Sports WI: Michael Jordan doesnt retire in 93

What if Michael Jordan didnt retire in 93 and instead stayed in the NBA up until 1998 (you may have to butterfly away his fathers death). Would the bulls continue their dominance? Would Jordan ever be traded to another team?

We'll turn to the Super Fans for their opinion.

Bob: Ok gentlemen, the Bulls are preparing to defend their crown, and gentlemen, the only question is not will they repeat, but how many times?

Pat: You know, I don’t think were talking a repeat, a threepeat, or even a fourpeat.

Carl: That’s right, were talking a minimum eightpeat.

Well, there's a number of factors that come into play. The first is that it is unlikely-Not impossible, but unlikely-that Jordan is going to win 8 titles. The Rockets in particular were good those two years (Though there are arguments that the Rockets were only able to win those two titles due to the fact that Jordan wasn't there). 7 titles? Yes, I could believe that. Jordan would have to deal with a young Shaq in Orlando, as well as Pat Riley's Knicks and a young, talented Pacers squad, as well as a decent Cleveland team. That's quite a few obstacles to 8 straight titles. But....He's still Michael Jordan. So, at best, I'm saying that the Bulls reach the NBA Finals twice, both times against the Rockets, win one and lose one.

It also plays a major role in the expansion of the NBA if Michael Jordan is around for another two years.

Grant

Well, there's a number of factors that come into play. The first is that it is unlikely-Not impossible, but unlikely-that Jordan is going to win 8 titles. The Rockets in particular were good those two years (Though there are arguments that the Rockets were only able to win those two titles due to the fact that Jordan wasn't there). 7 titles? Yes, I could believe that. Jordan would have to deal with a young Shaq in Orlando, as well as Pat Riley's Knicks and a young, talented Pacers squad, as well as a decent Cleveland team. That's quite a few obstacles to 8 straight titles. But....He's still Michael Jordan. So, at best, I'm saying that the Bulls reach the NBA Finals twice, both times against the Rockets, win one and lose one.

It also plays a major role in the expansion of the NBA if Michael Jordan is around for another two years.

If Jordan stays, They probably win four in a row, and I don't see Horace Grant leaving in the Summer of 1994(although I am not 100% sure about that). If he stays, they had a good chance to win five, although I don't see them getting Rodman in the Summer of 95 with Grant in tow.

And, it also depends on who Orlando picks up. Maybe they trade for Rodman, pair him with Shaq, and him, Penny, and Dennis lead the Magic to two or three in a row.

Also, the NBA of the late-90's and 00's are different. The Trail Blazers probably win one or two with Shaq not in LA, and the Kings probably win a couple(those teams should have won anyway because they were better than the Lakers, who won because they had those series handed to them).

Remember that the NBA was investigating Michael Jordan for gambling just before he up and "retired".

I'm saying that if he didn't do so, the NBA suspends him for a year based on postive findings of the investigation. This damages the NBA and Jordan's reputation.

Jordan rejoins the Bulls after his one-year suspension, but in the interim loses his Nike contract, and the respect of many fans. The Bulls may or may not start another string of championships, but the reaction to that would be more muted than in our day.

Jordan's NBA suspension would begin a re-evaluation of gambling in pro sports, and of the star status accorded to athletes -- at least in the NBA. It is basketball's "steroids" moment.

Ultimately, Jordan is investigated by the Justice Department based on his contacts with organized-crime figures. Jordan becomes the Pete Rose of his sport.

... then again, maybe not. ;)