The Failure of England

Early Scotland wasn't 'Scotland' at all though. It was as you say gaelic, firmly in the north. The majority of Scotland's power and most of its population are in the lowlands.
Yeah in times past this wasn't so great a issue due to less people all around and other factors but if/when Scotland developes into a prosperous nation the Northumbrian cultured lowlands will win out.

At Northumbria's height it ruled the lowlands.
That's how so much of 'Scottish culture' is mostly just a variation of northern English.

Probably more accurate to say that Scottish culture is a fusion of different origins, including northern English. Linguistically, it is closer to English, but it would be a mistake to think of the Kingdom of Scots as simply a northern version of Northumbria, and it would also be a mistake to presume that Gaelic culture could not move south, given the right circumstances. After all, it only took a century or so for Anglian culture to take hold in current day Lowland Scotland - it would only take a century or so for it to change back, less in fact, as there were many areas where Gaelic or Old Welsh culture survived for a long time after the Northumbrian takeover.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Early Scottish heirs were created sub-kings of Cumbria IIRC, so . . .

Well, its way outside my period but this is AFTER the unification of England...

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Thande

Donor
Wait, the Republic was a time of religious tolerance? I really need to find out more about Cromwellian England.
Indeed. Which is one reason why I dislike Tony Jones' Puritan World and similar TLs. Everyone seems to think that the English Republic was a theocracy, just because Puritan ideals were politically strong there, but it was arguably the most religiously tolerant state in Europe apart from the Ottoman Empire perhaps.

Indeed. Which is one reason why I dislike Tony Jones' Puritan World and similar TLs. Everyone seems to think that the English Republic was a theocracy, just because Puritan ideals were politically strong there, but it was arguably the most religiously tolerant state in Europe apart from the Ottoman Empire perhaps.

Even more so then the Dutch Republic?

And how do you quantify such a thing?

For everyone except the Papists, but just business as usual there, I fear....

Certainly it was pretty good for dissenters and Jews.