Hmm... Lets see a princess is still being tutored at the palace wants to have friends, solution is send her to school but which school?
Well the Chief of the OKL who is a Margraf and his wife, an editor and reporter of a prominent Berlin newspaper send their daughter to this exclusive progressive day school for girls.
The daughter could be told to "look after the princess" and they could become friends along with another student whos parents are prominent in their own right.
This could lead to The Three Furies v2.0.

Part 64, Chapter 915
Chapter Nine Hundred Fifteen

11th August 1951

Tempelhof Airport

“I was able to discuss the matter with Kiki and she agreed that she would wait to worry about her appearance until she got older” Kat said, “She’s a pretty girl even she doesn’t seem to know it.”

“Glad that you think so Marcella” Doug replied which earned him a dirty look, “Don’t get me wrong, when it comes to young women with low self-esteem and poor attitudes you are something of an expert.”

“Please remind me why we never got divorced?” Kat asked.

“Because I told you no when you asked” Doug replied.

“What possessed me to ask when I should have just gone ahead and done it?”

Doug just shrugged. “Because you would be lost without me being the voice of reason” He replied, “Who knows what trouble you’d cause?”

It felt strange to be back in the airport. This was the first time that Kat had been back since she had been forced to resign from the BII months earlier. Currently, they were waiting in the lounge for the Lufthansa flight to New York to depart. The twins were behaving for the moment in their pram, but Kat had no doubt about how they would react to the flight. She was looking forward with dread towards the prospect of having two screaming babies on a flight while the other passengers shot daggers with their eyes at her. Not so long-ago Kat would have been one of them.

“I managed well enough before I met you” Kat said.

“Depends on your definition of managing” Doug replied, “You did sort of start a world war and you once kidnapped a child who you took to a foreign country.”

“Real funny” Kat said, “Now you sound exactly like the right-wing rags.”

Doug smirked and went back to reading the International Edition of the New York Times. He said that there were times when she just needed to live her life and not worry about what others thought. This was his way of suggesting that this was one of those times.

Potsdam

Kat was probably going to kill her for doing this, but Kiki had seen that as something of a calculated risk only to have it turn out to be what she thought might be a big mistake. She had considered sneaking out but after weighing the risks and realizing that a nearly ten-year-old girl with no money of her own would be the last person on Earth that anyone would take seriously. Kiki had realized that she would need to do something else entirely. The instant she saw who she had invited through Ilse she knew that she had probably made another mistake. Marcella Böhler-Strobel had shown up wearing what were obviously her very best clothes even though she had done her best to make sure that Ilse told her that this would only be informal.

“You didn’t need to go all out for me” Kiki said, “I only wanted to meet you because of something Gräfin Katherine said.”

If Marcella was put out by being summoned here by a child, she didn’t show it. “I’ve been wondering where Katy disappears to every Sunday for a while” She said, “And the rest I did for myself.”

“After we get back from church, Katherine and my mother talk for a time, usually a couple hours” Kiki replied, “They just talk about boring things.”

Marcella seemed amused by that. “You mean to say they talk about things that you don’t understand yet?” She asked.

“Yes… Er, no… I’m just…” Kiki said getting flustered.

“It’s okay” Marcella said, “I’ve known a couple girls your age who were easily flustered by an adult asking direct questions.”

“Who?” Kiki asked, “I doubt there are too many others like me.”

“I’m surprised you say that” Marcella replied, “I figure that you would know Kat and Gia quite well.”

Kiki couldn’t imagine tough as nails Katherine flustered and Jehane was so smart and worldly…

“Kat said that you really helped her” Kiki blurted out, “That she used to wear old, oversized clothes to hide herself from the world and you wouldn’t let her.”

“I suppose finding out second hand that she appreciated my efforts after twenty-nine years almost makes it worthwhile” Marcella replied, “Kat also had good reasons for being like she was.”

Kiki was surprised that comment. Kat herself had described her Aunt as abrasive but Kiki could see the same forthright, take no prisoners attitude in Marcella that Kat displayed every time she walked into a room.

“She said that she was tall and awkward” Kiki said, “Is that true?”

That was a difficult thing to imagine.

“Yes” Marcella replied, “Well into her twenties.”

Starvation Cove, Northern Territories, Canada

When Manfred had heard the story of this desolate place he had to come. This was the last place where traces of a doomed British expedition attempting to force the North-West Passage had been found. Two ships, hundreds of men swallowed whole by the Canadian Arctic slowly succumbing to effects of lead poisoning and starvation while trying to walk to the nearest outpost of the British Empire, Fort Reliance, nearly a thousand kilometers south of here. He had to admire the courage and determination that had led them to this desolate place. He could however fault their lack of understanding of the region or the people who lived here. The Franklin Expedition was the quintessential British endeavor. They thought that they could stubbornly push on until the sea itself yielded. Here on the Arctic Ocean they had reached their limits at the hands of nature.

“Graf von Richthofen?” He heard his guide ask.

Manfred looked at his guide, he had gone off to speak with some of the natives but was now back. “What do you need?” He asked.

“The headman here, he wants to know if you are really the Red Barron.”

Manfred laughed at that. They had heard of him even in this far off corner of the globe.

“Tell him that I am” Manfred answered, then he had a thought. “Ask him what the hunting is like around here.”

"Sure thing Sir” The Guide said before walking off.

It looked like this side trip would be even more interesting than he had thought.

Last edited:
Oddly enough i expect Manfred to have, amongst the local people, to have visions of the mystical variety about his past, present and future and end, included a certain odd canid telling him to speak to a certain Dine blooded priest for answers.....

I like the Red Baron visiting the Canadian wilderness. I wonder if he's going to meet someone that retured from the RAF and moved far away to get away from the memories of war.

A pity that Phil Ochs wasn't born; this song would be at least as relevant in this timeline, and perhaps someone will write it again.

Part 64, Chapter 916
Chapter Nine Hundred Sixteen

17th August 1951

Langeoog Island

It had been the perfect week. The house had been made available to all of them while Kat and Doug were in Canada. Ilse had come with Kris, Anne and Leni.

Now that the brief holiday was winding down and tomorrow they would get to go back and resume their lives. Ilse was sitting on the porch watching the waves as the washed into the shore as the sun was setting. Kat had insisted that the new house had a deeper porch overlooking the North Sea. It was easy to see why she had wanted that. There was a great deal of clarity to be found here and Ilse found that she needed it. The letters she had been receiving. From Finland, Sweden, Russia and now Canada, the same blight was being found all over the Northern Hemisphere. When she had sent her findings off for review by the head of the Department the researchers he had farmed it out to had gotten the same results. Then they had gone one step further, it had been hypothesized about the source. That the sulfuric acid was identical to that found in coal smoke and had even gone so far as to identify the likely source of the coal in question.

It was a detail that Ilse had suspected but had avoided bringing it up because she was aware of the implications. Factories, powerplants commerce and industry. The very foundations of the modern state not to mention millions of people’s livelihoods were all bound up in this matter. Once they had the results, what would they do with them? Go into the Reichstag and tell them that the entire country was doing something wrong and they needed to find some other way of doing things? She was quite certain how that would go. Badly.

Yellowknife, Northern Territories, Canada

While Manfred had been unable to indulge in hunting while in the far north, it seemed that he was there in the wrong season if he wanted some of the things that were in high demand. When he had asked what that meant he had been shown dozens of pelts from Arctic foxes, white and silver. As he had looked at them Manfred knew that he was looking at potentially thousands of Marks in Berlin. Here, they were only worth the three rifles and thousand rounds of ammunition he had traded for them. Oddly the men he had bought them from thought they were getting the better part of the deal. Unfortunately, that led straight to the less comfortable conversation latter that night. What he had in mind for those pelts would be surprise for Käte, Helene, Sonje and Caecilia when he got home.

However, talking to the Inuit Chiefs had been instructive. There Manfred was able to talk hunting with men who lived and breathed it for survival. He found that there was a purity in that. Of course, all they wanted to talk about were his children. Yes, he had three daughters, a son, and two grandchildren. They had understood perfectly the idea that he had lost his oldest to drink, that apparently happened quite a bit there. The topic eventually had turned to his own land in Silesia, his forestry practices, the management of the deer and ongoing issues with feral swine. They had found all of that amusing and Manfred had not understood why until he had realized that compared to the Arctic, his estate was an embarrassment of riches.

That was when things took the uncomfortable turn. They had started talking about the recent actions of the Canadian Government and Manfred was perfectly appalled. Sure, he could understand why people might gather in towns and cities if that were their choice…

“Give me one good reason not to put a bullet through your head” A voice growled at Manfred snapping his thoughts back to the present.

Yellowknife had been something completely different. Boom town, mining camp and military outpost. It was exactly what people thought of when they thought of the American West. Even if it happened to be in Canada.

“I would be a shame to mess this establishment up” Manfred said mildly as he noticed the bartender's unsurprised reaction. Apparently, there had been other messes needing to be cleaned up in the past. “I doubt that is what you will do though Captain Barker.”

Originally from Manitoba it made perfect sense that when the Commanders of the RCAF would send Group Captain William Barker out here to dry out when his colorful antics became too much for them. The greatest living Canadian Ace and a highly decorated Officer couldn’t exactly be turned out easily. Manfred had managed to avoid him on the trip north, his luck hadn’t held this time.

“Still sore about what I did to your Squadron in the First World War I see” Manfred said, “There have been a few wars since then. Even so, that one stands out.”

Barker sat down and was tapping his finger on the tabletop while giving Manfred a dirty look.

“You have any idea the number of my friends you and your mates killed?” Barker asked.

“Like if you weren’t doing the same every time you got the chance?” Manfred asked, “I read your biography, you and friend were planning on shooting up my airfield and then wishing us a happy Christmas. Just the war ended before you could do that.”

“You heard about that?” Barker asked.

“Yes.”

“It would have been glorious.”

Manfred just couldn’t believe this. The war had been over for decades and this man was still fighting it.

“No, it wouldn’t have” Manfred snapped, “You and your friend would have been spotted crossing the front lines. If JG-1 didn’t intercept you, then antiaircraft batteries we had covering the field would have.”

“You sound just like my Commanding Officers back then.”

“They were probably talking sense, one or two planes taking on an entire fighter wing results in a very dead pilot.”

“I could have managed” Barker growled as a drink was poured for him.

It wasn’t the first time that Manfred had encountered this. In a couple hours, he would be Barker’s long-lost best friend. Hopefully, Barker would pass out before he started demanding that they settle this once and for all with a fist fight out on the street. He hated it when that happened.

Last edited:
I like the Red Baron visiting the Canadian wilderness. I wonder if he's going to meet someone that retured from the RAF and moved far away to get away from the memories of war.
If McElroy or Mannock had managed to avoid getting killed TTL they might have moved to Canada to get away from the Irish troubles and divided loyalties -especially McElroy, Mannock I could see commanding Ireland's first Air Corps -he was very pro Home Rule. If Albert Ball survived he would have got into aircraft design and manufacture - sent out by Vickers to manage Avro Canada perhaps? Any of the three would be around 56 at this stage

If McElroy or Mannock had managed to avoid getting killed TTL they might have moved to Canada to get away from the Irish troubles and divided loyalties -especially McElroy, Mannock I could see commanding Ireland's first Air Corps -he was very pro Home Rule. If Albert Ball survived he would have got into aircraft design and manufacture - sent out by Vickers to manage Avro Canada perhaps? Any of the three would be around 56 at this stage

I figured that Barker was a safe bet for now. Directly attacking an enemy airfield and taking on an entire fighter wing by himself. IOTL Barker did both.

A pity that Phil Ochs wasn't born; this song would be at least as relevant in this timeline, and perhaps someone will write it again.

My father in law Casper Goffman was born before the POD. He had a great voice. Turn the song into a show tune and have him sing it

Chapter Nine Hundred Sixteen

17th August 1951

Langeoog Island

It had been the perfect week. The house had been made available to all of them while Kat and Doug were in Canada. Ilse had come with Kris, Anne and Leni.

Now that the brief holiday was winding down and tomorrow they would get to go back and resume their lives. Ilse was sitting on the porch watching the waves as the washed into the shore as the sun was setting. Kat had insisted that the new house had a deeper porch overlooking the North Sea. It was easy to see why she had wanted that. There was a great deal of clarity to be found here and Ilse found that she needed it. The letters she had been receiving. From Finland, Sweden, Russia and now Canada, the same blight was being found all over the Northern Hemisphere. When she had sent her findings off for review by the head of the Department the researchers he had farmed it out to had gotten the same results. Then they had gone one step further, it had been hypothesized about the source. That the sulfuric acid was identical to that found in coal smoke and had even gone so far as to identify the likely source of the coal in question.

It was a detail that Ilse had suspected but had avoided bringing it up because she was aware of the implications. Factories, powerplants commerce and industry. The very foundations of the modern state not to mention millions of people’s livelihoods were all bound up in this matter. Once they had the results, what would they do with them? Go into the Reichstag and tell them that the entire country was doing something wrong and they needed to find some other way of doing things? She was quite certain how that would go. Badly.

If Ilse mentions this to Nessa then Nessa might come up with the idea of using radioactive isotope ratios to more closely identify the source of the SiO2. Nuclear chemistry might not be advanced enough for that, however.
The problem might spur the development of power reactors, though. I'd hope that the CANDU reactor might be the result mainly because

"This [heavy water moderation] allows CANDU to run on unenriched natural uranium, or uranium mixed with a wide variety of other materials such as plutonium and thorium. This was a major goal of the CANDU design; by operating on natural uranium the cost of enrichment is removed."​

Note that OTL sulfur is removed from oil and natural gas during the refining process.

Oh, and it may be apocryphal but the unofficial motto of Alabama is "At least we're not Mississippi."

Last edited:
Part 64, Chapter 917
Chapter Nine Hundred Seventeen

20th August 1951

Berlin

It didn’t bother Zella or Aurora in the least that Klara and her crowd shot them venomous looks as they made their way back to class. All it took a glimpse of the boyish haircut that Klara had been stuck with after efforts to salvage what they could had failed, to send them into fits of giggles. Zella had been under punishment for the entire holiday. She had to explain to Aurora what that meant. Her parents had learned that confining her to her room would just be confining her with the things she enjoyed doing, hardly a punishment. So, her mother had her sitting at a typewriter, typing the first dictionary that she had at hand. This holiday it had been German to English dictionary which was certainly better than the Latin dictionary that she had been typing over the Spring holiday.

“How often are you under punishment?” Aurora had asked.

“Don’t worry about it” Zella had replied.

Seeing Klara in her current state had made being under punishment very worth it to her.

“Are you going to apologize before the entire school again” Klara sneered as they walked past, and her friends snickered.

“If I apologized a thousand times would that make your hair grow back faster?” Zella asked in reply and Klara’s friends were laughing, at her this time. The look on Klara’s face became one of shock, that clearly had not gone according to her plan.

“How can you do things like that?” Aurora asked once they were out of earshot.

“My father always told me that I should never give bullies a break and that I needed to be prepared to hit them far harder first” Zella said, “Unless you want to live under the thumb of the likes of Stolz, he said.”

“Who is Stoltz?” Aurora asked.

“I don’t know, a Luftwaffe thing I guess.”

Aurora accepted that answer. It wasn’t the whole truth though. When Zella had been little her father had told her stories about his adventures with Walter Horst and Piers Sjostedt. Stolz had been this ogre-like figure who had been a villain of many of those stories. A few months earlier she had typed up a few of those stories from memory and a disturbing thought had crept in Walter and Piers were real, she had known them for years. What if other things were real? She had then snuck into her father’s office, even though she knew she was forbidden from entering that room and pulled a book about the First World War off the shelf and discovered that her father had been telling her a farcical, bloodless version of those events. Did that mean that Stoltz was real too? That book had also said that her father had been credited with the breakthrough at Verdun as the Officer who had led the assault that neutralized Fort Souville. What did that mean?

Montreal, Canada

Always watch her left hand.

That had been Malcolm’s warning to Margot, Katherine and Douglas had rented a suite of rooms in the same hotel that the reception for Emma’s wedding was going to take place in. The few times that Margot had encountered Doug it had been awkward. At the hotel itself, she felt like she was always being watched. Katherine had made a point of not being wherever Margot was, a spectral presence that made itself constantly felt.

Today, Katherine had relented and let Margot into the hotel suite with Malcolm, Emma and André.

“If I think for an instant you might do harm to either of them you will be dead before you hit the floor” Kat hissed, and Malcolm’s warning came to mind. That wasn’t a ring on her left index finger.

“She’s been getting help” Douglas said, “So be nice until she gives you cause not to be.”

Something about the tone of his voice suggested that there was a warning in there as well. If Katherine felt the need to act, then Douglas was going to do nothing to stop her.

Entering the room Margot saw two tiny faces watching her. Doctor Voclain had warned her that she would need to take small steps. Now seeing that they were already six months old Margot realized she had already missed a great deal. Entirely too much. And the way their mother was acting it was very possible that this was the best she could hope for.

“This is Tatiana and Malcolm Mama’am” Doug said softly as Margot felt Katherine’s eyes boring into the side of her head. “Kat lost her father recently, so please don’t be the cause of any more pain for her.”

Of course, Katherine must have had parents, she didn’t just fall from the sky. Margot had met Kat’s Aunt and Uncle, they had seemed surprisingly normal, especially considering where they had lived their lives. Kat’s mother had passed away years ago, Margot understood that much even if no one had told her the details. Then she remembered that hard looking man from the photograph with Kat and her brother, the soldier. That man had died? And she must feel pain even if Margot had a difficult time reconciling that with the cold-eyed woman she had antagonized for years.

“Was Tatiana your mother’s name?” Margot asked Katherine.

“No” Kat snapped, “It’s just a name I liked.”

Then Margot remembered an article she had read recently about that Russian Grand Duchess who had been taking New York by storm. Jehane Thomas-Romanova had spent years living with Katherine and her family. Was that the name Tatiana had come from?

“They are beautiful” Margot said, “Thank you.”

Kat was still bristling, and Doug was watching her in a detached manner. Margot retreated from the room knowing that was probably the best she would do today.

Last edited:
Chapter Nine Hundred Seventeen

20th August 1951

Montreal, Canada

“They are beautiful” Margot said, “Thank you.”

Kat was still bristling, and Doug was watching her in a detached manner. Margot retreated from the room knowing that was probably the best she would do today.

That is, assuming my read on Margot's character is accurate, a huge step forward. No comments, no shade, just pleasantry.
It may need to be pointed out to Kat, as she will still on the defensive, but once she IS made aware, it could cause a major breakthrough for both of them with each other.

Long road for Margot and Kat to travel but as the saying goes a journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

It is always a surprise, even a bit of a shock to see our fathers in a role other than just Dad. Zella will see / learn of another side of her father. It will be interesting to see that unfold.

Long road for Margot and Kat to travel but as the saying goes a journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

It is always a surprise, even a bit of a shock to see our fathers in a role other than just Dad. Zella will see / learn of another side of her father. It will be interesting to see that unfold.

Wait until Zella discovers his safe and asks for a stethoscope for her birthday like Gerta did.:cool:

Good chapter.

Grandkids do have an effect of bringing warring sides of the family to look over their differences. I hope they do reconcile