Sweden A Scandinavian power

The Swedish Finish Army of over 75,000 troops crossed the Russo-Swedish Frontier shattering what Russian forces were defending the border. The Russian Imperial Guard division left the capital and headed to the border to buy as much time as possible. These 18,000 well trained and equipped soldiers were outnumbered by more than 4 to 1. They were facing elite units of the Swedish Army including the Swedish Guards ans the 1st Finnish Jager Division. More troops were on the way.

Within 2 hours of the Guard having left the first groups of Russian reinforcements arrived in the form of the 104th Rifle Division and the 5th Cossack Cavalry Regiment. The 104th quickly began to man the defensive positions strengthening the Morale of the very shaky 6,000 militiamen who were the bulk of the defense force. There were some fortress artillery troops and some other Regulars but that was it.

Along the Swedish Estonian -Russian Estonian border the Swedish-Estonian forces had conducted a surprise attack. Estonians living on the Russian side of the border had stuck at the Russian forces supply line crating Chaos. German Ships arrived at the port unloading weapons and nearly a Brigade of Swedish troops that had been sent.

The Russian High Command was ordering forces that were to be sent to Poland to move instead to the borer with Swedish Estonia and to defend the Imperial Capital.

So far so good, for the invasion. I guess the Russian Navy stays in port to avoid clashes with the German Navy?

If we have a revolution, I can see Brest-Litvosk being worse, as now the Russians have 4 enemies(If the Ottomans join in), that want territory. Sweden Might Demand all of Karelia returned, and the Estonian Territories will probably be enlarged.

Russia appealed to France to do everything that it could to draw the German forces away from Russia and force Germany to send more forces to the west.
France was attempting to convince Greece to enter the war on the side of the Allies. Meanwhile, Germany was attempting to convince the Ottoman Empire to join the War against Russia but Great Britain was exerting pressure on the Ottomans to remain neutral. A promise to deliver the battleship that was ordered.

Meanwhile German Intelligence was picking up hints that France was seriously considering violation of the sovereignty of Belgium. French loses assaulting the Central front were horrible.

Russia appealed to France to do everything that it could to draw the German forces away from Russia and force Germany to send more forces to the west.
France was attempting to convince Greece to enter the war on the side of the Allies. Meanwhile, Germany was attempting to convince the Ottoman Empire to join the War against Russia but Great Britain was exerting pressure on the Ottomans to remain neutral. A promise to deliver the battleship that was ordered.

Meanwhile German Intelligence was picking up hints that France was seriously considering violation of the sovereignty of Belgium. French loses assaulting the Central front were horrible.

I wonder how the UK will react if France violates the neutrality of Belgium??

London: The Norwegian Naval Attache had lunch with a friend from the British Admiralty and proceeded to give him information that France was considering violating the neutrality of Belgium. The British officer asked the source of the intelligence and the Naval officer said that it had come from a reliable source. In actuality it had been leaked by German intelligence to Norway so that it could be passed on to the British.

Greece: The King was utterly opposed to Greece getting involved in the war but the Prime Minister was very Pro-French. Still with Russia taking a beating and France suffering serious casualties on its front it was a serious debatable point as to how wise that would be.

London: The Norwegian Naval Attache had lunch with a friend from the British Admiralty and proceeded to give him information that France was considering violating the neutrality of Belgium. The British officer asked the source of the intelligence and the Naval officer said that it had come from a reliable source. In actuality it had been leaked by German intelligence to Norway so that it could be passed on to the British.

The plot thickens!!

German Intelligence was playing a serious game of damaging he French war effort as much as possible. They had managed to find out that the French were about to violate the treat that was signed by Great Britain, France and Prussia to respect the borders of neutral Belgium. It had then used a third party to get the word to Great Britain.
Britain in turn warned France that if French troops crossed the borders of Belgium then Britain would be forces to take action against France.
The French did not need another enemy against them, especially one that could block the transfer of troops from North Africa to France and could blockade France.

15 Miles North east of St Petersberg: The Russian Imperial Guard Division was fighting a rear guard action. It had been reinforces by a regiment of Cossack Cavalry. The Swedish Army was pressing quite had and with the odds as bad as they were it was only the iron determination of the Russians that were holding the Swedish forces from the capital.
Additional Russian troops had arrived by rail at the capital but at the same time 2 divisions of Swedish Infantry and a division of cavalry had arrived.
The Swedish-Finnish Army was now approaching 120,000 men.
It was critical that a victory be achieved during the summer or else the Scandinavians would be in for a long winter war.

What will the Scandinavians do with the Russian population if they seize Skt. Petersburg?...and how much time has passed since the outbreak of hostilities?

A meeting was taking place in the Swedish Capital . The Milital leadership was meeting to discuss what where the goals of the war and what would they do with the Russian people that were living on the land that they conquered . It was increasing becoming an important question since The Royal Swedish army was now banging at the gates of St Petersburg. The Swedish Military had been treating the Russian people with great care and as a result there had been no backlash or attempts to support attacks against the Swedish-Finnish forces. For now the important thing was to fight the war. It was now early September and the commander of the troops that had severed in the region knew that winter would come all too soon and it would have to be prepared for.

The Central Powers had scored several key victories. Warsaw was under seige and German forces had captured nearly 150,000 Russian Prisoners.The Russians had achieved some results that were alarming in that an Austro-Hungarian division had been destroyed and another had suffered serious loses.
The Austro-Hungarians had invaded Serbia and had been joined by Bulgaria. Fighting war nasty. Germany had poured more troops into the Eastern Front thus allowing the Empire to finish its war with Serbia.

Italy had not joined the war but in view of the pounding that Russia was taking the military and political leadership had serious doubts about the wisdom on taking the french offer and entering the war on France and Russia's side.

In Sweden someone took out some Maps that were based on What the Swedish Empire looked like 200 years ago. The King and his political advisers looked at it and decided that they would like a modified verision of it. Some of the territory would be too populated with Russians to annex but perhaps Sweden could regain some plus a larger Estonia.

488px-Swedish_Empire_in_Early_Modern_Europe_(1560-1815).png

The Swedish government had decided that the minium demands would be for the return of Karelia and al of what it considered Estonia and a moving of the border further to the East. It would be unrealistic to consider getting everything else back. There would be other demands.

Meanwhile the remains of the Russian Imperial Guard Division and the Cossack Cavalry Unit entered St Petersburg. It joined the Garrision that now included 2 Rifle Divisions, Fortress Artillery Division, 9,000 "militamen" and some other odds and Ends. The Swedish_Finnish Army now manuevered itself to seal off the city from any futher reinforcement and resupply. The Imperial Family left for Moscow while the Czar decided to remain behind to be one with his people.

Hanotaux - vol 2 Mobilization 002.jpg

The Swedish government had decided that the minium demands would be for the return of Karelia and al of what it considered Estonia and a moving of the border further to the East. It would be unrealistic to consider getting everything else back. There would be other demands.

Meanwhile the remains of the Russian Imperial Guard Division and the Cossack Cavalry Unit entered St Petersburg. It joined the Garrision that now included 2 Rifle Divisions, Fortress Artillery Division, 9,000 "militamen" and some other odds and Ends. The Swedish_Finnish Army now manuevered itself to seal off the city from any futher reinforcement and resupply. The Imperial Family left for Moscow while the Czar decided to remain behind to be one with his people.

So maybe we will see urban fighting inside Skt. Petersburg?

I would guess that there are additional Russian troops making their way to the capitol?

St Peterburg: The Czar received a report that with the withdrawal of the remains of the Guard Infantry division into St Petersburg with the Cossack Cavalry Regiment there were nearly 55,000 Russian troops in the garrison.
The Russian Commander estimated that the Swedish forces at about 240,000 ( actually there were 2000,000 Swedish, Finnish and Danish troops). Germany was sending some heavy siege artillery to aide the Swedes in the attack.
Lt General Karl Mannerheim sent in the demand for the city to surrender or it would face bombardment. Swedish Aircraft were carrying out aerial recon missions over the City and had observed some of the shelling. The Swedish and Finnish officers estimated that they might have just 30 days to carry on the attack before they would have to switch to preparing for a winter siege.

471286368_048db5bb03.jpg

Last edited:
Southern Sweden: The Swedish Government passed a request at the meeting of the Scandinavian Military Planning Commission to the Danish representative for additional forces for the war. Sweden had requested Denmark to send an additional Infantry Regiment, an Artillery Regiment, Medical company, 2 engineer companies and an armored car Squadron.
The Danish Colonel promised to send it to Denmark for immediate consideration.

Germany had received a request from Sweden for some heavy siege guns and the German government had dispatched 6x305mm and 6x402mm siege guns with crews to assist its Scandinavina ally.

db_80-241.jpg

Southern Sweden: The Swedish Government passed a request at the meeting of the Scandinavian Military Planning Commission to the Danish representative for additional forces for the war. Sweden had requested Denmark to send an additional Infantry Regiment, an Artillery Regiment, Medical company, 2 engineer companies and an armored car Squadron.
The Danish Colonel promised to send it to Denmark for immediate consideration.

Germany had received a request from Sweden for some heavy siege guns and the German government had dispatched 6x305mm and 6x402mm siege guns with crews to assist its Scandinavina ally.

Bring out the heavy guns!
Will be interesting to see the stamina of the Russians ITTL. IOTL during WWII it was impossible to either bomb or starve out Skt. Pertsburg/ Leningrad, maybe without communism and loosing on all fronts, the Russians will surrender more easily....or then again maybe not.

The Swedish Embassy in London received a request from the British Foreign Office requesting that the Swedish Ambassador attend a meeting at the Foreign Ministry. The Swedish Ambassador arrived with his aides including the military attache and they were ushered into a Room with the Russian Ambassador and hi aides at the other end. The Ambassador gave the British Foreign Minister a questioning look and he immediately stated to talk.

"Gentlemen , would you all please be seated . I have be asked by the Prime Minister to hold this meeting to see if it would be possible to resolve the conflict between the Swedish and Russian Empires. I would like to inform the Ambassador from Sweden that the government of His Imperial Majesty Nicholas II has consented to these talks.
The Government of Russia would like to know if there is any way that the conflict could be ended between the two sides. And if so what would it take to end the conflict and to return the Army of the Swedish Empire and its allies to Swedish Territory?"
The Swedish Ambassador said , " I would have to consult with my government but I would point out that we did not start this war. It was a Russian naval force that fired on Swedish warships in Swedish territorial waters. The result was both the loss of warships and the loss of the lives of sailors . I am aware that my country would demand the restoration of territories taken by Russia over the years but as to what territory I could not say. I would have to talk to the government at home and also know what the Government of Russia is offering.

British Foreign Minister looked at the Russian Ambassador who nodded.
Russia is offering new borders for Estonia and the Return of Karelia.
It would also offer compensation for the loss of the warship and the sailors lives.
The Swedish Ambasssador was well aware that his country had already achieved what Russia was ofering and that St Petersburg was under siege.
He then said, " I will convey the offer from the Government of Russia to my country and will inform the Foreign minster of My country's reaction.
Until I have received instructions authorizing me to enter into these talks I can say nothing more.