Solar Age: A Revolution in Space

Part 1: Sun Power
Hello,

SPS is a concept I’ve known for a little under a year but been invested in ever since I discovered it. The idea of building these vast structures to beam power down to the earth just sounded magical to me. Looking further and further into it has finally brought me to a point of confidence where I can finally write something I’m proud of. Branching off of additional concepts of the time, I hope to create not just a “what if story” of SPS, but a larger story of how space can be explored and expanded into a new world for everyone.

Before we get started I’d like to first admit this is my first alternate history project I’m publicly posting. While I’m going to strive for an appropriate level of accuracy. My main goal is to create something I personally feel proud about creating, and hope it’s something other people can enjoy too. With that being said, I hope you enjoy reading Solar age.

Part 1: Sun Power

Space-Based Solar Power marked an inflection in the United States space program. The decline in NASA funding after Apollo and the struggle to begin the Space Shuttle program lead to a change in spaceflight. With the marvels of Apollo winding down, the Space Shuttle became the “flatbed truck of space”. Instead of a ship of exploration, the Shuttle was a vehicle to enable routine access to space for a variety of purposes, but many viewed this lack of specific purpose as a lack of ambition. The approval of efforts to develop Space Based Solar Power and the move towards mass manufacturing and industry in space would show that even the routine, executed at great enough scale for grand purposes could have its own ambition. The change, marked over the end of the century, would define a transformation of the potential of space for applications on Earth. The combined impacts of the two programs would define the next century in space.

With the founding of the Department of Energy in 1977, it was tasked with securing America’s future in energy. Among other options such as coal, natural gas, ground-based wind and solar, and nuclear, Space-Based Solar Power stood out in ambition. Colossal satellites high above the Earth, beaming energy from the sun back down to Earth, unaffected by the night or weather. Studies done in 1975 by NASA had proven the requirement of wireless power transmission. The concept of Solar Power Satellites (SPS) could lay the groundwork for a clean and renewable form of energy, constantly powering the United States for centuries to come. By the later half of the 1970s, NASA and the DOE had begun proposals for the Solar Power Station program, examining precursor programs consisting of both structural studies of full-sized satellites and ground and space testing of enabling technologies. As the concept was presented to Congress and to the public in seminars and news media, the national perspective of space began to transform slowly but surely. The idea of using space not just as a means of exploration began to take hold. Around the country, the possibility of people living and working in space began to revive a national pride in the space program. From the legacy of Apollo came a projected future full of industry, exploration, science, and expansion from the realm of Earth and into the cosmos.

At the start of 1975, the SPS design was in its infancy. Major details such as the method of power generation and transmission still required additional study and refinement. Within Boeing, initial designs had preferred thermal turbines, which used heat from the sun to spin turbines and generate electricity. However, technology had marched on from the aged-old means, and by 1980, the design progressed to solar arrays for simplicity. Though the efficiency of solar panels was lower than thermal turbines, the benefit of a solid state system was enough of a payoff to prefer solar panels even with the larger area required. Similar debates existed over power transmission. Differing methods of microwave transmission were under consideration, alongside other transmission proposals such as lasers.

While details of the satellite design were still debated by 1979, the larger vision of the program was gaining clarity. Large space freighters would provide the bulk of transportation into Low Earth Orbit, where construction bases would be built for the assembly of station elements. Final assembly of stations would take place in Geostationary orbit by a smaller base. The program in whole, would cost upwards of 2 trillion dollars, and take the effort of the entire country. Alongside these studies came additional supportive goals. After all, if the technology was developed to transport and build massive orbital structures, then why not expand out to develop more than just SBSP? While creating a space based source of power for the United States was the main goal of the proposal, the industrial expansion into space became the first pioneers into the next era of spaceflight.

NASA and the Doe continued mapping out the future in the space industry and how to exploit it, Washington had a different view. While NASA worked on the “could” aspects of SPS, Washington was getting ready to debate the “should” half of SPS. In 1979, Congress took into consideration to create a bill funding NASA and the DOE to turn the SPS preliminary studies into a full program proposal–not approval to execute a program at the scope of SPS or even to test elements, but merely approval to develop a plan. Within the House, support for an SPS bill brought approval swiftly, and moved it to the Senate almost as quickly as it arrived. The serious battle was held in the Senate. Within the DoE, management was heavily influenced by the nuclear program, which was proposed for the same role as SPS. With this backing, Senators opposing the expense of the program proposed nuclear as a faster and lower development alternative. On April 7th, the proposal came to a vote, with the future of the program in the balance. Ultimately, the efforts by NASA to sway key Senators towards SPS worked. While the SPS program received funding for a proposal, funding for nuclear research would still be given to the DOE, becoming a mild success in the wake of 3 Mile Island. The possibility of space growing into a center of industry and applications for Earth brought a wave of public excitement about the future of spaceflight.

News of the SPS program sparked interest around the world such as in Europe, the Soviet Union, and Japan, but for the moment little action was taken outside of the United States. While the SPS program had only begun with a narrow compromise, the first steps towards SBSP were set in stone by congress. Now with the program in its infancy, the proper architecture must be developed for the construction of SPS. By 1980, the program reached its next milestone in developing a complete system for SPS, and made its final program proposal to congress. Alongside this, NASA continued development of the Space Shuttle, which would play a leading role in SPS throughout the early phases of the program.

With the call from Washington to continue on with the SPS program NASA authorized contractors to continue work on their own architectures. NASA had retained two primary contractors, who each offered their own designs for the details of the program: Rockwell and Boeing. The two contractors offered different solutions to key aspects of the program, such as in transportation from Earth. Within Rockwell, the preferred design was a massive single stage to orbit known as Starraker, and on the opposite end of the proposals was the Boeing Space Freighter. The Space Freighter was instead a two stage design, both of which flew back to the launch site similar to the Space Shuttle. Additional concepts occupied middle ground between these two contractors such as the Grumman design, a middle ground using a two stage two orbit design, but landing in the sea instead of like a plane.

Above the Earth another configuration battle was being fought. The question of construction location was solved early. Engineers had been forced to consider where stations would be assembled. Stations within GEO could support a consistent construction of satellites, but placed the construction crew further from Earth. Though LEO stations couldn’t assemble an entire satellite and required final assembly work in GEO, a base location had been commonly agreed upon due to the safety concerns for crews on orbit. Between 1978 and 1980, the final designs of the bases would be refined by individual contractors, but overall the common design would use a higher level of automation for worker safety. Within a base hundreds of people would live and work on the base, mostly living in a shirt sleeve environment with EVA intended only in case of emergency. Even the shape of the SPS platform was up for debate. Basic construction stayed the same, using miles and miles of truss assembled on orbit to build the individual stations, but the specific design of the stations differed between the major and minor contractors Rockwell proposed a trench shaped station, using indented concentrator panels to generate power, while Boeing offered a different design which used a large rectangular shape instead for the main frame of the station.

With a strong collection of proposals, NASA continued along the path to SPS. With 1980 approaching, the SPS studies came to a close as NASA prepared to select the prime contractor for the actual precursor program. The countdown was on for STS-1, the debut of the Space Shuttle Columbia and the next goal in NASA’s future plans for space. Now with a future of routine access to space supporting SPS, the impending launch of Columbia would mark not just the first launch of the Space Shuttle, but the beginning of a new age in spaceflight. The launch of Columbia would carry the potential for the next big step in space–industrialization and applications in space that could benefit everyone on Earth.

SPS_wi_sun-Earth.jpg

Authors Note:
Sun Power was a book written in 1995 by Ralph Nansen. It’s genuinely one of my favorite books and is the main reason why I wanted to actually write an SPS timeline instead of just collecting info on it, which is why I decided to name the first part after it.

Last edited:
Great start looking forward to next update im imaging something like interstellar that Matthew McConaughey movie colony wise.

Very interesting premise for a TL and looks like it has a lot of potential!

The only thing I'm wondering is how exactly NASA was able to sway enough politicians to vote for a multi-trillion dollar project at a time of Cold War rivalry? I know that you want to get an advantage over rivals, but there are more tried and tested ways to spend that money? I'm not saying its implausible, but a bit more explanation on that would be nice (even if the focus on the TL is on the technical, rather than the political).

Very interesting premise for a TL and looks like it has a lot of potential!

The only thing I'm wondering is how exactly NASA was able to sway enough politicians to vote for a multi-trillion dollar project at a time of Cold War rivalry? I know that you want to get an advantage over rivals, but there are more tried and tested ways to spend that money? I'm not saying its implausible, but a bit more explanation on that would be nice (even if the focus on the TL is on the technical, rather than the political).
The general idea would be that NASA argues successfully for the SPS development bill presented OTL (in OTL it actually wasn't voted on since the House left session/in one way or another it wasn't passed). Obviously politics will play a role in SPS history, especially with future presidents who might not support projects of this scale. But more or less ITTL NASA convinces some key Senators to approve of them continuing studies and developing them into full fledged program proposals.

I get the feeling that Congress will be horrified when NASA shows them the fruits of their design studies and SPS proposals.

And it won't help that the decrease in launching costs with the Shuttle will end up being unfeasible with the number of OTL orbiters.

(The Soviets will probably think this is an elaborated misinformation attempt, like with the Shuttle, for a sun based weapons array)

I get the feeling that Congress will be horrified when NASA shows them the fruits of their design studies and SPS proposals.
I mean that is the POD for this. NASA shows Congress and instead of hating it and seeing it as another grand program costing trillions, and overall aren't as critical of large scale projects like OTL

I mean that is the POD for this. NASA shows Congress and instead of hating it and seeing it as another grand program costing trillions, and overall aren't as critical of large scale projects like OTL
Isn't the POD about funding them to study the feasibility of such a program instead of simple ideas and vague outlines? That's what I've got from the chapter, and given they reluctant to allow them the money for such a study, it sesms impossible for them to agree to fund a full on program.

Even with public support at best Congress will be stingy with funds, NASA barely had enough funds for the Shuttle orbiters. At best I think they might fund en experimental pilot of small dimensions, if the development and jobs are spread through as many states as possible to have any chance of passing. With a follow-up instigated by the oil crisis of the 80s.

Congress at every point NASA was brought up tried to cut the funding back, them suddenly supporting a trillion dollars program in the likes of the Apollo Applications Program feels like they are being mind controlled to say the least.

Definitely looking forward to seeing where this one goes. The SPS program is an idea that I've been reading up on a lot ever since I got my hands on a copy of The High Frontier (where the first orbital habitats are built with the purpose of building up an industrial base in space, initially to build solar power satellites out of Lunar and asteroid materials). I'd love to see a world where it's given all the resources needed for it and is carried out.

One thing about the SPS program is that it was a product of its time, that time being the energy crisis-filled decade that was the 1970s. The Western world's supply of oil was under threat; the OPEC embargo and then the Iranian Revolution causing the 1973 and '79 oil crises (tripling its price, and then doubling it again). France responded by going all-in on nuclear energy, but the US was more reluctant to partly because the anti-nuclear movement was on the rise. Outside of places that could get hydroelectricity, that left only renewable energy, but it was and still is usually intermittent (solar panels are affected by weather and stop working at night, wind turbines have to deal with variable wind speeds). So if you can solve the intermittency problem by getting solar energy from a place where the sun always shines, that's an idea worth looking into. But then the price of oil fell back down in the 1980s, then domestic oil extraction began, and the SPS program went nowhere.

To get the SPS program funded and keep it going, I think a much longer and worse oil crisis is by far the best way to go about it.

I do assure everyone I will answer alot of these concerns in later parts. The political side of SPS won't be the main aspect of this timeline, but I still want to hold feasibility to it.

Part 2: The Changing World
Part 2: The Changing World

The turn of the decade brought a new view on energy within the United States. The scare of shortages from the Iranian Revolution brought concerns over the dependency of importing oil. The aftermath of the 3 Mile Island Disaster gave growing distrust in nuclear power. Increasing warnings of climate change gave the American public a sense of urgency for a solution to the looming energy crisis. While SPS existed in the pool of options, a general criteria for energy was formed. The 3 aspects of this criteria were: clean and renewable energy, economically viable, and available to everyone. With this criteria many options existed such as wind and ground based solar, but SPS was the largest option in cost and size. While SPS was the most expensive option with most of the benefits paying off only in the future, the image of power beamed from space created an excitement in the minds of millions of Americans. Throughout the US, many spokespersons shared details of the SPS program. Images, models, and other items were shown, giving a physical view of what space would look like with SPS. In 1975, many magazines were filled with imagery for millions of readers. Now 5 years later, millions of readers would once again see and learn about SPS and the future it holds.

With the program proposal in the near future, program selection was needed. Between the 3 leading contractors of Rockwell, Boeing, and Grumman. Boeing was selected as the primary contractor for the SPS program. For Rockwell and Grumman, additional studies were given. From Rockwell, a series of studies were done alongside SPS for alternative applications such as industry in space. With Boeing as the primary contractor the architecture of the SPS program had been set. Large space freighters built by Boeing will carry the bulk of materials to Low Earth Orbit, where construction of SPS modules will take place, and ultimately be sent into Geostationary Earth Orbit for final assembly. In beginning missions, SPS will be built in single stations, but future stations can be built into larger collections of stations to reduce the number of stations in GEO. During the development of the Boeing Space Freighter (BSF), the Space Shuttle and Shuttle Derived Vehicles will serve as the main vehicles for initial missions in the program.

By late April the big moment had come for the SPS efforts. After a full year of preparation for this day, NASA and the DOE were ready for their full proposal for the SPS program. Within the House similar response to the original SPS bill was given, key representatives gave approval to the program based on economic growth within their states. The SPS program had gone through the house just as it did the year before. Now the program must make it through the final congressional hoop, The House. The debate on the House Floor consisted of 2 main oppositions, the cost of SPS and other available options. The alternate energy options mainly consisted of continuing oil and coal powering the US versus development of new options such as wind and solar. Another option, nuclear, existed as another consideration in the near future, but was mostly shot down in the aftermath of the 3 mile island disaster. The growing concerns over the availability of oil posed a great threat to not just Congress, but to the majority of Americans. Through continued debate over the future of not just SPS, but the future of American energy came the final decision on the program. Through additional swaying of key senators, the SPS program was approved by Congress by only a few votes.

Throughout NASA a wave of relief hit the agency. The efforts dating away back to 1975 have finally paid off. Over the next decade the preliminary phase of the SPS program will occur. Through a series of missions using the shuttle and related vehicles, testing of SPS elements only possible in space will be carried out. Payloads such as the Large Aperture Satellite were approved for construction. Machines used to construct beams on orbit would also reach production for construction in space. With STS-1 drawing near, NASA was going full speed ahead into the future. While the daydreams of manned Mars missions and lunar exploration raged in the back of everyone's mind at NASA, the future of SPS brought another vision for spaceflight. A future of applications of space for the direct benefit of Earth.

On April 12, 1981 the Shuttle Era would begin. STS-1 marked the inaugural flight of Columbia, and ended the nearly 6 year gap in Human Spaceflight within the United States. At 12PM local time, the 3 Space Shuttle Main Engines would roar to life. After 4 seconds the Solid Rocket Boosters would ignite, marking the point of no return in the launch. With SRB ignition, Columbia Lifted off the pad with great speed. Quickly rolling to the launch azimuth, the flight to orbit had begun. With SRB separation the rest of the ascent was left to the SSMEs. The engines previously plaguing the program with delays had now proven itself in flight. In the final phase of ascent the External Tank detached from the orbiter, leaving Columbia as the only part of the stack to actually reach orbit. Once Columbia entered orbit the payload bay doors would finally be opened, exposing instrumentation and a plethora of sensors to the vacuum of space. Over the next 2 days Columbia would collect data from instrumentation and inspection, such as tile damage, temperature, pressures, and other important aspects of the orbiter's health. After the 2 days on orbit it was time for Columbia to return home. With the orbit of Columbia matching Edwards, the payload bay doors were closed and the deorbit burn began. Over a series of S-turns throughout the inferno of reentry, STS-1 had made it home from orbit. The landing of Columbia had been another leap in spaceflight. For the first time ever a vehicle had returned from space and landed like an airplane on Earth, and would fly to space again.

Outside of the United States a conflict was brewing. Beginning in 1980, the Iraqi military began an invasion of Iran. In the first year, the Iraqi invasion would be seen as a swift operation, quickly taking out Iran defenses and taking major oil fields in the country. But by 1981 the invasion had begun to stall. Iranian defenses had begun to slow the Iraqi offense to a halt, and by 1982 the war had turned into a stalemate. Within the US the Reagan administration had shown great support for Iraq. With growing concerns of Soviet intervention in Iran and recovery beginning in oil prices, the administration continued support for Iraq. But as the war grew into its 3rd year, the world would have to watch the war with caution. The decision to continue support for Iraq led to further stagnation in the recovery of oil prices, but assured the containment of the war and further involvement with other Arab nations.

Part 3: The High Frontier
Part 3: The High Frontier

STS-1 through STS-4 all were firsts in the Space Shuttle program. Each mission reached new milestones, pushing Columbia further than the last. With the landing of STS-4 the Space Shuttle had reached the end of its testing phase. From STS-5 onward, the Shuttle would be an operational vehicle. With every mission onwards serving a purpose to national, commercial, scientific, or international needs. At the landing of STS-4 Ronald Reagan watched Columbia landed once again, becoming an almost common sight at Edwards. With landing complete, Reagan finally announces the beginning of Shuttle operations. In his speech, Reagan calls for a total expansion into space in not just science and exploration, but in economical and industrial purposes. Throughout NASA, the calls from Reagan gave an optimistic but mixed response. With change in administration concern grew over the future of SPS and the space program as a whole. While congress still supported SPS development, a new administration could always attempt to undermine programs of previous presidents. Nonetheless, the announcement by Reagan gave support for NASA to expand into space, for commercial and scientific interest.

SPS testing within NASA would take up the most resources other than the Space Shuttle. Because of the need for orbital bases supporting construction of SPS test articles the future of a space station was secured within NASA. But within the scientific community an opposition arose, which demanded additional scientific expectations for a future space station. Future experiments could be mostly covered by the Space Shuttle, with payloads being carried to orbit and returned to Earth when needed. Beyond the Space Shuttle it was argued as a critical step in science to develop an orbital laboratory. Building upon the capabilities of the shuttle, an orbital platform was found to only grow scientific capability. As design and capability of the space station was planned, the actual decision for a space station would be saved for future debate.

The approval of SPS development in Washington marked a new future of planning and testing. With a developing industry and program over the next 20 years, questions arise on the involvement of NASA within the program. It was under a universal agreement that NASA would see it through the initial development and studies of building SPS, but after tests and demonstrations its future in the bureaucracy was still to be determined. With the national priority of SPS steadily increasing the decision on the government side of SPS would be mainly left to future decisions. Deemed appreciate to leave official offices and titles for the time when actual operational hardware can be presented and serving an operational purpose. For now, the SPS program would be housed under a joint NASA and DOE office, and focus on early demonstrations such as beamed power and construction in space.

Throughout the last 3 years of the official SPS precursor program, STS-7 would be the first mission to carry physical equipment to orbit. STS-7, the mission carrying America’s first female into space, will also carry the Large Aperture Satellite (LAS). A combination of the Inertial Upper Stage with additional avionics, solar panels, and experimental equipment to test microwave transmission technology in the high frontier. On the 18th of June, 1983, Challenger lifted off for a second time, once again carrying the mighty IUS in its payload bay. On orbit a series of checkouts were completed on the IUS, which eventually was positioned for launch, and sent off further into space. While the IUS completed its burns for GEO, the crew was busy at work on additional activities for the rest of the mission, such as the Getaway Special canisters. Within the canisters a multitude of experiments were exposed to the vacuum of space including materials study of alloys in space such as aluminum, an important material in future space construction. Shortly before the landing of Challenger the LAS finally reached GEO right above the United States, existing as a perfect vantage point high above the Earth. Days after Challengers landing in Edwards, the LAS began to deploy. A triplet of booms would extend out, forming a massive phased array antenna, with each boom being half a kilometer in length. Even though the LAS isn’t as large as the future antennas for SPS, the configuration of the LAS would be perfect for simulation of microwave transmission from space. Before going ahead with construction of SPS, power transmission was one of the first demonstrations on a long list of goals.

The early half of 1982 would hold a turning point in the Iran Iraq war. The beginning counter attack by the Iranians showed the world that the war would most certainly last longer than mere months. With the worsening developments in the war, and an Iraqi defense falling behind, the Reagan administration increased Iraqi support, attempting to keep Iraq as an important ally in the Middle East. This decision by the administration would ultimately culminate in large dealings with the Iraqi government, attempting to help develop the nation and bring an end to the Iranian counterattack. Billions of dollars and a multitude of weapons deals were conducted between the US and Iraq in order to properly equip the nation against Iranian forces. In addition to military assistance, Edward Teller, newly appointed Secretary of Energy by Reagan to help downplay SPS and other programs, would further extend his middle eastern travel to Israel in order to assist in nuclear development. Teller’s move to travel to Iraq was seen as relatively mixed by the administration. Giving additional assistance in the Iraqi nuclear program would further insure the capability of Iraq within the Middle East, but the idea of sending an important government official, let alone the SoE, was partly seen as risky. But with confidence in security and promise of improved public outlook on nuclear energy, Teller’s visit to Iraq was approved.

The Iraqi visit began when Teller produced a bright future for the United States nuclear efforts as well as the early Iraqi nuclear program. As a continuation of the Reagan administration's attempt to pivot away from the congress backed SPS program, Teller’s visit would mark the first major attempt by the administration to throw nuclear power back into the center stage for nuclear power. But all of this would come to an end on Teller’s last days in Iraq. An Iranian bombing on the Tuwaitha Nuclear Research Center would ultimately claim the lives of not just Teller, but other researchers at the center from other nations such as France. News of Teller’s death brought another fumble in the Reagan administration. The attempts to push nuclear power as the alternative energy of the future was once again pushed back while the now empty Secretary of Energy position was being filled.

Part 4: Polaris
Part 4: Polaris

The death of Edward Teller continued the downward spiral inside the Reagan administration. The death of a cabinet member outside of the US by another nation's bombing threw another wrench in Reagan's ambitious Cold War plans. The role of SoE was quickly filled by another staunch nuclear supporter, showing the continued SPS opposition within the executive branch. While the United States scrambled the next response to Iranian aggression, Iran continued growing the scope of the way beyond just Iraq. Even with the war starting under Iraqi invasion of Iran, the war entering its third year now showed the Middle East the deepening battle for control. Amidst the chaos overseas, nuclear efforts within the US would continue to push on. Demanding continuous demonstration in an attempt to hurdle it ahead of SPS and other energy proposals.

Within NASA the future of the shuttle grew in size. Demands for the shuttle acting as sole vehicle for American space endeavors culminated in the growth of the fleet. The ever growing manifest posed as another conflict in the planned orbiter fleet of 4. The dreams of a vehicle capable of refurbishment within days would ultimately fray to the eager list of shuttle missions for commercial, SPS, national, and scientific missions. An additional request for another 2 orbiters would be slipped into the orbiter manifest. Set for rollout after Atlantis in 1985. OV-105 and 106 would serve the fleet for both NASA’s ambitious launch cadence and national security missions in the future Vandenberg launch site. Outside of the growing fleet, the expendable Shuttle C continued steadfast into an introduction in 1986. By using Shuttle C as a cargo vehicle, initial assembly within space can be supplied by both the Space Shuttle and Shuttle C, and thus filling the gap from Space Freighter production. For the Department of Defense the growing fleet was welcomed. The possibility of a dedicated orbiter became an investment paid off, providing a specific launch vehicle for national security missions, instead of depending on NASA providing an orbiter from their previously small fleet. Nonetheless, the DoD still ordered a handful of expendable Titan launch vehicles, filling the gap between 1982 to orbiter rollout in 1986.

Alongside the space shuttle’s history the dreams of a space station loomed behind it. From the original Space Shuttle proposals the intent was to serve as the crew vehicle, whether a grandiose 50 man Space Base, or a much smaller man-tended Science Platform. Under the Nixon administration the shuttle prevailed while the space station was sidelined due to budget cuts alongside the Ford administration. Only under the Carter administration would the interest in a space station return to the drawing board. Many designs such as ones by Marshal gave more modest sizes, intended for only scientific applications and man-tended. Others such as the Space Operations Center by the Johnson Space Center were more grandiose, filling a multitude of purposes from science to construction. Finally with Ronald Reagan entering the White House would the space station see an official go-ahead from the executive branch in 1983. The struggle for presidential approval would now move NASA into the crucible within Congress to determine space station funding. With future plans for a Space Base in the works, the main selling points of a space station were mostly limited to scientific research and commercial use. The future vision now by NASA would not hold the space station as a grand center for all uses, such as designs from Johnson, but instead as a more modest platform capable of private and public uses such as ones designed by Marshal. Ultimately though, the final questions of the space station would be answered in the future. Proposals by Rockwell suggested increasing the orbiter’s life on orbit which became the preferable option. Other options such as the Fairchild Leasecraft would give the opportunity for cheaper long term payloads at a cheaper price than a space station. In a continued attempt to save the space station, international outreach on the station was sent specifically to Europe, Canada, and Japan. All 3 countries would display interest by 1983.
ss84pln5.jpg

Space Station artwork with listed capabilities​
Outside of the government space efforts the private sector was rapidly growing. The efforts by the administration to branch commercial companies into the commercial spaceflight presented a new wave of aerospace companies alongside the older giants such as Boeing, Lockheed, Rockwell, and other companies involved in programs such as Apollo. Company negotiations such as the one between the Microgravity Research Association and NASA had created the first materials processing demonstrations onboard the Space Shuttle. Other companies such as Space Industries Inc, formed by a trio including former NASA engineer Max Faget, were involved in the development of future industrial facilities in space. The commercial capabilities of the Shuttle were just beginning to roll into its greatest potential. Now within NASA the additional payloads played well into the Shuttle’s commercial ventures. By 1983 the question of NASA’s role in space was being refined, the agency intended as a research agency would now grow into the launch provider for both American and international payloads. Newly formed committees on commercial programs would further hash out problems between the public and private sector. While the current administration held a welcoming position on privatizing industry, NASA would defend the Shuttle's role as the “National Space Transportation System”, and help support the shuttles' ambitiously high flight rate.
50860909366_3bebe4c3b3_h.jpg

Industrial Space Facility Artwork​
Over the rest of 1983 the Iran Iraq war continued to worsen. Within Kuwait, which supported Iraq financially, continued to watch both sides struggle to make any advancements. Constantly watching Iran inch closer and closer into Iraq, the fears of Iranian influence spreading across the Middle East brought concerns beyond nearby nations. To the United States the war continued to elongate the oil crisis. With the oil supply from the Middle East being cut off, the only option to continue oil production was increased domestic drilling, which still would take years to fully recover from. To the American public it became clear oil could no longer serve as an option to power the US. For Ronald Reagan the war would continue to be the bane of his presidency. With elections continuing to loom closer, the political scramble over the war, and a flailing economy, 1983 continued to be a turning point for the popularity of the “great communicator”.