Super Bowl Alternate Matchups Game

A modified version of the "Political Decapitation Game". Here we're going to take the runners up in each NFL conference and match them together in a super bowl that never was. I say we go one at a time, starting with this year and working our way backwards to the first Super Bowl. For simplicity's sake, we'll assume their rosters are exactly the same as the ones they had during Conference championship weekend.

To start:

2013: (AFC) New England Patriots vs. (NFC) San Fransisco 49ers.

Interesting Idea:

Here is what they would be starting at 2014:

2014:
Indianapolis vs. Green Bay
2013:
San Francisco vs New England
2012:
New England vs. Atlanta
2011:
San Francisco vs. Baltimore
2010:
N.Y. Jets vs. Chicago
2009:
Minnesota vs. N.Y. Jets
2008:
Baltimore vs. Philadelphia
2007:
Green Bay vs. San Diego
2006:
New England vs. Chicago
2005:
Carolina vs. Denver
2004:
Pittsburgh vs. Atlanta
2003:
Philadelphia vs. Indianapolis
2002:
Tennessee vs. Philadelphia
2001:
Philadelphia vs. Pittsburgh
2000:
Oakland vs. Minnesota
1999:
Tampa Bay vs. Jacksonville
1998:
N.Y. Jets vs. Minnesota
1997:
San Francisco vs. Pittsburgh
1996:
Jacksonville vs. Carolina
1995:
Green Bay vs. Indianapolis
1994:
Pittsburgh vs. Dallas
1993:
San Francisco vs. Kansas City
1992:
Miami vs. San Francisco
1991:
Detroit vs. Denver
1990:
L.A. Raiders vs. San Francisco
1989:
L.A. Rams vs. Cleveland
1988:
Buffalo vs. Chicago
1987:
Minnesota vs. Cleveland
1986:
Cleveland vs. Washington
1985:
L.A. Rams vs. Miami
1984:
Pittsburgh vs. Chicago
1983:
San Francisco vs. Seattle
1982:
N.Y. Jets vs. Dallas
1981:
Dallas vs San Diego
1980:
San Diego vs. Dallas
1979:
Tampa Bay vs. Houston
1978:
Houston vs. L.A. Rams
1977:
Minnesota vs. Oakland
1976:
Pittsburgh vs. L.A. Rams
1975:
L.A. Rams vs Oakland
1974:
Oakland vs. L.A. Rams
1973:
Dallas vs. Oakland
1972:
Pittsburgh vs. Dallas
1971:
San Francisco vs. Baltimore
1970:
Oakland vs. San Francisco
1969:
Cleveland vs. Oakland
1968:
Oakland vs. Cleveland
1967:
Dallas vs. Houston
1966:
Buffalo vs. Dallas

I think the question to ask would be if the circumstances such as who is drafted along with the teams faced in the conference championships were the same or do you make up new ones using creative liberty?

Last edited:
Super Bowl I:
Buffalo versus Dallas
Weather: 72 and sunny

The NFL's first Super Bowl would pit relatively newer teams against each other. Although both had been started in 1960, the Cowboys were considered to be miles ahead of Buffalo. After all, Dallas played in the elite NFL and had experience playing and beating the big boys, Especially Green Bay who was the favorite whereas Buffalo only managed to pull through after Kansas City self-destructed in the 2nd half. Also, Tom Landry was also considered to be a far superior head coach to rookie coach Joe Collier as Landry's schemes were often quite complex whereas Buffalo was a very traditional 2 yards and a cloud of dust team; Ironic given the AFL was more known for unconventional style of play. All that being said, the Cowboys came in as 13 1/2 point favorites and nobody saw the Bills coming close.

The 1st Quarter was somewhat competitive with the Bills moving the ball down to field goal range to the Dallas 31 but Lusteg's 39 yard field goal attempt sailed wide right. Dallas wasted no time as they gained 59 yards on two plays before RB Dan Reeves ran it in for a 1 yard TD giving Dallas the early 7-0 lead. Dallas would get another touchdown on a 23 yard TD pass to AFL-NFL Championship MVP Bob Hayes in the end zone who made the game 14-0 Dallas at Halftime. Early in the 4th quarter, the Bills would make it a game when Bobby Burnett would run for a 28 yard TD cutting the Dallas lead to 14-7. Unfortunately, the Bills would gamble deep in their own territory and not convert a crucial 4th down adeep in their own territory leading to Dallas scoring a game clinching touchdown giving the Cowboys a 21-7 lead with 1:51 remaining in the game.

"Buffalo's defense was good but we made enough timely plays to keep the advantage on our side throughout most of this game." Dallas Coach Tom Landry stated. He added "I'm a bit surprised they didn't pass the ball more." Buffalo Coach Joe Collier stated "We wanted to keep their offense off the field. We adopted a very conservative strategy so they wouldn't get to use their firepower. Unfortunately, we missed a lot of opportunities to take control and hopefully, we can learn from this for next year."

Both teams' kickers went 0/3 combined with Lusteg missing 2 of the field goals, one in the 1st and in the 3rd. Making at least one could've perhaps shifted the momentum in Buffalo's favor.

Overall, it was a relatively ugly championship with Dallas having a firm but not significantly sizable advantage. Neither team brought their "A" game but there were at least a few moments of excitement sprinkled in.

***Should be noted I used this site for the results http://www.whatifsports.com/NFL/default.asp#top
so it was a "crapshoot"

Used what if sports for a Chiefs Cowboys Super Bowl I. Ran 10 times. Cowboys won 6 games to 4,with several blow outs and a few close games.

Sounds about right.

Ran a series of 1960 Cowboys Texan games. Texans won most of them.

Used what if sports for a Chiefs Cowboys Super Bowl I. Ran 10 times. Cowboys won 6 games to 4,with several blow outs and a few close games.

Sounds about right.

Ran a series of 1960 Cowboys Texan games. Texans won most of them.

The first time I ran the simulation, Buffalo won 10-7 but I had accidentally clicked out of it so I ended up using the one above - plus it seemed a bit more realistic.

Super Bowl II:
Dallas vs. Houston
January 14, 1968
Weather: 67 and sunny

Known as the "Texas Bowl" or the "Lone Star Bowl", Super Bowl II would feature both league's Texas teams, the Dallas Cowboys and Houston Oilers.

The Dallas Cowboys, again led by Coach Landry and Pro Bowl QB Don Meredith would come off of a dramatic victory in Green Bay stopping Starr and the Packers on a crucial 4th down and goal to win 17-14 at Lambeau Field*. Coming in as the returning Super Bowl champions, Dallas was again favored by 13 1/2 points similar to the year prior against Buffalo and the majority of NFL analysts concurred with these odds.

The Houston Oilers came in winning a hard fought battle with the Oakland Raiders with a run-heavy approach along with doing a fantastic job of neutralizing Ben Davidson of the Raiders in an exciting come from behind 24-23 victory**. Although Houston's victory was impressive, most critics attributed it to Raiders all pro QB Daryl Lamonica's injury in the 2nd quarter allowing the Oilers to focus strictly on the run. The Oilers would come back from being down 20-3 at halftime to score the game winning touchdown with 55 seconds in the game to take a 1 point lead***.

The game started with Houston taking charge early and going down the field on some key Pete Beathard passes before the drive stalled and Houston settling for a field goal. Near the end of the 1st, Dallas would put together a drive getting to the Houston 11 before kicking a field goal themselves to tie at 3-3 at the end of the 1st.

The 2nd quarter would feature a turnover in the form of a Meredith interception to Houston defender Miller Farr and Houston driving down the field as far as the Dallas 4 but again having to settle for a Wittenborn FG to make it Houston 6-3. Dallas would continue to struggle on offense until a blocked put gave the Cowboys offense the football at the Houston 35. It was at this point Dallas would score a TD with 43 seconds left on a Meredith to Rentzel pass giving Dallas a 9-6 lead. The score would remain that as Villanueva's kick went wide following a botched snap.

In the 2nd half, Dallas would drive down the field as far as the Houston 9 before Villanueva would miss again on a 27 yard field goal. After a few punts back and forth, Houston would get the ball at the Dallas 41 and complete a 4 play drive with a 16 yard TD pass to FB Hoyle Granger on a screen giving the Oilers a 13-9 lead at the end of the 3rd quarter.

Dallas would come back late in the 4th quarter with a grueling 12 play 80 yard drive ending on a 7 yard TD pass from Meredith to Reeves giving Dallas a 16-13 lead with 4:48 to go. Houston, undeterred by this, came back quickly scoring a TD on a 54 yard TD pass to Woody Campbell giving Houston a 20-16 lead. Dallas would come back with an 8 play 67 yard drive leading to a 13 yard TD run by Don Perkins with 1:31 to go in the game. Houston would throw a medium completion to Taylor only to fumble and Dallas would recover the ball. RB Dan Reeves would ice the game with a 19 yard run and thus force Houston to use all of their time outs as Dallas would win their second straight Super Bowl 23-20 over Houston.

After the game, Dallas Head Coach Tom Landry was quite happy with his team's 4th quarter performance but stated that Houston was equally deserving of winning this game adding that the AFL may "finally be on their way to competing with the NFL teams" given Houston's performance.

Houston coach Wally Lemm stated "if we would've not had stupid penalties that extended Dallas' drives, I believe we would've won... of course, good teams find ways to win and that's exactly what Dallas did today". Despite the caveat added at the end by Lemm along with congratulating coach Landry, controversy would erupt from Lemm being "sour grapes" about the
game's result. Houston would never recover from the super bowl loss. The team they beat in the AFL Championship however would not only recover from the AFLC loss but become a frequent visitor of the Super Bowl for the next decade.

* In OTL, the Packers scored the Touchdown on 4th and goal winning the game 21-17

**This one was much more difficult to diverge because the Raiders were clearly the better team OTL winning 40-7 in that game so I made it so Houston does a better job in ball control and Lamonica gets injured so that the Hou Defense can focus on the Raider RBs

Last edited:
Here are the Super Bowls so far:

Super Bowl I:
Buffalo 7 Dallas 21
MVP: Bob Hayes Dallas WR

Super Bowl II:
Dallas 23 Houston 20
MVP Dan Reeves Dallas RB

Super Bowl III:
Oakland vs. Cleveland
January 12, 1969
Weather: 74 and slight rain

The third Super Bowl, as it would be officially called
that season, would pit the AFL's Oakland Raiders
against the NFL's Cleveland Browns. Despite Oakland
dominance that season, Cleveland being considered the
weakest team to represent the NFL since the start of
this championship, and the AFL's Oilers playing an
impressive game against Dallas the season prior, the
Raiders were 6 1/2 point underdogs entering the game
due to analysts considering the NFL as far superior.

The Raiders would advance to their first super bowl on
a 30-27 victory over the New York Jets in the AFL
Championship on a game winning touchdown from QB Daryle
Lamonica to WR Fred Biletnikoff. Perhaps the play that
was most significant was before that when Lamonica
threw a pass to Charlie Smith that was declared
incomplete due to wind interference*.

Cleveland would go to the Super Bowl on the strength of an upset over the Baltimore Colts in the NFC Championship.
The Colts were considered the NFL's best team but Cleveland would gut out a 20-17 OT victory at home.
QB Bill Nelsen would lead the OT game winning drive ending with a 47 yard field goal by Don Cockroft**.

The game would start with both teams missing
opportunities with Cleveland's Don Cockroft missing a
39 yard field goal and Oakland's Charlie Smith fumbling
inside Cleveland's red zone. The Raiders' Willie Brown
would intercept and take it to the Cleveland 31 but
Oakland penalties would prevent even a field goal try.
Cleveland would punt as well and the 1st would end in a
0-0 tie. In the 2nd, the Raiders would draw first
blood with a Hewritt Dixon 32 yard TD run giving the
Raiders a 7-0 lead. Later in the 2nd, Cleveland would
tie on a TD pass to Paul Warfield for 51 yards making
it 7-7 going into halftime. Oakland would break it
open in the 3rd quarter with 2 Daryle Lamonica
touchdown tosses to Fred Biletnikoff from 13 and 2
yards making it 21-7 Raiders. The Browns would set up

a touchdown on an 85 yard reverse play by Barney
leading to a 2 yard TD run by Leroy Kelly making it 21
-14 Raiders. Late in the 4th quarter, the Browns would
make a controversial decision going for it on 4th down
deep in their own territory which failed. This would
immediately lead to Lamonica scrambling for an 8 yard
TD giving the Raiders the game clinching 28-14 lead and
victory. For his 2 TD passes and 1 TD run, Daryle
Lamonica was named the Super Bowl MVP.

After the game, Raiders coach John Rauch stated "Overall,
the key to us winning today was our offensive line giving
Daryle time and allowing Pete and Hewritt to get those big
running lanes" adding "I can understand coach Collier taking
that risk in the 4th quarter considering how our guys up front,
especially Jim and Gene, were really pushing them around".
General partner and former acting AFL Commissioner Al Davis
would comment that "This game was a long time coming,
not just for the Oakland Raiders, but also for the AFL has a whole"
adding, "I look to continue this commitment to excellence like what we had demonstrated out there on
the field today."

Cleveland Browns coach Blanton Collier stated that "We didn't
take advantage of opportunities when they came our way, pure
and simple." Adding a surprisingly fortuitous statement, When
asked about how the Raiders played, Collier stated that "I guess
I have a better idea what we're going to be going up against next year".
Collier did not elaborate on the statement.

Little did anyone know it would become known as "Collier's Prophecy".

*This play was ruled a fumble in OTL and the Jets would
recover leading to a NYJ victory. No fumble recovery
means butterflies.

**I don't know how I would justify this one.

Last edited: