Ten Years War TL

The war on the European mainland is more brutal in terms of loss of life, but I'm still trying to justify the financial aspect. I have France pulling out of India completely DURING the war as a selloff measure and throwing the troops that were there into the European theater. But yes, Ten Years War meaning the same war, just declared earlier and lasting a touch or two longer. The Battle of Hastenbeck goes the other way, for starters. This has a huge ripple effect.

I have to be honest here. My POD for this WHOLE timeline is Marco Polo brings a rudimentary printing press back with him from his travels because he enters Korea and not just China. So what you've read is the beginning of like, part 7? I just started with the era of history in this timeline that I knew more about...looking to turn this whole thing into a book...I just need to flesh out some character identities and some dialogue. I should be finished with this project in about 458 years. I'm married and have a son on the way this month, so this will likely be a WIP for a long time.

Curious to know if there are any suggestions for this thread: what you like, what you dislike, what's right, what's wrong, etc. I know a lot can't be done with just a sample of a sample, but I'm still open to input.

I have to be honest here. My POD for this WHOLE timeline is Marco Polo brings a rudimentary printing press back with him from his travels because he enters Korea and not just China. So what you've read is the beginning of like, part 7? I just started with the era of history in this timeline that I knew more about...looking to turn this whole thing into a book...I just need to flesh out some character identities and some dialogue. I should be finished with this project in about 458 years. I'm married and have a son on the way this month, so this will likely be a WIP for a long time.

I would think a POD in the 1200s would spur big changes in the 13th and 14th century and not in the 18th century.

I would think a POD in the 1200s would spur big changes in the 13th and 14th century and not in the 18th century.

The butterflies of Marco Polo discovering a crude printing press are mindblowing in how the Roman Catholic Church is forced to interact with the new device. The effects are far-reaching. Hopefully not far-fetched. I'm semi-prepared to be pidgeon-holed into the ASB universe, but ideally my LARGE timeline will be as plausible as possible.

The war on the European mainland is more brutal in terms of loss of life, but I'm still trying to justify the financial aspect. I have France pulling out of India completely DURING the war as a selloff measure and throwing the troops that were there into the European theater.

Sorry but this point is an absolute nonsense.

India in the 18th century was the equivalent of the whole arabic peninsula today (without the terrorist problem). Nobody would have willingly pulled out of India.

Sorry but this point is an absolute nonsense.

India in the 18th century was the equivalent of the whole arabic peninsula today (without the terrorist problem). Nobody would have willingly pulled out of India.

This is why I enjoy receiving input, because I admittedly don't know enough about the Carnatic Wars as I'd like to, and finding information on it is next to impossible. Do you know of any good resources on it? Public libraries just don't carry anything this specific.

The butterflies of Marco Polo discovering a crude printing press are mindblowing in how the Roman Catholic Church is forced to interact with the new device. The effects are far-reaching. Hopefully not far-fetched. I'm semi-prepared to be pidgeon-holed into the ASB universe, but ideally my LARGE timeline will be as plausible as possible.

I know, but 500 years?

I know, but 500 years?

I like to think of the effects of a printing press appearing 100 years earlier being a rather monumental achievement, especially if Polo just kind of happens upon it. For one thing, the Protestant Reformers at least partially depended upon printing their material in mass quantities. For example, I believe John Wycliffe and his Lollards might have gained a stronger foothold in England had he had access to a reliable means of printing. The extrapolations from there are virtually endless, especially if the Lollard movement "sticks" somehow. Who knows, by the time Henry VIII takes the throne (if he does, given the butterflies), could he possibly be a full-blown Protestant king?

Not sure I've ever seen that one before - I think the butterflies are pretty big by the 1750s.... The really interesting thing is that it throws printing into the 14th Century Crisis. The Jacquire and some of the other revolts in France during that period could get interesting.

It might not be a plausible POD for the Seven Years war - but it's one hell of a POD earlier. And a bit more sticky than the typical "Prince X lives longer" or "the design of the standard longsword is eight millimeters longer."

A printing press in the 13th century would flap so many butterfly wings that the world would be unrecongizable 500 years later. The idea that you have anything approaching OTL with a POD that long ago is ludicrous. One might as well have a conversation if Rome during Augustus develops a working steam engine, does that help Dukakis beat Bush in '88?

Okay, then how would you suggest the world of the 1750s would look had the printing press been developed 100 years earlier?

Not sure I've ever seen that one before - I think the butterflies are pretty big by the 1750s.... The really interesting thing is that it throws printing into the 14th Century Crisis. The Jacquire and some of the other revolts in France during that period could get interesting.

It might not be a plausible POD for the Seven Years war - but it's one hell of a POD earlier. And a bit more sticky than the typical "Prince X lives longer" or "the design of the standard longsword is eight millimeters longer."

What I've written is one small part of what I plan on developing. I began in the middle, in a place where I could start from and I'll be working out from there both before and after. It's just part of my process. I never work in a linear pattern.

Completely different. They might have 1800s technology in the 1700s.

I'm doing what I can to adjust population growth along the lines of 100 years of acceleration. Someone earlier asked why France was doing so well when they had much fewer colonists in North America. I'm prepared to account for the reasons there and attribute it largely to the printing press.