Solving Rome's problems in the 2nd Century BC

In the second century BC Rome faced some serious problems due to its expansion into the Mediterranean. There was a large growth in the wealthy estates, as they absorbed land of the poorer and the Italian states who allied with Hannibal. Military campaigning was becoming tiresome and people were fed up with it. Poorer people were also pushed off the land by the wealthy and drifted to Rome. They were joined by those who got rid of land to avoid military service. This lead to a large, patronless, urban mob in Rome which had greater potential for politicians to harness. Furthermore the Roman allies were discontented and the army was running out of people to recruit.

In OTL these problems were never truly solved and this lead to the competition between the senate, people and individuals in the later Republic. Is there a way that these problems could have been addressed by the senate before the time of the Gracchus brothers? There is no doubt in my mind that this would change history quite drastically, but how? What would become of the Roman Republic?

In the second century BC Rome faced some serious problems due to its expansion into the Mediterranean. There was a large growth in the wealthy estates, as they absorbed land of the poorer and the Italian states who allied with Hannibal. Military campaigning was becoming tiresome and people were fed up with it. Poorer people were also pushed off the land by the wealthy and drifted to Rome. They were joined by those who got rid of land to avoid military service. This lead to a large, patronless, urban mob in Rome which had greater potential for politicians to harness. Furthermore the Roman allies were discontented and the army was running out of people to recruit.

In OTL these problems were never truly solved and this lead to the competition between the senate, people and individuals in the later Republic. Is there a way that these problems could have been addressed by the senate before the time of the Gracchus brothers? There is no doubt in my mind that this would change history quite drastically, but how? What would become of the Roman Republic?

I had a scenario that is archived under the old board.

In a nutshell:

Tiberius Gracchus escapes from a violent mob that killed him in OTL (123 BC), leading to a civil war that ultimately results in a Republic that institutes land reforms and redistribution. This then leads to political reforms in representation. These and other measures relieve discontent and stress, but also allow the Republic to survive far longer, causing a more protracted period of wars of conquest, instigated by politicians eager to make names for themselves. Rome will eventually conquer Germania and Parthia, but this results in overextension and instability which cause a collapse c. 200 AD. I never finished the TL.

Anaxagoras

Banned
One of the necessary reforms for a long-term survival of the Republic would be a separation of military and civilian offices. However, AFAIK, this idea never occurred to the Romans, because the system of politicians having military commands was so deeply ingrained in the Roman system.