Texas the Great

All in good time, young padawan, we still have twenty years to cover. Tomorrow, I'll tackle both elections, the gold rush, butterflies worldwide, etc.

Very good. On the discovery of Oil. Just move it up a bit. There was an oil boom going on in Pennsylvania in the 1850's why not Texas? What will be going on with the Civil War? Texas on the side of the North?

I always theorized that Texas would play the role of a friendly neutral to the South. They wouldn't get directly involved, but they'd let European arms and munitions come through Galveston and Southern cotton go out while profitting as the middle man.

Not to mention when/if this smaller south loses, Texas may witness a population boom as a lot of southerners(with their slaves) may head west rather than live under Reconstruction occupation.

I've been in a crazy mappy mood lately...

Bruce

GreatTexas.png

Last edited:
Nice map. Though two nitpicks. West Virignia isn't a state yet and the Oregon territory is still claimed by both the US and Britain.

Still, been awhile since I've seen a good Texaswank! :D

So...van Buren was re-elected in '40 despite the national economy collapsing in '37 because of early and vigorous support for Texas? I'm not sure that's enough...I suppose we can say that a new Texas Bubble keeps things going long enough to get to the election, but Nicholas Biddle (director of the National Bank) was a psychotic piece of work and he's hard to get around. I can certainly see van B. supporting Texas this way, though - the benefits of American expansion without the pesky necessity of adding slave states, to his mind. (maybe we all got lucky with a sleeper PoD and someone shot Biddle in '36?)