro-league government there is going to fall soon enough.
Well Tojo seems to be very pragmatic in this story with the cascading strategic defeats in the Pacific and the stalemate in China, I can't really blame him, also wasn't it just 300,000 men that Bose asked for?

I would think that Tojo would be enthusiastic with helping Bose to topple the British Raj and score a massive propaganda victory that the Japanese Empire desperately needs after the recent defeats off the Philippines Sea and the Strategic Bombing campaign of Japan that is scheduled to start by late 1944.

Also if we combine that 300k number with the current IJA force we got half million men, so somewhere around 600k.
The Philippine Sea and strategic bombing has not started yet, although, Japan will increase emphasis on India when it sees the navy start to lose ground, especially after the Philippine Sea debacle.
Churchill wants vengeance upon the Indians, but the narrative of the war in Europe is firmly in USA's hand. So for the allies Germany remains the topmost priority.
Personally I am more interested in Muslim League and reactions of Jinnah.

What is your plan about U. Muthuramalingam Thevar?
They are stuck rn. In OTL they supported Britain to get a piece of India as Pakistan, but now the support for Pakistan is evaporating with the success of Netaji. If they don't support the British, they'll be jailed. If they do, and Bose wins, then the people will come for them.
Jinnah s trying to steer a neutral course and will try to curry favour with whomsoever emerges the winner.
As such, I don't have anything in mind for Thevar, but post-war he can emerge as Netaji's man in the south, over Congress' Rajagopalachari.
What is Mountbatten up to? Still CC of Southeast Asia? He could recruit a few prince state leaders.
He is supreme commander in SE Asia. But there soon might be a change in the Viceroy's office after the disaster in Amritsar.

Noted, moderator.
While of course the Mughal Empire and the Islamic rulers before and after them did commit a number of terrible atrocities, I agree that we shouldn't downplay those committed by Imperial Japan in China during the course of the Second Sino-Japanese War.
I would also like to say that the timeline is being written in such a manner that Imperial Japan acknowledges the 'Rape of Nanking' , in addition to the conduct of its men in China, as something that was strategically, if not morally, non-beneficial to their overall war objectives.
The discussion may have unintentionally implied that Nanking was not as bad as tragedies in India. I think all of us can agree that atrocities of all manner are objectively bad.

Outside the timeline scenarios, where characters may deny or downplay such genocides, I think we can all agree that none of us intended to downplay any Japanese ww2 atrocity. If that may have inadvertently happened, then I apologise. We are all here for our shared love of writing and alt history, nothing else🙂
By wasn't the mughal emire a indian empire even if it come from north. I mean the title of mughle emperor was emperor of india and they were mostly religiously toleraent.

By wasn't the mughal emire a indian empire even if it come from north. I mean the title of mughle emperor was emperor of india and they were mostly religiously toleraent.
That's what we were taugh in our history books but That's far from reality. Only mughal emperor who had any semblance of tolerance was Akbar, rest of them were just tyrants.
The imperial orders referred as "Fermans" of Aurangzeb reveals that he had ordered the destruction of several Ancient Hindu temple the number can amount to hundreds. They even killed several sikh gurus in some of the most brutal manner.
Even the shia sect of Islam wasn't spared they had their mosque destroyed.
During the reign of Jehangir the Jagannath temple of Puri was raided thrice.
Shah Jahan beggared Malwa to build Taj Mahal.

Last edited:

Crazy Boris

Banned
The Mughals were more Afghan/Turko-Mongol than Indian, and as for religious toleration.... it depended a lot on which emperor and which religion