The Amalingian Empire: The Story of the Gothic-Roman Empire

Excellent work! Theodemir seems to be at the height of his power; definitely a Gothic Charlemagne. It's a bit sad that Amalaric (side note: I love the way Gothic names sound) died, though. All that work to unite the Goths, and while it wasn't wasted, it felt like Theodemir would have had a major setback if he wasn't elected king of the Visigoths.

I like how even the Anglo-Saxons recognize the Goths as a power to be reckoned with. I wonder what role they will play in the formation of the Gothic state, however.

I feel sorry for the Franks; they just can't compete against a powerful Gothic leader. Their territory will probably be slowly shrunken by each war they wage against Theodemir and his sons.

Finally, I really like the semi-mythic feel you've given this TL, it's very gripping.

First of all, I wanted to thank you for your kind comments. Its rather distressing that so few have actually commented on this TL, considering the amount of work I've put inot it. Although I've rationalized it as stemming from the fact that this is not a very well known part of history. We will see how the byzantine cliche reacts to my next few posts :)
As to the mythic significance of what is occuring, the Algo-Saxons certainly recognize the strength of the Goths. By the end of the reign of Theodemir, the Goths are the strongest Germanic tribe in Europe (and Africa). In OTL the Germans had a very strong sense of cultural connection and would carry on stories of other tribes as part of their own cultural heritage. The poem "Doer" which I referenced in this post actually contains references to Ermanerik, the Amaling leader of the Goths prior to the Hun invasion, to give you an idea. In fact, several Nordic sagas make reference to swuch events. In the ATL, the struggles of Theodemir certainly would make it into that cultural stewpot, especially considering what is coming with the Franks. There will be epic poems written about that struggle!
The interesting thing about the struggle with the Franks is that it came as a bit of an accident. When i originally did this timeline, back in 2000, I had Theodemir (Valamir in that version) defeat the Franks and chase them out of Gaul. Knowing more about the Germanic tribes, I found this very unlikely. But I did want Theodemir there to save the Visigoths from losing Aquitaine. I thought that having Theodemir kill Clovis would do two things; A) it would gave a very early point of depature from the timeline, showing that things were chaning and, B) show that Theodemir had a temper on him and was able to do things in the spur of the moment. It was only after i had written that update that I really considered the reprecusions of that action. Everything fell into place from that point, and gives the reader a very real dramaric story thread to follow. Rest assured, the conflict between the Amalaings and the Merovings is not over, and things will get very nasty before it is all done.
Its nice to see you appreciate the mythological aspects of the timeline. I have actually, in real life, written an epic poem in the Anglo-Saxon alliterative verse style (it was fun to write the prelude, I haven't worked in the style in a while!), and really adore the Germanic myths. recently i've read a bunch of the Icelandic sagas that deal with these topics, including the Saga of Thederic of Bern (Theodoric). I thought I would be interesting to explore Theodmir's influence on this topic. I have a feeling that his story will be the fodder for many a lay an epic in coming centuries.
Finally, I too love Gothic names. Many of them are taken directly from the historical record; Theodoric's father, for instance, was named Theodemir, and I thought it was an appropriate name for the son. Others, such as Amalaric, are the names of OTL personalities who fit similar situations. Finally, as this will show up as the timeline progresses, are simple Germanic names that I've created for use in the timeline. Germanic names of this time had a definite structure to them, and are not difficult to reconstruct, based on the linguistics of the people. Since I can not speak Gothic, i am basing them on standard Germanic strutcures, with an eye given to names which are more likely to show up in the culture (since the Gothic royal house is the Amalings, it seems likely that names containain Amal- would be more common)
Glad you are enjoying the TL and if you, or any other readers, have anything to add, please feel free to chime in!

Great Timeline!

There might have been Saxon contingents involved in those battles. The Franks settled quite a few in Normandy as a bulwark against the British in Aremorica, who might have contributed some of their numbers to the Frankish armies.

Great Timeline!

There might have been Saxon contingents involved in those battles. The Franks settled quite a few in Normandy as a bulwark against the British in Aremorica, who might have contributed some of their numbers to the Frankish armies.

I actually did not know that. I do have some plans for the region of normandy, albiet a ways down the road, and may have to work something in about that. Thanks!

I just wanted to let everyone know that i updated my last chapter with a map which shows Western Europe at the time of the ascention of Theodemir the Great. I'e included it below as well for anyone who missed it. Finally, I wanted to give my thanks to Sapiento, who kindly offered to supply me with maps for this TL!

GothicEuropeFrankishDivision526.jpg

Zioneer

Banned
Wow, that's an enormous Gothic kingdom; somehow I don't think even Theodemir will be able to keep it intact. I'm guessing that control over the former Roman areas will weaken, and perhaps part of Spain will fall to the Vandals.

Speaking of the Vandals, they seem to be keeping quiet. Too quiet... They're planning something against the Goths, aren't they?

I wonder what the Lombards will do? They seem to be lurking just outside the Gothic kingdoms. They might take advantage of the distractions facing Theodemir and invade.

Wow, that's an enormous Gothic kingdom; somehow I don't think even Theodemir will be able to keep it intact. I'm guessing that control over the former Roman areas will weaken, and perhaps part of Spain will fall to the Vandals.

Speaking of the Vandals, they seem to be keeping quiet. Too quiet... They're planning something against the Goths, aren't they?

I wonder what the Lombards will do? They seem to be lurking just outside the Gothic kingdoms. They might take advantage of the distractions facing Theodemir and invade.

Well, in all honesty, the Ostrogthic and Visigothic kingdoms were both ruled by Teodoric in OTL, albeit Hispania indirectly. In the ATL the situation was the same, only with Theodemir as acting-regent over the Visigoths.
However, with the two kingdoms officially being ruled directly by the same person now, Theodemir is going to have to introduce some innovative administrative reforms if he's going to hold it all together. This is all the more true, because more territory will be added to the Gothic kingdom before his reign is over.
Luckily, Theodemir is a known force amongst the Visigoths and, one could argue, at least initially, much of his own powerbase will stem from that region. That doesn't mean, of course, that everyone is going to be happy with the things he's going to need to do to tie the Goths together into a single state.

On a side note, keep an eye on the Lombards. They won't be showing up as a force immediately, but they do end up having an important part to play in the near future. For the time being, however, Theodemir is focused mainly on restructuring his realm, fueding with the Franks, and placating the Eastern Emperor who may not be particularly thrilled with his vassal in Italy growing in power.

Aremorica is shown as part of the Frankish realm. While they most probably claim it, I really doubt that they truly control that piece of real estate. There had been scattered British settlements in the area since the war of the Loire in the last century, but in OTL from about 525 a massive influx of British settlers arrived. Gregory of Tours is conspicously silent about Frankish activities then and there, including Tours itself, while supplying a plethora of information about other regions, until in 544 the Franks seem to regain control of Tours and try to establish domination over squabbling British kinglets, as whatever authority established those colonies seems to have broken down by then.

As for the Lombards, the area shown is mostly the former realm of the Heruli, their main settlements were south of the Danube in the evacuated provinces of eastern Noricum Ripense and Pannonia (what is today eastern Austria and western Hungary), coming into conflict with the Gepids in the Carpathian basin.

Last edited:
Aremorica is shown as part of the Frankish realm. While they most probably claim it, I really doubt that they truly control that piece of real estate. There had been scattered British settlements in the area since the war of the Loire in the last century, but in OTL from about 525 a massive influx of British settlers arrived. Gregory of Tours is conspicously silent about Frankish activities then and there, including Tours itself, while supplying a plethora of information about other regions, until in 544 the Franks seem to regain control of Tours and try to establish domination over squabbling British kinglets, as whatever authority established those colonies seems to have broken down by then.

As for the Lombards, the area shown is mostly the former realm of the Heruli, their main settlements were south of the Danube in the evacuated provinces of eastern Noricum Ripense and Pannonia (what is today eastern Austria and western Hungary), coming into conflict with the Gepids in the Carpathian basin.

Good call on Bretagne. In all honesty, I looked at several maps, some of which included Brittany as part of the Frankish kingdoms, and some which did not. I decided to include it, with some hesitation. i suspected that the Bretons were more independent than had been let on.
If it makes you feel any better, consider the map to include what the Franks considered to be their territory. Brittany, itself, will be dealt with in more detail in the future.
The Lombards, by the way, wlll come into conflict with the Gepids. That will have a major impact on the developement of the timline (believe it or not, I DID plan for that!)

Comments!

First military. As you said, he's not a great general, you pointed out originally that he was not even a particularly good general. Yet at 15 he was able to execute a planned retreat and have it not degenerate into a disaster? That's amazing. I'd suggest that he actually have it turn into panicked flight and has his ass saved by Alaric. This is what teaches him to be cautious later on. That said I think he's a bit too good for just being average but you never know, his opponents could be worse so it's not really a criticism.

The campaign itself I don't see anything particularly wrong with it, though I find Clothaire's behavior a bit odd. Would communications be reliable enough that he could come to the aid of either brother if he's in the middle? I would assume he'd join up and win the battle on the plains at Poitiers, trusting in the rougher terrain in the east to help Theuderic by doing a grand flanking motion after beating the Visigoths.

Second, cultural. One of the reasons the Visigoths in Hispania did not become as Romanized so quickly, was because they were primarily stock breeders. The Roman population was concentrated in the cities or settled agriculture. Is there a similar division in Italy? If not how can the average Ostrogoth not become Romanized already?

Finally a point on the future. Good luck to Theodemir in keeping any order at all in the Visigoths. They are not going to like a powerful central king one little bit. It doesn't matter if they like him, if he shows weakness they'll pounce.

Last edited:
Comments!

First military. As you said, he's not a great general, you pointed out originally that he was not even a particularly good general. Yet at 15 he was able to execute a planned retreat and have it not degenerate into a disaster? That's amazing. I'd suggest that he actually have it turn into panicked flight and has his ass saved by Alaric. This is what teaches him to be cautious later on. That said I think he's a bit too good for just being average but you never know, his opponents could be worse so it's not really a criticism.

The campaign itself I don't see anything particularly wrong with it, though I find Clothaire's behavior a bit odd. Would communications be reliable enough that he could come to the aid of either brother if he's in the middle? I would assume he'd join up and win the battle on the plains at Poitiers, trusting in the rougher terrain in the east to help Theuderic by doing a grand flanking motion after beating the Visigoths.

Second, cultural. One of the reasons the Visigoths in Hispania did not become as Romanized so quickly, was because they were primarily stock breeders. The Roman population was concentrated in the cities or settled agriculture. Is there a similar division in Italy? If not how can the average Ostrogoth not become Romanized already?

Finally a point on the future. Good luck to Theodemir in keeping any order at all in the Visigoths. They are not going to like a powerful central king one little bit. It doesn't matter if they like him, if he shows weakness they'll pounce.

Thanks for the comments. To begin with, i should clarify Theodemir's skill as a general. What I originally meant to indicate about him, is that he is not a military genius. He is certainly competent; in fact he's fairly good, but he's not a Belesarius or an Alexander, certainly. His biggest issue is that, especially as a younger man, is that he's given to rashness in the heat of the moment, which hurt him in his recent war with the Franks.
As to your other concerns, the Ostrogoths are primarily rural at this stage, which has insulated them somewhat from Romanization. This was helped by Theodoric's ban on Roman learning. The nobility has had greater contact with the Roman upperclass and is certainly drawn to certain aspects of Roman culture. However, as in OTL, they are rather jealous of their independence as well.
Ruling the Visigoths is certainly going to take time and effort. Theodemir has a great deal of experience in administrating the kingdom while he was in Toulouse, but I suspect there will be a series of uprisings against his rule, as he attempts to centralizing (within reason) the kingdoms, and draw both of the Gothic realms together. In OTL, from what I've read, there was a steady movement of Gothic nobles into Hispania from Aquitaine trying to escape the efforts of the Kings to expand their authority. This is something that Theodemir is going to have to try to stop, if he can.
By the way, since Spain is your area of expertise. In the ATL, Aquitaine wasn't lost to the Franks. What effect would this have on Visigothic settlement patterns?

Thanks for the comments. To begin with, i should clarify Theodemir's skill as a general. What I originally meant to indicate about him, is that he is not a military genius. He is certainly competent; in fact he's fairly good, but he's not a Belesarius or an Alexander, certainly. His biggest issue is that, especially as a younger man, is that he's given to rashness in the heat of the moment, which hurt him in his recent war with the Franks.
As to your other concerns, the Ostrogoths are primarily rural at this stage, which has insulated them somewhat from Romanization. This was helped by Theodoric's ban on Roman learning. The nobility has had greater contact with the Roman upperclass and is certainly drawn to certain aspects of Roman culture. However, as in OTL, they are rather jealous of their independence as well.
Ruling the Visigoths is certainly going to take time and effort. Theodemir has a great deal of experience in administrating the kingdom while he was in Toulouse, but I suspect there will be a series of uprisings against his rule, as he attempts to centralizing (within reason) the kingdoms, and draw both of the Gothic realms together. In OTL, from what I've read, there was a steady movement of Gothic nobles into Hispania from Aquitaine trying to escape the efforts of the Kings to expand their authority. This is something that Theodemir is going to have to try to stop, if he can.
By the way, since Spain is your area of expertise. In the ATL, Aquitaine wasn't lost to the Franks. What effect would this have on Visigothic settlement patterns?
Thanks for responding to my comments, that's made some things clearer and I'm looking forward to your next update.

As to your question, rereading my historical notes turns up some interesting things. OTL's Alaric II was when the mixing between Visigothic and Roman population happened in Iberia (one example is the Breviary). According to a (probably) Zaragozan Chronicle, the Visigoths had "...established settlements in Spain in the 490s. This may help explain the ease of their eviction from Gaul..." However "many" actually stayed under Frankish rule and just got absorbed and Roger Collins thinks that the numbers of Visigoths in Spain was actually rather small. Theoderic's regency in OTL was centered on the Ebro region. There's not a lot of information on 6th century Spain but it seemed that the Hispano-Romans and the Visigoths didn't mix much.

If the kingdom centers on Toulouse, I'd say Gothic settlement will be strongest in the Ebro region. Probably in Tarragona since that was the Roman major city and places like Girona (which was a mint and used by the Visigoths to make coins) and Toledo (religious center, symbolic).

Centers where Visgothic authority will remain light (or maybe even thrown off!) will be Andalucia which was a troublesome area for them until the end of Leovigild's reign. You might look for an expansion or survival of the Suevic kingdom too. If the Franks stay a vital threat or if the center of power eventually unites with the Ostrogoths in Italy, then Hispania will be the second tier and expansion there could stall for a time or forever depending on where you are going in the TL. You might want to contact the user LSCatilina who's writing Eagles and Hawks, a Visigothic based dark ages TL and who has some good sources.

If I had to map it, something like this for the 6th century:

500sSpainAmalingan.png

Last edited:
Thanks for responding to my comments, that's made some things clearer and I'm looking forward to your next update.

As to your question, rereading my historical notes turns up some interesting things. OTL's Alaric II was when the mixing between Visigothic and Roman population happened in Iberia (one example is the Breviary). According to a (probably) Zaragozan Chronicle, the Visigoths had "...established settlements in Spain in the 490s. This may help explain the ease of their eviction from Gaul..." However "many" actually stayed under Frankish rule and just got absorbed and Roger Collins thinks that the numbers of Visigoths in Spain was actually rather small. Theoderic's regency in OTL was centered on the Ebro region. There's not a lot of information on 6th century Spain but it seemed that the Hispano-Romans and the Visigoths didn't mix much.

If the kingdom centers on Toulouse, I'd say Gothic settlement will be strongest in the Ebro region. Probably in Tarragona since that was the Roman major city and places like Girona (which was a mint and used by the Visigoths to make coins) and Toledo (religious center, symbolic).

Centers where Visgothic authority will remain light (or maybe even thrown off!) will be Andalucia which was a troublesome area for them until the end of Leovigild's reign. You might look for an expansion or survival of the Suevic kingdom too. If the Franks stay a vital threat or if the center of power eventually unites with the Ostrogoths in Italy, then Hispania will be the second tier and expansion there could stall for a time or forever depending on where you are going in the TL. You might want to contact the user LSCatilina who's writing Eagles and Hawks, a Visigothic based dark ages TL and who has some good sources.

If I had to map it, something like this for the 6th century:

Thanks MNP, that really clarifies my view of the Visigoths during this period. Most of my readings on late Antiquity have focused mainly upon the Ostrogoths, Lombards and Byzantines; Spain remained, although not completely unknown, definitely a bit vague in my mind. This helped quite a bit.

With the merging of the Ostrogothic and Visigothic realms, as incomplete as they will be at first, I figure Theodemir is going to have a bit of an administrative nightmare on hands, expecially if he gains any more Gaulish lands from the next round of the Frankish conflict. Although the Roman beaurocracy is still running, fairly well, in Italy, from my readings, it appears to grow weaker the further one traveled from Rome and Ravenna.
Theodemir is going to have to deal with this. The way I was planning on going would be for him to, effectively, block further Gothic settlements outside of their core territories in Northern Italy and the Ebro/Southern Aquitaine. Rather than having Roman law and Gothic law exist side-by-side on an individual basis, this would instead give it a territorial dimension.

This would do several things at once. First, it clears up a great deal of administrative confusion as to who follows which laws. Secondly, by constricting the Goths to two, initial, territories, it would increase his royal power there, giving him a powerbase he, and his successors, can draw on in the future. Finally, it would get rid of the greatest source of discontent that the Romans had about Gothic rule, but giving both peoples a clearly defined territory (although, I suspect, that there will be Gothic nobles who would act as administrative governors outside of these territories, especially in Hispania). At this point, in Italy, many of the Gothic nobles were still sharing estates with Roman nobles as part of the initial settlement plan. This would prove an oppertunity to shake this out to most people's satisfaction. I suspect that much of the tribute coming in from the Franks will, initially, be used to help settle this.

Generally, I think that the Gothic state, although it will eventually go by the name Roman, is going to be much less centralized than the Roman Empire was. In fact, just by the neccesity of maintaining an army within the decaying Roman governmental structure, is going to lead to a further development of Manorialism within the developing Gothic realm.

I'm fairly positive that this would be both effective and realistic for the Ostrogoths, but do you have any comments about how it might relate to the Visigoths? I suspect that this may lead to a series of revolts by some discontent Visigothic nobles, initially, as they seem less open to a strong King.
Finally, I do have plans for the Suebi to, eventually be incorporated into the Gothic state, it certainly wouldn't occur under Theodemir. He is going to have hands full, as it is, and I suspect his authority in Hispania is going to be sketchy for a period of time. It would be interesting if they made some initialy gains in *Portugal. I have no desire for this to turn into a Goth-wank, and actually foresee that they are going to get turned back in certain area.

I have greatly enjoyed this thread so far.
Ihave been wondering if it is leading to an earlier version of the Holy Roman Empire and what the repercussions of the spread of Islam will be?

I have greatly enjoyed this thread so far.
Ihave been wondering if it is leading to an earlier version of the Holy Roman Empire and what the repercussions of the spread of Islam will be?

Thanks for the comments! I plan on having a new update up tonight, for those following this. As for your questions ... well, I will say that we do end up with a *Western Roman Empire, but it is very different in structure to the Holy Roman Empire of OTL. For that matter, its also different than that of the Western Roman Empire that preceeded it as well.
As for Islam. Well, its important to point out that the POD of this timeline is in the 490s, and Muhammad wasn't even born until 570. i do foresee some very interesting events for the Arab people, however.

Yes, i hoped one day to see Gothic Spanish and Italians kicking the ass to their neighbours...:D

...and one day to see the Empire of Gothia be more great of that of Rome.

I don't know how you will develop the TL, but IMO i hope to see a steampunk-type industrialization, maybe because it seemed sounds well with the Goths...

And naturally, in a Gothic TL is necessary to see Gothic type characters. ;)

There was a programme of estate sharing between noble Goths and Romans in Italy? That is interesting

It was part of the settling program that the Romans had used for previous Federates in the Empire. From my reading, it seems to have been a temporary living arrangement, until things were able to get straightened out in more detail. Despite the, relatively, good relations between Goths and Romans under Theodoric, it did cause a small amount of hard feelings between the two groups at first.
We saw some of these feelings bubble over during the first few years of Theodemir's reign, with the initially rebellion by some Romans and their allies amongst the Amalings. I figure that since it occured so early in his reign, the rebellion ends up being a very influential moment in the young King's life, and something which he continues to draw lessons from in the future. This becomes all the more pressing after he assumes the throne of the Visigoths as well, and is tasked with melding the two Kingdoms together, and maintaining the relations between his Gothic and Roman subjects.
Luckily, Theodoric left some interesting innovations in place that can be built off ...

Chapter 5: Engineering and Empire
Chapter 5: Engineering and Empire

Chapter 5: Engineering an Empire
“States are not based on military victory alone, but by the rule of law and wisdom of wise kings.” – Statement attributed to Theodemir the Great

Toulouse, Capital of Visigothic Kingdom

May, 533 CE

Theodemir stood proudly on the shield, as the assembled Visigothic soldiers raised him above their heads. A soft breeze blew through the streets of the Visigothic capital, catching his long hair, so that it billowed behind him like a trail of smoke. The assembled nobles, responsible for the election of the new king, let out a hearty cheer which was soon picked up by the mixed gothic-roman crowd who can come to view the event.

Theodemir raised his hand to signal the crowd to quiet. Although having been taken aback by the decision of the nobles to elect him as King, he had quickly overcome his shock. It had been the policy of the Amlings to mediate the unification of the two Gothic kingdoms for several generations now. Although he had planned for it to occur during the reign of his oldest son Theodebert, Theodemir had always believed that one should be ready to exploit every opportunity given. The loss of Amalaric had hit him hard, but through his cousin’s death, the two kingdoms could now, finally, be united. The Merovings had, inadvertently, united their southern foes, and would pay dearly for their crimes in the future.

“My fellow Goths”, Theodemir began as the crowd once again roared its approval, “and my fellow Romans, too.” The roar, this time, was deafening. “It is with the gravest heart that I accept your call that I assume the crown of the Visigoths. Many of you know me from the past, for it was I who came to help tutor Amalaric, your former king, and helped oversee this grand land, until he was capable of doing so himself. It grieves me that he is not here, now, and that we were raising toasts to our victory over the Merovings. But, he died fulfilling his duties of King, defending the people of this realm from the ruthless aggression of those who would break the peace for their own personal gain.”

“Know this. I take the throne with the full respect that the traditions of this land, and these people, deserve. Together, we shall march forward from the tragedies of the past. We are partners, and when we work in concord, as we did in the past, there is nothing that our peoples cannot accomplish. Let this mark the beginning a partnership between the Goths of the West, the Goths of the East, and the Roman people of this land, as well.”

If he had been a younger man, in his twenties, we would have been overwhelmed by the surging energies of the crowd. Even now, at nearly four decades of age, it was difficult to not get swept away by the emotions of that evening. But that would be a mistake. Although his was popular now, Theodemir understood how popularity could ebb and flow over time. There would be many who would oppose his efforts to draw the two Gothic nations together, and the reforms that he would be forced to enact. But those efforts would be necessary, if the Goths were to grow and prosper.

As he was lowered from the shield, Theodemir allowed himself a silent sigh, and cast his gaze back over his shoulder. When it become evident that he would be elected as King of the Visigoths, he had sent for Theodebert, hoping for the boy to be present for the occasion. But he and his mother had yet to arrive. His son was only 9 years old, but it would not be too early to introduce his heir to the Visigoths, for it would be under him that the two Kingdoms would become merged into one.

It was a shame he could not be present, but an unavoidable one. There would be time to do the necessary work, such as officially arranging a marriage for the boy, in the future. Now was the time to celebrate his ascension, in a typically Gothic fashion, and begin laying the framework for the future. And then, finally, he would be able to avenge the death of his cousin. Business, as they say, before pleasure.

Government in Early Germanic Europe
By: Lotar Van Scheldt
Trans: Cuthert Asholt
Antwerp: National University of Frankreich Publishing, 2001

Chapter 3: The Early Gothic State
The reforms enacted by Theodemir the Great had such a great impact upon the future Gothic state, that many have credited him as being the true founder of Gothland. This is patently absurd, the modern state of Gothland developed over a course of centuries following the collapse of their Empire, and is akin to claiming that Julius Caesar was the founder of the Italian Republic. However, it would be equally foolish to deny that Theodemir’s reign did not have a significant impact upon the development of the Gothic people during their initially settlement in what was then northern Italia and Aquitaine. In fact, the governmental structure which he engineered can be seen as largely responsible for the Goths’ successes throughout the 6th and 7th centuries.

The first several years of Theodemir’s reign saw him largely maintaining the same structure that had been forged by his father, Theodoric, with only minimal changes. The greatest innovation which he introduced during this time was the ordering of the translation of important Greek and Roman works into Gothic. Theodemir also invited the children of nobles to come to the palace at Ravenna to study from these translated works. As Goths, save members of the royal family, had been forbidden from pursuing a Roman education since the time of Theodoric, this would become the only legitimate avenue of education for Goths. This royal school would eventually evolve into the Ravenna Academy during the reign of Theodemir and his immediate successors.

With the ascension of Theodemir to the kingship of the Visigoths, the King faced the first great administrative challenge of his reign. Although the two kingdoms would not officially be united under Theodemir, the ties which he built between the realms would prove instrumental to their eventual merger under Amalaric I.

Despite the boost of prestige to the Amaling line that Theodemir’s dual kingship provided, ruling two kingdoms was not without its challenges. Although the Roman governmental structure remained functioning in Italy, it remained much weaker in the lands of the Visigoths. Prior to assuming the throne of the Ostrogoths, Theodemir had been acting regent for the Visigoths and was well aware of the way in which that government functioned. However, he remained dedicated to establishing the pattern of governance which he Father had built in Italy. This quickly began to sap Theodemir’s resources, as he attempted to expand his control throughout much of Western Europe. This necessitated far reaching reforms across his two realms.

The first of Theodemir’s great reforms was to establish the two realms of East and West Gothland. In the East, this comprised the lands of Northern Italy from the River Arno in the South to the Alps in the north. West Gothland was to contain the region of the Erbo River in southeast Hispania, as well as the lands of southern Aquitaine around the capital of Toulouse. Gothic settlements were to be restricted to within only these regions and those lands would be ruled only by Gothic law.

The creation of East and West Gothland did not represent a dramatic change to the status quo, but rather the official recognition of the lay of the land. At this point Gothic settlements still remained largely within the boundaries which Theodemir officially recognized. The restriction of settlement outside of these lands served the king’s purpose in two important ways. First, it concentrated the Goths to two localities, greatly limiting the chance of their eventual diffusion and assimilation into the larger Roman cultural sphere. In doing so, he was simply continuing the policies of his father to their logical conclusion. Secondly, it restrained the nobility to given territories, thereby allowing the King to consolidate his power to a greater extent. This was in response to a growing problem in the Visigothic lands, where nobles would flee to southern and central Hispania to escape the control of Toulouse.

The establishment of East and West Gothland would prove to be one of the most monumental events which allowed for the eventual expansion of the Gothic state. The decision to restrict the practice of Gothic and Roman law to distinct geographic boundaries marked a shift in the evolution of the Germanic kingdoms in former Roman lands, where previously, the law was determined by the ethnicity of the individual. It also led to the creation of the Codex Gothum, which was to apply to the Gothic lands of both the Ostrogoths and Visigoths, and was heavily based off of the Euric Code. Theodemir set out to finally settle the last of the land issues left over from the initial settlement of the Ostrogoths. Using the gold obtained by tribute from the Franks, the King bought out the last of the Roman landlords in the lands of Goths and redistributed it to his supporters. [FN1]

The final reform of Theodemir during the first 15 years of his reign dealt specifically with Italy. The rebellion of the Romans during the first year of his realm had left a lasting impact upon the King. Although he enjoyed good relations with the Romans of Italy from that time onward, he also understood that their good graces were required for the stability of his kingdom. As a result, he chose to expand the powers of the Roman Senate, giving them limited administrative duties across all of Italy, south of East Gothland. This not only increased the loyalty of the Romans to the King, but also allowed him to turn his attention elsewhere, which would become a necessity following his further conquests in Gaul. [FN2]

The Life of Theodemir the Great
Wulfila Strabo
Trans. Athelrad Edwardson
London: National University of England Publishing, 1964

Theodemir’s reforms greatly excited members of the nobility, especially those in the West, who had become used to the light hand of previous kings. These nobles feared the just hand of the King, fearing he would punish them for the excesses which they routinely took part in against their subjects, both Goth and Roman. Turning away from the true king, they began to plot treason. Meeting in the city of Toledo they elected on of their own number, a certain Hermenegild, to be their king and set about attempting to overthrow Theodemir.

In the 10th year of his reign [538 CE] those rose up against him and caused much mischief in the lands of Hispania, drawing much support from the larger land holders in West Gothland. Theodemir quickly responded to their threat, and set out, defeating them outside of Toulouse that year. However, he a king who believed in justice and mercy, and agreed to pardon those rebels who agreed to swear an oath of allegiance to him, even sparing Hermenegild, who he exiled to a monastery, sparing his life if that man would choose the cloister over the manor.

Theodemir’s mercy was wasted on these wicked men. A year later, the most obstinate of them rebelled again, this time choosing Athalbert to lead them into battle. Once again our king met them in battle, this time at Narbo, where they ambushed Theodemir, and would have destroyed his army had it not been for Theodahad, Rieks of Liguria and cousin to the king, who gave his life while repelling the rebels. Our king mourned for his relative and vowed to return with a force to destroy the rebels once and for all. [FN3]

In the 12th year of his reign, Theodemir returned. The rebels during this time had made their capital at Toledo, and expanded their control throughout much of Southern West Gothland, holding the lands on the south shore of the Ebro River. However, they were unable to withstand the might of his army, which he commanded with the help of his son Theodebert. Together they were able to push the rebels back and place Toledo under siege. That winter was brutal on both sides, but the next April there was a revolt in the city, and the citizens threw the gates open to the King’s forces. The rebels were viciously dealt with, and Athalbert himself was executed and his head sent back to Toulouse as a trophy.

However, some of the rebels had managed to escape the city before it fell, and they made their way to the lands of the Suibi, where they continued to harass Theodemir for many years, helping that people expand their realm further to the south into Lusitania.

Ravenna, Capital of the Ostrogothic Kingdom
October, 543 CE

Theodemir cursed lowly to himself. Ever since he had been raised to the throne of the Visigoths, he had made it his practice of spending the summer months in Toulouse, before returning to Ravenna for the winter. This had become all the more important since the revolts of Hermenegild and Athalbert four years earlier. But, ever since Toledo and that horrid siege, his joints had begun to act up as winter’s chill set in. He knew the legends of his people, and knew they had originally hailed from far in the north, and on days like this he sincerely wondered how his ancestors had managed to deal with the cold.

It was not his joints, today, that were causing his irritable mood. “It should have arrived by now,” he said! His tone of voice must have carried more edge to it than he had intended, because he noticed several of his advisors flinch away.

“Perhaps the tribute is just held up”, Bonaventure, one of his chief Comes said. “Clothair has been late with his tribute in the past.”

Theodemir shook his head. His hair, once a thick mane of blond had begun to grow grey and was thinning on his crown, whipped through the air, exaggerating gesture. “He has been late in the past, yes, but never this late. It was always just soon enough that he could claim that it had been delayed by this excuse or that. His brothers’ gold had all arrived as planned back in April. No, that bastard is up to something. I can feel it. Didn’t even one of the old Roman historians once say that the Franks weren’t to be trusted?”

“Father, if I may speak?”

The king looked over at Theodebert, his eldest son. He smiled as he remembered the boy’s wide-eyed response when he had seen Toulouse, back when he had first arrived in that city. He was no boy now, but rather a strapping man in his prime, at the age of the 19. In many ways, he was the spitting image of his father, but had the cold grey eyes of his Mother.

“Yes, son, what is it?”

“Clothair may be trying to break our treaty of the last decade, but there might also be over circumstances. I’ve heard that he has been having some difficulties with the Burgundians. Rather than jump to conclusions, perhaps we should send a small party to Soissons? He would never violate the rules of hospitality, it would hurt his standing amongst his brothers too much, and a small force might intimidate him into giving us our due.”

Theodemir nodded slowly. It was just the sort of plan that he would expect from his eldest, bold, but logical. But he had his misgivings. “It’s too risky. If Clothair is determined to break his treaty with us, than I would fear for the safety of whoever was sent, and I suspect you are volunteering to lead this mission?”

Theodebert smiled, “It is only a risk if we act foolishly. And who says the mission is about the tribute? We all know that there is bad blood between our families, but doesn’t Clothair have a daughter who is of marrying age? Brunhilde, I believe is her name. And it is well time that you arranged a marriage for Amalaric.”

The King nodded, “So, you suggest we go under the cover of seeking her hand in marriage for your brother? It might work, and it would be good to settle our feud if possible, although I still burn for what he did to my cousin.”

“Yes, Father, and they equally burn after you slew their father.”

Theodemir shot a glare at his son. His killing of Clovis had been one of the worst mistakes of his life, and it continued to cause his pain decades later. It was alienated his own mother and sister, led to the death of his cousin, and cost the lives of countless members of is army.

“I’m sorry Father, I spoke out of turn. I was simply saying that there are wounds on both sides, and the best way to heal them would be through marriage. And, furthermore, if that was out excuse for the visit, they wouldn’t question our sending an honor guard there to help me negotiate the deal.”

Theodemir sighed, “You are as headstrong as I am, Theodebert. Don’t let it lead you down the wrong paths, as I occasionally am. But, your plan makes sense. Gather you’re people. You won’t be able to begin until after Winter passes, so you have some time to plan. But I want you to bring Wulfila with you. He’s been your friend since you were young, and I would feel safer if he was there to advise you.”

“Thank you Father,” Theodebert said, “I hope to make you proud. One way or another I’ll bring an end to this feud between ourselves and the Merovings.”

[FN1] The Euric Code was the first law code of any of the Germanic peoples, having been compiled for the Visigoths a few years before the Ostrogoths even arrived in Italy. It was a blending of traditional Visigothic law with some influence from the Code of Theodosius. Among other things, it codified the stratification between the Roman population and the Visigoths. Theodemir’s code is heavily based off of it, but is slightly less harsh on the Roman population in East and West Gothland, although a certain stratification still exists.

Among aspects of it that I did not touch on in the main post, for instance, is a law that a Roman man may not marry a Gothic woman, for fear that the children would take after their father. However a Gothic man may marry a Gothic woman for the same reason. It also creates, by extension, eliminates any chance of a Roman inheriting Gothic lands through marriage.

[FN2] This is not without precedent. Prior to the fall of the Western Roman Empire, the Roman Senate was a dying institution. However, Theodoric gave them more power, allowing them to serve as advisors to himself, greatly increasing the Senate’s prestige, and returning it to an advisory body like it had been under the earlier Roman Emperors. The Senate’s disappearance in OTL seems to have come about as a result of the collapse of the Gothic kingdom in the Gothic Wars. It makes sense that Theodemir, in his current situation, would choose to continue, and expand upon, the policies of his father.

[FN3] The sacrifice of Theodahad will end up becoming a central incident in the story cycle of Theodemir the Great, much as the death of Roland became in the Charlemagne Cycle in OTL. I felt Theodahad deserved a better end than the one he got in real life, at any rate. Another event that will find its way into stories is just around the corner.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

And so ends my longest chapter yet. I apologize for the length of it, but if I'm going to go forward with this, I needed to at least begin to describe the internal transformation of the Gothic kingdoms, and hint as to how they will develope in the future. I could go into more detail, but the post was becoming excessively long as it was. I plan on returning to the topic in future posts.

I hope you enjoyed the newest update. I expect to have the next one up soon. I apologize for the length between the last chapter and this one, I felt that I needed to do some more research into the structure of the Ostrogoths before I could move foreward.

As usually, any and all comments or questions are welcome!

Zioneer

Banned
Interesting stuff; Theodemir's definitely making sure his empire will survive after him. I have a feeling that the visit to the Merovings will not go as planned.

Good stuff as always, though I have to question the wisdom of empowering the Roman Senate so much.

I don't really like Gothland as the name of the nation though. Gothia or something similar sounds a lot better.