survival of the papal states

what would the effects on Italian and Eoropean history be if the papal states had not fallen to the forces of Itlian unification and where still around today ? Would his Holiness have more authority, and how many divisions would the pope have at his disposal ?

Is this a double blind WI? In OTL the Borgia were able to successful unite northern Italy under the aegis of the Papacy. After the corruption of the Church that was witnessed by this campaign, the national churches moved away from Rome. The Catholic Communion has only recently gotten back together (Second Vatican Council).

no, i`m talking of the political entity " the papal states " and it`s possible existance after 1860 and its survival unto the currant era.
Religion is a fine thing for some but would hanging onto temporal power weaken the church or strengthen it ?

the vatican city is the last rump of the papak states, lets be fair though italy could wipe it out within the hour if it wished to , so I`m discounting it as survival of the papal states.
After all the temporal power of a man who`s army carries Halberds is frankly not that great

the vatican city is the last rump of the papak states, lets be fair though italy could wipe it out within the hour if it wished to , so I`m discounting it as survival of the papal states.
After all the temporal power of a man who`s army carries Halberds is frankly not that great

Agree... But Vatican has the best Secret Service/Police... CONFESSORS!!!!
They never speak of anything and u cannot "break them"... These guys are better than CIA agents...

well they may know a lot but they can only tell it to God, if you want the popes spies then your looking for the jesuists, dont forget they do know everything !!!!! :eek::eek:

well they may know a lot but they can only tell it to God, if you want the popes spies then your looking for the jesuists, dont forget they do know everything !!!!! :eek::eek:

Yes they can talk about what they heard to God... But they can talk to the Pope too... He is the Vicar of Christ on Earth... (and they even know the colour of your underwear too!!!:eek::eek::eek:)

The Swiss Guards are issued guns and are trained to use them.

Italy wouldn't be able to capture the Pope because the Pope can escape to Switzerland thru the secret papal tunnels.