Terra Nova

What did everyone think of Terra Nova? I thought that it was interesting, but one thing that kept bugging me through out the premiere was the weaponry. I realize that not everyone is going to be carrying around the weapons necessary to to take down a T-rex or a Brontosaur, but I didn't see the guns that the colonists had doing a whole lot of anything to any dinosaur.

When I first heard the premise, the first thing I wondered is why they would go back to before the dinosaurs became extinct? There are plently of safer places to colonize.

whats the point of colonising the planet before you know somthing is going to happen that will wipe out most life?

whats the point of colonising the planet before you know somthing is going to happen that will wipe out most life?

From what I read Terra Nova s not *our* earth so the scientists might have made sure, somehow, that the colony will be protected. Either that or scientists there are dickheads.

The weapons aren't really meant to kill, only maim.

@Valdis The crack in time only went to that time period. Plus they have twenty million years until the extinction event.

I liked the show and the premise; what bugged me was that they plainly did research and specificly set in the Jurrasic and yet they still put a Carnotaurus in the show even though it did not evolve until the Cretaceous era. They could easily have had a similar preditor from the same era like Ceratosaurus or the larger and more power carnosaur Allosaurus Fragilis.

I liked the show and the premise; what bugged me was that they plainly did research and specificly set in the Jurrasic and yet they still put a Carnotaurus in the show even though it did not evolve until the Cretaceous era. They could easily have had a similar preditor from the same era like Ceratosaurus or the larger and more power carnosaur Allosaurus Fragilis.

It's an alternate timeline, remember? ;)

Why not post 65 MYA? You get everything of the modern day, but with a warmer climate.
From a OOC standpoint? Because the creatures of the Mesozoic (Dinosaurs and other great lizards) have a larger impact on the public consciousness then those of the Cenzoic. Say Brontosaurus or Tyranosaurus and most people will both know what you mean and probably think "Cool". Say Paraceratheriumor or Smilodon and they won't have a clue.

From an IC standpoint? That''s just where it goes.

Angry v. dead?

The weapons aren't really meant to kill, only maim.

So, it's better to have an angry predator around than a dead one? I realize that it is Hollywood morality, but what kind of sense does that make. Besides, wouldn't they be better off at least varying the diet from the vegetarian only?

I thought it was really cool until the dinosaurs showed up.

Despite the hist inaccuracies, which I can overlook, what bothered me most is how EVIL the dinos are. There shouldn't be much of a difference on how a top predator from then and a top predator from now would act. If you shoot in the general direction of a bengal tiger the animal is going decide hunting you is not a good idea, and I'll likely to run away no matter how hungry he is. Here the dinosaurs seem to be able to dodge bullets and smarter than their human prey (not to mention that they should not be able to recognize a mutant as prey since we would smell and look unlike anything they are adapted or have experience, but I can forgive that as a technicality).

The dinos also look really fake, which doesn't help their case.

Other than that I think it is a great concept. I like the characters and the character dynamics. So I do have hopes for it now that the next few episodes won't have as much CGI due to lower budgets and thus having to recur to suspense and not showiness. Meaning that they'll be following spielberg's original formula of not showing the shark.

But then you simply end up with another show similar to Lost. This kind of setting would provide plenty of subplots but a show can't thrive on subplots alone. Interpersonal relationships and political intrigue are subplots to the a main idea. Terra Nova without the dinosaurs would be like BSG without the Cylons, kinda pointless.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
One of the very few things that actually makes a bit of sense is that the predators have zero fear of humans and human weapons. A Bengal will haul ass away from the sound of a gunshot because it has learned that gunshot = bad things. Dinos haven't had that chance yet.

Despite the hist inaccuracies, which I can overlook, what bothered me most is how EVIL the dinos are. There shouldn't be much of a difference on how a top predator from then and a top predator from now would act. If you shoot in the general direction of a bengal tiger the animal is going decide hunting you is not a good idea, and I'll likely to run away no matter how hungry he is. Here the dinosaurs seem to be able to dodge bullets and smarter than their human prey (not to mention that they should not be able to recognize a mutant as prey since we would smell and look unlike anything they are adapted or have experience, but I can forgive that as a technicality).

The dinos also look really fake, which doesn't help their case.

Other than that I think it is a great concept. I like the characters and the character dynamics. So I do have hopes for it now that the next few episodes won't have as much CGI due to lower budgets and thus having to recur to suspense and not showiness. Meaning that they'll be following spielberg's original formula of not showing the shark.

Faeelin

Banned
One of the very few things that actually makes a bit of sense is that the predators have zero fear of humans and human weapons. A Bengal will haul ass away from the sound of a gunshot because it has learned that gunshot = bad things. Dinos haven't had that chance yet.

Do most animals in the wild try to eat things that they aren't familiar with?

One thing I noticed that hasn't been mentioned by anyone about the Future parts, did you notice whose face was on the money? If Obama does turn out to be a one term president, or his second term goes aswell as his first, that will date the series in record time.

From a OOC standpoint? Because the creatures of the Mesozoic (Dinosaurs and other great lizards) have a larger impact on the public consciousness then those of the Cenzoic. Say Brontosaurus or Tyranosaurus and most people will both know what you mean and probably think "Cool". Say Paraceratheriumor or Smilodon and they won't have a clue.

The public needs more education on the wierd and awesome creatures of the Cenozoic.