The Alternate History Syllabus Challenge!

University of Wisconsin School of Transportation Economics

Transportation Economics 250
Professor L. Beebe
Course Title: The Consolidation of American Railroads (3 credits)
Prerequisite: American Railroad Development, 1828-1914
This course will cover the development of the "Public Plan" that became the Railroad Consolidation Act of 1931, and the effects on the American railroad system through 1941.
Section I: M W F 1:00-1:55
Section II: T R 18:30-20:00

Course materials will be drawn from ICC reports, and issues of the Railway Age Gazette that will be made available through the Reserve Library Online. Other material will be drawn for the following books:
The Performance of the USRA in the Great War, W.G. McAdoo
Tentative Plan for the Consolidation of the Railroads Into a Limited Number of Systems, W.Z. Ripley
From 47 to 20 to 9, The Progression of the Plan to Build America's Railroad Systems, B. W. Heineman
The Eastern Trunk Line Question, L.F. Loree
The Railroad Consolidation Act of 1931-Its Promises, Problems, and Performance, W.D. Middleton
Industrial Economy and Transportation Efficiency, H. Hoover
This class will be focused on lectures and in class discussion; therefor, attendance is a must! There will be two midterm examss, each worth 30% of your grade; and a final exam worth 40%.

Transportation Law 300
Professor L. Beebe
Course Title: Legal Development of Railroad Consolidation (3 credits)
Prerequisite: The Consolidation of American Railroads
This course will cover the court cases coincidental to the Railroad Consolidation Act of 1931.
Section I: T R 14:00-15:25
Section II: M W 10:30-12:00

Course materials wil be drawn from the following books:
Northern Securities, Sherman Anti Trust, and the Public Plan: Railroad Competition, Cooperation, and Cartelization in America, 1890-1931, R. Young
Selected Court Cases Implementing the 1931 Railroad Act, A. Martin
British and Canadian Railroad Legislation After the Great War, D.B. Mitchell
The Public Plan: The Dark Horse That Became American Transportation Policy, L. Hill, Jr.

Grading will be based on a midterm and final exam, each worth 25% of the final grade. In addition, a term paper examining some aspect of the various federal court cases involved in the implementation of the 1931 Railroad Consolidation Act will be the basis of the remaining 50%.

Last edited:
Had an idea I might do something with inspired by Pirate Utopia where Futurism survives in Fiume but doesn't catch on worldwide, so the Balkans just descend into Red Flood-levels of goddamn weird but nowhere else does 😂 I needed a plausible non-ASB scenario where the Scholomance was an institute of higher learning! Also thought an ecology class about the impact of a successful Hippo Bill could be cool 🤔