FBKampfer

Banned
Unless German grenades have a serious flaw, what Gerstle did should be physically impossible.

Grenades usually ignite once the spoon is released (which happens as soon as pressure from the hand is released upon throwing) to prevent exactly such a situation from occurring in combat.

Normally once the fuse starts, it's going off no ifs ands or buts.

Additionally, I doubt Jost will be given a free hand in the matter. The Germans in particular encouraged quick thinking, initiative, and leadership at every level, even down to basic Soldaten. While Jost might be pissed, all of the officers will ensure that, though the training may be tough, nothing is done to discourage that initiative and resilience (though they may try to reframe the thinking behind it; it won't do to have Soldaten taking a flippant attitude to their superiors), nor to squash the spark that it took.

Gerstle will likely find himself as a Gefreiter here soon.

Last edited:
Chapter Seven Hundred Seventy-Two

9th November 1949

Wunsdorf-Zossen

After a few weeks of rest, it was time to get back to work. It was something that Jost relished. He had a group of shiny new Soldaten right from the training depot to play with and the encouragement of the Regiment’s Officers to do his worst. Today, it was the pebble in the can where they had an old SPz-2 with all the luxurious appointments, like the padding on the bench seats, removed and the driver was taking it through the obstacle course at full speed. On Jost’s signal the driver slammed the APC to a halt and Jost pulled the door on the back open and threw a tear gas grenade through. The Squad of Infantry in there were supposed to get out like if the vehicle was hit. The issue was that being new to the vehicle they would be totally disorientated, and it would be filling with of gas. It was brutal, but it was the fastest way to learn.

Stepping back, Jost waited to hear the pop of the grenade but that never came. If it was a dud then he would need to start the process all over again, not that he had a problem with that. No sooner than he had started to step forward then the door opened, and the teargas grenade flew out and landed at Jost’s feet. Reisser, the treasonous dog turned out to be faster on the uptake than Jost and bolted the instant it landed. In a moment that would possibly the worst of his career Jost was still trying to process what was happening when it went off.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Hans heard a commotion outside his office. When he walked outside he saw that Jost Schultz was being treated for gas exposure by a medic and a small group of Soldaten were standing around nervously.

“Managed to get yourself this time, Spear? Hans asked.

Jost looked at Hans through swollen, bloodshot eyes, the look was one of white hot fury. “One of these little shits threw it back at me” He growled.

Hans had been through the sort of training that Jost had been subjecting them to. If one of them had the wherewithal to do that then he might be someone to watch, provided that Jost didn’t stomp him to death first.

Turning to the Soldaten he saw that all six of them seemed incredibly young. The records had said that they were seventeen and eighteen years old, none of them were conscripts. These were volunteers. Without a war to cause large numbers of casualties the 8th Brigade could pick and choose who it let in, that included the 140th “Souville” Regiment. “Spear Schultz was already going to spend the next few weeks making your lives as miserable as possible” Hans said, “After this little stunt you are going to get the sort of treatment that he normally gives to the Russians and Japanese.”

They were trying to hide their fear, but Hans could see that they couldn’t maintain that bravado for long. Months from now they would probably be able to take advantage of being the ones who one upped Jost, but right this minute they were standing on rotten ice that was cracking under their feet. He also saw that a couple of them were glancing at one of their number as if expecting him to solve this somehow. He suspected that he knew who the actual culprit was. So, much for solidarity.

“You” Hans said to the Soldat, “In my office, NOW!”

Hans made his way back to the filing cabinet, “You are not to sit” He said over his shoulder, “Remain at attention until I tell you to do otherwise. Name?”

“Gerstle, Sir” The Soldat said, “How did you know?”

“I’m the XO, I know everything that happens in this Regiment, ask anyone” Hans replied, “And did you just admit to performing an action that could get you sent to the Stockade because I would have no choice but to have you up on charges?”

“No, Sir” The Soldat, Gerstle said with a gulp.

If Gerstle had managed to do what Hans thought he had done then sending him to the Stockage would be a waste. “Hypothetically, you managed to catch a teargas grenade out of the air and throw it back before it could go off?” He asked as he found the file.

“Hypothetically, Sir?” Gerstle asked, “The Spear was having us repeat that drill because he though it was fun, not because it was necessary. I might have caught the grenade and threw it back because of that.”

“Interesting talent” Hans said as he read through the file, “You understand that Spear Schultz is preparing you for war? One thing an enemy will never do is care if something is necessary.”

“I figured, Sir” Gerstle replied, “But seeing him getting a face full of gas will be worth whatever you or the Spear intend to do to me.”

Hans doubted that Gerstle would be nearly so sanguine about this matter, especially after Jost got through with him. Stefan Gerstle, age eighteen, from Karow in Berlin, his next of kin was Elke Gerstle, his mother.

“You’re from Karow?” Hans asked.

“Yes, Sir” Gerstle replied.

“I’ve been through there a few times, my family lives in Heinersdorf to the south of Karow” Hans said.

“I was aware of that, Sir” Gerstle replied, “…A friend of mine told me about that when she learned that I was coming here.”

Hans noticed that Gerstle had almost said something else but had thought better of it. It was also a bit odd that a friend might have told him something like that.

Methinks Hans may have just met his brother.

Part 56, Chapter 773
Chapter Seven Hundred Seventy-Three

14th November 1949

Wunsdorf-Zossen

“I’m perfectly aware of who Jost Schultz is” The voice of Gerstle’s half-sister said over the phone, “I’ve had to make some threats, next time he’s going lose a few bits he’s very attached to.” It sounded like she meant it.

“Are you completely insane?” Gerstle asked.

“Think long and hard before you have me answer that question.”

There was a long pause.

“I’m not suggesting that you are, but you have to admit that is the conclusion that most people would reach when you say things like that” Gerstle replied.

“The difference is that I’ve needed to be ruthless to survive and advance. If that makes some people think I’m insane then I don’t care.”

“It’s just that this was not what I was expecting” Gerstle said, changing the subject back to what they had been talking about before.

“Welcome to being an adult, Stefan. Trust me when I say few things pan out like you expect” His sister said, “I didn’t get you into anything that I didn’t think you could handle and you asked me to do this for you.”

That was a reminder that she had pulled a lot of strings to get him into this outfit and just how scarily powerful she was. He should have realized that the prestige came with a great deal of hard work, sweat prevents blood and all of that.

“By the way, you managed to impress Hans with that thing you did with the grenade, throwing it back before it went off. That was epic.”

“He has a funny way of showing it.”

“He has a job to do” His sister said, “That is why I advised you to keep your trap shut about certain things for now Stefan. Understand when I say that it can always get worse. You managed to impress the Officers with that little stunt, even if they can’t tell you so. They want to encourage quick thinking. That’s why they are keeping Jost in check. You could find yourself an acting Squad Leader and in training that is no fun.”

Jost had been held in check? That was news to Gerstle, the Spear had been running them ragged from before the sun cam up until late into the night. And what about any of this could possibly be considered fun?

“You’re just a font of joy today” Gerstle said.

There were times when he couldn’t believe he was related to this woman who was both accomplished and dangerous. If had taken a while for him to figure out that she was also barking mad. That was something that he had to bear in mind every time he talked to her. She had approached him a few years earlier and told him that they shared the same father. Gerstle had been curious for years about that but his mother had been closemouthed on the subject. Then she had told him that their father was a nightmare and that he’d been better off growing up without knowing him. He just wished that he might have been the judge of that. His mother had confirmed that the woman who had introduced herself to him was in fact his sister but wasn’t interested in saying anything else.

“You wouldn’t believe the shit our sister has gotten herself into this time. Enjoy your anonymity while it lasts, because once people figure out you’re related to us, the expectations will get a lot higher.”

“Will I ever get a chance to meet her?” Gerstle asked.

There was a heavy sigh. “One day we’ll all have a get together but I’ve no idea how to make that happen. All of us lead very different lives.”

“How many of us are there?”

“Eight, you have five brothers and two sisters. I believe that you’re the youngest Stefan because I’ve been unable to find any others after you.” She had finally told him that number. It wasn’t the first time he’d asked since he’d found out that his family was larger than he’d thought only weeks earlier.

“Something must have changed with our father in 1931” Gerstle said, he was fishing for information about the man. While his sister had never lied to him, she frequently withheld information. Just why she said to avoid their father for example.

She laughed at that. “No, our father did not change by any stretch of the imagination and it would have been 1932.”

“What happened in 1932?”

“If you ask your mother nicely, she might tell you.”

Gerstle hated when she did this. When it came to issues related to women, she said either it was none of his business or to ask his mother. The time he’d asked his sister for dating advice when he was sixteen remained the most awkward conversation he’d had in his life. When he had thought about it, he’d realized that she was secretly shy and introverted which was totally at odds with her public persona. “My mother is obviously not available” He said, “Just tell me, please. I know these things are uncomfortable for you but as you said, welcome to being an adult.”

“I can’t believe I’m having to tell you this, but oral contraceptives came onto the market that year.”

“Oh” Gerstle said, “I hadn’t thought of that.”

“Men seldom do.”

Gerstle was about to say something in response to that but another Soldat staring at Gerstle tapping his watch. “Yeah, I’ve got to go” He said, “My time is up.”

“I understand, good luck. Just remember that rash actions with no forethought seems to be a family trait, so try not to act on your impulses.” With that, she was gone. Gerstle wasn’t offended, he was aware that she didn’t put much stock in formality, a luxury that came from outranking socially nearly everyone she spoke to.

Gerstle hung up the phone and heard the coins drop in the payphone. He’d thought he was an only child for the first fourteen years of his life. Then just after the war he had been approached by this beautiful woman nearly a decade older than him who had immediately dashed his adolescent fantasies by telling him they were directly related, as in brother and sister. Ever since, she had helped with various things involving education and money. When he had joined the Heer she’d told him that their father had been in the First World War and a brother who had been in the Second. That conversation had probably changed the direction of his life.

Last edited:
I think She stills in contact with them and provides money and help if she can.

Kat and Hans Mischner.
Stefan Gerstle and Elizabeth ("Ilse") Tritten.
Three brothers to be named later, unless I've missed some.

Edit: and 1932? I'd bet that they are a hot commodity for smuggling in to the US and possibly other countries.

Edit 2: I miscounted. He has five brothers: Hans and four we haven't met.

Last edited:
Unless German grenades have a serious flaw, what Gerstle did should be physically impossible.

Grenades usually ignite once the spoon is released (which happens as soon as pressure from the hand is released upon throwing) to prevent exactly such a situation from occurring in combat.

Normally once the fuse starts, it's going off no ifs ands or buts.

Fuse ignite yes, fillers start burning, IE teargas or smoke, or exploding no. I have let the spoon release and held it long enough before i released it someone would not be able to throw it back if it was a room or a bunker. Gernade fuzes are 3 to 5 seconds before something happens, plenty of time to throw it back if it is thrown close enough.

Well, there will probably be some more now that antibiotics are around as well, especially since they'll likely be overused ITTL too.

Otto is a real POS.

Edit: and 1932? I'd bet that they are a hot commodity for smuggling in to the US and possibly other countries.
We discussed this fifty odd pages back. No reason not to have oral contraceptives much earlier if someone had done either botanical or sociological studies in Mexico earlier and noticed the local contraceptive practices and isolated the active ingredients. Pretty much the same thing happened with the Pill as happened with willow herb tea and Aspirin .

Part 56, Chapter 774
Chapter Seven Hundred Seventy-Four

19th November 1949

Wunsdorf-Zossen

“You know where the Oberstlieutenant is?” Gerstle asked.

The girl looked at him through the cracked door. “What do you need?” She asked.

Gräfin Katherine’s warning came true as Gerstle found himself unofficially assigned to be the Company gofer. A position with no real authority but was fraught with opportunities to mess up. The Hauptman had told him that it was how they learned if someone was remotely prepared for responsibility.

“The Oberst asked me to give him this” Gerstle said holding up the telegraph envelope he’d been asked to run to the XOs house. “I’ve no idea what’s in it.”

“You might have to wait” The girl replied as she opened the door wider, “Helene is in bit of a state this morning, her twenty-ninth birthday was last week, then this morning she found a grey hair. Hans is in with her. She thinks she’s getting old.”

“The Oberstlieutenant’s wife?” Gerstle asked.

“Who else?” The girl asked before she let him into the house, it was then that he noticed that she was holding a baby that peeked over her shoulder at him.

A toddler, a little boy, was playing with wooden blocks on the floor looked up at them as they walked into the sitting room.

“Say hello to your Uncle Stefan, Manni” She said to the little boy. Gerstle was shocked, who was this girl? “These children are your niece and nephew.”

Gerstle was standing there surprised with the telegraph forgotten in his hand.

“My name is Ilse, by the way. Kat might have mentioned me. She loves her secrets and sells them dear” Ilse said, “She said that you were here, so I asked around.”

This was his other sister? And she seemed to know everything. Katherine had also said she was an example of why he should keep his background secret for now.

“The Gräfin said that you’ve found yourself dealing with high expectations because people found out who you are to her” Gerstle said, for lack of anything better.

Ilse looked at him with an annoyed expression on her face. “Kat hates it when people call her that and Hans’ Father-in-Law is offering to make a grant to my University, provided that I’m his eyes within the research team.”

“That doesn’t sound so bad.”

“It would be as Elisabeth von Mischner, which is not who I am but it’s an offer that I would have to be insane to pass on.”

“What’s the big deal?” Gerstle said, “Whatever they call you, you’ll still be you.”

Ilse then looked at him like if he’d said the stupidest thing possible.

“What do you need, Soldat Gerstle?” Hans said walking into the sitting room. Gerstle was thankful for the interruption.

“This arrived for you, Sir” Gerstle said handing Hans the envelope.

Hans opened it and read the telegram, “HA!” He exclaimed, “Great news.”

Berlin

The Princess of York and her husband, Prince Philip of Edinburgh were visiting the Hohenzollern Palace with their infant daughter, Princess Alberta. Named in honor of her grandfather, George VI. Elizabeth had specially requested that Kat be present, it had been a couple of years since they had last seen each other. Elizabeth had traveled with her husband to Malta and Gibraltar for his postings in the British Navy. Kat herself had been pursuing her own career aspirations, it was a reminder that she was close to completing her training.

“I hope your father is doing better” Kat said, “I know that he has been in poor health.”

“The Doctors think he’s finally on the mend” Elizabeth replied. The King of England had suffered a severe health crisis over the prior year that had culminated with the amputation of one of his legs after surgery to fix an arterial blockage had failed. Kat had spoken at length with Kira at the time on the subject, it had been quite a struggle to get the Empress to properly care for herself. Kira’s attitude had been that she wanted to enjoy her life. The riposte that Kat had used was that without her health there was little enjoyment to be found. George VI was a good example of that.

“And how is your family?” Elizabeth asked.

“Big and strange” Kat replied.

“That’s well… different” It was clearly not the answer that Elizabeth was expecting.

The reception that they were attending was for the unveiling of the new publicity campaign for the House of Hohenzollern. It was composed of a series of illustrations depicting a somewhat idealized version of the German Imperial family’s life. Louis Ferdinand attempted to be seen as a sort of everyman with Kira at his side in his business suits and ties. He would have looked ludicrous if he had attempted the martial appearance that his father and grand father had gone for. The children were depicted how the artist saw them.

Friedrich and Michael were shown wearing their scouting uniforms, while Kat didn’t disapprove of that she had her reservations. The minor detail that their troop was being taught by Matthias Schmied was glossed over. The Jäger had learned his skills at the foot of some of the most dangerous men who had emerged from the First World War, now he had eager pupils from some of the most prominent families in the Empire. What was the worst that could happen?

Kristina was depicted as studious and inquisitive. What the public didn’t know was that she had already attempted to elbow her way into her older brother’s Scouting Troop. That was something that Kat wholeheartedly approved of. Prince Louis Ferdinand was appropriately depicted as a rambunctious six-year-old. The Devil may care grin on his face said a great deal about him. Marie and Victoria were cute, that was all that was expected of them.

Looking at the poster sized prints, Kat noticed a shadowy figure peeking in on the reception from one of the hallways. Turning to face that direction Kat said, “I know you’re unhappy and I’m sorry that things worked out this way.”

Gia stepped out of shadows. She was back to wearing the grey-black Russian peasant dresses that she had been required to wear in the convent, mostly to needle Kira at this point and making herself as miserable as possible when not at University. Recently, odds makers had started speculating on who Gia might marry, Prince Jaak of Estonia was an early favorite. She had singlehandedly shut the speculation down by personally betting a hundred Reichsmarks that she would join a celibate religious order instead. When Gia saw Kat, she hugged her and started crying.

“Who is this?” Elizabeth asked.

“Your cousin Jehane” Kat replied. She knew that Gia wanted desperately to come home and have her life go back to what it was before, but she knew that was impossible.

Last edited:
The Jäger had learned his skills at the foot of some of the most dangerous men who had emerged from the First World War, now he had eager pupils from some of the most prominent families in the Empire. What was the worst that could happen?

They're Junkers. Their mothers are probably gossiping about how they had hoped to have a few more years before they lost their boys to the Heer, while pleased the boys are enjoying themselves. Then their fathers, overjoyed, bragging, and no doubt regaling their sons with family history so as to instil a proper attitude.

It could get pretty bad.

They're Junkers. Their mothers are probably gossiping about how they had hoped to have a few more years before they lost their boys to the Heer, while pleased the boys are enjoying themselves. Then their fathers, overjoyed, bragging, and no doubt regaling their sons with family history so as to instil a proper attitude.

It could get pretty bad.
I don't think all of the boys family's are Junkers, His friends would be from the school he attends.

It could get pretty bad.
I am thinking maybe the headquarters of some obnoxious party in ashes or by some magic the local girls boarding school having not a stitch of clothing remaining. Teenage boys with special ops skills, fear and tremble indeed.

I don't think all of the boys family's are Junkers
I am thinking that there will be little difference in actual attitude. Even the boys without a 'von' will still be the sons of officers, businessmen, and civil leaders.

Chapter Seven Hundred Seventy-Two

Hans heard a commotion outside his office. When he walked outside he saw that Jost Schultz was being treated for gas exposure by a medic and a small group of Soldaten were standing around nervously.

“Managed to get yourself this time, Spear? Hans asked.

Jost looked at Hans through swollen, bloodshot eyes, the look was one of white hot fury. “One of these little shits threw it back at me” He growled.

Hans had been through the sort of training that Jost had been subjecting them to. If one of them had the wherewithal to do that then he might be someone to watch, provided that Jost didn’t stomp him to death first.

Turning to the Soldaten he saw that all six of them seemed incredibly young. The records had said that they were seventeen and eighteen years old, none of them were conscripts. These were volunteers. Without a war to cause large numbers of casualties the 8th Brigade could pick and choose who it let in, that included the 140th “Souville” Regiment. “Spear Schultz was already going to spend the next few weeks making your lives as miserable as possible” Hans said, “After this little stunt you are going to get the sort of treatment that he normally gives to the Russians and Japanese.”

They were trying to hide their fear, but Hans could see that they couldn’t maintain that bravado for long. Months from now they would probably be able to take advantage of being the ones who one upped Jost, but right this minute they were standing on rotten ice that was cracking under their feet. He also saw that a couple of them were glancing at one of their number as if expecting him to solve this somehow. He suspected that he knew who the actual culprit was. So, much for solidarity.

“You” Hans said to the Soldat, “In my office, NOW!”

Hans made his way back to the filing cabinet, “You are not to sit” He said over his shoulder, “Remain at attention until I tell you to do otherwise. Name?”

“Gerstle, Sir” The Soldat said, “How did you know?”

“I’m the XO, I know everything that happens in this Regiment, ask anyone” Hans replied, “And did you just admit to performing an action that could get you sent to the Stockade because I would have no choice but to have you up on charges?”

“No, Sir” The Soldat, Gerstle said with a gulp.

If Gerstle had managed to do what Hans thought he had done then sending him to the Stockage would be a waste. “Hypothetically, you managed to catch a teargas grenade out of the air and throw it back before it could go off?” He asked as he found the file.

“Hypothetically, Sir?” Gerstle asked, “The Spear was having us repeat that drill because he though it was fun, not because it was necessary. I might have caught the grenade and threw it back because of that.”

“Interesting talent” Hans said as he read through the file, “You understand that Spear Schultz is preparing you for war? One thing an enemy will never do is care if something is necessary.”

“I figured, Sir” Gerstle replied, “But seeing him getting a face full of gas will be worth whatever you or the Spear intend to do to me.”

Hans doubted that Gerstle would be nearly so sanguine about this matter, especially after Jost got through with him. Stefan Gerstle, age eighteen, from Karow in Berlin, his next of kin was Elke Gerstle, his mother.

“You’re from Karow?” Hans asked.

“Yes, Sir” Gerstle replied.

“I’ve been through there a few times, my family lives in Heinersdorf to the south of Karow” Hans said.

“I was aware of that, Sir” Gerstle replied, “…A friend of mine told me about that when she learned that I was coming here.”

Hans noticed that Gerstle had almost said something else but had thought better of it. It was also a bit odd that a friend might have told him something like that.

I just had the idea of Horst showing up after this happens while Jost is still getting treatment for the gas, just a social visit so to speak. Stopping off to check on his old regiment in so many words.

I don't think all of the boys family's are Junkers, His friends would be from the school he attends.
That might just make it worse. As businessmen, lawyers, civil service personnel, many of whom might have experience fighting Russia, see their sons being turned into a bunch of military crazy little Junkers, they might want to head that off and volunteer some for the little scouting group. Providing skills beside fieldcraft, some of it might even be taught in a fun way. That just gets you a bunch of little Junkers ready to make war on economies, computer systems and bureaucracy. Which has actual potential to be useful to the state, as long as you have someone to point them at. A curious happenstance if you will.

That might just make it worse. As businessmen, lawyers, civil service personnel, many of whom might have experience fighting Russia, see their sons being turned into a bunch of military crazy little Junkers, they might want to head that off and volunteer some for the little scouting group. Providing skills beside fieldcraft, some of it might even be taught in a fun way. That just gets you a bunch of little Junkers ready to make war on economies, computer systems and bureaucracy. Which has actual potential to be useful to the state, as long as you have someone to point them at. A curious happenstance if you will.
While very true, on the other hand, the German Military will have a very good reputation in ATL. It has a very good record of wining wars even at very unfavorable odds and has placed Germany at the zenit of its power. And while no one is disputing the importance of the econony and research establishment, I think that the military will most likely be seen in a very positive light. And the qualities of the military are appliceble to the civilian live as well. They teach leadership and personal responsibility as well as working in a group for a common goal. (There are certainly other points for and against...)
So while they may try to adjust the learning to more modern themes, it is very unlikely that they will have problems if their kids lern some dicipline, because by god it was good for me so it is good for "insert name"... and some sweat has never harmed a kid...

Also being a reserve officer is a good point in ones resumee...

Part 56, Chapter 775
Chapter Seven Hundred Seventy-Five

20th November 1949

Near Bloemfontein, South Africa

As Kurt huddled behind a stone wall and rifle bullets zipped by just centimeters over his head, he had two thoughts running though his mind. “Give me a Panzer and I thought that this whole thing was supposed to be over” He muttered.

“Go tell them that” Olli replied pointing in the direction that the rifle fire was coming from.

Real funny, Kurt thought to himself.

It had started as a good day, he’d gotten a dozen of Gerta’s letters. She had started writing him daily again but to get to him they had to be filtered through the labyrinthine postal system of the OKW, the result was that they had gotten bunched up in Cape Town. Not that Kurt minded, he’d opened them one at a time and read about the goings on at home. Gerta had included a photograph of her and Suse Rosa.

Then had come word that they were to go out and make an arrest of a prominent Boer leader who was supposed to be sitting in his house. There were holes in that information big enough to drive an Aircraft Carrier through. The house in question turned out to be a fortified compound. The Company that Kurt had attached himself to had immediately gone to ground as they came under fire from rifles, machine guns and rockets.

Two men from the Company crawled up to Kurt, he recognized the radio operator and the Hauptfeldwebel. He had a sink suspicion as to why they were coming to him.

“The Hauptman got hit, Sir, and no one knows where the Oberlieutenant is” The Spear said, meaning that though he was just supposed to observe, the command of this Company had just fallen into his lap.

“Then start shooting back, give them something to think about other than shooting at us” Kurt said.

The Spear was happy with that order and Kurt started hearing clatter of their rifles against the sharper sound of the American Garand rifles. He heard the ripping sound of an MG 42. Getting on the radio he heard that air support was inbound, but reinforcements were still some time away. He had a hundred odd men looking for him to get as few of them killed as possible and as he watched one of them got shot through the head. They couldn’t stay hiding behind this wall or they would get picked off one by one. This was a knife fight, the only way to win it was to close with the Boers so that the greater weight of fire from their rifles would be a decisive factor.

“Spread the word, to pop flares” Kurt said to the Spear.

Air support was incoming, due any second. They would need to move the instant that happened.

“Over the top on my signal!” Kurt yelled, pulling the whistle that he had carried out of habit but never had much use for until this moment. There was a loud CRACK! As the sonic boom from the first airplane arrived and the duller booms of bombs landing on the compound. The second and third airplane arrived seconds later. Kurt had the whistle in his mouth blowing on it even as the fourth and fifth airplanes arrived. Jumping to his feet, Kurt vaulted the wall not noticing that he lost the broad brimmed hat that the 2nd Life Hussars wore in the field when he did so and was running towards the compound. It must have only taken no more than a minute to run the fifty or sixty meters from the wall to the first of the outbuildings but for Kurt it seemed to stretch for an eternity. Hitting yet another stone wall he saw that there were a dozen Boers huddling on the other side. Without thought he had his rifle to his shoulder and fired. The 6.5mm bullets tore through them and Kurt saw a couple of them take off running across the compound only to get hit by a mortar shell. The 50mm mortars must have been deployed while he’d been leading the charge. Not that he objected.

The other men started arriving and they started working to clear the buildings. Olli joined Kurt with a grin on his face. “Your hat, Sir” He said, “You’re going to need a new one.” Kurt saw that it had a hole going in one side and out the other. That had been what had knocked it off his head. Olli had paused to grab Kurt’s hat before running to catch up. While that was the sort of thing that one could brag about in the Officer’s mess, all that ran through Kurt’s head was how close that had come to making Gerta a widow.

----------------------------------------------------------------

“You’re getting decorated for this, Major” The Oberst said, “No excuses this time.”

“That could be complicated, Sir” Kurt replied.

The 2nd Hussars 2nd Company had been relieved by elements of the 1st Fallschirmjäger Division. The sound of the helicopters had been the most beautiful sound that Kurt had ever heard in his life even if the fighting was mostly over by that point. The rest of the afternoon had been spent tracking down the horses. The butcher’s bill had been fourteen men and an equal number wounded. That number had included three of the Company’s Officers. Kurt’s quick thinking was credited for defeating and/or preventing the escape of the Boer’s defending the compound. After the shooting stopped they discovered that it had been a planned ambush and that there may have been nearly twice their number inside the compound. It was hard to tell because the Luftwaffe had reduced most of the buildings to ruins.

“Bullshit” The Oberst said getting out a bottle of whiskey from his desk, “I had figured that you would probably get a Red Eagle for the campaign because you are due, but you just got a gold leaf for that PLM of yours and whatever else the OKH and the Reichstag wants to throw at you. Celebration is in order.”

“I guess, Sir” Kurt said, as the Oberst handed him a glass.