The Crown and the Tomahawk

Here's the first installment of my TL. The British decisively win the War of 1812, and create a Native American Nation under their protectorate. Enjoy and comment!

The Crown and the Tomahawk

August 15th, 1812, Quebec, Lower Canada

Lieutenant General Sir George Prevost was at his desk when a private entered his office.
He snapped to attention “Sir, the Americans have asked for an armistice on the Niagara River, Major General Sheaffe is requesting orders.”
Prevost looked at the map on the wall. He had recently gotten word that the Orders in Council had been revoked by Parliament, but the Americans have yet to ask for peace. “Does he believe an attack in imminent?’
“The Major General believes the Americans do plan to force a crossing, and may use the armistice to build up and reinforce.”
“Tell him to not accept the terms, and to be ready for an attack if it comes. Major General Brock is on his way to Fort George, he will take command when he arrives.”
“Yes sir!” The messenger left the office with his new orders.

August 22nd, 1812, Queenston Heights, Upper Canada

Major General Isaac Brock looked across the river at the American ships on the eastern shore. Smoke rose from a few, many were damaged to some degree. The British bombardment was having a good effect on the American invasion being built up outside Lewiston, New York.
He turned to the messengers standing next to him, “We outnumber the enemy at the moment, if we can force a crossing on their flank, we can stop the invasion before it begins. Send a messenger to Quebec for permission to attack, also prepare ships up river incase we get approval.” Prevost better approve this, with territory in New York, we can bargain with the Americans when they decide to talk peace.
Blue figures rushed back and forth on the beach, Brock couldn’t tell what they were doing, but it was cut short when a mortar round landed near by. Some scattered, but others just fell onto the sand. He smiled to himself, yes everything was going well.

August 29th, 1812, Outside Lewiston, New York

Sand crunched under the bow of the first British ship to come ashore. Isaac Brock was the first to step onto American soil, and peered through the darkness to the other ships crossing the Niagara. So far, the Americans slept in their camp, still unaware of the threat that was uncomfortably close. Brock smiled we’ll break the invasion before it even begins. Troops from the 49th Regiment of Foot moved into the woods on the bank, along with many Mohawk warriors who knew the area. The British force should be ready to attack by sunrise.
Isaac moved into the woods, and fell behind Capitan John Norton, who was leading the Mohawk warriors. “Take your men around the American camp, wait till they break, then wipe them out. Stay in the woods until they panic, then charge. We’ll crush them between our attacks.” Capitan Norton nodded and spoke to the Mohawk in their own tongue. Soon the Natives had disappeared into the dark forest.
Taking his place with his men just inside the forest, he prepared for the attack. Looking to his left, Isaac saw the crew loading the Grasshopper cannon; its firepower would be welcome in the coming battle.
Just as the sun came up over Lewiston Heights, the first shots rang out. American militia rushed out of their tents, trying to load their weapons as they ran to what little cover there was. Brock could see an officer trying to get the troops in line outside the camp, it seemed he was about to rally the Americans when the first shots rang out from the far side of the camp. The officer turned to find the source of the noise, when his body jerked and crumpled to the ground. His aide rushed to his side, but Brock could tell he was mortally wounded.
This was the signal he was looking for, “CHARGE!” Major General Brock burst from the tree line with his force right behind him. British regulars and militia rushed the American line, which broke quickly in the face of the trained troops. They retreated…right into the waiting Mohawk.

Later that day

Brock looked across the Niagara River back towards Queenston, the river was filled with British and captured American ships moving the army across the river into Lewiston. A column of American prisoners marched under guard down to the river. Reports from them said that the commanding officer in the region, Major General Stephen Van Rensselaer, had been the one killed in the battle, and that a Brigadier General stationed in Buffalo was now the American commander of the Niagara Frontier.
Prevost had ordered Brock to occupy Northern New York, and gave him permission to engage the enemy when needed. High Command wanted a quick victory on this frontier, then fortify and defend their gains. Brock hoped he would be transferred back to the Detroit frontier, where Tecumseh was doing his best to defeat the Americans in the Indiana and Michigan Territories. Maybe if he succeeds, the king will grant the Natives the land they promised

Last edited:
Nice I look forward to following this. A war of 1812 where Native Americans don't get the short stick, and where the British (more importantly the Canadians) get something good out of it.

I went with a timeline for the rest of the war, so here's the alternate war of 1812

War of 1812 Timeline
· September 3rd, 1812-Combined Native army burns and sacks Fort Harrison, Zachary Taylor is among those killed.
· September 5th, 1812-Chief Winamac’s forces lay siege to Fort Wayne
· September 6th, 1812-Tecumseh’s army moves south from Detroit to reinforce Winamac
· September 7th, 1812-Isaac Brock’s force marches to Buffalo, New York and defeat Alexander Smyth’s force of 1,700 Regular Infantry at the Battle of Buffalo Creek and occupy the town
· September 10th, 1812-Combined native force succeeds in taking and burning Fort Wayne
· September 12th, 1812-Harrison’s relief force is defeated at the ruins of Fort Wayne by Tecumseh’s force of 1000 warriors and 140 British Regulars
· September 13th, 1812-Colonel William Russell’s force of local militia and Regulars defeat the Combined Native force south of Fort Harrison. Chief Stone Eater is killed in the battle along with 18 Natives.
· September 15th, 1812-American forces under Alexander Smyth Defeat the British at the Second Battle of Buffalo Creek. Brock’s Forces pull back to Lewiston.
· October 10th- 13th, 1812- After minor skirmishes outside Lewiston, Brock moves his force of 2,000 regulars, 600 militia, and 300 native allies to attack Fort Niagara. Smyth, fearing another attack on Buffalo does not attack the British rear until the 12th, the Canadian militia stalled the American advance. The Provincial Marine provided fire from Lake Ontario on both the fort and Smyths army. On the 13th, Smyth’s forces broke the siege, allowing the forces to retreat and burn the fort. British Casualties were 143 killed, 206 wounded. American Casualties were 74 killed, 300 wounded, 100 taken prisoner.
· December 17th-18th, 1812-Battle of the Mississinewa considered indecisive, American forces attacked a Miami village taking 76 prisoners. A counter attack the following day freed some of the prisoners, but American forces got word that Tecumseh was nearby with a sizeable force. John P. Campbell fell back to Fort Greenville, by the time they returned to the fort on the 28th, over 300 suffered from frostbite
· January 22nd, 1813-Battle of Frenchtown ends in a decisive British victory, James Winchester’s plan to retake Detroit fails and he retreats into Ohio and builds Fort Meigs. River Raisin Massacre ends in the death of at least 68 American wounded.
· January 31st, 1813-Peace talks begin between America and Britain in Havana, Spanish Cuba. One of the terms of peace is an independent native state in the great lakes region.
· February 10th, 1813-With Fort Niagara occupied and Smyth’s army retreated to Rochester, New York, Lieutenant General Isaac Brock transferred to the Detroit Frontier. Lieutenant General Gordon Drummond takes control of the forces in New York.
· February 20th-21st, 1813-Drummond leads a force of his men south, burning Buffalo and Black Rock, and destroying the American fleet at Black Rock.
· March 14th, 1813-Henry Proctor leads an attack on Presque Isle with the additional forces sent with Brock. The British force of 600 regulars, 450 militia, and 300 Natives under Joseph Lenar defeated the American force and burned the six ships and captured their cannons.
· March 20th- 22nd, 1813- Lieutenant General Isaac Brock and Tecumseh lead an army of 1,500 Natives, 700 militia, and 200 regulars in an attack on Fort Meigs. The initial attack fails, and the British begin to besiege the fort. On the 22nd, Proctors forces reach the siege line with their newly acquired cannons and pound the fort until its surrender.
· April 1st, 1813- Combined British and Native force attacks and burns Vincennes, the capital of the Indiana Territory, a force of 450 militia and 365 regulars under governor Harrison tried to defend the town, but retreated when British cannon fire started to burn the town.
· April 3rd, 1813- Governor Harrison asks for an armistice on the Detroit Frontier.
· April 5th, 1813- Drummond moves his forces to just outside Rochester and in the famed “Battle of Genesee River” Smyth calls for an armistice before an attack even begins.
· April 7th, 1813-Lieutenant General Prevost agrees to the terms of both armistices, other than small skirmishes in Lower Canada and Maine, fighting stalls.
· April 18th, 1813- The Treaty of Havana is signed ending the War of 1812. The treaty pulls British troops out of New York. America is forced to recognize the British Prectorate native state, named Mishigama (Ojibwa name for the region) consisting of the Michigan, Illinois, and Indiana Territories. Also Britain stops impressing sailors from the US Navy, and ships bound for Europe must stop at a British port to be inspected, or be inspected by the Royal Navy.

Last edited:
MadMc

Good to see this. I must admit that for a British victory I was thinking of a longer rather than a shorter war so it makes an interesting change.

Too rusty of the details to know about the accuracy of the actual combat but a few problems with the peace treaty.

a) I can't see it being at Ghent. OTL that was possible because it was late 1814, Napoleon had been deposed and Europe was at peace. Unless the Napoleonic empire has suffered a drastic collapse, in April 13 Ghent is still French territory and not suitable neutral ground for peace negotiations. [Mind you not sure what would be. Possibly somewhere in the Spanish Americas perhaps?].

b) Part of the reason why the conflict went so well for Britain despite the large disparity in numbers was that New England opposed the conflict. The states there basically refused to fight against Britain and continued to trade with Canada. Amongst other things this enabled Canadian forces to be moved from Nova Scotia and New Brunswick to help in the defence of Canada. As such I think it would be a bad move for the one area of a US state to be transferred to be from New England. There were border disputes and it might have happened, people, especially political and military leaders are often less than far-sighted but I don't know if this would have occurred. Apart from anything else Britain historically offered fairly generous terms to the US and TTL we're still fight Napoleon so the incentive is even higher for a moderate peace. Taking the Indian territories is logical as Britain and her allies control them and the US has no real settlement in them but annexing part of a friendly state doesn't seem that wise.

c) You might have the US recognising the Indian territory as a British protectorate. I think they were deeply hostile to the idea of recognising any Indian tribe or organisation as an independent power and potentially this could be troublesome for them elsewhere so I suspect its unlikely.

d) What economic restrictions? As far as I'm aware, although I could be wrong, the only ones were that all good intended for Europe had to be inspected and docked at British ports 1st. This was Britain's counter-blockage, in answer to Napoleon's Continental System. As such Britain couldn't afford to give the US a special exemption from this.

e) In terms of impressed sailors this would probably be rather difficult given the communications of the time and the disputed nature of many of the sailors. For instance a good number were British sailors who had deserted and moved to the US then got picked up by the RN. Since I think both powers thought at the time of nationality as a permanent thing i.e. if you were born a citizen of one country you stayed that even if you moved to another Britain couldn't really concede on such cases and it would be very difficult to identify genuine US sailors who weren't originally from Britain. [Since the sailors had a vested interest in claiming to be American and the ships officers had a similar interest in finding evidence they had been British].

f) What, no annexation of Louisiana, burning of Washington, New York and Baltimore, establishment of a New England Confederation. What kind of milksop British victory is this.:p:D

Serious, other than the last point, I hope that does sound too much like a total demolition of your peace terms.

Looking forward to seeing where you take things from here. As I said, expecting a considerably longer conflict so this sets up some interesting butterflies, not to mention a significant possible future problem for the US. [Maine was established as a separate northern states in a couple of years to maintain the balance between free and slave holding states. Later on the expansion westward saw both blocs increased. The peace treaty is going to deny the US at least 3 free states and make settlement of others more difficult].

Are you going to be mainly concerned with the development of the Indian state or going to include details on matters in the US, British North America and elsewhere? Going to be interesting to see how Anglo-American relations go.

Thanks

Steve

PS subscribing.

August 22nd, 1812, Queenston Heights, Upper Canada
He turned to the messengers standing next to him, “We outnumber the enemy at the moment, if we can force a crossing on their flank, we can stop the invasion before it begins. Send a messenger to Quebec for permission to attack, also prepare ships up river incase we get approval.”...

August 29th, 1812, Outside Lewiston, New York

Sand crunched under the bow of the first British ship to come ashore.
... along with many Mohawk riflemen who knew this area. The British force should be ready to attack by sunrise.

Communication time

On August 22 he sends a note to Quebec. It is carried there, a decision is made, the answer returned, and he prepares an attack - all within 7 days? I'm not saying it's impossible, but... Let's see.

Queenston - Quebec is ~400 miles (as the crow flies). If the message needs to get there in 3 days, that's 72 hours, or at least 5 miles an hour (for 24 hours a day). ??? I guess I AM saying that's impossible.

Mohawk Riflemen
Why riflemen? I believe that what the natives were used to using were simply muskets, they would quite possibly not be able to make use of rifles. Rifles in this time period were only used by specialized rifle units.

MadMc

Good to see this. I must admit that for a British victory I was thinking of a longer rather than a shorter war so it makes an interesting change.

Too rusty of the details to know about the accuracy of the actual combat but a few problems with the peace treaty.

a) I can't see it being at Ghent. OTL that was possible because it was late 1814, Napoleon had been deposed and Europe was at peace. Unless the Napoleonic empire has suffered a drastic collapse, in April 13 Ghent is still French territory and not suitable neutral ground for peace negotiations. [Mind you not sure what would be. Possibly somewhere in the Spanish Americas perhaps?].

b) Part of the reason why the conflict went so well for Britain despite the large disparity in numbers was that New England opposed the conflict. The states there basically refused to fight against Britain and continued to trade with Canada. Amongst other things this enabled Canadian forces to be moved from Nova Scotia and New Brunswick to help in the defence of Canada. As such I think it would be a bad move for the one area of a US state to be transferred to be from New England. There were border disputes and it might have happened, people, especially political and military leaders are often less than far-sighted but I don't know if this would have occurred. Apart from anything else Britain historically offered fairly generous terms to the US and TTL we're still fight Napoleon so the incentive is even higher for a moderate peace. Taking the Indian territories is logical as Britain and her allies control them and the US has no real settlement in them but annexing part of a friendly state doesn't seem that wise.

c) You might have the US recognising the Indian territory as a British protectorate. I think they were deeply hostile to the idea of recognising any Indian tribe or organisation as an independent power and potentially this could be troublesome for them elsewhere so I suspect its unlikely.

d) What economic restrictions? As far as I'm aware, although I could be wrong, the only ones were that all good intended for Europe had to be inspected and docked at British ports 1st. This was Britain's counter-blockage, in answer to Napoleon's Continental System. As such Britain couldn't afford to give the US a special exemption from this.

e) In terms of impressed sailors this would probably be rather difficult given the communications of the time and the disputed nature of many of the sailors. For instance a good number were British sailors who had deserted and moved to the US then got picked up by the RN. Since I think both powers thought at the time of nationality as a permanent thing i.e. if you were born a citizen of one country you stayed that even if you moved to another Britain couldn't really concede on such cases and it would be very difficult to identify genuine US sailors who weren't originally from Britain. [Since the sailors had a vested interest in claiming to be American and the ships officers had a similar interest in finding evidence they had been British].

f) What, no annexation of Louisiana, burning of Washington, New York and Baltimore, establishment of a New England Confederation. What kind of milksop British victory is this.:p:D

Serious, other than the last point, I hope that does sound too much like a total demolition of your peace terms.

Looking forward to seeing where you take things from here. As I said, expecting a considerably longer conflict so this sets up some interesting butterflies, not to mention a significant possible future problem for the US. [Maine was established as a separate northern states in a couple of years to maintain the balance between free and slave holding states. Later on the expansion westward saw both blocs increased. The peace treaty is going to deny the US at least 3 free states and make settlement of others more difficult].

Are you going to be mainly concerned with the development of the Indian state or going to include details on matters in the US, British North America and elsewhere? Going to be interesting to see how Anglo-American relations go.

Thanks

Steve

PS subscribing.

Some of the battles are actually the same, or same battles with different outcomes because of more availible troops ect. With the US Eire fleet destroyed at presque isle would make both Ontario and Eire completly British, the only reason the war was able to keep goin in OTL was the US control of the lakes cutting off British supplies

a. I only put it there because i thought it would work, i think you're right, somewhere in spanish america would be good. I orginally had it in London, but decided against it.

b. that makes sense, I'll change that.

c. I was gonna have it as a prectorate, but i couldn't think of the right word when I wrote it.

d. I was using wiki for information, and It talked about the British actually tryin to stop trade between US and France, or I misread it

e. ok I think i'll change it to stoping of seizing sailors, because the war with Francewould still be going on at the end of the war

f. lol the invasions of baltimore, washington, and new orleans occured only because the war with France had ended and troops were made availible for the Invasions.

I know maine was set up later, but Northern Mass. didn't sound right and I didn't know what it was called. the slave state problem will come up in the timeline, and I will be keepin an eye on the US and Britain.

Dathi,
It took Brock at most 6 days to reach Queenston from Detroit, there were rivers and horses to transport people across the frontier

I just called them rifleman

Last edited:
Dathi,
It took Brock at most 6 days to reach Queenston from Detroit, there were rivers and horses to transport people across the frontier

I just called them rifleman
Err... but you wrote that on 22 August he requests permission from QUEBEC city, some 400 miles away. And undertakes his operation on 29 August. There isn't time for a message to get there and back in time.

Retconning it so he doesn't ask permission, just hopes the 'fait accompli' will be accepted would work, I think.

I know maine was set up later, but Northern Mass. didn't sound right and I didn't know what it was called. the slave state problem will come up in the timeline, and I will be keepin an eye on the US and Britain.

MadMc

Just to clarify. I wasn't querying the name. Not sure what it was called either. Just mentioning that one interesting effect on the war and US territorial losses would be the effect on the free-slave state balance and how their going to adjust to the changing circumstances. Didn't mean to imply that the loss of northern Maine would affect this. Sorry about any confusion I might have caused.

Look forward to seeing more.

Thanks

Steve

MadMc

Just to clarify. I wasn't querying the name. Not sure what it was called either. Just mentioning that one interesting effect on the war and US territorial losses would be the effect on the free-slave state balance and how their going to adjust to the changing circumstances. Didn't mean to imply that the loss of northern Maine would affect this. Sorry about any confusion I might have caused.

Look forward to seeing more.

Thanks

Steve

no there wasn't confusion that was two different statements. I was talkin about loosing the territories that would become free states to the natives

Here's a map I made of North America at the end of the war of 1812

IAM1.png

June 3rd, 1814FortBrock (Formerly Detroit), Mishigama

Tecumseh sat in a large room, filled with delegates from the thirty-two nations that helped him form the country they were now creating a constitution for. Among the crowd of Indians were the white faces of British delegates, among them Isaac Brock, to help Tecumseh’s Confederation form a stable government. The government was to be formed based on Canadian and British examples.
There had been arguments before, but none so heated as this one.
“You will lead our people to destruction. We must not follow the white man!” Tenskwatawa yelled across the room at his brother. Some of the delegates nodded along.
“The British are our allies; they will help us become strong. We need their help to stop the Yankee from destroying our people!” A lot more agreed with him, which comforted him.
“This will make us no different from the white man, you have become their dog!”
“If you leave this congress, you will just prove to the Yankees that we are just savages to be exterminated. We must be strong and united. If we break, the American army will swallow us up and kill us all!” Tecumseh smiled to the crowd roaring and applauding.
“We denounce this congress!” Tenskwatawa rose and left the room, along with three of the delegates.
Brock leaned over to Tecumseh, “Don’t worry he’ll come to his senses.”
Tecumseh frowned, “I hope you’re right…”

June 3rd, 1814FortBrock (Formerly Detroit), Mishigama

Tecumseh sat in a large room, filled with delegates from the thirty-two nations that helped him form the country they were now creating a constitution for. Among the crowd of Indians were the white faces of British delegates, among them Isaac Brock, to help Tecumseh’s Confederation form a stable government. The government was to be formed based on Canadian and British examples.
There had been arguments before, but none so heated as this one.
“You will lead our people to destruction. We must not follow the white man!” Tenskwatawa yelled across the room at his brother. Some of the delegates nodded along.
“The British are our allies; they will help us become strong. We need their help to stop the Yankee from destroying our people!” A lot more agreed with him, which comforted him.
“This will make us no different from the white man, you have become their dog!”
“If you leave this congress, you will just prove to the Yankees that we are just savages to be exterminated. We must be strong and united. If we break, the American army will swallow us up and kill us all!” Tecumseh smiled to the crowd roaring and applauding.
“We denounce this congress!” Tenskwatawa rose and left the room, along with three of the delegates.
Brock leaned over to Tecumseh, “Don’t worry he’ll come to his senses.”
Tecumseh frowned, “I hope you’re right…”

MadMc

Tecumseh is in a very difficult position. He needs the British far more than they need him, at least in the short to medium term. Also with the racism pretty rampant at the time there will be a tendency to discount the Indians. At the same time he's right. If he doesn't have British support the Americans will overrun his people. Both because the land they own is too valuable and because they will want revenge for their defeat.

I think Brock historically was a supporter of
Tecumseh and his aims as a important buffer against the US. Hopefully with his support the Indians can have the security they need against both the US and any from the British side looking for short term gain. Going to be interesting seeing what society develops however,

One other question in the not too distant future. The southern tribes, Cherokee, Choctaw etc are likely to be thrown off their lands as they were histroically. However then they were expelled to the distant and at the time lowly valued 'Indian Territory'.Now this is out of reach as foreign territory. What will happen to them and where will they be driven to. If the US tries forcing them out of American territory might
Tecumseh welcome the refugees? Which would cause internal stress but might boost the Indian strength, both in numbers and in knowledge and ability perhaps.

Steve

MadMc

Tecumseh is in a very difficult position. He needs the British far more than they need him, at least in the short to medium term. Also with the racism pretty rampant at the time there will be a tendency to discount the Indians. At the same time he's right. If he doesn't have British support the Americans will overrun his people. Both because the land they own is too valuable and because they will want revenge for their defeat.

I think Brock historically was a supporter of Tecumseh and his aims as a important buffer against the US. Hopefully with his support the Indians can have the security they need against both the US and any from the British side looking for short term gain. Going to be interesting seeing what society develops however,

One other question in the not too distant future. The southern tribes, Cherokee, Choctaw etc are likely to be thrown off their lands as they were histroically. However then they were expelled to the distant and at the time lowly valued 'Indian Territory'.Now this is out of reach as foreign territory. What will happen to them and where will they be driven to. If the US tries forcing them out of American territory might Tecumseh welcome the refugees? Which would cause internal stress but might boost the Indian strength, both in numbers and in knowledge and ability perhaps.

Steve

I was thinkin along the same lines. they would defo welcome refugees, which maybe would help relations between america and mishigama in the future. I could see internal stress being VERY likely in the near future for the nation. but would help boost knowledge and numbers in the long run

I went with a timeline for the rest of the war, so here's the alternate war of 1812

War of 1812 Timeline
· September 3rd, 1812-Combined Native army burns and sacks Fort Harrison, Zachary Taylor is among those killed.
· September 5th, 1812-Chief Winamac’s forces lay siege to Fort Wayne
· September 6th, 1812-Tecumseh’s army moves south from Detroit to reinforce Winamac
· September 7th, 1812-Isaac Brock’s force marches to Buffalo, New York and defeat Alexander Smyth’s force of 1,700 Regular Infantry at the Battle of Buffalo Creek and occupy the town
· September 10th, 1812-Combined native force succeeds in taking and burning Fort Wayne
· September 12th, 1812-Harrison’s relief force is defeated at the ruins of Fort Wayne by Tecumseh’s force of 1000 warriors and 140 British Regulars
· September 13th, 1812-Colonel William Russell’s force of local militia and Regulars defeat the Combined Native force south of Fort Harrison. Chief Stone Eater is killed in the battle along with 18 Natives.
· September 15th, 1812-American forces under Alexander Smyth Defeat the British at the Second Battle of Buffalo Creek. Brock’s Forces pull back to Lewiston.
· October 10th- 13th, 1812- After minor skirmishes outside Lewiston, Brock moves his force of 2,000 regulars, 600 militia, and 300 native allies to attack Fort Niagara. Smyth, fearing another attack on Buffalo does not attack the British rear until the 12th, the Canadian militia stalled the American advance. The Provincial Marine provided fire from Lake Ontario on both the fort and Smyths army. On the 13th, Smyth’s forces broke the siege, allowing the forces to retreat and burn the fort. British Casualties were 143 killed, 206 wounded. American Casualties were 74 killed, 300 wounded, 100 taken prisoner.
· December 17th-18th, 1812-Battle of the Mississinewa considered indecisive, American forces attacked a Miami village taking 76 prisoners. A counter attack the following day freed some of the prisoners, but American forces got word that Tecumseh was nearby with a sizeable force. John P. Campbell fell back to Fort Greenville, by the time they returned to the fort on the 28th, over 300 suffered from frostbite
· January 22nd, 1813-Battle of Frenchtown ends in a decisive British victory, James Winchester’s plan to retake Detroit fails and he retreats into Ohio and builds Fort Meigs. River Raisin Massacre ends in the death of at least 68 American wounded.
· January 31st, 1813-Peace talks begin between America and Britain in Havana, Spanish Cuba. One of the terms of peace is an independent native state in the great lakes region.
· February 10th, 1813-With Fort Niagara occupied and Smyth’s army retreated to Rochester, New York, Lieutenant General Isaac Brock transferred to the Detroit Frontier. Lieutenant General Gordon Drummond takes control of the forces in New York.
· February 20th-21st, 1813-Drummond leads a force of his men south, burning Buffalo and Black Rock, and destroying the American fleet at Black Rock.
· March 14th, 1813-Henry Proctor leads an attack on Presque Isle with the additional forces sent with Brock. The British force of 600 regulars, 450 militia, and 300 Natives under Joseph Lenar defeated the American force and burned the six ships and captured their cannons.
· March 20th- 22nd, 1813- Lieutenant General Isaac Brock and Tecumseh lead an army of 1,500 Natives, 700 militia, and 200 regulars in an attack on Fort Meigs. The initial attack fails, and the British begin to besiege the fort. On the 22nd, Proctors forces reach the siege line with their newly acquired cannons and pound the fort until its surrender.
· April 1st, 1813- Combined British and Native force attacks and burns Vincennes, the capital of the Indiana Territory, a force of 450 militia and 365 regulars under governor Harrison tried to defend the town, but retreated when British cannon fire started to burn the town.
· April 3rd, 1813- Governor Harrison asks for an armistice on the Detroit Frontier.
· April 5th, 1813- Drummond moves his forces to just outside Rochester and in the famed “Battle of Genesee River” Smyth calls for an armistice before an attack even begins.
· April 7th, 1813-Lieutenant General Prevost agrees to the terms of both armistices, other than small skirmishes in Lower Canada and Maine, fighting stalls.
· April 18th, 1813- The Treaty of Havana is signed ending the War of 1812. The treaty pulls British troops out of New York. America is forced to recognize the British Prectorate native state, named Mishigama (Ojibwa name for the region) consisting of the Michigan, Illinois, and Indiana Territories. Also Britain stops impressing sailors from the US Navy, and ships bound for Europe must stop at a British port to be inspected, or be inspected by the Royal Navy.

A question for you concerning my native area, western New York.
Enclosed is a timeline for the war, with action in western New York/Ontario shown in this blue color and other action in Indigo;

AD 1812 (16 August) Detroit falls to British and Indian forces in the War of 1812.
(19 August) The USS Constitution engages and defeats the British frigate Guerriere east of Nova Scotia. During the intense battle, cannonballs actually bounce off the oaken hull of the Constitution, gaining for her the nickname, “Old Ironsides”.
(13 October) The Battle of Queenston Heights takes place and sees the American troops carry the heights under the leadership of General Stephen van Rensselaer. A second detachment, consisting of New York State Militia refuses to cross the Niagara River to support their countrymen. The broken British troops rally in the woods at the rear of the Heights, and being reinforced by troops from Fort George, they counterattack and regain possession of the Heights after a severe conflict in which their commander General Brock is killed.
(21 November) A cannonade is carried out between Forts George and Niagara, continuing for the whole day, with hot shot from both forts. The British fire more than two thousand hot shot and one hundred-eighty shells into Fort Niagara, killing two men and wounding several others. The American hot shot sinks a schooner at the wharf on the British shore and repeatedly sets fire to the town of Newark (Niagara-on-the-Lake) during the course of the duel.
(27 November) Captain King, leading a small detachment of volunteers, crosses the Niagara River in the night and spikes several guns at two small batteries below Fort Erie, rendering them useless.

AD 1813 (27 May) Fort George is captured by a detachment of General Dearborn’s force, assisted by several light vessels from the American Fleet on Lake Ontario.
(11 July) The British attack and destroy the village of Black Rock, destroying barracks and a blockhouse. They are repulsed by a detachment of regular troops and drafted militia and a party of volunteers from the village of Buffalo and the surrounding country.
(24 August) The British under Sir George Provost attack the American pickets at Fort George, but retreat after driving them inside.
(13 December) The village of Newark is burnt and Fort George is abandoned by the American forces under the command of General McClure.
(19 December) Fort Niagara is surprised by the British, who cross at Five Mile Meadows and reach the fort undiscovered. This is followed over the next two days by the burning of the villages of Youngstown, Lewiston, Manchester (Niagara Falls), and the Indian village of Tuscarora. This is done in retaliation for the burning of Newark.
(30 December) The village of Buffalo is burnt and entirely destroyed by the British, with the exception of two buildings, and the inhabitants are forced to flee, many of them on foot, through the surrounding wilderness to distant settlements through the frosts and snows of winter.

AD 1814 (3 July) The American army, under the command of General Brown, crosses the Niagara River from Buffalo and captures Fort Erie, commanded by Major Burke and garrisoned by 170 British regulars.
(5 July) The Battle of Chippawa takes place as British regulars are defeated at the point of bayonets by the American troops.
(25 July) The Battle of the Cataract takes place as the British are defeated after a bloody battle in which Major General Brown and Brigadier General Scott are wounded and British Major General Riall is taken prisoner.
(3 August) Some 1,500 strong British, under the command of Lt.Col. Tucker, are repulsed at Scajaquadie’s Creek in an attempt on the village of Buffalo. They are defeated by a detachment of 240 riflemen under the command of Major Morgan.
(12 August) Major Morgan of the First Rifle Regiment is killed in battle at British outposts near Fort Erie.
(15 August) The British are repulsed in a night attack on Fort Erie, with the loss of about 600 killed or taken prisoner..
(24 August) British forces invade Washington, D.C.; setting fire to the President’s Mansion and the Capitol. Because repair efforts to the Presidential Mansion include receiving an external coat of white paint to hide the smoke stains, this building will become known as the “White House”.
(14 September) Francis Scott Key writes the “The Star Spangled Banner” after witnessing the British bombardment of Fort McHenry in Maryland in the War of 1812.
(17 September) An American sortie on British lines from Fort Erie is completely successful. Within a few days, the British forces retire from the area and abandon all the posts on the Niagara River except Fort George. Soon after this, the American troops destroy Fort Erie and retire to winter quarters.

Thanks for your timeline, I'll be waiting for more.

-- John (aka Tomac)

A question for you concerning my native area, western New York.
Enclosed is a timeline for the war, with action in western New York/Ontario shown in this blue color and other action in Indigo;

what was your question?

what was your question?

Sorry, due to a "hickcup", I had to write that twice and lost a sentence in between.
In light of what did happen in the Niagara Frontier and southern Ontario regions, what changes do you forsee in your timeline for my home region?
BTW, this photo was in our local paper yesterday, maybe you can use it.

Actors portraying French soldiers and their Native American allies prepare for the Siege of Fort Niagara during the battle's 250th anniversary Friday.
Charles Lewis / Buffalo News

Thanks for your story.

--John (aka Tomac)

I like that you're showing Tecumseh's brother the Open Door as a capable and important leader, not the weak, erratic ex (or sometimes still) drunk he's sometimes portrayed as. I'm following this with interest.

I don't know that Tecumseh would've wanted an Anglo-style democracy since all the tribes have their own, often far more democratic, systems. Except as you point out, it may be to convince the Brits they're capable of being worthy allies.