Anti-catholicism is also a thing in the USA, with various people inveighing against 'papists.' Witness the pearl-clutching alarm about Jack Kennedy. Or anti-Mormonism or, heck, the church down the block from your own.

Further comment averted lest this turn into something best pursued in Chat.

I think the potential is there for more serious problems in the USA. One possibly VERY bad thing: A German citizen who happens to be black gets lynched in the south. (Or even gets murdered by the KKK elsewhere--the KKK isn't a purely southern thing.)
Another possibility: A black German assigned to the embassy or a consulate gets beaten, murdered, or simply treated as less than his rank.

I'm not sure how many black Germans there are (there have to be some, considering how dominant Germany is becoming on the world stage), but I think they'd be very strongly dissuaded from visiting the US, and simply wouldn't get appointed to a diplomatic post.

I have been thinking about this, ITL the Junker mentality must be something to behold. Their history now reads:
  • Great-Great-Grandpa fought and won during the liberation wars against Napoleon.
  • Great Grandpa fought and won against the Danes, Austrians, and French thus created the German Reich.
  • Grandpa fought during the Great War and held off 90% of the world's population by their lonesome.
  • Pa fought in the East all the way to Pusan.
  • Your elder brother fought during police actions in South Africa.
Don't forget Great-Great-Great-Grandpa who kicked ass under Alte Fritz.

Md139115

Banned
I have been thinking about this, ITL the Junker mentality must be something to behold. Their history now reads:
  • Great-Great-Grandpa fought and won during the liberation wars against Napoleon.
  • Great Grandpa fought and won against the Danes, Austrians, and French thus created the German Reich.
  • Grandpa fought during the Great War and held off 90% of the world's population by their lonesome.
  • Pa fought in the East all the way to Pusan.
  • Your elder brother fought during police actions in South Africa.
So what are you going to do for us today???
I mean ancient Spartans must go holy crap those Prussian are fucking hardcore Gung HO!

I imagine that a Nazi reading this TL and this post in particular would probably turn to his skinhead friends and say: “Well, it’s a slimy cosmopolitan, liberal, and clearly Jewish TL, but at least they finally bred the Master Race in spite of it!”

Now we just need to ship Freddy and Suga to spite them... :evilsmile:

I imagine that a Nazi reading this TL and this post in particular would probably turn to his skinhead friends and say: “Well, it’s a slimy cosmopolitan, liberal, and clearly Jewish TL, but at least they finally bred the Master Race in spite of it!”

Nah, it won't spite them. The Japanese were honorary Aryans

Speaking of Nazis...The Scrolls of the Elders of Zion were not a German publication...they were American and heavily sponsored by Henry Ford. Were they published ITTL.

If so, the movie Gentleman's Agreement would be a pale comparison to the ugly life American Jewry would be facing.

Speaking of Nazis...The Scrolls of the Elders of Zion were not a German publication...they were American and heavily sponsored by Henry Ford. Were they published ITTL.

If so, the movie Gentleman's Agreement would be a pale comparison to the ugly life American Jewry would be facing.

The Protocols, you mean? Those were fabricated by the Tsar’s secret police.

FBKampfer

Banned
Anti-catholicism is also a thing in the USA, with various people inveighing against 'papists.' Witness the pearl-clutching alarm about Jack Kennedy. Or anti-Mormonism or, heck, the church down the block from your own.

Further comment averted lest this turn into something best pursued in Chat.

As a means of equality, I demand we burn all the churches!

I would expect someone to publish the Protocols of the Elders of Zion again; possibly Ford would have done so in this timeline.

I think that with the defeat of the Soviet Union and the discrediting of Communism thru out Europe, Jewish members of former Communist Parties are going to be made scapegoats for everything that is going wrong in their countries.
If they were not imprisoned during the war, they were dismissed from their jobs and discriminated from getting any but the most manual of labor.
I could see members of the KPD being round up after the attack on the Palace and young men who were members of the KPD like Erich Honecker being sent to the Seebaitallion Infantry far away from Europe as possible.
In the former Soviet Union, Jewish members of the CPSU are being purged from the bureaucracy, schools, factories, and everywhere else in society, and non Jewish members of the party are using Anti-Semitism to save their own neck and it is most likely working.
With that in mind there is I think that many Jews who were members of the various Communist Parties are being made to feel uncomfortable and unwelcome in their own country and are now emigrating to somewhere that will take them in, but I do not see any countries that will let them in.
The only place for them is going to be the Palestine Mandate because it is considered to be nothing but dust, flies, swamps and wastelands, and without the threat of OTL Nazi Germany, the need of the British government to appease the Arabs before IOTL WW II would not have led to a severe restriction on Jewish Immigrants to Palestine, and after the end of ITTL war there should be an uptick in the numbers of Jewish immigrants.

Part 55, Chapter 771
Chapter Seven Hundred Seventy-One

6th November 1949

Berlin

“It wasn’t nice what she did” Anne said to Kris who was sitting shell-shocked on her bed. What was Kris supposed to say? She was the one who had violated Anne’s privacy and she thought it had ended when Kat had given her a tongue lashing last week. It turned out that it was a temporary reprieve because Kat was waiting for the mail to arrive and for her to have a couple hours to spare. Kris had woken up on Sunday morning to Kat unpacking a thick accordion file that contained all the record of Kris’ life. Education, police and medical reports and a psychological profile. A large amount of that material was of things that she had told no one, but it was in there. Then Kat had gone through it with her, piece by piece with Anne present the entire time. It was obvious that it had been done to balance the scales and give Kris a taste of her own medicine, but some of those things…

It was all in the files in black and white. A greenstick fracture in her left arm when she was six. Broken collarbone when she was eight, that her mother told the Doctor it was from a fall down stairs both times. Both of those incidents had been reported but nothing had come of it. Her teachers had known something was wrong. The way she flinched whenever anyone touched her. When she was eleven she had thought she was clever because she was able to steal food from her teacher’s desk before class started. That apple or sandwich was frequently the only breakfast she had that term. The teacher had known and had left it there for her to find on purpose.

Then had come the final police report. In February of 1941 it was reported to police by her school that she had not shown up for class for several days. Attempts to contact her family had been rebuffed. Kris had been strongly suspected of being physically abused and was certainly neglected. What police had found at her parent’s house was an appalling situation. The words “unsanitary conditions” were used but Kris knew it was an understatement. Kris had been found laying on her bed, just a thin mattress of the floor of a tiny room with no other furniture. She’d had a high fever, was malnourished and badly dehydrated. Between work and their preferred drunken state while at home, they hadn’t cared that Kris was deathly ill. Instead, they seemed more upset that she had been unable to do the housework without the resources to do it, like had been happening for years. Then her father had mentioned that he wished that Kris would just hurry up and die so they could get on with their day. Once they had succeeded in beating her into submission so that she wouldn’t bother them they didn’t care what happened her.

All Kris remembered of that episode was waking up in the hospital. Her childhood had ended when she had learned that her life wasn’t supposed to have been that way. She got sent to the State School where she had found herself surrounded genuine orphans and felt like a phony.

The psychological profile was better. Mostly it included things that weren’t surprises. She had trouble forming healthy relationships, she distanced herself from people to avoid painful or awkward situations and she was self-sabotaging. It was around the margins however that things that were said about her became uncomfortable. The Psychiatrist who had spoken with her had concluded that she might be prone to aberrant sexual behavior and promiscuity. Had he even payed attention to who she was at all or had he made assumptions based solely on her difficult start?

After Kat left Anne had stayed in the room. Kris looked at her, “You understand why she did that?”

“She wanted you to know how felt” Anne replied.

“Do think that made us even?”

“No” Anne said to Kris’ surprise, “And there was more to it than just getting even. You had access to information that you had no business having and you spread it around.”

That was a horrifying thought. What would Anne do with the information that she had just learned about her? This was what Kat had wanted, Kris to realize that she was completely at the mercy of another person who might not be motivated to keep her secrets. That was why Kat had done things this way.

“What your parents did to you wasn’t your fault” Anne said abruptly changing the direction of the conversation.

Kris looked at her, Kat had stated that part of the reason why what she had done was so reprehensible was because Anne was exactly the sort of person who they were trying to protect. Anne wasn’t ever going to be one of Kira’s eyes, but she was a good friend to them. The sort of friend that they were going to need.

“I know that” Kris replied, “But it was always the same. If you hadn’t misbehaved and made your father angry then your arm wouldn’t be in a cast. I remember my mother telling me that and her forcing me to repeat it back to her until she was convinced I understood.”

“That’s terrible” Anne said reaching other to pat Kris’ arm only to have her flinch away. Kris realized what had just happened and just wanted to flee the room. She had thought she had stopped doing that and there was no way that she deserved any compassion from Anne.

Last edited:
“What your parents did to you wasn’t your fault” Anne said abruptly changing the direction of the conversation.

Anne wasn’t ever going to be one of Kira’s eyes, but she was a good friend to them. The sort of friend that they were going to need.

Very few people would be as insightful and all-around nice as Anne is. Indeed, if the others understand that and their need for such a friend, they will always have the help and support they need. This is a refreshingly positive direction for everyone involved (instead of the common dystopic horrorstories), thank you.

Part 56, Chapter 772
Chapter Seven Hundred Seventy-Two

9th November 1949

Wunsdorf-Zossen

After a few weeks of rest, it was time to get back to work. It was something that Jost relished. He had a group of shiny new Soldaten right from the training depot to play with and the encouragement of the Regiment’s Officers to do his worst. Today, it was the pebble in the can where they had an old SPz-2 with all the luxurious appointments, like the padding on the bench seats, removed and the driver was taking it through the obstacle course at full speed. On Jost’s signal the driver slammed the APC to a halt and Jost pulled the door on the back open and threw a tear gas grenade through. The Squad of Infantry in there were supposed to get out like if the vehicle was hit. The issue was that being new to the vehicle they would be totally disorientated, and it would be filling with of gas. It was brutal, but it was the fastest way to learn.

Stepping back, Jost waited to hear the pop of the grenade inside the vehicle. Instead the door flew back open, the teargas grenade flew back out and landed at Jost’s feet. Reisser, the treasonous dog turned out to be faster on the uptake than Jost and bolted the instant it landed. In a moment that would possibly the worst of his career Jost was still trying to process what was happening when it went off.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Hans heard a commotion outside his office. When he walked outside he saw that Jost Schultz was being treated for gas exposure by a medic and a small group of Soldaten were standing around nervously.

“Managed to get yourself this time, Spear? Hans asked.

Jost looked at Hans through swollen, bloodshot eyes, the look was one of white hot fury. “One of these little shits threw it back at me” He growled.

Hans had been through the sort of training that Jost had been subjecting them to. If one of them had the wherewithal to do that then he might be someone to watch, provided that Jost didn’t stomp him to death first.

Turning to the Soldaten he saw that all six of them seemed incredibly young. The records had said that they were seventeen and eighteen years old, none of them were conscripts. These were volunteers. Without a war to cause large numbers of casualties the 8th Brigade could pick and choose who it let in, that included the 140th “Souville” Regiment. “Spear Schultz was already going to spend the next few weeks making your lives as miserable as possible” Hans said, “After this little stunt you are going to get the sort of treatment that he normally gives to the Russians and Japanese.”

They were trying to hide their fear, but Hans could see that they couldn’t maintain that bravado for long. Months from now they would probably be able to take advantage of being the ones who one upped Jost, but right this minute they were standing on rotten ice that was cracking under their feet. He also saw that a couple of them were glancing at one of their number as if expecting him to solve this somehow. He suspected that he knew who the actual culprit was. So, much for solidarity.

“You” Hans said to the Soldat, “In my office, NOW!”

Hans made his way back to the filing cabinet, “You are not to sit” He said over his shoulder, “Remain at attention until I tell you to do otherwise. Name?”

“Gerstle, Sir” The Soldat said, “How did you know?”

“I’m the XO, I know everything that happens in this Regiment, ask anyone” Hans replied, “And did you just admit to performing an action that could get you sent to the Stockade because I would have no choice but to have you up on charges?”

“No, Sir” The Soldat, Gerstle said with a gulp.

If Gerstle had managed to do what Hans thought he had done then sending him to the Stockade would be a waste. “Hypothetically, you managed to catch a teargas grenade out of the air and throw it back before it could go off?” He asked as he found the file.

“Hypothetically, Sir?” Gerstle asked, “The Spear was having us repeat that drill because he though it was fun, not because it was necessary. I might have caught the grenade and threw it back because of that.”

“Interesting talent” Hans said as he read through the file, “You understand that Spear Schultz is preparing you for war? One thing an enemy will never do is care if something is necessary.”

“I figured, Sir” Gerstle replied, “But seeing him getting a face full of gas will be worth whatever you or the Spear intend to do to me.”

Hans doubted that Gerstle would be nearly so sanguine about this matter, especially after Jost got through with him. Stefan Gerstle, age eighteen, from Karow in Berlin, his next of kin was Elke Gerstle, his mother.

“You’re from Karow?” Hans asked.

“Yes, Sir” Gerstle replied.

“I’ve been through there a few times, my family lives in Heinersdorf to the south of Karow” Hans said.

“I was aware of that, Sir” Gerstle replied, “…A friend of mine told me about that when she learned that I was coming here.”

Hans noticed that Gerstle had almost said something else but had thought better of it. It was also a bit odd that a friend might have told him something like that.

Last edited:
If Gerstle had managed to do what Hans thought he had done then sending him to the Stockage would be a waste. “Hypothetically, you managed to catch a teargas grenade out of the air and held the spoon preventing it from going off until it got thrown back?” He asked as he found the file.
That..... takes some serious reaction times.