So I'm reading Turtledove's World War - Colonization....

I am a little confused as to why the UK is becoming so pro-German, after finishing the world war series I would have expected the UK and Canada to effectively join the US. What do you guys think?

I am a little confused as to why the UK is becoming so pro-German, after finishing the world war series I would have expected the UK and Canada to effectively join the US. What do you guys think?

I did find it quite difficult to believe

The UK was wrecked at the end of the war, the Empire had been cruelly snatched away, the devastation of America had forced the island to become almost entirely self sufficient and the South of England had been reduced to a battleground, it would make sense that they would come close to the new German led Europe.

Garrison

Donor

That was about the point where I gave up on the series. It's the same sort of problem I had with the new 'War That Came Early' series, his rather odd view of British politics and society.

Faeelin

Banned
That was about the point where I gave up on the series. It's the same sort of problem I had with the new 'War That Came Early' series, his rather odd view of British politics and society.

What makes you think Britain is magic? The reason is made quite clear; the US was trashed and needed to rebuild, and Britain, without an empire, was growing closer to Germany. They werne't allies, and Britain had a lot of nukes aimed at the Reich, but still.

Garrison

Donor
What makes you think Britain is magic? The reason is made quite clear; the US was trashed and needed to rebuild, and Britain, without an empire, was growing closer to Germany. They werne't allies, and Britain had a lot of nukes aimed at the Reich, but still.

I don't think I implied that Britain was 'magic'. I just think that Turtledove has a somewhat odd view of Britain that has reached it nadir in 'The Big Switch'.

Thande

Donor
Some people have suggested that Turtledove is an Anglophobe, but this seems to zig-zag a bit depending on the book.

I always thought it was a heavy-handed satire on British attitudes to the EU, much like Fatherland, with people moaning about Berlin's latest red tape regulations over Jew-oppressing and so on...

I must admit, he does seem to be slightly Anglophobe, mainly from small hints here and there in the series. But then again he could just be being ironic or something.

Also I understand that the UK was in a very bad shape, but I really don't understand why it has become so anti-Semitic, also i doubt that Mosley would be elected as an MP (but I'm quite surprised he didn't spend his whole life in jail otl). Truth be told a lot about this book annoys me.

Also I'm quite sure that the Reich was in just as bad a state, if not worse than the USA.

Last edited:

Deleted member 6086

For better or for worse, Britain has always been more or less aloof from Continental affairs, except when preserving the balance of power. If they don't like OTL's EU, they certainly aren't joining Hitler's one, not with a strong US that will want an alliance with them.

It's like expecting the UK to cuddle up with Napoleon just a few years after losing the war.

For better or for worse, Britain has always been more or less aloof from Continental affairs, except when preserving the balance of power. If they don't like OTL's EU, they certainly aren't joining Hitler's one, not with a strong US that will want an alliance with them.

It's like expecting the UK to cuddle up with Napoleon just a few years after losing the war.

Why would the U.S. want an alliance with the British in the postwar world in the first place?

Deleted member 6086

To keep German influence out of the country they had allied with to defend.