Apparently in the Congress of Vienna, Swedish diplomats did broach the topic with the great powers regarding a Swedish annexation of Iceland and Greenland, however whilst Austria and France were supportive, Prussia, Russia and Britain were not supportive, which led to the idea dying down. But what if one of the latter three great powers became in favor and in 1815 Sweden-Norway annexed Iceland and Greenland? What would be the consequences of this?

Iceland and Greenland should have followed Norway since they belonged to the Crown of St Olav
A more interesting thing would have been if Sweden annexed Norway rather than keeping it as a backup Kingdom for Charles XiV

Last edited:
Iceland and Greenland should have followed Norway since they belonged to the Crown of St Olav
A more interesting thing would have been if Sweden annexed Norway rather than keeping it as a backup Kingdom for Charles XiV
Actually from what I understand Bernadotte wanted Iceland as a part of the Crown of Norway and Greenland as a part of the Crown of Sweden.

Iceland, Greenland and the Faroe islands were part of the Kingdom of Norway until 1814 that is why I said they should have followed continental Norway into the union.
They may have been a part of the Crown of Norway until 1814, but that matters little if Bernadotte separates them as he intended to IOTL. He was supported by many Norwegians in this endeavor too like Collett and von Haxthausen who believed Greenland to be a money sink against Norway.

They may have been a part of the Crown of Norway until 1814, but that matters little if Bernadotte separates them as he intended to IOTL. He was supported by many Norwegians in this endeavor too like Collett and von Haxthausen who believed Greenland to be a money sink against Norway.
I’m sure it’d be a point of contention for Norwegian nationalists later in the century, may have some effect on when/how the union is dissolved.

As for Iceland, if they stay part of Norway, and assuming the end of the union happens as it did in 1905, I could see Icelandic nationalists using it as a ploy for autonomy. If Iceland pledges loyalty to the Swedish king instead of the Norwegian parliament, it could become a separate Kingdom in a union like it did otl 1918 with Denmark.