Southpaw: The Ballgame Between the States (Archangel Michael, Georgepatton, Gryphon)

Exhibition Game, Tris Speaker

wgKEmAK.png

For once, I find myself in agreement with my Confederate counterpart: the 1984 59th US-CS Exhibition Game should not have been played. And neither should the 58th, nor the 60th, nor any other such game.

Spare me the usual refrain: 'Engagement is a positive good!' and 'This game was a landmark in North American race relations!' and 'But when else will I get to let a slave-invested fried-chicken franchise jerk off all over my face and call me bitch for a $150 a ticket!' It's all accommodationist claptrap, and always has been. No one here is clean: the US team was clearly willing to leave their black players behind to take part in the exhibition game, and even when they changed course, the team itself had hardly more than a token contingent, the systemic racism of the Northern leagues as virulent, if not as open, as anything in the South. And the CS team refused at first to play at all, almost to a man, until management came down hard with the promises of contract cancellations and exile to minor league teams. The grandiose 'charitability' of McCullough 'granting' two of his players the right to rollick around a diamond in a land of bondage is so ridiculous as to inspire nausea, and that Allred or Franklin felt any measure of gratitude to him or pride in this 'accomplishment' is beyond my ability to describe.

That so minor a change as allowing men bound in irons and sold like farm equipment to have some tiny measure of rights - and not even rights as human beings, but 'rights as sportsmen!' (thank you for that charming bit of legal vomit, Justice Ford, we can put it on the shelf right next to the 3/5th compromise) - provoked such hysteria across the Confederacy is appalling. That such an 'outrage' as black and white players sharing the same field drove thousands to support the 'Boycott the Game' movement is revolting. That the boycott gathered steam everywhere save Georgia, where as much as $40 million (CS) in tourism spending was on the line is just another sick chapter in the American worship of the Almighty dollar, whether green or butternut.

Addendum: Tris Speaker wishes to express regret that this article contained content that some readers found offensive, and that no insult whatsoever towards the LGBT community was intended.

Last edited:

NothingNow

Banned
I should've taken a look at this much sooner, but damned if it isn't the most interesting project I've seen on the site in a long time. Even if I know fuck-all about baseball.

the two last post have been the best, yeah this TL is one of heck of idea, taking wikibox about an alternate world(the world of baseball in an indenpent confederated states of america setting) and giving us three point of views(neutral, yankee and dixie). And using baseball my favorite sport, pretty amazing job so far.

Top Ten Southpaw Players: 6-4, Bob Feller

VtKLMnb.png

Botello Navarro is the confirmed Southpaw home run king, with 651 longballs. His power was stuff of legends; his streak of nine games with a home run is tied for the longest such streak on either side of the border.

Navarro was a rare player in the Southpaw leagues, in that he wasn't actually a slave- technically, anyway. He was in the Cuban amateur leagues in his youth, but when the island fell to Union forces he made his way to Florida.

Now in the awkward position of being a freed slave in the CSA, Navarro eventually ended up offering his services as a professional baseball player to the Mobile Ink Spots. They were dubious, but his skills both on the field and in the batter's box swayed them, and they signed him to a modest contract.

Being a freed player was an extreme rarity, and amongst the handful, no one did it longer or more successfully than Navarro. His career ended in 1974, and he retired a free man, eventually moving across the river to the United States to work with the Indianapolis Indians as a hitting coach. He continued coaching for various teams, and retired to Las Vegas in 1994.

Bw92dzO.png

Very few Southpaw pitchers had long careers as starters. Many started very young, on teams that weren't careful to develop their arms with the care required. Other teams would use their starters for sixty or seventy games a year, pushing players to their limits in the hope of short-term gains. The immediate result: some teams grew reputations for burning through starters.

Arthur Blackburn was lucky; he started his career as a reliever for the St. Stephen's Crows before converting to a starter in 1919, which gave him several valuable years of low-impact experience

His confirmed statistics are from a hodgepodge of years throughout his career and don't necessarily reflect the dominance of his peak in the 1926-1936 period, and unofficial tabulations put his career win total at somewhere between 341 and 363.

f2ci700.png

On the other hand, Sylvester Meaher is a pitcher for whom plenty of confirmed statistics exist. The KBL was one of the better-organized leagues, and while few of its players truly excelled, the quality of play was perhaps surprisingly high, making Meaher's achievements even more considerable.

Meaher was a rarity in many ways. He played in four different decades in a career spanning twenty-four seasons, and all for one team. Southpaw historians haven't found another player they can confirm to hold the same distinctions.

His 311 wins are one of the highest confirmed totals for any Southpaw player, and he was the ace of a team that, for the period between 1936 and 1945, was one of the most dominant in the KBL, though they had trouble converting that success into championships. Were it not for #2 on our list, he would be a strong candidate for the best pitcher in Southpaw history.

Bortello Navarro, Mel Ott

Botello Navarro was always a controversial player in the southpaw leagues, especially after he left the Atlanta Black Crackers and defected across the river to the North. He played his entire career as a free man after escaping to the Confederacy following the Union invasion of Cuba in the 1940s. He only remained a free man due to the genorsity and benevolence of the Confederate government and his team owners. And how does he repay such care? By running North as soon as he plays out his final contract. The nerve of that man! Especially running away to the North, the very same country that invaded his homeland and killed tens and thousands of his countrymen! Make no doubt about it, Navarro certainly had skill as a ball player, there's not doubt about that, but there are serious doubts about his moral character.

UPDATE: The original final sentence to this segment has been removed at the request of the publisher.

Bortello Navarro, Tris Speaker

Botello Navarro was always a controversial player in the southpaw leagues, especially after he left the Atlanta Black Crackers and defected across the river to the North. He played his entire career as a free man after escaping to the Confederacy following the Union invasion of Cuba in the 1940s. He only remained a free man due to the genorsity and benevolence of the Confederate government and his team owners. And how does he repay such care? By running North as soon as he plays out his final contract. The nerve of that man! Especially running away to the North, the very same country that invaded his homeland and killed tens and thousands of his countrymen! Make no doubt about it, Navarro certainly had skill as a ball player, there's not doubt about that, but there are serious doubts about his moral character.

UPDATE: The original final sentence to this segment has been removed at the request of the publisher.

I'm almost tempted to simply let this stand on its own as a prime example of the white supremacist southern mindset, but for the benefit of anyone marginally literate in the Confederacy who isn't a brain-dead rapist troglodyte, I'll try to explain what's wrong with this piece.

1. The U.S. intervention in Cuba was, of course, a naked act of neoliberal imperialism operating under the wafer-thin veneer of 'liberation from Spanish oppression', but it did bring about the end of the last bastion of slavery in the Americas, outside the Confederacy. The majority of the deaths can be laid at the feet of the Spanish colonial troops massacring civilians, and the depredations of C.S.-backed militias that took to the hills rather than surrender.

2. Botello Navarro was, and remains, a symbol of Uncle Tomism in its purest, more abject form. Taking part in a game of slaves, as a free man, he was complicit in the oppression of his race, and should never have been allowed into the United States to spread his poisonous ideology of compromise with the South.

It is utterly tiresome to have to consistently correct the lies and propaganda of the regressive elements of society, but the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing. Virtue is its own reward.