The Big Fellow- An Irish TL

I've been away for a while so thought it was time I returned, and bearing the gift of a timeline on a country I've never featured before. I hope you all enjoy it!

When Michael Collins was interred at Glasnevin Cemetery in November 1971, it seemed to be the end of an era. The old guard, those who had fought the War of Independence and then in the Irish Civil War, were now mainly dead. Of the remaining prominent ones, Sean Lemass and Eamon de Valera were both on their last legs.

The old President had been in ill health for only a short space of time, and his sudden death was a surprise as he had always appeared to be in a good state for a man in his early eighties.

The newspapers, even those owned by de Valera, were respectful. People did ask interesting questions. What if he had suffered the same fate as Cathal Brugha and been assasinated? What if he had not presided over great prosperity for Ireland? And what if a man of his stature had not been on hand to prevent a sinister takeover in the Thirties?

Thande

Donor
Excellent!

I believe other people have used this POD before, but I'll be interested in seeing your stab at it.

Deaths Across The Nation

On the 10th August 1922, the decisive battle of the Irish Civil War took place. Liam Lynch, an IRA man against the Anglo-Irish Treaty, had proclaimed an anti-Treaty "Munster Republic" around Cork. Cork had fallen the previous day- now the last town, Fermoy, had fallen. Liam Lynch was dragged out into a field on the edge of the town and shot by Free State soldiers. [1]

Michael Collins, Eoin O'Duffy and Richard Mulcahy were now in total control of County Cork. With no orders being issued (the local rebels were unaware of Lynch's death and were thus rudderless), the Free State soldiers imposed their will on the county. Scores of Republicans were executed.

When news of Lynch's killing filtered out, the IRA and their other anti-Treaty comrades reacted with disbelief and worry. Cork was now lost entirely-it had been a stronghold. Eamon de Valera was even more concerned, as now Collins had scored a major political and strategic triumph.

But for the pro-Treaty forces, there was tragedy. On 12th August 1922, their leader and the leader of Ireland, Arthur Griffith, died of a brain haemorrhage. W.T. Cosgrave summoned Collins back to Dublin as a matter of urgency to fix a new leader.

[1] This is the POD. IOTL, Lynch managed to abandon Fermoy and escape. His men killed Collins not too long afterwards.

Last edited:
Excellent!

I believe other people have used this POD before, but I'll be interested in seeing your stab at it.

The POD is actually slightly different than previous ones I have seen. It involves Collins and Mulcahy doing better in their landings than IOTL. Liam Lynch doesn't escape. IOTL, Lynch did escape and changed the anti-Treaty tactics to a bitter guerilla war.

Glad there's some interest though!

Collins arrived in Dublin on 19th August, leaving Richard Mulcahy in charge of mopping up resistance in County Cork. But this was hardly to be a difficult task.

On the 16th August, with Lynch dead, Frank Aiken took over as rebel commander-in-chief. He was unconvinced that the struggle had much more life left in it, especially when he heard that Liam Deasy had surrendered. Within days he started making plans to call on the Anti-Treaty fighters to lay down their arms and submit to the Free State.