The Eagle Flies! A Julius Caesar Timeline.

Grouchio,

I will gladly try my best to continue this should you decide to move on. And I hope the others in this thread can do the same.
You want to start this up again? Color me surprised. PM me, and JUST MAYBE we can get a working timeline on regular schedule. Hoo boy, trip down memory lane here I go...

EDIT: Any suggestions on how the Roman-Parthian battles will play out will be much appreciated.

Oh, this is so good to let it die, considering today I finally read it all.

My only nitpick so far will be over the Dacian campaign, in the sense, not that it wasn't a bad move at all, but it should have been more logical to subdue Dalmatia and Pannonia first - more near to Italy and more sensible to be base of raids towards the peninsula, after all there were the antechamber for any barbarian invasion directed to Italy).

I guess the war in the east will see various cavalry fights - the Parthians using cataphrats and mounted archers so the Romans has to counter with their cavalry - or adopting the use of more heavy armoured infantry. Probably we could see a large use of turtle formations to allow the enemy cavalry to infringe their attacks. The use of allied archers in the back could be useful for the legions as well.

Oh, this is so good to let it die, considering today I finally read it all.

My only nitpick so far will be over the Dacian campaign, in the sense, not that it wasn't a bad move at all, but it should have been more logical to subdue Dalmatia and Pannonia first - more near to Italy and more sensible to be base of raids towards the peninsula, after all there were the antechamber for any barbarian invasion directed to Italy).

I guess the war in the east will see various cavalry fights - the Parthians using cataphrats and mounted archers so the Romans has to counter with their cavalry - or adopting the use of more heavy armoured infantry. Probably we could see a large use of turtle formations to allow the enemy cavalry to infringe their attacks. The use of allied archers in the back could be useful for the legions as well.

Have any idea how to write that?:p

And before that we also need to cover Octavian and Pinarius' expedition to Judea to support Prince Antigonus' claim to Jerusalem (Yes Herod's reign is getting butterflied, and therefore Christianity)

Have any idea how to write that?:p

Well, Julius for starters has to have reflected over the defeat of Carrhae, so he could have study appropriate countermeasures, training for first his legions.

For second, I am pretty sure he will adopt a slow advance, but allowing him to crush possible sacks of resistance and secure his supply routes. Maybe he could inspire himself to the actions of Alexander and then prepare of consequence. And sending numerous scouts ahead - I think he would be extremely careful to penetrate into the enemy territory, considering also a failure of the campaign will jeopardize all his successes so far while believing this would be the "decisive battle" for Rome.

This is too good to let die, I agree. Caesar's actions would depend on his state of mind IMHO, seeing as the head wound and epilepsy don't always make for a clear head.

I'd be up to help again if I could, and I'm assuming most of everyone involved would say the same. The problem with me is the update length, on the forum they're a digestible size, but to write they're a bit on the huge size, and given how much effort I put into my writing, a simple "this and this happened" doesn't suffice. If I could put out a thousand words, that could probably work, but these things are sprawling. Not to mention the research element, Grouchio is great when it comes to sources, but this is a whole lot of things I am unfamiliar with.

Unfortunately I can only recommend links to resources from now on, and besides that I cannot think of a very interesting successor period to follow the eventual death of Caesar.

Unfortunately I can only recommend links to resources from now on, and besides that I cannot think of a very interesting successor period to follow the eventual death of Caesar.

Didn't you all have a general idea for what was to come, I never saw an outline, but it always seemed like you were working toward a known end.

Didn't you all have a general idea for what was to come, I never saw an outline, but it always seemed like you were working toward a known end.
That's the thing: there is no known end to this timeline, nothing further than the death of Caesar and the succession wars. And instead of trying to reanimate a corpse of an idea I now follow other Roman timelines (like the one about Munda).