The eagle's left head

Not really. It was all in the cards @Laskaris dealt us before. A hothead, undiplomatic...too much in love with a cerain image, and pressured by the images of his father and uncle...
How was the man undiplomatic and hotheaded? The war with Venice was taking advantage of a rare opportunity when Venice was dogged by all sides. Diplomacy alone isn’t going to let you recover Crete. Please give us Crete without any fighting…..

Last edited:
Hotheaded was the response to Johannes V., making an unnecessary enemy out of him. We see the results now
Ioannes IV was a nobody. Practically a minor regional lord. Anyone(in terms of regional powers) could just fuck him over.Clearly, Ioannes was the arrogant one as he was behaving like he was a big shot when he was just a minor power.The very throne he sits on was also stolen.He literally had to say that he’s the Emperor in a pathetic attempt to assert his authority(Joffrey style), and then harmed a messenger.

As for Venice, it is every Roman’s duty to fuck them over.Timing was great since Venice was getting dog piled by everyone.

Last edited:
If Johannes IV. was a nobody, then Alexandros should be veeeerrrrryyyy quiet

Now, about Johannes V....Alexandros stole from him and demanded the robbery to be legitimized. Not sending an envoy would have been a better choice

He was very quiet. His response to Ioannes IV was very laconic, no military action, no nothing. Just straight up coronation for himself using the regalia the Palaiologos pawned.It probably damaged Ioannes IV’s fragile ego far more than any military action barring an actual taking of Constantinople could
Now, about Johannes V....Alexandros stole from him and demanded the robbery to be legitimized. Not sending an envoy would have been a better choice
Alexandros took something that was never Ioannes’, nor was it ever something Ioannes had the ability to take for himself.Arguably, he even did Ioannes a favour by eliminating the potential usurper for him. If Ioannes is so indignant about people stealing from him, perhaps he should consider fighting the Ottomans who stole far more from him? Ioannes is the classic coward who is too pathetic to bark at ‘outsiders’ but is more than willing to fight those whom he considered to be ‘his people’.

Last edited:
How was the man undiplomatic and hotheaded? The war with Venice was taking advantage of a rare opportunity when Venice was dogged by all sides. Diplomacy alone isn’t going to let you recover Crete. Please give us Crete without any fighting…..
I'd say that he's hot headed in wanting to be king/basileus when he should really have negotiated more, as was his actions in Crete. I'm pretty sure he would have executed as many wars as he could juggle. It'she justified with doing so? Yes.

Alexandros claims descent from the Lascarids and the palailogos (his mom cough), and with the loose succession laws of the ERE he has (some ppl in Anatolia) a better claim to the purple than the current basileus ruling in Constantinople. He also fought the Venetians showing that he should be basileus by deed.

I'd say that he's hot headed in wanting to be king/basileus when he should really have negotiated more, as was his actions in Crete. I'm pretty sure he would have executed as many wars as he could juggle. It'she justified with doing so? Yes.

Alexandros claims descent from the Lascarids and the palailogos (his mom cough), and with the loose succession laws of the ERE he has (some ppl in Anatolia) a better claim to the purple than the current basileus ruling in Constantinople. He also fought the Venetians showing that he should be basileus by deed.
There was nothing worth negotiating with the Palaiologos. He sent someone to negotiate with a minor lord like Ioannes IV, and the latter executed his diplomat. The time for negotiations is over.

As for Crete, what COULD he negotiate without fighting? Please give me Crete without fighting? The Venetian senate wasn’t willing to accept the loss of Crete and the other Greek territories even when he had his navy parked next to Venice. Negotiating is pointless.If you are talking about belligerence , he certainly was belligerent. Then again, he was about just as belligerent as other kings in his era.

Last edited:
Eh, it was about time for the Lascarids to have some setbacks as I don't think they have lost a war yet. Gaining Crete from Venice but losing Rhodes is if anything a win, as the former is larger, more populous and richer.

Eh, it was about time for the Lascarids to have some setbacks as I don't think they have lost a war yet. Gaining Crete from Venice but losing Rhodes is if anything a win, as the former is larger, more populous and richer.
Not to mention, it's far easier to kick out the knights in the future than to have to fight (and win) another war with Venice...

Not to mention, it's far easier to kick out the knights in the future than to have to fight (and win) another war with Venice...
They can just finish them off as soon as the peace with Venice is signed. Venice probably has no intentions of helping the knights if it means getting Crete back, and if they no longer have the will to get Crete back, I don't see helping the Knights to retain Rhodes is the hill the Venetians want to die on. Moreover, unlike the Empire, the Venetians are quite exhausted after fighting a war for its' survival against multiple major powers on different fronts.

Wow I have missed a lot of developments here!

I'm throwing this out there. We could see a precedent here to go for absolute primogeniture here with Andrianne the younger being the 1st basilissa of the West. Till now we only had first born men taking charge but if here she succeeds in getting the crown then we could see a shift. I also support her and the Griphons although that leaves Theodore the 2nd a bit behind. I doubt Andrianne would do anything to her baby brother especially with her mother and grandmother around. The presence of a dying Basileus at the wedding seals the deal in my eyes.

Now about the war. Damn that Peter guys is persistent! And man is Venice giving it all. If I am not mistaken they have gotten nothing for themselves for now. They have Candia but the Dodecanese are to be placed under the Knights more than likely. They have kept everything else outside Crete and Dalmatia so they could push now that they have another victory. I mean really they have only lost 1-2 naval battles mainly in the beginning and the Corfu debacle. With the mainland secure they could invest in more galleys to make some gains.

Sicily on the other hand it really depends on how the parliaments and the regency will proceed. I am surprised there are no internal loans, or maybe there are but not mentioned. I don't know if Agnes will push for continuation for revenge against the killing of Alexandros or even if the communes will be persuaded. We could see something similar to Maria Teresa where she went to the Hungarian parliament with her son and gave a rousing speech which won over the nobles (https://www.habsburger.net/en/chapter/eljen-kiraly-long-live-king-maria-theresa-and-hungary). I have no doubt that if Sicily doubles down Venice is doomed. On the other hand peace and sorting out the succession is more of a priority for the state at least for now.

Wow I have missed a lot of developments here!

I'm throwing this out there. We could see a precedent here to go for absolute primogeniture here with Andrianne the younger being the 1st basilissa of the West. Till now we only had first born men taking charge but if here she succeeds in getting the crown then we could see a shift. I also support her and the Griphons although that leaves Theodore the 2nd a bit behind. I doubt Andrianne would do anything to her baby brother especially with her mother and grandmother around. The presence of a dying Basileus at the wedding seals the deal in my eyes.
That just wouldn’t fly. Adrienne and her husband are just as much unknown quantities as baby Theodore. They are just teenagers themselves without any noticeable achievements or political agenda. They have not the kind of personal appeal with the key stakeholders for them to pull such a powergrab. Even in the good old days of the ERE itself, gals don’t just supersede their brothers, nevertheless in the Latin tradition of agnatic-cognatic primogeniture. Superseding Theodore is flat out asking for trouble.Either you outright kill Theodore in a coup/assassination or he will come back to reclaim what is his if he is allowed to live. That said, i suspect Theodore or any potential progenies of his will perish(babies die all the time) and give way fir Adrienne’s accession.
Now about the war. Damn that Peter guys is persistent! And man is Venice giving it all. If I am not mistaken they have gotten nothing for themselves for now. They have Candia but the Dodecanese are to be placed under the Knights more than likely. They have kept everything else outside Crete and Dalmatia so they could push now that they have another victory. I mean really they have only lost 1-2 naval battles mainly in the beginning and the Corfu debacle. With the mainland secure they could invest in more galleys to make some gains.

Sicily on the other hand it really depends on how the parliaments and the regency will proceed. I am surprised there are no internal loans, or maybe there are but not mentioned. I don't know if Agnes will push for continuation for revenge against the killing of Alexandros or even if the communes will be persuaded. We could see something similar to Maria Teresa where she went to the Hungarian parliament with her son and gave a rousing speech which won over the nobles (https://www.habsburger.net/en/chapter/eljen-kiraly-long-live-king-maria-theresa-and-hungary). I have no doubt that if Sicily doubles down Venice is doomed. On the other hand peace and sorting out the succession is more of a priority for the state at least for now.
Assuming Sicily doesn’t just blow up due to the regency, Venice’s victory at Choggia is probably just delaying the inevitable outcome. Much of their sailors come from Dalmatia and the Greek territories. Mainland Italy itself is also fairly devastated. They will not be able to recover their fleet in terms of personnel. Their finances probably aren’t good either. They have lost massive amounts of territory, already spent a huge sum of treasure, and large parts of their remaining lands are devastated. Their trade is probably severely restricted due to the war as well.

Last edited:
Shocking and unexpected development! I suppose that G. Maniakes would either ruling in stead of his new wife or assuming the regency...
The successor is Theodore II. Or properly speaking Theodore II Doukas Vatatzes Lascaris.

Oh oh... Icarus flew a bit too high and burned his wings.

So, a regency it is.

It's going to be interesting.
Theodoros II is barely two years old, and old Alexios is no longer around, so it's going to be run by Grandma Adrienne and the basilissa Agnes.
Adrienne the elder is 72, notably her OTL counterpart died at around 45... but I'm fond of her and she has had a better life TTL. Agnes is 36 at the moment. Of the other big players Alexios Gryphon is 58, Ioannis Buas 57 his OTL counterpart lived to 89. Alexandros Philanthropenos is 37.
And the war still not over.
Crete is basically conquered, and though Agnes and Adrienne Sr might be flexible on Methone and Euboea, they cannot really abandon Rhodes, Samos and all the other islands they just lost.
As long as the Venetians have a fleet and Candia has not fallen Crete is up in the air despite Greek successes.

Shocking development! The best thing for the Lascarids now would be to offer peace only to the Venetians and ask only for for Crete. Would the Venetians conclude a separate peace with the Lascarids though?
And accept loss of Crete? Nope. The war goes on until either the Sicilians or the Venetians are forced to concede peace.

I think Euboea is majority Lascarid too at this point,
No the Venetian navy broke the siege of Chalkis.
but I think Rhodes would be the main point of contention. The Lascarids can stop their expansion into the Serbs,
They can... then the Serbs killed Alexandros Philanthropenos elder brother and Alexandros is katepano of Greece...

I think that it would be even more shocking for the Sicilians and particularly for the comunes representatives that may be perceived as at least partially responsible of the territorial losses and the many casualties on them but especially from Alexandros' fall in battle due to being refused the necessary funds... Even more if the generalized popular mourning for their fallen Basileus would turn in patriotic furor to 'save their nation' and take revenge on Venice...
One could posit also a split in the popular attitudes between the communes of the old despotate, basically Eastern Sicily and Calabria and more recent additions. Syracuse is part of the despotate since 1282. Palermo for less than 20 years.
On Ioannis GM, as things stand, he is the heir presumptive of the Lascarid realm by virtue of his marriage.
That's correct, he is heir presumptive to Theodore II at the moment.
Alexandros' rushing to see the wedding concluded was very much understandable in this regard. Without his in person sanction, Ioannis place in the line of succession could have been seriously disputed and threatened, which in turn would have made the regency unstable. This gives Agnes a few years of peace, but it all depends on how much loyal Ioannis and Adrienne Jr are.
Also makes for a strong ally at a time it is needed.
@Lascaris
What was young Adrienne’s dowry? Cash? Lands? Enough to make the Gryphons really powerful?If you want the dynatoi not to be formed, the Lascarids better watch out what they give their in laws. At the same time, they probably might not have a lot of choice due to prestige reasons. A royal bride necessitates a royal dowry.
A crown made of eggs. :angel:
Primogeniture is a well established rule in the SICILIAN tradition of politics.That the Lascarids are ruling Sicily to begin with is entirely due to blood relations to Frederick II.
And that he showed up at the proverbial right time...
It is unthinkable for a totally unrelated noble to attempt a powergrab.They aren’t exactly governing with Byzantine tradition.In the latest chapter for example, they had consult with town representatives in the parliament to get taxes. Something that wasn’t done in the actual empire except through the senate, which was a body comprised of aristocrats in the capital instead of town representatives from the provinces.As noted previously, this empire is basically the Norman Kingdom larping as the ERE.
Larping as the Empire of Nikaia which was larping as the Roman empire may be a little been more accurate...
Like the Spanish Inquisition, one does not expect Lascaris' plot twists !
In the immortal words of admiral Shannon Foraker Republic of Haven Navy, a fellow engineer I note... "Surprise!"
The Venetians are winning but it is being a pyrrhic victory at best. They cannot let go of Crete as long as Candia stands. Nor can they exchange Crete for Samos and Ikaria - Rhodes goes to the Hospitallers. Even if they get Chios, Crete plays an important role in the venetian trade network. The Regents will find it difficult to throw Kallergis under the proverbial bus, especially since Alexandros died to liberate Crete and the greek half of the realm has an ideology based on reversing the 1204 frankish rule.
To put it politely it would be politically inconvenient...
At the same time, Rallis have more than enough men to lead a host against Euboea and if the Venetians want to protect their valuable base they will have to keep a squadron there at all times. At the same time, the bill is a large one and it is not as if Ikaria, Samos and Kos are worth the expenditure. John V was impoverised
John V besides personal reasons, could be paid off by the debt he had accumulated from Venice. Now how his ships get paid for a second or third yearif the Venetians do not cough up the cash...
as the Savoyards clearly saw in Constantinople. Lusignan also cannot keep paying his troops for any long period of time - and he cannot just plunder Rhodes that belongs to his allies.
The cost of the army Janus mobilized must have been around 173,000 (costs of cavalry had significantly decreased by then). The same army plus the fleet costs closer to 326,000 at the moment...
The Venetians must be covering the expenses of John and Peter. On top of that, they have launched bigger fleets than OTL Chioggia. So the cost is pretty high.
My estimation is the forced loans at the time of the war of Chioggia were around 600,000 ducats. So for now Venice can fund continuing the war. Longer term... why we shall see what we shall see.
Both sides are bleeding and the Sicilians are in the back foot. However, they are still in a stronger strategic position than the Venetians. But even so, if political instability follows Alexandros' death, they might have lost their will to fight. A truce might take place, but it will be a very short one and the side that recovers first will attack. Or the Venetians attack Otranto and Corfu to realize their centuries-old dream. Such move would rile up the Sicilians though. Or Alexandros Philanthropenos continues the war on his own - not perhaps the most prudent policy but he has the means.
The question is also perception of political weakness. Conveniently the Aragonese are tied down at the moment in the fighting with Castille but Castille is also in the middle of civil war.
How they proceed with the war depends on the domestic reaction within the empire.Are the people galvanised with the death of the emperor to actually throw their full support behind the war, with those who refuse to endorse the taxes seen as traitors?Or are the vultures within the empire plotting to rise up?
Or... both?

The communes provide the armies as well as shown in the earlier battles. As of now, they are probably the ones that provides most of the navy.Similarly, it’s also shown that many of the Norman knights who pre-date the Alexandrian takeover actually transferred their services to Alexandros and his heirs. They mainly got rid of the lords who were above baron level it seems.
The place conveniently did not have all that many knights Frederick with the entirety of Sicily had about 700 at hand and nothing above a baron, the latter dated back all the way to the Norman kings. Alexandros I played exactly on this, the handful of barons who sided with him got included into the inner circle and he granted pronoias instead of knightly fiefs for military service, Which was important because pronoias technically were not hereditary...
I also have to disagree with the notion that the Lascarids weren’t reusing the Norman system that was in place. How did a bunch of soldiers who were too busy fighting the war find people to collect taxes etc except for using the existing bureaucracy?
Of course they used the existing bureaucracy... under Frederick II it was the best in Europe, why ahead of its time and NOT dependent on nobles. Why would Alexandros want to break this when he could and DID take it over.

Honestly, with what I am about to say, I will probably make numerous enemies, but I would prefer that those horses remain where they are, because it would mean avoiding the death and total destruction of the beautiful lagoon city, by Greek fanatics hostile to it ( since in the Hellenic regions of possessions of Syracuse, the ideology that is most popular is to avenge 1204 ( conveniently forgetting that this tragedy did not happen in a vacuum,
Oh sure it did not happen in a vacuum... Latins were attacking the empire since 1081. Well earlier really given the Norman campaigns against south Italy.
Alexandros took something that was never Ioannes’, nor was it ever something Ioannes had the ability to take for himself.Arguably, he even did Ioannes a favour by eliminating the potential usurper for him.
To be exact he was asked to attack Kantakouzenos. Now if Ioannis V thought that anyone after conquering Lesbos on his instigation would then hand it over...
Manpower and money. There is an inconvenient gap in reporting of Venetian revenues we know it was 260,000 ducats in 1344 and 1,100,000 in 1435. In mid 1360s roughly 400,000 may not be inaccurate given the likely cost of the Venetian campaign in the war of Saint Titus.

@Lascaris, I'll quote you now :

Oh sure it did not happen in a vacuum... Latins were attacking the empire since 1081. Well earlier really given the Norman campaigns against south Italy

Ok, but sorry if I play devil's advocate ( literally speaking ) but it's true that the Normans attacked the empire in 1081, but I have a small question, who brought them to Italy first ? ( Oops the same Rhomanoi !, to employ them as low-cost mercenaries ), who was it that frowned upon the policies implemented by Manuel of conciliation with the "Latins" ?, ( answer, the aristocracy and the clergy of Constantinople ) who was it that for centuries ( from the VI to the VIII century ) asked exclusively for money and men and total obedience without ever giving anything in return during his government Italy ? ( again the elite of Constantinople ) even when the situation was desperate for the locals, in short I love the Eastern Roman Empire, but they managed to convince the Italo - Romans to prefer the barbarian government to that of the their "brothers" ( let's ignore the fact that the Romans of the Urbe wanted to kill Narses in the 560s, and chased him with the screaming "death to the Greek !" or the treatment given to various pontiffs, which did not earn many sympathy points for the distant Emperor among in the Italians ) certainly even the adverse propaganda did not help the relations between the two parties ( whether it was that initiated by Bohemond I, or that of the anti-Latin leaflets, which were very common in the last years of Manuel's reign ) and I can go on for a long time, so it can be said that 1204 was the karma that unfortunately revolved towards Byzantium, in practice they shot themselves in the foot so many times that it was impossible to think that some sort of "revenge" could not come, certainly the Venetians and the Crusaders were extremely lucky in taking the city, but the fault was not exclusively them, it was the wrong attitudes of the imperial elite that caused the perfect storm

for the rest really fantastic story, I can't wait to see what you come up with during the regency and the delicate political and war situation around it 😇

Last edited:
@Lascaris, I'll quote you now :

Oh sure it did not happen in a vacuum... Latins were attacking the empire since 1081. Well earlier really given the Norman campaigns against south Italy

Ok, but sorry if I play devil's advocate (literally speaking) but it's true that the Normans attacked the empire in 1081, but I have a small question, who brought them to Italy first? (Oops the same Rhomanoi!),
Melus of Bari who happened to be an enemy of the empire?
who was it that frowned upon the policies implemented by Manuel of conciliation with the "Latins"?, (answer, the aristocracy and the clergy of Constantinople) who was it that for centuries (from the VI to the IX century)
Dunno there seems to me that aristocracy had a few reasons to be distrustful. During Manuel's reign you had a Norman invasion of the empire, allied German crusaders ending up fighting imperial troops to stop their looting, French crusaders planning to attack Constantinople in alliance with the Normans, Raynald of Chatilon attacking and plundering Cyprus, Amalric letting Kontostephanos to fend for himself in the attack in Egypt. Just saying. :angel:
asked exclusively for money and men and total obedience without ever giving anything in return during his government Italy? (again the elite of Constantinople) even when the situation was desperate for the locals, in short I love the Eastern Roman Empire, but they managed to coexist with the Italian Romans to prefer the barbarian government to that of the their "brothers" (let's ignore the fact that the Romans of the city wanted to kill Narses in the 560s, and chased him with the cry "death to the Greek!" or the treatment given to various pontiffs, which did not earn many sympathy points for the distant emperor among the Italians) and I can go on for a long time, so it can be said that 1204 was the karma that unfortunately revolved towards Byzantium
What treatment SHOULD be given to the bishops of Rome? Why any Byzantine emperor or for that matter any other Christian king should care about the pretensions of the pope that he could lord them over? Reformation came for a reason over most of Europe later and one of the primary reasons was no else that a set of monarchs strong enough not to be willing to take papal orders... just like the Byzantine emperor a few centuries earlier.

Melus of Bari who happened to be an enemy of the empire?

Dunno there seems to me that aristocracy had a few reasons to be distrustful. During Manuel's reign you had a Norman invasion of the empire, allied German crusaders ending up fighting imperial troops to stop their looting, French crusaders planning to attack Constantinople in alliance with the Normans, Raynald of Chatilon attacking and plundering Cyprus, Amalric letting Kontostephanos to fend for himself in the attack in Egypt. Just saying. :angel:

What treatment SHOULD be given to the bishops of Rome? Why any Byzantine emperor or for that matter any other Christian king should care about the pretensions of the pope that he could lord them over? Reformation came for a reason over most of Europe later and one of the primary reasons was no else that a set of monarchs strong enough not to be willing to take papal orders... just like the Byzantine emperor a few centuries earlier.

I see that we are on two completely different visions, but at least I hope you agree with me that we disagree on the issue 😂, but perhaps it is my pro-Latin prejudice that speaks ( being Italian 😜 ) and is therefore still slightly embittered with Justinian for the disaster that they were the Greek - Gothic wars, yes in Italy they are ( also ) called in this way, for the rest, it makes me """ angry """ to see how the conflict was so badly managed by Constantinople, so personally if I could choose between 3 options ( WRE, HRE and ERE ) I would always choose the first two 😇 ( if I had been born at the time I would have been a Ghibelline or at most a black Guelph, like Dante ), so I hope you can forgive me if I can't consider Latins as the ONLY guilty ones in this toxic relationship

p.s

However Melo was part of the Lombard elite strongly integrated into the social fabric of Roman Bari, it was only the subsequent revolts caused by the terrible fiscal policies undertaken by the Kathepan John Curcuas and then by the sedation of the revolts by his successor Basil Mesardonite, which forced Melo and others to consider military opposition as a way forward

but I don't want to pursue the discussion any further, because I wouldn't want to derail your TL

Last edited:
Can't seem to be able to get a link to use on the image button :/

I added on to the GIF I created previously (the names of each of the frames are below, along with which ones are new), and had to post to Reddit again due to the size of it (15.5MB). This GIF covers the previous one (Alexandros I & Ioannis I's reigns), along with Theodore I and Alexandros II's reigns.

@Lascaris if you start making reigns shorter, I might need to expand from two leaders reigns to more. Ha!

Enjoy!

YearCommentGIF
1282​
Alexandros' Landfall
1​
1284​
The War of the Sicilian Vespers
1​
1302​
The Treaty of Salerno
1​
1304​
The Year of Ioannis' Expedition East
1​
1305​
The Conquest of Achaea Begins
1​
1306​
The Conquest of Achaea Continues
1​
1308​
The Battle of Mantineia
1​
1310​
The Twilight of Frankokratia
1​
1315​
Mad King' Frederick's War
1​
1316​
The Despotate Upon the Death of Alexandros I
1​
1317​
The Year of Vatatzes' Fury
1​
1318​
Basileus' Betrayal
1​
1321​
Acropolis' Fall
1​
1322​
Cleaning House
1​
1325​
The Conquest of Eastern Sicily
1​
1327​
Into Thessaly
1​
1328​
On the Plains of Golden Grain
1​
1329​
Twilight of the Catalans
1​
1332​
Fall from Grace
1​
1333​
The Conquest of Malta
1​
1336​
Toll the Hounds, Release the Doves
1​
1338​
The Despotate Upon the Death of Ioannis I
1​
1344​
The War of Angevin Aggresion
2​
1345​
On the Defense
2​
1346​
The Fall of the Hospitaller
2​
1347​
Battle of the Imera River
2​
1348​
To Topple a King
2​
1349​
A Dance of Eagles and Wolves
2​
1350​
The Taking of Basilicata
2​
1351​
Withdrawal behind Othrys
2​
1352​
Battle on the Halmyros
2​
1353​
The Truce of Naples
2​
1354​
The Despotate upon the Death of Theodore I
2​
1355​
The Peace of Thessaly
2​
1356​
The Acquisition of Lesbos
2​
1357​
Birth of an Empire
2​
1364​
Cretan Intervention
2​
1365​
Wrath of the Serenissima
2​
1366​
The Empire Upon the Death of Alexandros II
2​

First time using Spoiler so I hope that helped reduce how long this post is!

I see that we are on two completely different visions, but at least I hope you agree with me that we disagree on the issue 😂, but perhaps it is my pro-Latin prejudice that speaks ( being Italian 😜 ) and is therefore still slightly embittered with Justinian for the disaster that they were the Greek - Gothic wars, yes in Italy they are ( also ) called in this way, for the rest, it makes me """ angry """ to see how the conflict was so badly managed by Constantinople, so personally if I could choose between 3 options ( WRE, HRE and ERE ) I would always choose the first two 😇 ( if I had been born at the time I would have been a Ghibelline or at most a black Guelph, like Dante ), so I hope you can forgive me if I can't consider Latins as the ONLY guilty ones in this toxic relationship
I'm known to have quipped that unlike an Italian I can read all the old stuff in Saint Mark... since I can read the half of the stuff written in Greek. :openedeyewink: