I agree it was a pointless act and will blow up spectacularly in the Japanese face as it will have reinvigotated Germany and its alies will to fight the war to a conclusion. This has been achieved just at the point the Germans and alies where at their most war weary after the long soviet war. Giving your enemy a second wind is a fairly foolish thing to do

I don't see Emil and Jacob clashing too much. Their specializations are completely different, making the are of responsibility clear. Von Schmidt's specializations are Intelligence (the technical part, not the human resources part), Maritime Strategy and Dreadnought command, while Holz's are Logistics, and Paratrooper command (he also became quite good at politiking and public relations). For all of Von Schmidt's genius, he can't juggle the responsibilities of a Fleet Admiral with the logistics required by the Land Forces on the other side of the world from the end of the supply chain, disregarding the fact that an Admiral doesn't automatically translate into a General.
Personally, I would also have another general specialized in Armour Doctrine, who cut his teeth in Poland and Russia, like Hermann Balck and Heinz Guderian to play Patton (although both were frankly superior in skill to Georgie) to Holz's Eisenhower.
That way, we'd have a Theatre Commander (Holz), in charge of Logistics, Combined Arms Integration at strategic level and overall strategy, the Navy Branch Commander (von Schmidt) in charge of, well, the Navy (and probably the Marines), and potentially a Heer General in charge of the implementation of said strategy on an operational level.

Last edited:
I don't see Emil and Jacob clashing too much. Their specializations are completely different, making the are of responsibility clear. Von Schmidt's specializations are Intelligence (the technical part, not the human resources par t), Maritime Strategy and Dreadnought command, while Holz's are Logistics, and Paratrooper command (he also became quite good at politiking and public relations). For all of Von Schmidt's genius, he can't juggle the responsibilities of a Fleet Admiral with the logistics required by the Land Forces on the other side of the world from the end of the supply chain, disregarding the fact that an Admiral doesn't automatically translate into a General.
Personally, I would also have another general specialized in Armour Doctrine, who cut his teeth in Poland and Russia, like Hermann Balck and Heinz Guderian to play Patton (although both were frankly superior in skill to Georgie) to Holz's Eisenhower.
That way, we'd have a Theatre Commander (Holz), in charge of Logistics, Combined Arms Integration at strategic level and overall strategy, the Navy Branch Commander (von Schmidt) in charge of, well, the Navy (and probably the Marines), and potentially a Heer General in charge of the implementation of said strategy on an operational level.
Actually i can see Schmidt dropping pretty much most of the command of Manchuria into Emil and focus on first, to find out from WHERE the Biological Weapons came from and either destroy it or assault it with the MA to recover the documents about the diseases used..... and to capture Shiro Ishii and his gang of psychopaths.

Last edited:
IIRC, the kamikaze hasn't made their debut yet.

Heck,the Japs will't like those bad guys
Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-621-2942-17%2C_Schwere_Flak_einer_K%C3%BCstenbatterie.jpg

Actually i can see Schmidt dropping pretty much most of the command of Manchuria into Emil and focus on first, to find out from WHERE the Biological Weapons came from and either destroy it or assault it with the MA to recover the documents about the diseases used..... and to capture Shiro Ishii and his gang of psychopaths.
Well, of course Emil will take over the overall command of the Theatre, that's what Berlin is sending him there for, but Schmidt can't just go traipsing through China to find a few dozens Japanese. There are probably some Abwher resources in China who are probably turning heaven and earth to do just that. Once their position is sussed out, the SKA will probably be sent to either kill or capture them. He could probably oversee the hunt, but he can't just drop the Fleet and go hunting.

Well, of course Emil will take over the overall command of the Theatre, that's what Berlin is sending him there for, but Schmidt can't just go traipsing through China to find a few dozens Japanese. There are probably some Abwher resources in China who are probably turning heaven and earth to do just that. Once their position is sussed out, the SKA will probably be sent to either kill or capture them. He could probably oversee the hunt, but he can't just drop the Fleet and go hunting.
He its likely enforcing the Blockade of Japan, and after the Biological Attack, in addition to the Declaration of total Blockade, realizing the destruction of the ports of Japan.

Afterwards i can suspect that he may be the one to choose the selected target for Quartum's first use.

Given things, the likely effects and sequels and the need for a an overwhelming impact upon their psyche...... Schmidt it's likely to goad the Japanese to believe that there will be Heer landings upon Okinawa, make then gather an ingent amount of troops, then order the launch of the Quartum Rockets against the islands of Okinawa.

After that, if there would be a likely effect alike to Hiroshima and Nagasaki upon the Japanese psyche, but possibly even worse, as i can imagine that survivors would be sent with recordings after the strike, of what would follow if the Japanese refused an unconditional surrender.

And the most sad, it's that Okinawa will be chosen due to its distance from the Mainland, ensuring that the effects of the Sarin will be contained in the island itself

Part 38, Chapter 469
Chapter Four Hundred Sixty-Nine

2nd July 1945

Berlin

“It’s where the action is” Doug said as Kat wandered around the studio that he used. It was a warm room, painted white with grey carpet. The bay windows had been covered with paper to prevent shadows. With much of what had been Army Group South going suddenly preparing for movement and only one destination likely Doug’s Agent had told him that it seemed like every newspaper and magazine in the world was interested in photographs of the Russian Far East and Manchuria. Doug had an “in” with the 4th Panzer Division that he was expected to use to get those. Helene wasn’t thrilled about that development, it meant that Hans was going to be in Russia and China for who knew how long.

“I understand that” Kat said, “But just be careful is all.”

“Considering who that’s coming from I’ll take that under advisement” Doug said with a smile, “Besides, I have to come back otherwise that will totally ruin my plans to go home next winter.”

“You’re going home?” Kat asked.

“Yes” Doug said, “I met this beautiful woman who’s smart and courageous, after a couple years I think it’s long past time I introduced her to my parents.”

“Do I know her?” Kat asked, “And what makes you think she’ll put her whole life on hold to go all the way to Canada with you?”

“I think you know her pretty well” Doug answered, “And it’s an open invitation of how she might consider using a week or so of her time. After all, what’s more fun than spending it with my apathetic father and judgmental mother during the absolute worst time of the year to go there.”

“It depends” Kat said, “Is that any worse than Russian politics like I get to contend with next month?”

“That’s a bit of an obligation, isn’t it?”

In August, Kira was finally planning on following through with the long-delayed task of laying the Romanovs to rest in Saint Petersburg. Kat, along with most of the other Ladies of the Court were expected to travel with the Empress. That would also provide cover for Gianna. The Press was expected be on the lookout for the mysterious Jehane Thomas-Romanova. That was also the reason why Kat had arranged for a few other young women matching her description who would also be coming along.

“Yes, it is” Kat answered as she took off the coat that it was really too warm a day for and draped it over the chair that was the only piece of furniture in the room, “At least a plague infested warzone is fairly straight forward.”

“It seems that way” Doug said, “Now, what did you want to do here today?”

“I was talking to Doctor Tangeman” Kat said, “She said that I need to see myself how others see me.”

“And you think that I can help with that?” Doug asked.

“You are the one with the camera” Kat replied, “No matter what happens I need you keep shooting. I get to see you destroy the negatives and I keep the photographs afterwards.”

“You aren’t asking for much are you” Doug said with a bit more sarcasm than he intended.

“I’m doing this because I want to be able to trust you” Kat said, she had worn her hair loose today in the way she seldom did because she thought it made her look much younger than nearly twenty-three. “Besides while you’re in the Far East you’ll want something to remember me by” She said with slight smile. With most other women that would have had a different meaning. However, one of the rules that Kat had made clear with Doug was that with her it was look but don’t touch.

Doug snapped the first photograph of her sitting on the chair, with her usual shy smile.

An instant later her Karambit appeared in her hand. Doug had noticed that she always kept it within easy reach. So, there were limits to her trust. Hardly a surprise. Then to Doug’s shock she started unbuttoning her blouse.

“Why did you stop?” Kat asked.

“For starters, what do you think you are doing?” Doug replied.

“A couple weeks ago I had Soren Yount walk in on me starkers” Kat said.

“That explains the broken nose” Doug said with a bit of a smile.

“Yeah” Kat said, “But if I want a man to see me like that I want it on my terms, not some awkward accident and I know you’ve taken photographs like this before.”

“Are you sure?”

“Why wouldn’t I be?” Kat asked as she resumed unbuttoning. She had clearly made up her mind to do this before she had come here today.

Kat took her time getting completely undressed. She had asked Doug to photograph her as he saw her. There were a few surprises, her breasts were a bit fuller and hips slightly wider then he had expected. Over all, she radiated a strength and athleticism that made her totally different from the models that Doug had photographed in the past.

Later that evening as the Sun was setting, after the photographs were developed Doug went with Kat up onto the roof. He touched a match to the negatives and they watched as the celluloid swiftly turned to crumbled ashes in a galvanized bucket. Kat had the envelope containing most of the photographs in the pocket of her coat, Doug had no idea what she intended to do with them. He had asked her for the first photograph, the one with her sitting on the chair and she had agreed to that.

“Thank you for doing this for me” Kat said and then to his surprise she kissed him which was even more shocking than her previous actions that afternoon. While Doug was recovering from that Kat walked towards the roof hatch. “Just come back to me” She said with a smile and disappeared down the ladder.

Last edited:
So Kat is trying exposure therapy, in a distinctly literal sense. It makes sense for PTSD, and you continue to display a deep and impressive understanding of that side of human psychology.

Last edited: