The Eagle of the Bosporus

I know what Richard did OTL, but Richard is facing a situation where he doesn't have to worry about Philip (or John, if that's a worry) - how much that will change his behavior is something I can't just look up OTL for.

This is information from a book I am reading about the Third Crusade (The book is called The Crusades: The War For The Holy Land by Thomas Asbridge), it is a useful and informative book with much info about all the crusades (I have just finished the part about the Third Crusade) and their leaders. Respond to this thread with specific questions and I will look through the book and find the info you need.

Answering the quote above, since Richard the Lionheart doesn't have to worry about Phillip in league with John attacking the English territories, he would probably stay in Palestine for longer amounts of time, with an attempt to either lay siege to Jerusalem or try and attack Egypt.

Any questions?

This is information from a book I am reading about the Third Crusade (The book is called The Crusades: The War For The Holy Land by Thomas Asbridge), it is a useful and informative book with much info about all the crusades (I have just finished the part about the Third Crusade) and their leaders. Respond to this thread with specific questions and I will look through the book and find the info you need.

Answering the quote above, since Richard the Lionheart doesn't have to worry about Phillip in league with John attacking the English territories, he would probably stay in Palestine for longer amounts of time, with an attempt to either lay siege to Jerusalem or try and attack Egypt.

Any questions?

Well, the tricky part is what happens when he returns to England. Aquitaine according to someone (whose name escapes me at the moment) on this forum was a thorny place to rule, so I suppose he's going to spend a lot of time there.

Well, the tricky part is what happens when he returns to England. Aquitaine according to someone (whose name escapes me at the moment) on this forum was a thorny place to rule, so I suppose he's going to spend a lot of time there.

Thorny place to rule in what way?

Also, since he had supporters in England at the time, can't he send them there to govern the area?

Too many not-terribly-obedient vassals with castles, if memory serves.

Could a concentrated campaign against the terribly un-obedient vassals bring them into line and show of force? Possibly replace them with obedient and loyal vassals (by assassinations/arrests) do it?

Could a concentrated campaign against the terribly un-obedient vassals bring them into line and show of force? Possibly replace them with obedient and loyal vassals (by assassinations/arrests) do it?

Maybe. It doesn't seem like it would be quick or easy though.

Not that this is a problem for me, as that gives me a good reason to keep Richard busy. :D

Maybe. It doesn't seem like it would be quick or easy though.

Not that this is a problem for me, as that gives me a good reason to keep Richard busy. :D

It wouldn't, unless he can somehow bring them all/most into battle at once and defeat and then capture them. Otherwise, sieges against well prepared castles, probably.

If it helps restarts this/gets you to work on it again, then it will be worth it. :D

Okay, I've been making some tweaks to things on this, so I figured I'd post something to inform the readers on certain affairs:

1206 AD: King Louis VIII of France declares his intention to take Egypt to finish the work begun by the successful Third Crusade nearly twenty years previously.

1207 AD: Death of Richard the Lionhearted, thanks to injuries received while hunting boar. His nephew Arthur takes the throne, but declines to take his uncle's part in Louis's crusade.

1208 AD:
Louis VIII is killed in battle, and the Fourth Crusade dissolves. The throne of France passes to Count Theobald of Champagne.

1210 AD: Despite initial success in the first years of his reign, Valdemar of Denmark is humilatingly defeated by Frederick, King of Germany*, and forced to pledge allegiance to the Emperor in exchange for his release.

* Heir to Henry VI, the Emperor of the western empire.

Okay, I've been making some tweaks to things on this, so I figured I'd post something to inform the readers on certain affairs:

1206 AD: King Louis VIII of France declares his intention to take Egypt to finish the work begun by the successful Third Crusade nearly twenty years previously.

1207 AD: Death of Richard the Lionhearted, thanks to injuries received while hunting boar. His nephew Arthur takes the throne, but declines to take his uncle's part in Louis's crusade.

1208 AD:
Louis VIII is killed in battle, and the Fourth Crusade dissolves. The throne of France passes to Count Theobald of Champagne.

1210 AD: Despite initial success in the first years of his reign, Valdemar of Denmark is humilatingly defeated by Frederick, King of Germany*, and forced to pledge allegiance to the Emperor in exchange for his release.

* Heir to Henry VI, the Emperor of the western empire.

How and where exactly is Louis VIII killed?

How and where exactly is Louis VIII killed?

Egypt, though I'm not familiar enough with 13th century Egypt to name something more precise at this time, but think the route the OTL Fifth Crusade took.

As for how - a young, impetuous king and the vanguard cut off from the majority of the army.