The all-purpose GIS Thread

VT45

Banned
So I figured I'm probably not the only person here that uses QGIS, so I figured I'd make this thread. Here you can post GIS resources, help with GIS, finding and generating resources.

Reason I'm making this thread right now is I need some altitude rasters for Greenland and Antarctica without their ice. I've found plenty of maps, but I don't know how to take those and turn them into usable rasters.

VT45

Banned
Massachusetts has their GIS data site here. Most pages have tables explaining what every different variable stands for and allows you to create your own style map. I've noticed many other states don't do this, but it looks like they might be using some sort of standard style sheet set up. No idea what it is or where it would be.

Funny, just started an Intro to GIS course last week. For those who have used GIS, would you say it's an effective resource for making high-quality maps, or would a program like Inkscape be better for that? From what I've seen just this past week GIS makes it quick and easy to represent raw data in map form, but I'm afraid the quality and availability of more artistic tools may be lacking. Are there any programs that are more heavily cartography-focused as opposed to data-focused that one could transfer a GIS template to?

Edit: Also, if this thread garners enough attention I'd say it deserves to be pinned.

Just the interface of GIS
QGIS looks like this:
QGISscreen3.png

While ArcMap (a different platform) looks like this:

Funny, just started an Intro to GIS course last week. For those who have used GIS, would you say it's an effective resource for making high-quality maps, or would a program like Inkscape be better for that? From what I've seen just this past week GIS makes it quick and easy to represent raw data in map form, but I'm afraid the quality and availability of more artistic tools may be lacking. Are there any programs that are more heavily cartography-focused as opposed to data-focused that one could transfer a GIS template to?

Edit: Also, if this thread garners enough attention I'd say it deserves to be pinned.
I've used it for basemaps and really simple elections maps. You can project your shapefiles however you like and produce very detailed images. That's how I made my basemap of Massachusetts, for example:

There is room for artistic display on Q and other platforms, but I don't know how far you can push it versus what you could do in Inkscape.

Deleted member 105545

QGIS looks like this:

While ArcMap (a different platform) looks like this:

I've used it for basemaps and really simple elections maps. You can project your shapefiles however you like and produce very detailed images. That's how I made my basemap of Massachusetts, for example:

There is room for artistic display on Q and other platforms, but I don't know how far you can push it versus what you could do in Inkscape.
Thanks!

VT45

Banned
I need GIS data for an ice-free Greenland and Antarctica. Do these exist? If so where could I find them?

I've got my GIS data on the US pretty much taken care of, but anyone got good detailed stuff for Mexico, Canada, the UK, and/or the rest of Europe for transportation, urban, and political detail? I am...really bad at Googling for GIS shapefiles :oops:

I've got my GIS data on the US pretty much taken care of, but anyone got good detailed stuff for Mexico, Canada, the UK, and/or the rest of Europe for transportation, urban, and political detail? I am...really bad at Googling for GIS shapefiles :oops:

I'm gonna bring attention to this again, since I have the same problems and I would not think that creating a new thread would be better since there would be two thread about the same argument