Tail-Gunner in the Pilot's Seat 2.0

Hi

Do I post comments on Numbers here or in the Numbers thread?

Anyway:

They stick out like drops of mercury on a piece of black velvet; after all, they’re the only whites in the place.

Damon Runyon meets Raymond Chandler:)

But it gets much darker from there. It also has echos of The Plot Against America.

This is a riveting story, with a style all its own.

R

¡ Hi ! grat timeline by the way:), i am spanish speaker sorry for the mistakes, sometimes the victories create a better personalities, and sometimes the defeats ara a hard way of learning for better, what about Cuban rebelion, ¿ that be an american defeat, and an early vietnam (no ofense, please) ?, because if the americans lose that fight maybe be a lesson for better:cool: about the limits of tolerance of other countries, and a lesson for improved certain areas of the army,etc...
About the science fiction movies of that era, i remember some kind of inocence and at the same time and high degree of paranoia against the other, like E.T., Comunists, etc... what about the movies, are moss naive or moss paranoic and darker:rolleyes:
And for last, what about the writters critics to the society, this people are more popular, or are working more "in the shadows", thanks four your time and good day:)

Wolfpaw

Banned
¡ Hi ! grat timeline by the way:), i am spanish speaker sorry for the mistakes
No problema. Puedo habler espanyol, entonces no te preocupes.
sometimes the victories create a better personalities, and sometimes the defeats ara a hard way of learning for better, what about Cuban rebelion, ¿ that be an american defeat, and an early vietnam (no ofense, please) ?, because if the americans lose that fight maybe be a lesson for better:cool: about the limits of tolerance of other countries, and a lesson for improved certain areas of the army,etc...
About the science fiction movies of that era, i remember some kind of inocence and at the same time and high degree of paranoia against the other, like E.T., Comunists, etc... what about the movies, are moss naive or moss paranoic and darker:rolleyes:
Voy a mencionar todos despues de un gran cambio social que va a ocurrir pronto.
And for last, what about the writters critics to the society, this people are more popular, or are working more "in the shadows", thanks four your time and good day:)
No estoy cierto que estas preguntando aqui. Puedes clarificar?

Yes, what about try to say about the writters, is the writters crittics to the actual system are more free to say the society dark facts and crttics for example in national newspapers, or are hidden more in the shadows and his works are, for example pamplets, documents who are given in universities, etc... i have the feeling that the writers are working in the shadows, by pseudonymous, but ironically the works are beggining be knowledge in some gropus like young people, universities, etc...
Thanks four yout magninficent timeline and good day:)

Wolfpaw

Banned

Oct. 15, 1956

"A GOOD BOY" : PORTRAIT OF AN ASSASSIN

The attempted assassination of President McCarthythe crime charged to Luis Fernandez—must have been the act of a man who for a long time had kept them hidden, churning deep within himself. There was much in Fernandez's history, in his errant passion and allure for the subversive, that would point toward the deed that would rock the nation.

Luis was born in the town of Arecibo in February of 1935. His father, Jorge, a greengrocer, left Puerto Rico in 1936 to fight for the Republicans in the Spanish Civil War. He was killed outside of Madrid in December, leaving his wife, Elena Martin-Fernandez, to raise Luis on her own while struggling to maintain her husband's business.

Times were hard and Mrs. Fernandez sold the greengrocery. She moved back to her native village to be with her sister, Juana, and her extended family when Luis was only 2. By the time he was 5, Luis was already a model citizen.

"Other children adored him because he was so bright," his mother remembered after his arrest. And, near hysteria, she still summoned every ounce of a mother's will to remember only the good things about her son. "He learned to read by himself," she said, "before he even went to school. He was always wanting to know about important things."

Teachers and classmates remember Luis as "very popular," passionate and ambitious. From a young age he became enamored with the writings of Jose de Diego, Pedro Albizu Campos and other Puerto Rican nationalists.

"I still remember when he first opened de Diego's
Nuevas Campañas, el Plebiscito," his former teacher, Pablo Lechuga, said. "He was like a very religious man opening the Bible for the first time."

Just before his 17th birthday, Fernandez established a chapter of the Puerto Rican Nationalist Party for his village with himself as its head. "He was always bored and restless in school," his mother says. "He used to come home and say, 'I already know all of the things that they are teaching. Why bother with that?' Whenever he wasn't out with his friends he would write poetry. He writes such beautiful poems."

Some of those who knew him, however, remember him in a different light. "He was always trouble," recalled his uncle, Rodrigo Lizar. "He always had his head in the clouds. All he would ever talk about was the coming revolution against the 'Yankee oppressors,' and when he wasn't doing that he was off philandering with every girl in the village."

In April of 1954, Fernandez left the village to join in the protests following the arrest of Puerto Rico's Governor
Muñoz Marin. "He came back preening and showing off some scar he had gotten while he was there," remembers Mr. Lizar. "I do not think that he ever cared about what he put the family through when he snuck off without telling any of us. His mother was inconsolable! We were all very afraid for him."

Later that month, Fernandez led a group of teenagers to San Juan to join in the anti-American riots. Esperanza Perez-Arias, the mother of Fernandez's then-girlfriend, still blames him for her daughter's death. "It was his idea to take them all to San Juan," she says through tears. "He put all of the children in danger. If it had not been for him, my Carmen would still be alive!"

In the wake of the San Juan Riots, Luis disappeared. "He did not come back to the village like the others," says Mr. Lizar. "We thought he was dead, but nobody ever received a notice or anything. Elena [Mrs. Fernandez] refused to believe it until we received some official notification. We all thought he was dead."

After the San Juan Riots, Fernandez
like so many other PRNP chapter leaders—was a wanted man. At some point he made it off of the island and to New York City, by which time he was virtually unrecognizable. He had lost his left forearm to a gunshot wound suffered during the riots and had grown out his hair and beard. It is believed that he made contact with other radical Puerto Rican terrorist groups in New York City.

Fernandez's mother still does not believe that her son could have done such a thing. "He is a good boy," wails Mrs. Fernandez. "He would never kill the President! He is a good boy!" She says this despite Fernandez's claim that not only did he act alone, but that he was disappointed that he did not "avenge the boricua [Puerto Rican] blood that has been spilled by the tyrant in the White House and by the other Yankee imperialists."

When Mrs. Fernandez was informed of her son's statement, she continued sobbing and occasionally mumbled, "He would never do that. He is a good boy. He is a good boy."

Last edited:

Wolfpaw

Banned

Oct. 16, 1956

THE SUPREME COURT: A Real Pro

One day last week, New York's Federal Circuit Judge John Marshall Harlan was asked to pick the winner of the Yale-Princeton game. Princetonian Harlan paused, considered, smiled and said: "I don't want to commit myself." Such is the judicious nature of the man President McCarthyfrom the comfort of his hospital bedyesterday named to the U.S. Supreme Court to fill the vacancy caused by the retirement of Associate Justice Sherman Minton.

Last of the Chewers. Judge Harlan was bred to the law. His great-grandfather was a Kentucky lawyer, Congressman and state attorney general; his grandfather, for whom he was named, was an Associate Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court at 44. Known as the last of the tobacco-chewing judges, the first John Marshall Harlan wrote 703 majority opinions and a whopping 316 dissents in his 33 years, 10 months and 25 days on the bench. Best remembered today was his prophetic 1896 dissent in Plessy v. Ferguson. The court's majority found "separate but equal" facilities for colored people constitutional. Justice Harlan alone objected: "our Constitution is colorblind, and neither knows nor tolerates classes among citizens." Two years ago the U.S. Supreme Court finally got around to agreeing with him.

The new Justice was born in Chicago (where his father was an attorney and alderman) and attended private schools. At Princeton ('20), he was president of his class three years running and chairman of the Daily Princetonian (a staffer and still a friend: Adlai Stevenson). He won a Rhodes Scholarship (Balliol College), returned to attend New York Law School (class of '24), and rose to a full partnership in the distinguished Manhattan law firm of Root, Ballantine, Harlan, Bushby & Palmer. Among his most famous cases: the defense of DuPont family members against antitrust charges in connection with General Motors and U.S. Rubber holdings.

A Republican and a good friend of New York's retiring Governor Thomas E. Dewey (who is expected to join Harlan's old law firm), Harlan is not inclined to let politics interfere with his judgment, In 1951, as chief counsel of Dewey's State Crime Commission, he followed the first corruption-strewn leads to the Republican organization on Staten Island.

Youth & Experience. A man of dignity and good humor, Judge Harlan will bring to the Supreme Court a reverence for the law and trial-tested experience: he has been a Manhattan trial lawyer for 30 years.

His judicial experience is brief: President McCarthy appointed him only two years ago to the Second Circuit Court of Appeals embracing New York, Connecticut and Vermont. But this is more judicial experience than most of the present Justices of the U.S. Supreme Court had before they were appointed.— The legal profession and the judiciary were pleased that President McCarthy did not pay off a political I.O.U. with the Supreme Court appointment but chose Judge Harlan because, as one lawyer put it, he is "a real pro."

Last edited:
¡ WOW ! what a magnificent and epic imitation of magazines:), when i was a kid i remember see that style of writtings and format of the old magazines, your style are very closed to that era, ¡ good work !:)
In other ideas, what about rock and roll, we see that musical style like for example Elvis or we see a some kind of fast jazz like popular music for young people, and about movies, what be polemic some kind of movies like James Dean histories, or be more conservative the movie industry, thanks four your time and good luck:)

Wolfpaw

Banned
¡ WOW ! what a magnificent and epic imitation of magazines:), when i was a kid i remember see that style of writtings and format of the old magazines, your style are very closed to that era, ¡ good work !:)
In other ideas, what about rock and roll, we see that musical style like for example Elvis or we see a some kind of fast jazz like popular music for young people, and about movies, what be polemic some kind of movies like James Dean histories, or be more conservative the movie industry, thanks four your time and good luck:)
Que entusiasmado! Estoy muy halagado por tus palabras amables y por tu entusiasmo en general.

Otra vez, voy a mencionar todos de los aspectos culturales que van a trasformar en cima del clima mas conservador. Lo siento, pero debes esperar como todos los otros ;)

His father, Jorge, a greengrocer, was killed by German soldiers outside of Colmar, France, in February of 1945. Luis was born in July. His mother, Elena Martin-Fernandez, was forced to raise the boy on her own while struggling to maintain her husband's business.
Just before his 17th birthday, Fernandez established a chapter of the Puerto Rican Nationalist Party for his village with himself as its head.

Let's see, Luis was born in 1945 so his 17 birthday would be 1962 ...

Some of those who knew him, however, remember him in a different light. "He was always trouble," recalled his uncle, Rodrigo Lizar. "He always had his head in the clouds. All he would ever talk about was the coming revolution against the 'Yankee oppressors,' and when he wasn't doing that he was off philandering with every girl in the village."
In April of 1954, Fernandez left the village to join in the protests following the arrest of Puerto Rico's Governor Muñoz Marin.

In 1954, he would be nine years old - definitely an early developer :D.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Wolfpaw

Banned
[/FONT]

Let's see, Luis was born in 1945 so his 17 birthday would be 1962 ...
[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

In 1954, he would be nine years old - definitely an early developer :D.

Cheers,
Nigel.
Aw shit, didn't pay attention to me math (or lack thereof) :eek: I'll fix it.

Wolfpaw

Banned
In New York, Cohn got the news via a call from J. Edgar Hoover at about 9:50 p.m. Within the hour Roy notified Walter Winchell and George Sokolsky, commandeered an air force plane, and flew directly to Oklahoma City. From Washington, Ed Nellor also flew out, conferring first with Kiermas who desperately needed help in controlling the media frenzy.

After four hours of surgery, Dr. Eli T. Walsh emerged from the operating room and called for Cohn, Kiermas, and Nellor. The President's condition, Walsh reported to the overwrought courtiers, was "satisfactory."

Later, Dr. Walsh said, the first bullet had gone completely through McCarthy's chest, taking out part of the fifth rib and emerging just beneath the left shoulder blade. The second bullet had hit Joe's arm, nicking the brachial artery.

When finally allowed into the room, the trio was devastated to see the President as pale as the sheets, grimacing with pain, struggling to breathe. "Roy was really shaken by it," remembered Kiermas. "He looked like he was about to cry. I'd never seen Roy in such a state. For once he was at a complete loss."

The First Lady's surgery had lasted little over an hour. Fernandez's bullet had lodged itself in her left thigh, causing a compound fracture. Thankfully the thigh wound was trivial and Dr. Walsh assured Jean that the compound fracture would heal. When she was finally out of surgery, Jean demanded to see her husband. Kiermas and Cohn, fearful of adding yet more anxiety to the already impossible situation, pressured the hospital staff into refusing the First Lady's demands.

The next day, as Roy and Ray struggled behind the scenes, Ed Nellor took charge of press relations. Nellor's informative regular bulletins for the White House press corpswhich had transferred itself to Oklahoma City—contrasted with the silence that officially but not entirely successfully covered an arcane political power struggle in Washington.

With the vice presidency still vacant, Speaker of the House Joe Martin of Massachusetts was historically next in line to succeed McCarthy. Administration officials, particularly Foster Dulles, nevertheless feared that if Martin appeared to be taking power even on an emergency basis, his never-dormant pandering to the Old Guard would result in an even greater increase of its power in both the party and in the administration. Dulles scotched any delegation of presidential powers to anyone and privately urged Kiermas to stay at the Tail-Gunner's bedside to see to it that Cohn did not usurp the President's authority.

Conservative Republicans, notably Senator Styles Bridges of New Hampshire, urged the well-liked and ideologically malleable Martin to assume a sort of "acting president" role. After swiftly outmaneuvering Cohn's bumbling, moon-faced Deputy Chief of Staff, Frank Carr, Dulles became the de facto head of the administration and, with Bobby's help on Capitol Hill and Tom Korb's in the White House, fought desperately to contain the Old Guard and their influence in both Congress and the largely far-right Cabinet.

—Excerpt from Tail-Gunner: The Court of the American Nero, by P. J. Lykos

Last edited:
Very interesting update. I had forgotten that while Joe can get things through Congress, the majority of the Congress even the Republicans are not of his ilk, being more isolationist and less liberal on Civil Rights.

¡ WOW !, ¡ GOOD WORK !:).
Is very interesting to know the fights and conflicts when "the big head" is fallen, i have the idea that class of fight in the american democracy are less strong, but i was surprised that in the halls of power the fight for control and power was gigantic:eek::cool:.
About books what are the more popular sales, romantic or crime novels, because some inocence of that era i have the scary idea that romance books are the books whith more sales:eek:. Ad for last, what is the most polemic book selling in USA, maybe and attack against discrimination, or a novel with touch the polemic theme for that era (no ofense, please) of one interracial romance:D, or a critic of the war in hispanic countries, or an attack against the comunist paranoia, etc...
And finally, if i turn on the t.v. say is wensday and friday what i see in t.v., maybe midle class comedies, but how about news, how touch the polemic events and internal fights in américa. Thanks and good day:).

Wolfpaw

Banned
COMMONWEALTH OF PUERTO RICO
OFFICE OF THE MILITARY GOVERNOR
Fort Buchanan, P.R.

October 16, 1956
General Orders
No. 4

By virtue of the power vested in me as Military Governor, the following policy governing the trial of civilians by Military Commission and Provost Courts is announced for the information and guidance of all concerned:

1.Military commissions and provost courts shall have power to try and determine any case involving any offense committed against the laws of the United States, the laws of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico or the rules, regulations, orders or policies of the military authorities. The jurisdiction thus given does not include the right to try commissioned or enlisted personnel of the United States armed forces. Such persons shall be turned over to their respective services for disposition.

2. Military commissions and provost courts will adjudge sentences commensurate with the offense committed. Ordinarily, the sentence will not exceed the limit of punishment prescribed for similar offenses by the laws of the United States or the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. However, the courts are not bound by the limits of punishment prescribed in said laws and in aggravated cases and in cases of repeated offenses the courts may adjudge an appropriate sentence.

3. The record of trial cases before military commissions will be substantially similar to that required in a special court martial. The record of trial cases before provost courts will be substantially similar to that in the case of a Summary Court Martial.

4. The procedure in trials before military commissions and provost courts will follow, so far as it is applicable, the procedure required for Special and Summary Courts Martial respectively.

5. The records of trial in all cases will be forwarded to the Department of Judge Advocate. The sentences adjudged by provost courts shall become effective immediately. The sentence adjudged by a military commission shall not become effective until it shall have been approved by the Military Governor.

6. All charges against civilian prisoners shall be preferred by the Department of Provost Marshal or one of his assistants.

7. The Provost Marshal is responsible for the prompt trial of all civilian prisoners and for carrying out the sentence adjudged by the court.

8. Charges involving all major offenses shall be referred to a military commission for trial. Other cases of lesser degree shall be referred to provost courts. The maximum punishment which a provost court may adjudge is confinement for a period of 5 years, and a fine not to exceed $10,000.00. MILITARY COMMISSIONS MAY ADJUDGE PUNISHMENT COMMENSURATE WITH THE OFFENSE COMMITTED AND MAY ADJUDGE THE DEATH PENALTY IN APPROPRIATE CASES.

9. In adjudging sentences, provost courts and military commissions will be guided by, but not limited to the penalties authorized by the courts martial manual, the laws of the United States, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the District of Columbia, and the customs of laws in like cases.

By Order of the Military Governor
:
William Kelly Harrison, Jr.
William Kelly Harrison, Jr.
Lt. Gen. United States Army
Executive Officer

Last edited: