The Crown and the Tomahawk 2.0

As I promised, here's the first installment of my TL revamp, I hope you all like it and continue to read as I update it. I plan on getting updates out at least once a week.

The Crown and the Tomahawk 2.0

August 15th, 1812, Quebec, Lower Canada

Lieutenant General Sir George Prevost was at his desk when a private entered his office.

He snapped to attention “Sir, the Americans have asked for an armistice on the Niagara River, Major General Sheaffe is requesting orders.”

Prevost looked at the map on the wall. He had recently gotten word that the Orders in Council had been revoked by Parliament, but the Americans have yet to ask for peace. “Does he believe an attack in imminent?’

“The Major General believes the Americans do plan to force a crossing, and may use the armistice to build up and reinforce.”

“Tell him to not accept the terms, and to be ready for an attack if it comes. Major General Brock is on his way to Fort George, he will take command when he arrives.”

“Yes sir!” The messenger left the office with his new orders.

August 22nd, 1812, Queenston Heights, Upper Canada

Major General Isaac Brock looked across the river at the American ships on the eastern shore. Smoke rose from a few, many were damaged to some degree. The British bombardment was having a good effect on the American invasion being built up outside Lewiston, New York.

He turned to the messengers standing next to him, “We outnumber the enemy at the moment, if we can force a crossing on their flank, we can stop the invasion before it begins. Send a messenger to Quebec for permission to attack, also prepare ships up river incase we get approval.” Prevost better approve this, with territory in New York, we can bargain with the Americans when they decide to talk peace.

Blue figures rushed back and forth on the beach, Brock couldn’t tell what they were doing, but it was cut short when a mortar round landed near by. Some scattered, but others just fell onto the sand. He smiled to himself, yes everything was going well.

August 29th, 1812, Outside Lewiston, New York

Sand crunched under the bow of the first British ship to come ashore. Isaac Brock stepped onto American soil, and peered through the darkness to the other ships crossing the Niagara. So far, the Americans slept in their camp, still unaware of the threat that was uncomfortably close. Brock smiled we’ll break the invasion before it even begins. Troops from the 49th Regiment of Foot moved into the woods on the bank, along with many Mohawk warriors who knew this area. The British force should be ready to attack by sunrise.

Isaac moved into the woods, and fell behind Capitan John Norton, who was leading the Mohawk warriors. “Take your men around the American camp, wait till they break, then wipe them out. Stay in the woods until they panic, then charge. We’ll crush them between our attacks.” Capitan Norton nodded and spoke to the Mohawk in their own tongue. Soon the Natives had disappeared into the dark forest.

Taking his place with his men just inside the forest, he prepared for the attack. Looking to his left, Isaac saw the crew loading the Grasshopper cannon; its firepower would be welcome in the coming battle.

Just as the sun came up over Lewiston Heights, the first shots rang out. American militia rushed out of their tents, trying to load their weapons as they ran to what little cover there was. Brock could see an officer trying to get the troops in line outside the camp, it seemed he was about to rally the Americans when the first shots rang out from the far side of the camp. The officer turned to find the source of the noise, when his body jerked and crumpled to the ground. His aide rushed to his side, but Brock could tell he was mortally wounded.
This was the signal he was looking for, “CHARGE!” Major General Brock burst from the tree line with his force right behind him. British regulars and militia rushed the American line, which broke quickly in the face of the trained troops. They retreated…right into the waiting Mohawk.

Later that day

Brock looked across the Niagara River back towards Queenston, the river was filled with British and captured American ships moving the army across the river into Lewiston. A column of American prisoners marched under guard down to the river. Reports from them said that the commanding officer in the region, Major General Stephen Van Rensselaer, had been the officer killed in the battle, and that a Brigadier General stationed in Buffalo was now the American commander of the Niagara Frontier.

Prevost had ordered Brock to occupy Northern New York, and gave him permission to engage the enemy when needed. High Command wanted a quick victory on this frontier, then fortifies and defends their gains. Brock hoped he would be transferred back to the Detroit frontier, where Tecumseh was doing his best to defeat the Americans in the Indiana and Michigan Territories. Maybe if he succeeds, the king will grant the Natives the land they promised

War of 1812 New York and Northwest Frontier Timeline

· September 3rd, 1812-Combined Native army burns and sacks Fort Harrison, Zachary Taylor is among those killed.
· September 5th, 1812-Chief Winamac’s forces lay siege to Fort Wayne
· September 6th, 1812-Tecumseh’s army moves south from Detroit to reinforce Winamac
· September 7th, 1812-Isaac Brock’s force marches to Buffalo, New York and defeat Alexander Smyth’s force of 1,700 Regular Infantry at the Battle of Buffalo Creek and occupy the town
· September 10th, 1812-Combined native force succeeds in taking and burning Fort Wayne
· September 12th, 1812-Harrison’s relief force is defeated at the ruins of Fort Wayne by Tecumseh’s force of 1000 warriors and 140 British Regulars
· September 13th, 1812-Colonel William Russell’s force of local militia and Regulars defeat the Combined Native force south of Fort Harrison. Chief Stone Eater is killed in the battle along with 18 Natives.
· September 15th, 1812-American forces under Alexander Smyth Defeat the British at the Second Battle of Buffalo Creek. Brock’s Forces pull back to Lewiston.
· October 10th- 13th, 1812- After minor skirmishes outside Lewiston, Brock moves his force of 2,000 regulars, 600 militia, and 300 native allies to attack Fort Niagara. Smyth, fearing another attack on Buffalo does not attack the British rear until the 12th, the Canadian militia stalled the American advance. The Provincial Marine provided fire from Lake Ontario on both the fort and Smyth’s army. On the 13th, Smyth’s forces broke the siege, allowing the forces to retreat and burn the fort. British Casualties were 143 killed, 206 wounded. American Casualties were 74 killed, 300 wounded, 100 taken prisoner.
· December 17th-18th, 1812-Battle of the Mississinewa considered indecisive, American forces attacked a Miami village taking 76 prisoners. A counter attack the following day freed some of the prisoners, but American forces got word that Tecumseh was nearby with a sizeable force. John P. Campbell fell back to Fort Greenville, by the time they returned to the fort on the 28th, over 300 suffered from frostbite
· January 22nd, 1813-Battle of Frenchtown ends in a decisive British victory, James Winchester’s plan to retake Detroit fails and he retreats into Ohio and builds Fort Meigs. River Raisin Massacre ends in the death of at least 68 American wounded.
· January 31st, 1813-Peace talks begin between America and Britain in Havana. One of the terms of peace is an independent native state in the great lakes region.
· February 10th, 1813-With Fort Niagara occupied and Smyth’s army retreated to Rochester, New York, Lieutenant General Isaac Brock transferred to the Detroit Frontier. Lieutenant General Gordon Drummond takes control of the forces in New York.
· February 20th-21st, 1813-Drummond leads a force of his men south, burning Buffalo and Black Rock, and destroying the American fleet at Black Rock.
· March 14th, 1813-Henry Proctor leads an attack on Presque Isle with the additional forces sent with Brock. The British force of 600 regulars, 450 militia, and 300 Natives under Joseph Lenar defeated the American force and burned the six ships and captured their cannons.
· March 20th- 22nd, 1813- Lieutenant General Isaac Brock and Tecumseh lead an army of 1,500 Natives, 700 militia, and 200 regulars in an attack on Fort Meigs. The initial attack fails, and the British begin to besiege the fort. On the 22nd, Proctors forces reach the siege line with their newly acquired cannons and pound the fort until its surrender.
· April 1st, 1813- Combined British and Native force attacks and burns Vincennes, the capital of the Indiana Territory, a force of 450 militia and 365 regulars under governor Harrison tried to defend the town, but retreated when British cannon fire started to burn the town.
· April 3rd, 1813- Governor Harrison asks for an armistice on the Detroit Frontier.
· April 5th, 1813- Drummond moves his forces to just outside Rochester and in the famed “Battle of Genesee River” Smyth calls for an armistice before an attack even begins.
· April 7th, 1813-Lieutenant General Prevost agrees to the terms of both armistices, other than small skirmishes in Maine and on the frontier, fighting stalls.

Naval Engagements

In 1812, Britain's Royal Navy was the world's largest, with over 600 cruisers in commission, plus a number of smaller vessels. Although most of these were involved in the fighting against Napolean, the Royal Navy had 85 vessels in American waters. By contrast, the United States Navy comprised only 8 frigates, 14 smaller sloops and brigs, and no ships of the line at all. The Royal Navy planned to protect shipping to and from Halifax, and to blockade American ports, but was thinly stretched and many ships were undermanned, while American ships were manned by well-drilled volunteers.

The American Navy under Commodore Jonh Rodgers grouped all the ships of the Navy in one force, in an attempt to force the British to concentrate their forces and break the blockades of American ports. The plan worked and British forces concentrated outside New York Harbor, opening other ports for returning American merchant ships, but taking five ships.

American frigates managed to defeat and either capture or burn the HMS Guerriere, HMS Java, and HMS Macedonian. While taking the Guerriere, the USS Constitution gained the nickname “Old Ironsides” after British cannonballs bounced off her hull. Britain began to construct five new frigates, and upgraded three ships-of-the-line into heavy frigates, and more ships were sent to American waters. The blockaid tightened, and though Britain was unable to cpture or destroy any American naval vessels, they managed to capture many merchant ships and disrupt commerece on the east coast.

Treaty of Bermuda

On May 18th, 1813 delegates from both Great Britain and America met in Bermuda to formally end the conflict. The treaty pulls British troops out of New York. America is forced to recognize the British Protectorate native state, named Mishigama (Ojibwa name for the region) consisting of the Michigan, Illinois, and IndianaTerritories. Also merchant ships bound for Europe must stop at a British port to be inspected, or be inspected by the Royal Navy to stop supplies from reaching Napoleon.

June 3rd, 1815 Fort Detroit, Mishigama

Tecumseh sat in a large room, filled with delegates from the thirty-two nations that helped him form the country they were now creating a constitution for. Among the crowd of Indians were the white faces of British delegates, among them Isaac Brock, to help Tecumseh’s Confederation form a stable government. The government was to be formed based on Canadian and British examples.
There had been arguments before, but none so heated as this one.

“You will lead our people to destruction. We must not follow the white man!” Tenskwatawa yelled across the room at his brother. Some of the delegates nodded along.

“The British are our allies; they will help us become strong. We need their help to stop the Yankee from destroying our people!” A lot more agreed with him, which comforted him.

“This will make us no different from the white man, you have become their dog!”

“If you leave this congress, you will just prove to the Yankees that we are just savages to be exterminated. We must be strong and united. If we break, the American army will swallow us up and kill us all!” Tecumseh smiled to the crowd roaring and applauding.
“We denounce this congress!” Tenskwatawa rose and left the room, along with three of the delegates.

Brock leaned over to Tecumseh, “Don’t worry he’ll come to his senses.”

Tecumseh frowned, “I hope you’re right…”

June 10th, 1815 Shore of the Ohio, Mishigama

Sergeant Benjamin Doss marched in line behind another prisoner of war southeast towards Louisville, Kentucky. On either side of the close to five hundred militia and regulars from the American Army marched British regulars. Other prisoners had been whispering at nights that the Brits weren’t the only troops watching the column that Natives were in the forests along the road. Either way, if the Americans made a move, they would be sorry.

Tecumseh had ordered that the remnants of the American Army in Mishigama were to be marched to the Ohio River, and sent back to the US. Doss frowned to himself, Months ago this was the US. He was at the Battle of Vincennes, he saw the former capital of the Indiana Territory, and his home, burn, his brother was at Fort Dearborn, and was killed in the massacre, Benjamin had a lot to pay back And I intend to do just that…

July 21st, 1815 Corydon, Mishigama

Mitchell Nash squinted in the hot sun as he weeded his corn field. It had rained the last few days, and he had a good feeling about the harvest in a few weeks. Hopefully he’d be able to sell some of the crops to pay for more land to farm the next year.

Since the Indiana Territory was given to the Shawnee and their allies, white settlers had been leaving in droves, just packing up and moving south or east to Ohio and Kentucky. Word had come down from Fort Detroit, Fort Brock he corrected himself, that whites had a chance to decide. Leave Mishigama, or swear allegiance to Tecumseh and the Natives.

“Mitchell!”

Nash looked up from the weeds, his back cracked as he straightened. His neighbor walked down the isle between the rows of corn to him. The man smiled and shook Mitchell’s hand. He had the sharp cheekbones and dark black hair that said that his ancestors did not come to North America from Europe.

“Nice to see you Elangomat, what brings you to my farm today?”

“I wanted to know if you were staying on the land, or leaving like many others.”

“Don’t quite know yet, got till the end of the season to decide, have to talk to Anne,” Mitchell thought for a second “I think we’ll probably stay, never had a quarrel with your people here.”

The Delaware smiled “Good we need people with your…expertise.”

“Expertise, I’m just a farmer?”

“Yes, we want farmers to help our people. Most don’t know to farm like the whites do, the Chiefs are looking for teachers.”

“Teach how to farm?” Mitchell thought about it, “Yea, I could help you…If we plan to stay.”

July 25th, 1817 Fort Pontiac, Mishigama

“Great Chief?”

Tecumseh looked up from the fire at the Mishigaman warrior. This can’t be good news. He sighed, “Yes what is it now?”

“It’s your brother, Tenskwatawa and his warriors have raided an Ottawa village, and took supplies. The Ottawa are yelling for repirations”

Tecumseh sat down and sighed, “Have you told the Great Council and the Chiefs yet?”

“No, we wanted to tell you first, but I’m sure the Ottawa have mentioned it. I’m on my way to tell them after this.”

“Go tell them, I’ll be there in a moment to discuss this.”
--
Tecumseh walked into the room filled with delegates from the nations living across Mishigama. The room went silent as he walked in and stood in the center of the room. “I have learned of the attack on an Ottawa by Tenskwatawa and his warriors. This attack by my brother threatens to destroy what we have fought and died for. The Americans are waiting for our Confederation to break, for us to fight between ourselves. We will not give them what they want, we will not break like a dead tree in the wind, and we will grow and thrive. To do this we need security in out territories, for us to be safe in our villages. I will council on this matter, and to decide on what to do next.”

The seven chiefs rose from their seats and walked out of the room with Tecumseh to the building they used for meetings. The eighth, Tenskwatawa, would not be joining them in this session. Chief Winamac lit a fire in the center of the longhouse, and they all sat around it. The room was silent for a while as everyone watched the fire grow.

Chief Black Hawk looked up, “What is the council’s thought on this matter?”

“We must break up his following, or there will be more attacks. This will threaten our confederation if this continues.” The others nodded as Joseph Lenar spoke.

Tecumseh spoke up, “How should we stop him?”

“Send out our warriors,” Mishikinakwa yelled, “remove them anyway we can.”

Joseph Richardville frowned along with Tecumseh. “We can’t do anything rash, Tenskwatawa may dislike Mishigama, but he is one of us, and the brother of the Great Chief, we shouldn’t do anything we will regret.”

“We can’t leave a force that fighting us alone in the heart of our lands, New Prophetstown is in to vital of an area.” Winamac's frusturation could be heard in his voice, “If we won’t use force, we might want to relocate them.” Everyone began to mumble, realizing the irony.

“I will travel to New Prophetstown; I will talk with my brother. I hope I can rid him of this nonsense.”

“What if that doesn’t work?” The council all spoke agreement with Black Hawk.

“Then we will discuss an alternative, I will leave in two days. I’ll take warriors along with me for protection. I hope I will solve this with the peace pipe before we must solve this with the tomahawk.”

August 4th, 1817 New Prophetstown, Mishigama

The sands on the shore of the Tippecanoe crunched under the bow of the canoe as it came to shore. Tecumseh stared at the village, it looks just like it used to

Villagers watched from their homes as the procession of Mishigaman bodyguards and Tecumseh walked by, He waved at them, and stopped to talk to a few, all to the anger of his bodyguards; “Just in and out” they would keep saying.
Tecumseh would remind them that the villagers were Mishigamans too.

His brother’s wigwam was in the center of New Prophetstown, guards stood outside it too. They watched Tecumseh suspiciously. “You can go in Great Chief, but your warriors cannot.”

Tecumseh nodded to his guards and walked inside. Tenskwatawa stood by a fire, looking into it and praying. “Welcome to New Prophetstown brother.”

“We must talk; the council and I want you to return.”

Tenskwatawa didn’t even look up, “You all have become white men, slaves to the British.”

“The British are our allies, they have helped us gain what should be ours, what is ours.” Tecumseh wished his brother would see the light.

“The Great Spirit wanted us to abhor from European goods, you tell our people to embrace them.”

“The Great Spirit gave us the strength to win the war; would He not give us the strength to govern our people? We must unite our people, we must keep them united, our allies help us defend our homes, does the Great Spirit not want us to be strong, to thrive?”

“He does, but not like the white man, to cut down the forests to make room for farms? To kill more deer than you hunger for? These are things the Great Spirit does not want our people to do.”

“We won’t, we are making small farms for each tribe, mostly off land abandoned by the Yankees, come back to Fort Pontiac brother, help steer us through these times, as the Great Spirit wants.”

Tenskwatawa looked deep into the fire, thinking and silently praying for guidance. “You have been blinded by the English, and will lead our people to ruin.”

Tecumseh knelt beside the Prophet, worry and sorrow showed on his face, “It seems you are set in your ways, the Council won’t attack your people unless your attack first. If you will not return to Fort Pontiac, then at least live in peace with those who surround you.”

Tenskwatawa did not look up from the fire, “The children of the Great Spirit are not our enemies but the White Man, and those who are corrupted by them will fall.”

Tecumseh stood up, realizing that he was unable to reach his brother, and moved towards the longhouse entrance, and turned at the door, “I warned you, live in peace or we will have to remind you of our strength. You are but one village. Please brother, remember our strength.”

Last edited:
This looks very interesting; I think I remember reading your original TL when I wasn't a member. Keep up the good work!

MadMc

Good to see you and this active again. Must admit I'd forgotten how far it got last time but do remember Tecumseh's problems with his brother and Nash the farmer. Sounds like Dross will be a problem in the future and can see a lot of unhappy Americans. So will be storm clouds ahead sooner or later.

Steve

September 20th, 1817 Corydon, Mishigama

Mitchell Nash, with his wife’s support, decided to stay in Indiana after it changed hands. Though he still did not see his worth, it had become apparent that the new government in Fort Pontiac felt that he and other simple farmers like himself were valuable. A few nearby tribes had sent apprentices to learn about European methods of farming. The tribes came and built a small longhouse near his home for the apprentices to stay in as they helped Nash on his farm. He really didn’t mind, because it meant less for him each day.

Today, he was working with his four farmhand-apprentices to harvest and store the last of the crops they had planted in the summer. With the extra help Nash was able to get more done per day than previously, and even had a few nights where the farm work was done early, a surprising event on the farm. The Indian boys even helped hunt the nearby woods, bringing in supplemental food for the Nash family.

Rumors of problems in Fort Pontiac had reached the Nash farm, but it sounded more like the usual squabblings of politicians, much like the news from Washington DC. Sounds like Tecumseh and the others learned quickly how to run a nation, we must be good examples. Mitchell laughed to himself; he wasn’t worried about arguments in the capitol. After all, it wouldn’t affect him at all in the long run.

November 16th, 1817 Kagoughsage, Mishigama

The winter was coming soon to Mishigama, and Tenskwatawa knew that it would be a rough one. His followers in New Prophetstown had not stored enough supplies for the winter, and many of the families did not have wintering lands near the village. The need to feed all his followers led him to the outskirts of this Shawnee village, they had food and his people needed it. Besides, they have been corrupted by Tecumseh and the British, and lost the faith of the Great Spirit.

The Prophet and his warriors crept into the village ready, almost hoping for a fight. They were trying to take the village’s food, and Tenskwatawa knew that the loyal Shawnee would not give up their food peacefully. The raiders crept closer to the longhouses, using the shadows to conceal their advance.

Suddenly there was the crack of a musket and warriors shouting from inside the village. The raiders moved quickly to get to the storehouses and grab as much as they could. The sounds of the intensifying shootout brought more and more warriors out of their homes to repel the attack. Before the attack could get too deadly, Tenskwatawa’s raiders disappeared into the forest. The Shawnee sent parties out to find the attackers, but never did. Soon the news of the attack had reached Fort Pontiac, and Tecumseh would have no choice this time but to put an end to his brother’s attacks.

Very nice. Where is the capitol of Mishgama? If you haven't decided yet, I'm going to suggest OTL Chicago, just for cool points.

Eee! It's nice to see this back, I still (kind of) remember reading it when I was just a guest! Subscribed, and I simply can't wait for more!

MadMc

Well Tenskwatawa's really blown it now. They might have tried trading or even begging but seeking to steal and being willing to kill should put him totally beyond the pale. His 'Besides, they have been corrupted by Tecumseh and the British, and lost the faith of the Great Spirit' is the standard excuse of any fanatic demonising those he wishes to abuse.

Can't remember what happened last time around but the fact that Tecumseh is willing to to act against his own brother should hopefully stablish matters.

Steve

MadMc

Well Tenskwatawa's really blown it now. They might have tried trading or even begging but seeking to steal and being willing to kill should put him totally beyond the pale. His 'Besides, they have been corrupted by Tecumseh and the British, and lost the faith of the Great Spirit' is the standard excuse of any fanatic demonising those he wishes to abuse.

Can't remember what happened last time around but the fact that Tecumseh is willing to to act against his own brother should hopefully stablish matters.

Steve

in 1.0 i used the "divine guidance" excuse to avoid the war, but I felt that that was a poor excuse. I felt that that was an easy way out for quelling Tenskwatawa. Thanks for the support and I hope everyone continues to read!

Also the capitol of Mishigama at the moment it Fort Pontiac in OTL Detroit. Fort Dearborn was burned (or atleast I planned on it, now lookin back at the 1812 TL i seemed to have missed it) and Fort Detroit was taken intact. It will move to the more central location of Chicago in the future once rebuilt

Also the capitol of Mishigama at the moment it Fort Pontiac in OTL Detroit. Fort Dearborn was burned (or atleast I planned on it, now lookin back at the 1812 TL i seemed to have missed it) and Fort Detroit was taken intact. It will move to the more central location of Chicago in the future once rebuilt

Wonderful. I'd love to see Chicago be the capital of something. I'm also curious to see how Native American Architecture will develop. We really don't have any examples of Eastern Woodland modern Native American Architecture. The Navajo have some really nice architecture, but they have an entirely different culture from the sort of people who'll be settling Mishigama.

December 30th, 1817 Fort Pontiac, Mishigama

Major-General Henry Procter, Britain’s military advisor in Mishigama, sat around the council fire in the chamber of the Council of Chiefs. Today, Procter was the only white face in the room, but everyone’s face showed the same frustration with Tecumseh. News of Tenskwatawa’s raid in the south had reached the capitol of Mishigama, and many delegates wanted blood. Tecumseh, however, had locked himself in his quarters, no doubt torn about his brother’s actions. For ten days he had made no decision on what to do, causing many to doubt if he would be able to order his brother’s death, and some to doubt his leadership completely.

Since he first met Tecumseh after the attack on Fort Detroit, Procter found his ability to lead the red men of the Detroit Frontier surprising. Like many who had met few natives before the war Proctor believed them to be savage, but Tecumseh quickly proved himself to many in the British Army as an equal.

The door to the room opened and Tecumseh walked in, flanked by two warriors. One Procter recognized as Chief Black Hawk, a member of the Council of Chiefs, but the other he had not met. Tecumseh looked tired, even aged by the looming crisis, and by the look on his face he had decided how to handle the situation.

Black Hawk and the other warrior took seats around the fire, while Tecumseh stood before the assembled chiefs. Everyone held their breath and waited for the Great Chief to speak. Tecumseh took the moment to compose himself, then began.

“My fellow chiefs, our home and our families have been attacked by an internal force. The fact that the attacker is my brother does not change my duty to protect my people. Tenskwatawa should have returned from New Prophetstown and helped lead our confederation into prosperity, but he became blinded by distrust in our British father who helps us protect our homes. His strength comes from those just as blinded by Tenskwatawa mistrust and preachings as he is. We must attack New Prophetstown and remove this internal threat. Black Hawk will lead the attack, and my lieutenant Lalawethika will be his second-in-command. We will scatter the enemy and continue down the trail towards prosperity.”

The Council members let out a cry, Procter could tell that all doubt in Tecumseh had evaporated. The council broke quickly, and Tecumseh, Lalawethika, and Black Hawk walked with Procter to Tecumseh’s home. Tecumseh had taken one of the surviving American buildings as his home, and in one of the rooms he had put a map of the Mishigaman area on one wall. He pointed out New Prophetstown on the map and discussed, more in depth, the plans of attack with Procter. Procter was impressed with the plan, but noticed that Tecumseh had made no mention of plans to use the sizeable contingent of British Troops stationed across the Detroit River in Upper Canada.

“Great Chief, do you wish British support in your attack?”

“No Major-General, not with the attack. If it is possible, I want you to build forts in the south that Black Hawk’s warriors can fall back to. Forts will also be useful for defense if we are unable to break Tenskwtawa’s forces with this one stroke.”

Procter looked at the map a bit longer, calculating the possibilities, “You have my forces at your disposal.”

Here's this week's update. I'll prolly have two next week, one midway through and one next weekend. Enjoy!

February 20th, 1818 Fort Pontiac, Mishigama

Black Hawk looked over his band of warriors, now equipped with new weapons from the British. He wore a full British uniform, though his men all wore a patchwork uniform of traditional clothing, and pieces of British uniforms. Soon his band of warriors would be marching south to burn New Prophetstown. The Great Council thought that to remove Tenskwatawa’s base of operation would remove much of his power. Though Black Hawk wasn’t as sure it would work, he wasn’t about to disobey orders.

Black Hawk was glad to be leaving Fort Pontiac. Major-General Procter’s British troops had poured over the Detroit River and into the town from Upper Canada to provide support to Mishigaman warriors. Black Hawk was glad to have the support, but the two growing armies were straining the town’s supplies, and it was becoming very crowded.

Lalawethika began yelling orders to the warriors, which meant that the last of the supplies for the band had been loaded up into the wagons. Black Hawk was unsure about his second-in-command. They had not served together during the war, but Black Hawk knew that Lalawethika fought under Tecumseh throughout the war, and was like a son to the Great Chief. He was a young man, about twenty-five, but was filled with youthful energy and confidence. The few times the two men had talked, Black Hawk was impressed with Lalawethika’s charisma. Black Hawk could see why Tecumseh had begun mentoring the man in the hopes that he may one day become Great Chief.

Within an hour, Black Hawk and his men were moving south. Tenskwatawa had sent out other raids to nearby villages throughout the winter, and Black Hawk expected to find more men in those villages who would want revenge for the attacks. It was a five day march to New Prophetstown, and the band was ready for the fight.

MadMc

I understand Tecumseh not wanting to use British troops to avoid any opponents claiming he's nothing but a British puppet. However doesn't the fact that his troops on this mission are using all/part British uniforms going to undermine that stance?

Good to see more of this and hope you can keep to the schedule you're proposing. Thanks.

Steve

I felt that the British uniforms would be used as a way to distinguish friend from foe in the battle, but it could easily be used for propaganda as well by Tenskwatawa.

I'm actually finding alot of time to write and have the next four updates outlined already, if i don't hit a major writer's block I should easily stay on my schedule. Even if I get a minor writers block, I have side information to post that would give me a few weeks, but I think re-doing the TL has given me alot more to write about.

I felt that the British uniforms would be used as a way to distinguish friend from foe in the battle, but it could easily be used for propaganda as well by Tenskwatawa.

I'm actually finding alot of time to write and have the next four updates outlined already, if i don't hit a major writer's block I should easily stay on my schedule. Even if I get a minor writers block, I have side information to post that would give me a few weeks, but I think re-doing the TL has given me alot more to write about.

How about unique uniforms, different colored coats (green? gray?) supplemented by native adornments...this eary mix-and-match could evolve into the unique look of their hybrid culture.

February 25th, 1818 New Prophetstown, Mishigama

The day had felt wrong to Tenskwatawa from the moment he had awoke, as if a cloud had slid in front of the sun putting him into shadow. Though he felt unusual, life in New Prophetstown continued its daily routine without interruption. Still, Tenskwatawa couldn’t shake the feeling, and he retired to his longhouse early this evening. Nightmares plagued his sleep, and he was startled awake in the night by screams. It took the Prophet a moment to realize that they were not from his dreams, but from outside!

He rushed from his home and into what was, just hours before, a wonderful village. Flames and bodies made his town seem like the Christian hell, and Tenskwatawa could see men and women running about between the burning homes. Some stopped to shoot or fight one another; others just ran for their lives. The Prophet was stunned by the chaos for a moment before he noticed that some of the warriors had seen him, and musket balls began flying past him. He ran from his village, stopping quickly to pick up a musket from a fallen warrior. With only one eye, Tenskwatawa did not expect to shoot anyone, but it would make a good club if anyone got in his way.

Tenskwatawa stayed low and used the shadows to get out of the village and into the forest. He could hear others running through the forest, along with the occasional crack of a musket or a scream. Suddenly a fallen log grabbed his leg and he fell face-forward. Tenskwatawa laid there stunned for a moment, then heard someone crashing through the brush behind him. He crawled under the log just in time as the warrior ran by, his red jacket visible in the moonlight. Tenskwatawa curled into a ball to try and keep warm; he would try and find other survivors in the morning.

Last edited:
March 12th, 1818 Corydon, Mishigama

Tenskwatawa and his band of refugees were, among other things, very hungry. After that cold night hiding for his life under a log, he had returned to the ruins of New Prophetstown and found quite a few of his followers still alive. It was on that morning that Tenskwatawa pledged to end his brother’s reign, and burn his town to the ground. And now his band of warriors were heading north to Fort Pontiac to end his brother’s influence over the Great Spirit’s people.

Unfortunately, much of their stored food was destroyed along with New Prophetstown, so as the band moved they had to get food from wherever possible. So far, some British traders and the village of a Council Chief had found themselves in the path of Tenskwatawa. Now he had found a farm filled with food, and run by a white man. The Prophet had also seen some young Indians working on the farm, no doubt treated ill by the farmer. This would not only help his people, but do the Great Spirit’s wishes as well!

The Prophet’s warriors slowly surrounded the house and the small longhouses nearby. They threw burning torches onto the farmhouse and whooped as it began to burn. The farmer and his wife ran out of the burning house, and Tenskwatawa’s warriors began shooting. The woman fell, as if she tripped on something, but did not get up. The man kept running, but fell before making it to the tree line.

Everything seemed to have worked according to plan, and the Prophet’s Band began to grab food. Tenskwatawa watched the men as they worked, relishing the victory when three shots rang out, and three of his warriors fell to the ground. No one seemed to know where the shots came from, until more rang out. Then Tenskwatawa saw them; three young Indians were shooting from the longhouses.

Tenskwatawa was shocked; Why would they help the white man, let alone fight to defend him? The Prophet never had a chance to ask them because as soon as his warriors found the three, they made short work of the young men.

Once the last of the food was packed up, the band set fire to every building. Tenskwatawa still could not shake his thoughts about those three men. It seemed like his brother’s influence had already seeped into the hearts of those in the Confederacy. It seems that bringing the Confederacy back to the Great Spirit will be harder than expected. No matter, Tenskwatawa knew that he was doing what was right, and soon all of Mishigama would too.

MadMc

Damn! Tenskwatawa's gone totally off the deep end. Both in thinking that his defeated and disorganised forces can attack the confederations heartland and in the brutal racial slaughter he has now started. I was hoping that Nash and his family would be OK and would provide a good example for integration and for helping the Indians learn valuable lessons. Now there is the danger that not only may there be other killings but fear of them could discourage other whites settling in the area.

I'm a bit surprised that he has enough forces left for even a raid in mid-winter and that
Tecumseh's forces didn't finish them off, or at least round up most of them. That could be a costly mistake.:( Hopefully Tenskwatawa is stopped soon.

Steve