The Central Confederacy, or, what if the Upper South was its own nation-state?

So, there was apparently a proposal by a Maryland senator for what are essentially the tobacco-hemp states to confederate and secede rather than join with the Deep South in the lead up to the American Civil War. Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia, North Carolina and Maryland, as well as possibly Missouri, were the states he mentioned in a letter to the Delaware Governor at the time. The plan was never fully published, talked about or acted upon but it is a pretty fascinating example of the sectional tensions within the South that are often ignored or downplayed especially when it comes to anything relating to the Confederate States of America and its brief tenure.

This thread doesn't have a specific purpose other than to brainstorm and discuss what might lead to the creation of the Central Confederacy, its viability as a sovereign polity and what said nation-state might be like, especially in comparison to the North and Deep South, if it managed to achieve independence from the other two sections.

4 of those states notably were not won by John Breckinridge in 1860 and instead either by John Bell or Stephen Douglas, and the others saw Breckinridge gain only a narrow plurality (other than Delaware where Republicans got 23% of the vote). So it makes sense for this to have been proposed.

As for how this would’ve happened, I think a more radical or radical-viewed Republican nominee could’ve done it ( ie Seward or Chase) with border states being pressured right out of the gate and Virginia feeling more pressure to secede. If all the states were to even join in (I have my doubts with Delaware and Missouri, and Maryland would’ve been the first Union target), it would probably take a Herculean effort to pull off with all the states hosting scores of Southern unionists ready to fight against secession especially in the Appalachian region. The Deep South would have to ally with the Central Confederacy and I almost don't even see that happening had there been two secessionist nations in the U.S. Either way it would be a messy situation.

4 of those states notably were not won by John Breckinridge in 1860 and instead either by John Bell or Stephen Douglas, and the others saw Breckinridge gain only a narrow plurality (other than Delaware where Republicans got 23% of the vote). So it makes sense for this to have been proposed.

As for how this would’ve happened, I think a more radical or radical-viewed Republican nominee could’ve done it ( ie Seward or Chase) with border states being pressured right out of the gate and Virginia feeling more pressure to secede. If all the states were to even join in (I have my doubts with Delaware and Missouri, and Maryland would’ve been the first Union target), it would probably take a Herculean effort to pull off with all the states hosting scores of Southern unionists ready to fight against secession especially in the Appalachian region. The Deep South would have to ally with the Central Confederacy and I almost don't even see that happening had there been two secessionist nations in the U.S. Either way it would be a messy situation.
There's an apocryphal nickname for Kentucky, "the Dark and Bloody Ground", owing to its history of political division and clan feuding, that might be extended to the entirety of the Upper South here. There'd be three major factions in each of these states, Upper South (Appalachian? Chesapeakean? Borderlander?) nationalists, Southern (Dixian?) nationalists and United States nationalists. It'd be a veritable three-way bloodbath and a true civil war in the darkest sense. The minimum would probably be Kentucky, Tennessee, Virignia and North Carolina, but I can see Maryland going with the rest of the Upper South here, you're right about Delaware, I don't think there was ever any real secessionist sentiment there at all, Missouri would be a very divided place too, demographically its Upper South population was becoming increasingly foreign or northern and it was drifting away from the Kentucky-Tennessee connection that it historically had. Though its a possibility they go along for the ride too.

The main advantage that the Upper South has is that most of the Southern military talent is from this region. Jackson, Lee, Forrest, Stuart, Breckinridge, Taylor all proved to be able men militarily and I have a feeling most of them would side with their states rather than the Deep South. When it comes to president, John Breckinridge, Beriah Magoffin, John Bell, John Letcher, Isham Harris are all possibilities, though of those I think John Breckinridge would be the best candidate for the presidency owing to his experience, if he's available for service. Breckinridge served pretty ably both as a general but especially later as Confederate Secretary of War so he might prove to be a better war-time president than Davis would be for the Deep South. The second advantage is that more internal resources can be spent convincing Appalachian Unionists or military occupying them if necessary as men won't have to be sent outside of the region for strategic reasons. Third advantage is that the Upper South is significantly less tied to slavery "in the abstract" as was said at the time than the Deep South was. Though it'd take a herculean effort, if they're really on the ropes, I could see the Upper South making an emancipation followed by deportation deal with the British to gain their intervention which is something I have more trouble believing the Deep South would manage.

The independence of this region, if successful, would probably mean that there's still a lot of infighting well after the war ends, many of the historical Kentucky-West Virginia feuds were Civil War in origin, so you might see an almost Northern Ireland like situation develop with those three-way loyalties developing into low grade guerrilla war internally well past the 1860s. Something that's a little ironic when you consider the ancestral composition of this region.

Have thought about this a little more, I wonder culturally, how different two separate Confederacies would be in the long run. Without the Upper South, does the Deep South really have the demographic weight to keep slavery as an institution for a considerably longer amount of time? The racial makeup in some of those states was nearly split even at time of secession. There's also the fact that the Upper South was basically an open air slave market at the time, selling off slaves by the quite literally hundreds of thousands to the Deep South.

There's also the fact that things like bluegrass music, country music, moonshine, that's all an Upper South phenomenon, so I have a pretty good idea of what the popular culture of a Central Confederacy might wind up being, more or less similar to what it is today, but is it possible that the Deep South might wind up significantly more creolized with an even greater black American influence on its culture than its already significant influence broadly speaking?

Have thought about this a little more, I wonder culturally, how different two separate Confederacies would be in the long run. Without the Upper South, does the Deep South really have the demographic weight to keep slavery as an institution for a considerably longer amount of time? The racial makeup in some of those states was nearly split even at time of secession. There's also the fact that the Upper South was basically an open air slave market at the time, selling off slaves by the quite literally hundreds of thousands to the Deep South.

There's also the fact that things like bluegrass music, country music, moonshine, that's all an Upper South phenomenon, so I have a pretty good idea of what the popular culture of a Central Confederacy might wind up being, more or less similar to what it is today, but is it possible that the Deep South might wind up significantly more creolized with an even greater black American influence on its culture than its already significant influence broadly speaking?
That last question depends on wether or not slavery is abolished and there’s societal integration.

If slavery is abolished, but there’s an Apartheid system to the modern day, then you can imagine a very 1920’s culture in the sense that a lot of it will be mocking (or villainizing) caricatures of Black people, as well as a clear and separate distinction between low class “jazz” and high grade "white" music, even more so than IOTL. (Obviously, cultural appropriation will happen, but it’ll be much slower, and will be much more white-washed.)

(Basically, ITTL, Elvis would be considered too progressive in the Deep South, far more than he was IOTL, for popularizing Black music. The Central South would see him as a deity tho.) (Hell, it’s possible that Tennessee moves its capital to Memphis (and turns it into a consolidated city-county) just to bask in the glow of being next to Graceland.)

The North, meanwhile, would most likely be culturally defined by more mocking of the southern states (because they’d most likely become backwaters), as well as there being some jingoism/good riddance sentiments regarding the seceded states. The Plains would become the new South, serving as the rural agricultural region for the country. If relations are good enough for there to be a something of an EU agreement between the countries, then it’s basically OTL, except the North just has a more progressive government, the Central South wobbles between Bill Lee Republicans and Andy Beshear Democrats depending on the election season, and the Deep South, left to its own devices… well, let’s just say their politicians would make Steve Scalise look outright moderate, if not outright progressive. (In the case that there hasn’t been an end to Aprtheid.)

If there has been an end to Apartheid, you basically get the South from OTL, except more conservative/liberal depending on how the Apartheid ended and how open the borders between the countries are.

If the Apartheid ended due to internal reform, and there’s the same border policy as IOTL between the countries as the US has with Mexico, the Deep South is more conservative since there’s no danger of a mass exodus of their Black underclass, and they’ll reform just enough to keep their system going, and to get the inevitable embargoed against them to stop.

If it’s because there was an outright civil war, or just mass armed resistance (most likely funded by the US to screw over the Deep South out of revenge/to keep Black people there fighting rather than emigrating) and there’s an open border between the Deep South Confederacy and the U.S. (meaning that if they fuck around, there will be a mass exodus of Black people), then it’s possible this Deep South looks like what our South would look like if you had both the Wyoming Rule (for greater representation) and explicit requirements for minority-majority congressional districts (even possibly a constitutional requirement for quotas at the government like Rwanda has for women).

Last edited:
That last question depends on wether or not slavery is abolished and there’s societal integration.
Sorry, seems that I forgot I made this post and never responded to this. The Upper South tended to have a very deportationist mindset when it came to dealing with the black people, whether free or enslaved, and if they're in a separate confederacy from the Deep South, this opens up a massive market for them to pursue said policy right on their doorstep. This would have major dual demographic effects on the Upper South and Deep South making one significantly whiter and one significantly blacker, thus rendering the long-term stability of slavery or an apartheid system questionable, at least without the help of the Upper South and even the United States in maintaining the status quo.

I think emancipation plus deportation is a distinct possibility in an independent confederation of the Border-Upper South, but the Deep South is probably going to hold onto the peculiar institution with all the fury and might they can muster, we could see Whiggism in the Upper South lead to a diversification of agriculture which was already happening to a certain extent in the antebellum as well. The Upper South has a huge problem with the Deep South on their border, though, especially in terms of back migration and the Underground Railroad trying to operate on their territory. It would be kind of interesting to see what a majority white Upper South and majority black Deep South look like in the modern day in comparison to one and other. Really not a great thing for either republics though.

Last edited:
Sorry, seems that I forgot I made this post and never responded to this. The Upper South tended to have a very deportationist mindset when it came to dealing with the black people, whether free or enslaved, and if they're in a separate confederacy from the Deep South, this opens up a massive market for them to pursue said policy right on their doorstep. This would have major dual demographic effects on the Upper South and Deep South making one significantly whiter and one significantly blacker, thus rendering the long-term stability of slavery or an apartheid system questionable, at least without the help of the Upper South and even the United States in maintaining the status quo.

I think emancipation plus deportation is a distinct possibility in an independent confederation of the Border-Upper South, but the Deep South is probably going to hold onto the peculiar institution with all the fury and might they can muster, we could see Whiggism in the Upper South lead to a diversification of agriculture which was already happening to a certain extent in the antebellum as well. The Upper South has a huge problem with the Deep South on their border, though, especially in terms of back migration and the Underground Railroad trying to operate on their territory. It would be kind of interesting to see what a majority white Upper South and majority black Deep South look like in the modern day in comparison to one and other. Really not a great thing for either republics though.
This serves as an excellent addition to my point, particularly how the liberal/conservative divide at this point would be determined by racial polarization. I think the best case scenario for the Upper South Confederacy would be a TL where Kentucky/Tennessee entered the Union as free states, and Virginia had enacted gradual manumission at its 1830 constitutional convention. (The proposal was that every slave born in 1840 and onwards, would be freed once they reached 18/21 years of age for women and men respectively, at least that's what I remember from the sources I've read.) (The other Virginia proposals that would help would be: establishing "white" population basis of apportioning the General Assembly (rather than by property), extension of the vote to all free white males, and the popular election of governors.)

This more populist Virginia (which would dominate this Upper South Confederacy) would much better set the tone that you've mentioned, and would most likely lead to the case of the Upper South becoming much whiter than they are today (perhaps politically, they would look like West Virginia in the 20th century, with a major focus on working class politics). The Deep South would definitely become proto-Apartheid South Africa, at least for a long time, with either reform of revolution being inevitable by the 20th century. Culturally, it would look like Bioshock Infinite, with political endorsements by the Klan being actively sought out by "respectable" politicians. If there's reform/revolution, then it will be necessary for deeply entrenched protections for Black people and their rights/votes, with them most likely only being able to control Mississippi/South Carolina, while they would be an oppressed and segregated large minority in the other states of the Deep South Confederacy.

Last edited:
This serves as an excellent addition to my point, particularly how the liberal/conservative divide at this point would be determined by racial polarization. I think the best case scenario for the Upper South Confederacy would be a TL where Kentucky/Tennessee entered the Union as free states, and Virginia had enacted gradual manumission at its 1830 constitutional convention. (The proposal was that every slave born in 1840 and onwards, would be freed once they reached 18/21 years of age for men and women respectively, at least that's what I remember from the sources I've read.) (The other Virginia proposals that would help would be: establishing "white" population basis of apportioning the General Assembly (rather than by property), extension of the vote to all free white males, and the popular election of governors.)
The idea I had was that Virginia passes a gradual emancipation act in the 1830s as was discussed, and later, Kentucky, Tennessee, Maryland and Missouri adopt similar acts themselves in tandem with the historical agricultural diversification movement and growing urbanization that was occurring in all aforementioned states in the 1830s-1860s, however, the Upper South would still support the ability for slaveholders to migrate westward both as a way of diffusing slavery and getting rid of their black population, but also just out of kinship ties with the Deep South, meaning a Southern political bloc would still be viable if severely injured by the domestic proceedings of Upper South states. Radicals would still probably attack slaveholders e.g something like John Brown's raid is still possible, which would make the Upper South very angry because they're actively dealing with the slavery issue, if just not at the pace Northern immediatists want them to, and they'd have a pretty justifiable point in saying that the gradual acts of ending slavery they adopted throughout the Upper South are themselves modeled after Northern proposals but the sectional tension would still be there.

Some more moderate northerners might misread the going ons of the Upper South to mean its realigning politically with the North, and a sectional candidate could get elected in 1860, spurring a secession crisis where the Upper South, in the act of ending slavery gradually, isn't welcome in the Deep South Confederacy but also owing to its Jeffersonianism and lingering sectional anger at the hypocrisy of the North doesn't believe that coercing the Deep South back into the Union is constitutional so declares neutrality at a Border/Upper South State Convention or some such and then ends up seceding to form their own confederation when troops are finally raised to put down the Deep South.