The Barito of Madagascar settle in the Philippines instead of Madagascar

The Barito of Madagascar settle in the Philippines instead of Madagascar, I don't think it would really have an impact on the history of the Philippines although Madagascar would remain uninhabited.

The Philippines was settled by Barito and Dayak tribes as well according to the oral histories but they were absorbed by local tribes, I think that would be the fate of the Merina of Madagascar ITTL as well here but the Barito might have more linguistic impact there.

In this timeline, Madagascar would remain uninhabited and might be until the age of exploration.

Edit:
There is an African population there.

Last edited:
So you personally thought that the Barito languages (and Dayak languages) are closest to the subtrate(s) that was substituted by the ancestor of the Philippine languages?

The Barito of Madagascar settle in the Philippines instead of Madagascar, I don't think it would really have an impact on the history of the Philippines although Madagascar would remain uninhabited.

The Philippines was settled by Barito and Dayak tribes as well according to the oral histories but they were absorbed by local tribes, I think that would be the fate of the Merina of Madagascar ITTL as well here but the Barito might have more linguistic impact there.

In this timeline, Madagascar would remain uninhabited and might be until the age of exploration.
Madagascar is to close to mainland africa to remain uninhabited until the XV century .
Bantu settlement is probable because malagasy are a mix of austranesian and bantu, so Atl its going to be populated only by bantu speaking groups , perhaps swahili becames the main ethnic group and language in the island when the portuguese reach the indian ocean.
Muslim madagascar , probably ?

So you personally thought that the Barito languages (and Dayak languages) are closest to the subtrate(s) that was substituted by the ancestor of the Philippine languages?

They aren't, I said that the Philippines was also settled by Barito and Dayak groups according to Oral history, they just got majorly absorbed ITTL, the Bajaus were derived from Baritos.

Madagascar is to close to mainland africa to remain uninhabited until the XV century .
Bantu settlement is probable because malagasy are a mix of austranesian and bantu, so Atl its going to be populated only by bantu speaking groups , perhaps swahili becames the main ethnic group and language in the island when the portuguese reach the indian ocean.
Possible, although the Westerners could also make it a settler colony if Madagascar was settled more sparsely.

Last edited:
The people of Madagascar are descended from both Africans (who came to Madagascar) and Austronesians. So, Madagascar would not remain uninhabited.

(I'm currently reading UNESCO General History of Africa's chapters on Madagascar)

Possible that more of Madagascar, and not just its northern tip, would be ensconced in the African Indian Ocean/Swahili-speaking world on its western coast. Unsure how the highlands of Madagascar, or its eastern coast, would be affected culturally aside from possibly more Swahili/Islamic cultural in-roads.

Another thing to consider is Madagascar's population. I don't think terraced rice irrigation would occur without Austronesians. Less people?

I wonder what carb would substitute rice cultivation/consumption.

The people of Madagascar are descended from both Africans (who came to Madagascar) and Austronesians. So, Madagascar would not remain uninhabited.

(I'm currently reading UNESCO General History of Africa's chapters on Madagascar)
Possible that more of Madagascar, and not just its northern tip, would be ensconced in the African Indian Ocean/Swahili-speaking world on its western coast. Unsure how the highlands of Madagascar, or its eastern coast, would be affected culturally aside from possibly more Swahili/Islamic cultural in-roads.

Another thing to consider is Madagascar's population. I don't think terraced rice irrigation would occur without Austronesians. Less people?

I wonder what carb would substitute rice cultivation/consumption.
The problem is the Africans there are too sparse to remain the majority if it is colonized.

Last edited:
The problem is the Africans there are too sparse to remain the majority if it is colonized.
Unclear, even without Austronesian rice input. Could they have acquired crops that could've created a large population density through trade? Possible. Like the introduction of the cooking banana to Africa (now a staple in parts of Central and East Africa).

Unclear, even without Austronesian rice input. Could they have acquired crops that could've created a large population density through trade? Possible. Like the introduction of the cooking banana to Africa (now a staple in parts of Central and East Africa).

But the Africans never became the majority in Madagascar so there is less chance for that to happen.

Ensete would be a good replacement for rice in the highlands , if some ethnic group picks it up in southern ethiopia and brings it to madagascar .
That could allow a larger bantu , perhaps whit some semitic and cushitic backgroud, population in the highlands of the island .
And animal husbandry also , developing some sanga and/or zebu breed adapted to the topography of madagascar .

Last edited: