The Cornette Call: A Pro Wrestling Timeline

Where's Bret been these last few months? Did he retire and I missed it?

Partly I forgot to book him, I think what I'm going with is he's been resting up since WrestleMania. I do gotta remember to start booking him more since he hasn't got a lot of time left in the business.

Partly I forgot to book him, I think what I'm going with is he's been resting up since WrestleMania. I do gotta remember to start booking him more since he hasn't got a lot of time left in the business.

Hey, at least Goldberg doesn’t force him to retire ITTL. Heck, I’m sure he’d be going on well into the 2000s if he hadn’t been concussed multiple times within a few days.

This is a good TL that I've been following from jump street.

One suggestion, if I may: Would it be possible to include to recap the stretches between PPVs? Not blow-by-blow Raw and Nitro recaps, of course, but maybe a little synopsis that hits on the biggest events from TV (debuts, face/heel turns, non-title wins over champions, the like). Especially in this era, the TV shows (especially the ones immediately after PPVs) tended to produce a lot of news.

I think it'd flesh out what's already good content. But if it's too much, that's understandable. These things aren't easy to maintain

This is a good TL that I've been following from jump street.

One suggestion, if I may: Would it be possible to include to recap the stretches between PPVs? Not blow-by-blow Raw and Nitro recaps, of course, but maybe a little synopsis that hits on the biggest events from TV (debuts, face/heel turns, non-title wins over champions, the like). Especially in this era, the TV shows (especially the ones immediately after PPVs) tended to produce a lot of news.

I think it'd flesh out what's already good content. But if it's too much, that's understandable. These things aren't easy to maintain

Yeah, while it does seem like a good idea, I'm juggling a lot of things so I try to keep it to the PPV results.

Fall Brawl 1998

We're back to Winston-Salem with the third WarGames match for the Outsiders. 12000 in the arena to see nine matches.

1. The Dancing Fools (Alex Wright/Disco Inferno) vs. Ernest Miller/Norman Smiley (No Contest) The bell rings and suddenly everyone in the ring gets jumped by the Outsiders. Superkick to Disco, Miller takes a Pedigree, Jacknife to Smiley and a Razor's Edge to Alex Wright. Instead of a match, we get a segment of the Outsiders talking about how they're gonna win WarGames, get their title shots and walk away champions all over again. Nash and Hall talk tag titles, Triple H looks to get the US title and Shawn wants to become a three-time world champion.
  2. Sean Waltman d. Silver King. Waltman has himself a fun little bit of cruiserweight action with Silver King, puts him out with a Superkick, then gets jumped by the Outsiders. That takes care of the Kid. They're done for now and head for the back.
  3. WCW Cruiserweight: Billy Kidman (w/Raven) d. Juventud Guerrera. Kidman wins one for the Flock thanks to the efforts of Raven on the outside. Seven Year Itch gets them the Cruiserweight Title.
  4. Raven d. Curt Hennig (w/Rick Rude) in a Raven's Rules Match. Raven destroys the older, broken down Hennig. Rude gets leveled by other members of the Flock while Hennig takes the Evenflow/Raven Effect/Ravenflow.
  5. Rick Steiner (w/Scott Norton) d. Scott Steiner (w/Buff Bagwell) Rick gets his revenge on his brother, evening things up at 1-1 for the two on PPVs, the two tossing each other around like only they can.
  6. WCW Tag: The Flock (Perry Saturn/Chris Kanyon) d. Lodi/Scotty Riggs. Riggs manages to break free of Raven's grasp, taking Lodi with him, but the two are fed to the more loyal Saturn and Kanyon, utterly destroyed so the Flock can phase out its weakest links.
  7. WCW US: Chris Jericho d. Dean Malenko. We let these two have the workrate match of the night. Jericho is back in full cocky Jericho mode. He taunts Malenko that he's gotten past the Cruiserweight ranks and that maybe Malenko should stay there a while, and while Malenko does prove to be better than Jericho would like, Chris beats Dean with the Liontamer, keeping the US gold.
  8. WCW World: Goldberg d. Lex Luger. Goldberg demolishes Luger, keeping the World title with the Spear and Jackhammer. Is there anyone else Luger needs to put over? Like, I managed to find shit for him to do for a bit with Sting, but after that he just kind of goes back to being hard to book for.
  9. WarGames: Team WCW (Ric Flair/Sting/Diamond Dallas Page/Booker T) d. The Outsiders (Shawn Michaels/Kevin Nash/Scott Hall/Triple H) And we have the end of the Outsiders. Flair gets Shawn in the Figure Four, Sting gets Nash in the Scorpion Deathlock. Pinfalls are allowed and Triple H nails the Pedigree, but he's exhausted so he has to crawl, Booker kicking out at two. Diamond Cutter to Hall wraps it up. The Outsiders are done and soon we'll get the Kliq feuding amongst themselves. But for now, Team WCW stands tall, having vanquished the Outsiders.

Excellent stuff, been catching up on everything this evening, really fun.

One suggestion since you’ve (rightly IMO) put the belt on Shamrock, we’ve still got the NWA Invasion half alive AND Cornette seems to have a little more pull...

Dan Severn v Ken Shamrock. NWA World Champion v WWF World Champion. Two legitimate hard men with MMA and Amateur backgrounds. A main event match that was hinted at IOTL but never happened. Cornette was always Severn’s biggest advocate and has mentioned in interviews he’s baffled McMahon never pulled the trigger for that sweet dollar*. A ‘legit’ sport style build with a bare bones slobberknocker pay off. Could be something cool (and thematic) for Shamrock to do before Austin comes back for the title. Survivor Series main event before Austin makes the return for a programme heading into WM XV?

*TBF to McMahon, Severn knew his worth in combat sports and was never totally committed to the WWF. When VinnieRu suggested he paint 666 on his forehead and become an enforcer for Ministry Undertaker (because that hoss obviously needs a bodyguard!) he walked. One foot in pro wrestling, one foot in MMA, a scary motherf*cker with legit credentials who could help attract cage fight fans, with a famed motormouth for a manager; they even wanted him to be rechristened simply The Beast. The Brock parallels almost make me think McMahon did regret not doing more with Severn and was waiting for someone to fill the role.

If Cornette has more leverage to protect his image, Severn might stick around longer (he happily wrestled in the NWA after he walked). Question would he, just like Shamrock, get burnt out as a gimmick or could the ‘legit’ fighters become major pillars of the Attitude Era?

EDIT: Oh my god. ATL where the two stay in the WWF... Shamrock/Severn tag team.

Don’t mind me.

Last edited:
Excellent stuff, been catching up on everything this evening, really fun.

One suggestion since you’ve (rightly IMO) put the belt on Shamrock, we’ve still got the NWA Invasion half alive AND Cornette seems to have a little more pull...

Dan Severn v Ken Shamrock. NWA World Champion v WWF World Champion. Two legitimate hard men with MMA and Amateur backgrounds. A main event match that was hinted at IOTL but never happened. Cornette was always Severn’s biggest advocate and has mentioned in interviews he’s baffled McMahon never pulled the trigger for that sweet dollar*. A ‘legit’ sport style build with a bare bones slobberknocker pay off. Could be something cool (and thematic) for Shamrock to do before Austin comes back for the title. Survivor Series main event before Austin makes the return for a programme heading into WM XV?

*TBF to McMahon, Severn knew his worth in combat sports and was never totally committed to the WWF. When VinnieRu suggested he paint 666 on his forehead and become an enforcer for Ministry Undertaker (because that hoss obviously needs a bodyguard!) he walked. One foot in pro wrestling, one foot in MMA, a scary motherf*cker with legit credentials who could help attract cage fight fans, with a famed motormouth for a manager; they even wanted him to be rechristened simply The Beast. The Brock parallels almost make me think McMahon did regret not doing more with Severn and was waiting for someone to fill the role.

If Cornette has more leverage to protect his image, Severn might stick around longer (he happily wrestled in the NWA after he walked). Question would he, just like Shamrock, get burnt out as a gimmick or could the ‘legit’ fighters become major pillars of the Attitude Era?

EDIT: Oh my god. ATL where the two stay in the WWF... Shamrock/Severn tag team.

Don’t mind me.

To be fair to Severn, that 666 thing was probably the worst idea Russo ever spat out. And he's spewed out a lot of shit. And believe me, I have been itching for a placed to put Shamrock/Severn, probably to cap off the NWA angle as well. Most likely it'll be for Survivor Series or the Rumble.

This is the reason why WCW shouldn't have hired Vince Russo IOTL; while he was a good writer, Vince McMahon was his editor.

In WCW, he had no editor, and ask them how they...oh, wait, they went bankrupt?

Also, you’ve just butterflied away Brawl For All, which makes me think Dr. Death will have a MUCH better run in the Fed.

e: thinking about it, if you do a 4-way main at WM2000 ITTL I could easily see Steve Williams slipping into Triple H’s spot, especially if Austin’s healthy enough to replace Big Show

Last edited:
What's interesting, between the NWA invasion and Cornette having more of Vince's ear it seems like the "Attitude Era" is far more influenced by the NWA style southern rassling than the ECW blood and guts.

Also, you’ve just butterflied away Brawl For All, which makes me think Dr. Death will have a MUCH better run in the Fed.

e: thinking about it, if you do a 4-way main at WM2000 ITTL I could easily see Steve Williams slipping into Triple H’s spot, especially if Austin’s healthy enough to replace Big Show

No neck injury ittl, so this is a go!

I didn't even notice that the Brawl For All hadn't happened, and honestly, I feel nothing of value was lost.

What's interesting, between the NWA invasion and Cornette having more of Vince's ear it seems like the "Attitude Era" is far more influenced by the NWA style southern rassling than the ECW blood and guts.

And kayfabe is still holding, though I imagine that tether will snap sometime in the 2000s.

A promo he probably hasn't done ITTL due to there no longer being a Montreal Screwjob.

That reminds me, did Jericho still do the Man Of 1004 Holds promo against Malenko ITTL? It’s one of my favourite promos, and it would’ve fit in really well with the whole conspiracy angle imo.

Breakdown: In Your House

18000 in the Copps Coliseum in Ontario for a nine-match show.

1. Heat: The Brood (Gangrel/Edge) d. Too Much.
  2. Heat: Marc Mero (w/Sable) d. Droz (w/Paul Ellering)
  3. Heat: Bradshaw d. Mosh (w/Thrasher)
  4. The Hardy Boyz d. Kaientai DX (Dick Togo/Men's Teioh) The Hardys get a PPV victory here, beating the lower ranked members of K-DX, really getting to showcase their wild high-flying style on the big stage.
  5. WWF European: Val Venis (w/Terri) d. Dustin Rhodes. And we have more of Val's tour of hitting on other people's wives, going after Dustin and his wife Terri. Another Money Shot victory to further cement his reign as European Champion, helped by Terri actually turning on Dustin and siding with Val.
  6. NWA North American: Jeff Jarrett (w/Jim Cornette) d. Al Snow (w/Head) Crazy ass Al Snow goes right for Jarrett, bringing that ECW brand of violence, but he gets put away in the Figure Four.
  7. The Rock d. Kane. Rock comes off his feud with Owen with a win against the Big Red Monster. He's got a lot more momentum compared to his debut and is gunning for the world title in the future.
  8. Undertaker d. Mankind. Just to give them something to do. Chokeslam. Tombstone.
  9. Bret Hart d. Steve Austin. Bret makes his return here in Canada for the big pops and to face Austin in a match for a shot at the World Title. He gets the win and has the crowd behind him because it's Canada. The two put on a good match and yes, we tease the piledriver spot with Austin. Hey, it's been months since I did the spot, let me have my grim fun.
  10. WWF Tag: The New Age Outlaws d. The Disciples of Apocalypse (Crush/Chainz) in a No Disqualification Match. We get more wild brawling from the Outlaws with the DoA. While I imagine the TTL reception to the Outlaws is nowhere near as good without the DX rub, they do put on fun matches during their time as tag champions, keeping the belts here.
  11. WWF IC: Owen Hart (w/Jim Neidhart) d. D'Lo Brown (w/Kama Mustafa) Nation member D'Lo looks to reclaim the IC title, Owen bringing the Anvil in to neutralize Kama on the outside. It's not a long match, probably below ten minutes, but Owen and D'Lo make the match work in that time frame and D'Lo taps to the Sharpshooter.
  12. WWF World: Ken Shamrock d. Vader (Steel Cage) This was Vader's last match in the WWF for quite some time and while I do think he had a much better run than in OTL, he eventually would head to Japan IOTL and that might be his journey ITTL as well. Who knows? Maybe Vince can keep him on for a bit longer, depends on what I've got to work with for cards and if those cards need Vader Time. For now, he and Shamrock get one last bit of stiff brawling, locked up in a cage. Both men bleed for this one, and the rules allow for submissions, so Vader taps out to end the show.

IIRC Vince doesn’t much like Vader (he was always more famous in NJPW and WCW, and Vince resented that he couldn’t make him a star), so if he stays on ITTL it’s almost certainly because of Cornette. Then again, maybe Vince has warmed to Vader ITTL lmao.