The Duke of Wellington... Arthur I of Spain

This is the translated summary of an article recently published in a Spanish magazine about history called Historia de Iberia Vieja (History of Old Iberia):

The history is full of curious anecdotes than, unfortunately, end up in the wastebasket. One of them occurred during the end of the Peninsular War. This was a bizarre move that would result in nothing less than the elevation of the Duke of Wellington to the throne of Spain.

It is well known the role played by the Duke of Wellington (1769-1852) in the expulsion of the Napoleonic troops who had invaded Spain, by commanding British forces who had come to the aid of the Spanish armies in their struggle against Napoleon.

Between 1808 and 1815, Arthur Wellesley became famous fighting against Napoleon. He came to Iberian Peninsula to replace the commander of the British army, John Moore, who had been killed in the battle of La Coruña. He achieved important victories in Portugal and once defeated the French there, he went to Spain, already become lieutenant general, to follow the same victorious way.

In Spain, he besieged Badajoz and forced the surrender of its French garrison in April 1812, he won the Battle of Salamanca on 22 July 1812 and came to Madrid in August 1812. It was at this time that he was awarded with his then famous noble title, as Marquess of Wellington, but despite his new status, he continued waging war with the Spanish armies and garnering new victories, culminating in the Battle of Vitoria in 1813, which involved the expulsion of Spanish territory for the formidable armies of Napoleon.

For their invaluable help, the Duke of Wellington and his troops won the sympathies of the Spanish people, who they considered as decisive allies in their victory against the French invaders. In 1812 the Cortes of Cadiz wanted to recognize this help and spared no praise or honors for whom had commanded the British forces. He was awarded with peerages as important as the Duke of Ciudad Rodrigo, with Greatness of the First Class of Spain for him and his descendants, on January 30, 1812; was appointed Knight Grand Cross of the Military Order of Saint Ferdinand; or the delivery of the Golden Fleece, on August 7, 1812.

He was subsequently appointed General in Chief of all Spanish troops stationed in Iberian Peninsula on 22 September 1812. And if all this were not enough, the Cortes of Cadiz gave him the site and royal possession of El Soto de Roma, in the Vega of Granada, as well as an estate called Las Chanchinas. Even came to place his effigy in the Plaza Mayor of Salamanca along with other great Spanish kings.

And not forgetting the power vacuum existed in Spain after the Abdications of Bayonne (through which both Charles IV and his son Ferdinand VII left the Spanish throne to Napoleon would deliver it to his brother Joseph Bonaparte), due to the high rejection of Spaniards to recognize Joseph Bonaparte as their new king. To fill the power vacuum in the context of spontaneous Spanish insurrection against the French, a series of Provincial Juntas that momentarily assumed sovereignty were organized and, they gave way to the establishment of the Central Junta, when was created in September 1808.

In the absence of a legitimate king, the Central Junta assumed all the sovereign powers, establishing itself as the highest governing body. Based on this authority, it convoked Extraordinary and General Cortes of the Spanish Nation in Cadiz, the true starting of the Spanish revolutionary process. Finally, in January 1810 the Central Junta ceded power to a Regency that took the void left by the Spanish Bourbons.

When Joseph Bonaparte and Napoleon's armies left Spain, the Regency was in the position to provide the country with a new monarch or seek alternative solutions government. Most of the Spanish people wanted to return his former king, Ferdinand VII, whom he was already known popularly as El Deseado (The Desired); so, after the meeting of Cortes in October 1813, Napoleon again recognized as legitimate Spanish king to Ferdinand VII by the Treaty of Valençay, by which the monarch regained his throne and his possessions.

The news of the return of Ferdinand VII was greeted with great joy by the Spanish people, but this story could have been very different due to popular devotion which raised the Duke of Wellington. Amid the maelstrom of honors he received, a sector of the deputies of the Cortes of Cadiz who held the Regency came to seriously consider the possibility of appointing Arthur Wellesley as the new king of Spain.

Not much information on this unique proposal and may be nothing more than a rumor circulated by political cliques. Viable or not that proposal, the truth is that it has reached our days because the idea came to appear in the Spanish press of the time.

To do this, as published, many politicians and military had spoken with General Castaños, personal friend of the Duke of Wellington, to send him as the messenger of this proposal and convince him to accept it. To do this, Castaños apparently asked him about the main obstacle to this possibility (his conversion to Catholicism, because he was member of Anglican Church of Ireland), alluding to a very similar example: the appointment of Jean Bernadotte as heir to the Swedish throne, assuming that throne with the name Charles XIV John of Sweden (Bernadotte had been raised Catholic but, for being the proclaimed heir to the Swedish throne by his predecessor, was to convert the Lutheranist Church of Sweden).

Apparently, Wellington replied that the duty for with a nation was, in his view, something supreme over anything else, and not look like, but a reasonable acquiescence in every man to adopt the religion of a people as long as was a Christian faith when the people called him privacy to put him and his descendants on a throne.

However, Ferdinand VII returned to reign over Spain, restoring absolutism and hampering the arrival of liberalism to the country.

It therefore seems likely that if the circumstances had been more favorable for it (for example, the death of Ferdinand VII and his brothers during their French captivity, or official disqualification of the Bourbon dynasty by the Cortes of Cadiz, without forgetting the possible similar consequences in the Iberian and island domains of Portugal while the Portuguese royal family has been hiding in Brazil), he would have been willing to convert to the Catholic faith if it allowed him to sit on the Spanish throne.

What do you think of this possibility and all its implications about Spain, Europe and America?

He was practicaly a common men he was less noble than napoleon in term of ancienty but I like this idea a lot I think the colony will still separate from the kingdom.

If you kill the main bourbon youd kill both the french napolitan parmean and spanish royal line its quite difficult and it will left france with either conde whith the Orlean or a bonaparte.

Mrstrategy

Banned
I'm not sure the British would let him or the other countries let him become monarch since now Spain and England controlled most of America plus other colonies the Europeans did not want another big power

What about Waterloo [and the Hundred Days if Napoleon won it and all of his campaign there]? Or would the deciding battle against Napoleon's return be assisted from the south? Would Wellesley be the Spanish equivalent of Murat and face discontent?

Could he successfully rule over that nest of vipers? IMO it would be a proper test of all of his abilities, hell he could always get Cochrane to be his first Sea Lord ;).

I'm not sure the British would let him or the other countries let him become monarch since now Spain and England controlled most of America plus other colonies the Europeans did not want another big power

The spanish would never accept Wellington as their king.

And Austria, Russia, Prussia, ... etc, would never accept it.

What do you think of this possibility and all its implications about Spain, Europe and America?

Don't forget the Philippines!

The spanish would never accept Wellington as their king.

And Austria, Russia, Prussia, ... etc, would never accept it.

Never say never, unless you're dealing with the Draka! And never underestimate the realpolitik of the Great Powers.

Though, Arthur's Protestantism will have to go.

No because Bernadotte was chosen by the swedish ruling elite.

And Bernadotte did not plunder and ravage Swede the way Wellington did in Spain.

To be fair, Wellington made specific orders against such behaviour and did what he could to prevent such occurrences from having. Hell, he erected a gallows in one of the towns in Spain the Allied army captured to try and put an end to such things. Even the fact he tried marks him out from many of his contemporaries.

Wouldn't that be Arturo I ?
Yes, in Spanish. But I had translated it into English.

In my opinion, this possibility could occurs if several circumstances happen:
  • The death of Ferdinand VII and the later death of his heir presumptive, his brother Infante Carlos Maria Isidro de Borbon (later "Charles V" for the Carlists), during their French captivity in Valençay, in a short time around 1811-1813. Then the Spanish crown will go to Infante Francisco de Paula de Borbón (b. 1794), only brother of Ferdinand VII in custody of Charles IV and Maria Luisa de Parma, due to his short age (Charles IV, his wife, his younger son, his prime minister Godoy and Godoy's family was then found exile in Rome, housed in the Palazzo Barberini since the summer of 1812).
  • In view of this situation, the Cortes of Cadiz should recognize the legitimacy of Infante Francisco de Paula de Bourbon to the Spanish throne as the Spanish new king by the name of Francis I of Spain -due to the death of Ferdinand VII and his brother Charles V-, but the young prince delivers his dynastic rights to his father Charles IV, generating a large succession conflict because of the refusal of the Cortes of Cadiz to recognize Charles IV again, after Mutiny of Aranjuez and the responsibility of Carlos IV and Godoy at the entrance of the French troops in Spain.
  • During the last months of 1813, Infante Francisco de Paula (Francis I for the Cortes of Cadiz) falls ill unexpectedly and it is expected to soon die. Then Maria Luisa de Parma convinces her husband to adopt his minister Godoy (b. 1767) as their adopted son (this was the true fear of Fernando VII during the last years of the reign of Charles IV and the real reason for his attempts to overthrow his father in 1807-1808), who could inherit the Spanish crown -in their eyes, Godoy would be a puppet in their hands-.
  • In view of prevent the future Spanish king abolishes the legal work created by the Cortes of Cadiz, something that would surely occurs if the Spanish crown fall in the hands of:
    • The absolutist eldest daughter of Carlos IV, Infanta Carlota Joaquina de Bourbon (born 1775), who is the wife of then Prince Regent of Portugal and future John VI of Portugal).
    • The absolutist Napolitan Prince Leopold, Prince of Salerno (born 1790), is the younger son of Ferdinand I of Two Siciles, third son of Charles III and younger brother of Charles IV and who started the Bourbon-Two Siciles line, but he couldn't reign Spain due the treaties forbidding the union of the Spanish and Two Siciles crowns but his dynastic rights could fall in hands of the younger son.
    • The Spanish-Portuguese Infante Sebastian de Borbon (born 1811), who is the only son of Prince Pedro Carlos of Borbon (the only son of Infante Gabriel de Borbón, the fourth son of Charles III of Spain and the most loved by his father) and Maria Teresa, Princess of Beira (the absolutist eldest daughter of John VI of Portugal and Carlota Joaquina de Bourbon; later became the second wife of the Infante Carlos María Isidro de Borbon), who would be the Regent during the minority of age of her son;
  • ... or if the future Spanish king is extremely unpopular for the Spanish people -as it happens with Godoy and Charles IV-, that sector of deputies of the Cortes of Cadiz that supported Wellington's candidacy could have great support in this situation due Wellington's popularity, because he was seen by Spaniards as their liberator, the liberator of Spain.
  • This possibility could succeed if the Cortes of Cadiz obliges Charles IV (b. 1748) to adopt Wellington (b. 1769) as his adopted son and heir of the ill Francis I -in view of the recent example of Charles XIII of Sweden adopting the French general Jean Bernadotte as his adopted son and heir, who reigned with the name of Charles XIV John of Sweden- while vetoes Godoy's adoption by Carlos IV and his wife.
  • In turn, many Portuguese might want the same -they would probably see the Braganza dinasty as worthless cowards to reign in Portugal, to flee to Brazil instead of leading the struggle against Napoleon in Portugal-, causing an unexpected Iberian unification under the throne of Arthur I of Spain, who received the approval of Cortes of Cadiz to be adopted by Carlos IV and be converted to the Catholic faith during the final months of the young Francis I, who would die in spring 1816 at the latest.
    • This could cause that Spain has a better share of the cake at the Congress of Vienna -especially since the Cortes of Cadiz did not send the useless absolutist Pedro Gomez Labrador-, can obtain the Roussillon, Andorra and the French Basque Country and part of Louisiana or French Caribbean islands.
    • Get a better bilateral relationship with Britain that could prevent British interference in unstable Spanish America in exchange of free trade on portions of Spanish America.

What do you think?

Last edited:
No because Bernadotte was chosen by the swedish ruling elite.

And Bernadotte did not plunder and ravage Swede the way Wellington did in Spain.

Yes but I'm saying prior to Bernadotte being brought up as contention everyone would have said "Why would a French marshall who fought Swedish troops with next to no relation to the country take over Sweden, the people and the ruling elite wouldn't want him?" and then they would have said Prussia, Russia and Austria would never have left a French Marshall take over Sweden.

What about Waterloo [and the Hundred Days if Napoleon won it and all of his campaign there]? Or would the deciding battle against Napoleon's return be assisted from the south? Would Wellesley be the Spanish equivalent of Murat and face discontent?

Deleted member 92195

This is the translated summary of an article recently published in a Spanish magazine about history called Historia de Iberia Vieja (History of Old Iberia):

It therefore seems likely that if the circumstances had been more favorable for it (for example, the death of Ferdinand VII and his brothers during their French captivity, or official disqualification of the Bourbon dynasty by the Cortes of Cadiz, without forgetting the possible similar consequences in the Iberian and island domains of Portugal while the Portuguese royal family has been hiding in Brazil), he would have been willing to convert to the Catholic faith if it allowed him to sit on the Spanish throne.

Fantastic find!:D it's hard to find such things of obscurity these days, I congratulate you immensely as a historian. Only because I am in possession of such immence amount of material and thank you for giving it to me. :extremelyhappy: I also have to congratulate you again on your in-depth ideas, you're bloody awesome!!! :'(

I will write more of a topic responce later, this is just my immediate reaction.

Regards.

Not gonna happen. Spain was a barrel of crazy most of the nineteenth century but was pretty loyal to the Borbón dynasty. If Wellington tried to take the throne Spain would start another guerilla war, this time against him. In such a scenario I can see France playing the role of Britain, continuing the peninsular war. I also can't see London or the Prince Regent authorizing such an idea and would likely withdraw their troops if Wellington tried to become Spain's King.

Not gonna happen. Spain was a barrel of crazy most of the nineteenth century but was pretty loyal to the Borbón dynasty. If Wellington tried to take the throne Spain would start another guerilla war, this time against him. In such a scenario I can see France playing the role of Britain, continuing the peninsular war. I also can't see London or the Prince Regent authorizing such an idea and would likely withdraw their troops if Wellington tried to become Spain's King.

So let's say the Borbons just all commit suicide or die in embarrassing ways that discredit them as kings.

So let's say the Borbons just all commit suicide or die in embarrassing ways that discredit them as kings.

Again no. Even after the reigns of Carlos IV and Fernando VII they still supported the Borbóns; if that didn't discredit the dynasty nothing would. Even after Isabel II's reign they still restored her son within five years.