Stanley Kubrick's 1974 Psychedelic Lord of the Rings Project, starring the Beatles

Here's some interesting information I came across about the aborted project.

Lord of the Rings
As strange as it sounds, John Lennon was once pushing for a Beatles version of “Lord of the Rings." McCartney said, “John wanted us to buy the film rights to Lord of the Rings. It was very much his idea.” It seems that Lennon had the intent of casting himself in the most attention-getting role. The Beatles version would have had John Lennon playing the grasping, thieving creature Gollum, Paul McCartney as the hero Frodo, George Harrison as the wise wizard Gandalf and Ringo Starr playing Frodo’s devoted sidekick Sam. The Beatles plan fell flat when the author J.R.R. Tolkein, who still had the film rights, rejected the idea of the Beatles doing it. Also the possibility of Lennon getting the staring role might not have set well with the other Beatles. “The strength of the other films which we made is that we’re all equal”, was Paul’s thoughts on the matter. Although the soundtrack would have certainly been interesting, can you imagine the Beatles doing this film with 1960’s the special effects? This was a few years before “2001: A Space Odyssey”, considered as the first of the “modern” special effects films.
So, the group as a whole disliked the project because it seemed to be very Lennon centric, and therefore unequal. It was Lennon's idea, so you might want to run with that idea. There's a possibility, from reading this, that you could end up with a situation where the rest of the group doesn't really want to do it, and the project evolves from a "Beatles LOTR project, to a partially Lennon financed, Stanley Kubrick (Assuming Lennon or someone else convinces him that it can in fact be filmed.) LOTR film in which Lennon plays the part of Gollum.

I think Lennon as Gollum is a role comparable to his role as Gripweed in How I won the War if you understand how truncated the film will be, even if you split it up into two films. I think you'd probably end up with two films, because otherwise Kubrick won't direct it in all probability. Filming lasts for Lennon at least 6 weeks, since that's how long, I think, the How I won the War shoot lasted. So, filming lasts for him roughly from October to November, and possibly December 1969. The rest of the film probably takes a good while longer to complete. It's possible, knowing film shoots that the film begins shooting a good while earlier than that. Possibly sometime while Lennon himself is busy, even so, knowing the subject material it'd still take a good while to finish. Most of 1970. I'd imagine.

I'm thinking for continuity reasons, Kubrick would want to film both halves of his adaptation at the same time, or at the very least John's tendency towards changing his image would make him inclined towards filming all those scenes in 1969, rather than waiting to see if John shaves his beard off, or seeing if he's willing to regrow it latter on. Come to think about it, this probably means the film would generally take longer than I'd originally envisioned. Maybe filming goes into early 1971. In any case, the first half is probably ready for a release in Summer 1971. It'd need a big budget, and I'm not sure if Lennon's money had do it alone. But as "Lord of the Rings" is in theaters, Kubrick is working on editing "The Return of the King" into a film. Whether or not the sequel is actually released depends a lot on how "Lord of the Rings" does. I'm guessing it's released around 1973.

I have absolutely no idea how it would be cast aside from Lennon as Gollum.

Also, this situation probably means A Clockwork Orange doesn't get made.

Last edited:
All the points made about what a disaster a Beatles-LOTR film would have been, despite Kubrick as director, have forced me to change my initial conclusion; that it would have been an epic masterpiece, and agree with those points. But Glass Onion's suggestion on the other hand about a Kubrick-Lennon collaboration has more promise and plausibility, that would have been a very interesting and much better film than one starring all four Beatles. I guess I was also a little overconfident in the Fab Four's acting abilities.
(I'm not sure why the OP posits a film in 1974, considering the quote he provides seems to suggest the film would've been made around 69-71.
I just considered how meticulous, tedious and time-consuming Kubrick's film making process was. During the later part of his career, he spent more and more time on making a film, like Eyes Wide Shut which took more than a year to film, he had his actors in The Shining rehearse endlessly and the research he did for his Napoleon script as well as his A.I. project, was tremendous and also took very long. Considering how "immense" LOTR is, I figure if he started working on it around 1970 it would take at least 1974 for it to be released in theaters.
I have absolutely no idea how it would be cast aside from Lennon as Gollum.
What about my casting suggestions in the OP? Jack Nicholson as Aragorn?

Anyone else have any suggestion for a possible cast list?

Alec Guiness as Gandalf?
Malcolm McDowell as Frodo?
Peter Cushing as Saruman?
Marlon Brando as Denethor?

Also, if it gets pushed to the mid-70's, A Clockwork Orange could still be made, but whatever Kubrick made between that and the Shining would probably not make it.