Sleepless In Seattle: A TLIAW

Hey there folks I know this may come as a shock to some but I've been working on this little side project on and off for the better part of a year and now I'm ready to post this. No this is not a major project like the other timelines this is just a simple TLIAW.

Before we start I would like to thank @Vidal for inspiring me with his amazing timelines Impeaching a President and Memory Awake two fantastic timelines about different presidential scandals. Those two timelines inspired me to try my own hand at one.

With that out of the way, I present to you.

nbviQ1gMMl-SXB0iUCtOi4H5bp7WR5UsPX_EyeIeg_FALPw1QNEL8MrmoilJvVYl7PakKidZs94jdmMxkCZ0RlXXFTiLgial4MUpUrg5SagSWfPrlDRRooHlEN7h8iLIXu4i2Fbr3uO6_TiddiKhP9s

Prologue
Washington Governor and 1972 Republican nominee for President Daniel J. Evans waited with bated breath for the election results. He worked his tail off to get here, a year or two beforehand he wasn’t thinking too hard about being President.

But he among other prominent Republicans saw an opportunity. Despite President Hubert H. Humphrey’s achievements such as ending the controversial Vietnam War and finally bringing the troops home after a peace deal with North Vietnam. The economy was weak…and so President Humphrey was vulnerable.

At first, Evans was trailing the frontrunner, former actor and conservative Governor of California Ronald Reagan.

But things would change when Reagan was shot and while he survived he was paralyzed from the waist down and would need time away from the campaign to recover. So Reagan would withdraw from the race for his recovery. This led to an opening for Evans who jumped to the frontrunner status and defeated his opposition which was swarming with several conservative Congressman and Senators who jumped at the last minute, and his two other major rivals exiting Ohio Senator Jim Rhodes and Michigan Governor George Romney.

Evans had gotten off the phone with his running mate. U.N. Ambassador and former Pennsylvania Governor William Scranton.

Scranton after his failed bid for the Republican nomination in 1964 which he lost to Barry Goldwater largely retired announcing that he would never again run for elected office. He would however agree to become Humphrey’s U.N. Ambassador in a show of bipartisanship. While Evans had considered others such as his two rivals Senator Rhodes and Governor Romney as well as Illinois Senator Charles Percy and House Minority Leader Gerald Ford. Something about Scranton just stuck out to Evans and made him decide that Scranton was the guy to pick.

It took a huge amount of convincing but Evans and his campaign manager managed to get Scranton to reluctantly agree to be Evans's running mate.

Scranton was in his home state of Pennsylvania stumping hard for the ticket. Pennsylvania was critical toward an Evans victory tonight.

The campaign against President Humphrey and Vice President Edmund Muskie had been civil and focused on the issues…The only one slinging mud was the AIP ticket of former Major General Edwin Walker and South Carolina Senator Strom Thurmond. But nobody aside from those in the deepest south paid attention to them.

“The broadcast is starting.” Came the voice of Evans’s foreign policy adviser and two-time presidential loser Richard Nixon.

Evans and his staff and advisors and running mate glued their eyes to the screen. “Election headquarters in New York. This is the CBS evening news with Walter Cronkite and Charles Kuralt.” Said the announcer on the TV screen.

The first state called for the night was Kentucky which went narrowly to Evans. The next state called was Minnesota which of course went overwhelmingly to its favorite son Hubert Humphrey. And just like that election night was on.

Tennessee for Evans narrowly! New York for Humprhey! New Hampshire and Vermont for Evans! Massachusetts and DC for Humprhey!

Back and forth back and forth like a see-saw. Evans would win a state or two and then Humphrey would win a state or two hell even Walker and Thurmond won a few states in the deep deep south.

But Evans was leading Humphrey in electoral votes and the popular vote narrowly. It all came down to Pennsylvania…if Evans won he would be President-elect…if Humphrey won he would deadlock the election and it would go to the house where he would surely win.

Yet as state after state was called for and time slowed to a crawl Pennsylvania remained too close to call.Ohio for Evans! Texas for Humphry because of course the former President and mentor/friend Lyndon Baines Johnson would make damn sure Humphrey won Texas.

Time slowed to a grinding halt as Pennsylvania remained too close to call…”Governor Evans is currently in the lead but that could change.” Said Walter Cronkite.

Evans stood at 245 electoral votes…He and his team willed Pennsylvania to go for them.

Then finally! At around 1:30 in the morning Pennsylvania and its 27 electoral votes were called for Evans putting him at 272 electoral votes compared to President Humprhey’s 219. They roared to life as it was called.

Evans had done it…He had bested the incumbent President. He was President-elect.

The phone rang…Evans quickly picked it up “hello?” He asked.

“Let me just say congratulations Governor Evans.” It was President Humprey.

“Thank Mr. President,” Evans said with a smile. Humphrey chuckled on the other end. “I suppose I should call you Mr. President,” he said jokingly.

Evans chuckled, “I’m not the President yet sir.” Humphrey chuckles and wishes him another congratulations and hopes that Evans's Presidency will be successful.

When he hangs up Evans turns around to the group. “It was Humphrey calling!” He announces a triumphant smile on his face.

Evans first called his running mate and soon-to-be Vice President William Scranton and thanked him. Then he went around the room shaking everyone's hand and thanking them starting with Nixon and then moving on to everyone else in the room. Finally standing in front of the man he considered his brain trust and genius.

“I couldn’t have done it without you Ted!” Evans exclaimed as he pulled his campaign manager Theodore Bundy into a hug. “It was nothing, Dan,” said Ted humbly.

After the hug, Evans met his wife and kids and then walked outside to give his victory speech to his supporters.

dcharles

Banned
I don't think that Ted Bundy should be a cameo in the first entry into a TL about Ted Bundy. Either we're burying the lede or we're misleading the audience.

Part One
UN Ambassador Harold Stassen sat outside of a nice DC restaurant with Vice President William Scranton, Secretary of the Treasury Jim Rhodes, and his arch nemesis and bane of his existence as well as Secretary of State Richard Nixon.

The three or well really four men as Scranton simply sat there wondering what he may have done in a past life to be stuck listening to these three fellows arguing with each other. “I told you you damn hick!” Yelled out Nixon to Rhodes. Currently, Stassen was eating having grown tired of arguing with mostly Nixon and well, even calling Nixon a red baiter got tired after a while.

Stassen’s mind began to wander as he ate his salad. First, it wandered to the current man in the white house, Daniel J. Evans. He was glad to be serving under President Evans they shared some of the same ideas mostly on social issues such as Civil Rights and he was so happy that Nixon was forced to take a position he had turned down years ago in 1956 which was Secretary of State. But, he sometimes wondered if that man in the white house could have been him.

It certainly could have been…If he had just won in 58 or better yet if Ike really had dropped Nixon then maybe…Just maybe, Stassen could have been picked to replace him.

Then Stassen would have beat Jack Kennedy in 1960 or Hubert Humphrey in 1968 and he would be in the white house or a former President of the United States…

If only damn Dick Nixon didn’t cut his wheels out from under him in 1958 when he was running for Governor of Pennsylvania! That sorry son of a bitch!

“What the hell are you thinking about Stassen?” Asked the voice of Richard Nixon who sounded about as pleasant as nails on a chalkboard.

“I was just thinking about how I would have beaten Jack Kennedy in 1960 or Humphrey in 1968 unlike you.” Stassen said in a deadpan tone causing Rhodes to burst out laughing while Dick Nixon grumbled. “In your dreams you damn hippie.”

With Dick Nixon doing nothing better than grumbling Stassen’s mind wandered over to the Chief of Staff Ted Bundy…To be frank, Bundy was off…creepy you could say.

While the Chief of Staff wasn’t exactly supposed to be pleasant Bundy was just… different.

Every time Bundy would walk into the room the air would grow cold. Colder than ice itself. He would also say things that while he was joking it didn’t sound like a joke, Bundy may have been charming but something in Stassen’s gut told him something about Bundy was off.

Stassen couldn’t quite place his finger on it but the guy was a weirdo. Stassen once brought it up with Evans but Evans simply laughed and said “yeah he’s a bit odd but he’s got a killer spirit.”

“Hey, what do you guys think of Bundy?” Asked Stassen out loud to the group.

His question was met with silence. “Don't really know what to think.” Replied Rhodes.

“Does he weird any of you out?” Asked Stassen.

Rhodes shrugged, “not really. Sure he’s a bit weird and awkward but he’s the Chief of Staff, they ain’t supposed to be pleasant Harold.”

“I know that Jim but…something about Bundy just seems off.” Stassen replied. Nixon and Scranton remained silent.

“Can you explain?” Asked Rhodes.

“Not really it’s just…something in my gut just says he’s off you know?” Stassen replied.

“I think you’re just overthinking it a bit Harold,” Rhodes said calmly. The two then looked at Vice President Scranton. “What do you think Bill?” Asked Stassen.

Vice President Scranton sat there for a minute before he spoke. “Is it me or does the room get colder when Bundy enters the room?”

June 25th, 1974

The White House-Washington D.C.

Secretary of Housing and Urban Development George Romney was currently in a meeting with President Daniel J. Evans. Evans was looking into potential housing legislation, Democratic senator Fred Harris of Oklahoma had introduced the Universal Housing Act early in the year—the act aimed to eliminate homelessness, particularly to the benefit of the African-American community.

Opponents of the bill, most notably conservative Republican senator from Nebraska Roman Hruska decried the bill as a gross government overreach. The bill barely passed by the skin of its teeth in the Senate but was killed in the House.

Evans, wanting to have a large victory ahead of the midterms called Romney to discuss the idea of a more moderate housing legislation.

In the middle of the conversation, Ted Bundy walked into the room. Romney didn’t quite know what to think of Bundy, he knew Stassen found Bundy weird, and while there was something off about Bundy that Romney couldn’t quite shake he found the man to be quite charming. Odd yes but still charming.

“Sorry for interrupting,” Bundy started.

“Don't be Ted,” Evans replied with a wave of his hand. “What do you have for me?” He asked.

“I just have a memo from the Joint Chiefs,” Bundy said, handing over the memo.

Once he handed the memo over to Evans, Bundy gave Romney a polite nod which Romney returned and then left. “What do you make of him?” Romney asked.

“Hm?” Replied Evans.

“Bundy, what do you think of him?” Romney asked again.

Evans sat there for a minute before he spoke. “He’s a damn genius! Charming bastard as well!” Evans exclaimed, smiling from ear to ear.

Romney chuckled a bit “yes he is charming but…” Romney looked for the right words to say. “But what George?” Asked Evans.

“Stassen says there’s something off about Bundy.” Romney finally said.

Evans laughed “yeah he’s odd but he’s got a killer spirit!”

Romney joined in with a quiet awkward chuckle. Perhaps Evans was right, maybe Ted was just awkward and Stassen was just overreacting. “Now enough about Ted, let's get back to the housing legislation,” said Evans.

June 25th, 1974

Square Mile Park-Washington D.C.

It was a warm summer night as smoke drifted from the open window of Washington D.C. officer Chet Andrews. Officer Andrews was a veteran of the police force having spent well over ten years on the force, he was parked about five miles from Square Mile Park. A small park with heavy bushes that could hide anything, case in point over the past few months starting in February there had been 5 bodies found.

All of them were young college-age girls brutally murdered, skulls bashed in or strangled. Some of them had a missing head. All of them looked like they had been violated after death.

What sick monster was this person?

Before Officer Andrews could ponder what type of monster he was dealing with a tan 1968 Volkswagen Beetle came whipping down the road. He quickly flipped on his lights and sirens.

The tan car pulled to a stop and as his car came to a stop Officer Andrews got out of his car and walked up to the driver's side window. The window rolled down to reveal a fairly handsome man in his late 20s with short neatly combed brown hair. “Evening officer,” the man said with a smile.

“I’m sure you know why I pulled you over.” Officer Andrews said lazily. The man simply chuckled as he spoke “yes sorry about that I just needed to get to work sir” the man said calmly.

“License and registration please,” Officer Andrews said. The man reaches over to the glove compartment and opens it, as soon as it opens two black gloves come tumbling out. The two gloves catch Officer Andrews's eye because a glove just like it was found at one of the crime scenes.

“Interesting gloves you got there,” Officer Andrews said as he gestured to the two black gloves on the floor. “Oh those…” the man replied a bit nervously.

Andrews could see a tiny bead of sweat on the man’s forehead. The man handed Officer Andrews the driver's license and registration as he was asked, Andrews looked down to read the name “Theodore Bundy hu?” Andrews replied.

“Call me Ted most people do” Ted replied casually. Andrews simply hummed as he looked over the license, it had a little stamp that showed he was an employee of the White House. “So what do you do Mr. Bundy?” Andrews asked.

“I work in politics” Ted replied. “You don’t look like the political type.” Andrews replied. Mr. Bundy waved it off as he chuckled “I get that sometimes” he replied casually.

Mr. Bundy was quite charming. Andrews would give him that but there was just something off about the guy. Officer Andrews didn’t know what it was but something about this guy made his skin crawl.

To Officer Andrews, this whole thing seemed sketchy. Mr. Bundy says he works for the White House yet his car doesn’t have any of the license plates that would indicate that and he doesn’t seem like he would be in politics.

“Mr. Bundy, would you mind if I searched your vehicle?” Andrews asked Mr. Bundy gulped a bit before he said anything. “I um…uh…I uh…I would.”

“Why is that?” Asked Andrews.

“I’m uh…I’m carrying classified documents.” Bundy replied. “Sir if you were working for the White House you would be using your work car, not your private car.” Replied Andrews.

“Uh…um…uh…” Bundy replied nervously, the sweat on his forehead getting worse.

“Step out of your vehicle for me sir” Officer Andrews said. Mr. Bundy sat there for a minute or two hands gripping the steering wheel before he complied and exited the car. “Okay go stand over by my vehicle,” Andrews said pointing to his cruiser.

Bundy nodded and shuffled over to the police cruiser. Officer Andrew ducked down and began to search the car. Getting a better look at the two gloves, they were the same as the glove found at the crime scene.

Looking into the glove compartment he found a necklace that looked suspiciously like one that was reported missing among one of the victims. “Interesting necklace you got here Mr. Bundy.” Andrews said, holding up the necklace for Bundy to see.

“I got it for my girlfriend,” Bundy said plainly. Andrews just stared at Bundy but didn’t say anything before he went back to searching the car. Once again in the glove compartment, he found a small notebook with times and dates in it, the dates lined up with the estimated day the victims were killed.

“Can you tell me what the notebooks are for?” Andrew asked, holding up the notebook. “It’s so I can keep up with meetings,” Bundy said.

Officer Andrews kept searching but didn’t find anything too unusual aside from the gloves, the necklace, and the notebook. Making his way back he noticed that he hadn’t searched the trunk. “So I’m free to go right?” Asked Bundy smiling as he walked up.

“Gotta search the trunk” Andrews replied nonchalantly. “Um…uh…I…I wouldn’t…” Bundy said nervously. Andrews raised an eyebrow at that and asked “Why not?”

“It’s uh…it’s…it’s real messy and stuff will fall out…and that’s where I keep the documents…” Bundy said.

“I’m sure it’ll be fine,” Andrews said. “I uh…please-” Bundy began only to be cut off. “Step back over by the cruiser” Andrews demanded.

Bundy complied hesitantly looking down at the ground as he walked back over to the cruiser. Andrews walked over to the trunk of the 1968 Volkswagen Beetle, the asphalt crunching under his feet. He placed his hands on the trunk just as the strong smell of iron filled his nose.

He popped it open and what he saw horrified him…laying in the trunk was the severed head of a white 15-year-old girl. Andrews quickly pulled out his gun and whipped around pointing it at Bundy.

“GET ON THE GROUND NOW!” Andrew yelled.

Bundy quickly got on the ground as Andrews called it all in.

This is going to make Watergate look like a Sunday school picnic--and that isn't even an exaggeration!!!

Part Two
June 26th, 1974

Washington Post Office-Washington D.C.

It was two thirty in the morning and Bob Woodward was sitting at his desk in the Washington Post. Woodward was looking at his typewriter tiredly; he had been hired to be a reporter for the Post ten months after his graduation from Yale University in 1971. The phone call he was about to receive was going to change his career and launch him into the stratosphere of investigative journalism.

The phone rang and Woodward picked it up. “Hello Bob Woodward here,” Woodward said board. Mr. Woodward” came an anxious voice at the other end of the line, it was a woman that much Woodward could tell “You’re not gonna believe this but my husband who works as an officer for the Washington D.C. Police Department just told me that a man claiming to be the Chief of Staff to the President was just booked for murder.”

The words being said made Woodward jump up out of his seat. “WHAT!” He yelled as he lept up.

Barely anyone was around, just a few janitors keeping the place clean but they all looked over at Woodward when he leapt up and yelled. “Repeat that for me, ma’am,” Woodward said.

“My husband who works as a police officer for the Washington D.C. area just came home and told me all about it. Apparently one of his fellow officers arrested a man after finding the severed head of a 15-year-old girl in the trunk of his car.” Woodward felt sick…what type of monster is this?

“Do you remember what the suspect’s name was, ma'am?” Asked Woodward. “I believe his last name was Bundy,” replied the woman. “Ted Bundy?” Said, Woodward.

“Yes that was it, Ted Bundy,” said the woman. “Thank you ma’am I’ll try and keep in touch with you and your husband,” Woodward said. The woman on the other side bid him a good night and hung up. Woodward couldn’t believe it…the Chief of Staff to the President a murder.

Not just that be the severed head of a 15-year-old girl…what type of monster was Mr. Bundy?

June 26th, 1974

Carl Bernstein’s apartment-Washington D.C.

Carl Bernstein was woken from his slumber by the ringing of the phone. Fumbling around for a few minutes he finally found the phone and answered. “Bernstein,” he said.

“Carl it’s me, Bob.” Came the voice of Bob Woodward, Bernstein’s partner. Bernstein quickly sat up straight in bed from the slouching position he was in.

“Bob, do you know what time it is?” Berstein asked.

“I know Carl but I…I just got a call…” Woodward said his voice on the other end sounding quite unsettled. “Well, what was this call about Bob?” Asked Bernstein concerned.

“This woman…she called me…she said her husband came home telling her that Ted Bundy the Chief of Staff for President Evans was arrested after the severed head of a 15-year-old girl was found in his trunk.” Bernstein leaped out of bed “what!” He cried out.

“I know it sounds crazy Carl-” Woodward began, only for Bernstein to cut him off. “Bob, you're telling me that the Chief of Staff to the President of the United States was arrested after a copper found the head of a little girl in the trunk of his car! Crazy doesn’t even cover it!”

Woodward was silent for a moment before he spoke. “No I don’t suppose it does” “Bob I’m getting ready right now…do you think you can pick me up?” Bernstein asked as he began to look for some clothes to wear.

Bernstein heard Woodward chuckle a little on the other end of the line “Yeah Carl I’m on my way.” He said before he hung up.

June 26th, 1974

Washington Metropolitan Police Department-Washington D.C.

Police Chief Roderick Morrison was a veteran of the Washington Police Force. He’d thought he’d seen it all, that was until tonight or well yesterday night when one of his officers called in something truly gruesome and horrible.

The veteran policeman couldn’t quite believe his eyes or ears…and to top it all off the suspect was claiming that he was the White House Chief of Staff.

It was all so overwhelming for Morrison so he had to step out and get a smoke. “I know one thing,” he thought as he took a puff from his cigarette. “Mr. Bundy is one sick dark man.”

Just then Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein came rushing up to him shouting “Chief! Chief!” When they got right up to him they said “Chief Morrison we’ve heard that Ted Bundy Chief of Staff was arrested at around ten thirty to eleven o’clock last night after the severed head of a 15-year-old girl was found in his car. Any comments?”

Morrison silently cussed. He knew one of his officers spilled the news to someone, he had to be careful. This case getting out prematurely could ruin it.

Chief Morrison took a big puff of his cigarette and blew the smoke into the warm air before speaking. “I’m afraid I can’t comment on an ongoing investigation right now.”

“Do you believe Mr. Bundy is possibly behind the other murders in the area?” Asked Bernstein.

“No comment,” replied Chief Morrison calmly.

He turned to go back inside the station but before he did he looked at Woodward and Bernstein.

“Look boys I know you two are just doing your jobs but I would like for you to leave out any names you may have heard. I would like it if you didn’t publish anything at all but please leave any and all names out of it. This is a very precarious situation and any major disruption could hinder the investigation and allow a potentially dangerous criminal to be let go and wander the streets to do more harm.” With that police Chief Morrison entered the station leaving Woodward and Bernstein standing there wondering what to do next.

Well, what should we do Bob?” Asked Bernstein as they walked toward Woodward’s car.

“I think we should keep things as vague as possible Carol.” Woodward replied. Bernstein raised an eyebrow but didn’t speak, he didn’t have to as Woodward saw his raised brow and elaborated.

“Think about it if we publish this and it’s wrong it’ll damage us. We’d be the laughing stock of the whole journalist world.” Bernstein nodded. “Makes sense…so let's go write us a story,” Bernstein said as they continued to Woodward’s car.

Part Three
July 20th, 1974

Police detective Jared Price stared through the one-way glass at Ted Bundy. It had been three weeks since the arrest of Ted Bundy, thankfully he had a few unpaid parking tickets on his private car so they could keep him in for that.

They dotted their Is and crossed their Ts and now he was ready to interrogate Mr. Bundy. Detective Price made his way to the door and opened it. “Nice to meet you Mr. Bundy I’m Detective Price,” Detective Price said casually as he entered.

Bundy smiled, “nice to meet you, detective.” He said.

As Detective Price sat down Bundy asked “so when will I be released?” Detective Price simply sat there and stared at him.

“Three weeks is a little long for a few unpaid parking tickets.” Bundy said smiling. Not a care in the world….oh how Price was going to enjoy knocking that smirk off his face.

“I think you know why you’re really here Mr. Bundy.” Detective Price replied simply.

Bundy chuckled, “I’m here because of a few unpaid parking tickets.” He said smugly, almost gloating to Detective Price that he was smarter. That’s how he thought of himself…smarter than the average person.

Detective Price smirked. “June 25…you were arrested for having a 15-year-old girl’s severed head in the back of your trunk.” He said casually.

“Look sir I had no idea that head was in the trunk of my car. I was just as shocked and disgusted as the officer was.” Bundy said.

Detective Price leaned forward as he spoke “that's funny Mr. Bundy because when we dusted for fingerprints we found only your fingerprints.” “Well it’s my car” replied Bundy. “Yes but for that head to get into your car and it not be you that put it there then we would find other fingerprints” replied Detective Price.

Bundy shrugged. “Maybe they were wearing gloves,” he said. Mr. Bundy was good Detective Price would give him that.

“Maybe…speaking of gloves” Detective Price began before he threw out some pictures on the table of gloves found in Mr. Bundy’s car. “The gloves we found in your car Mr. Bundy are a perfect match to the gloves found at the scene of one of our crimes.” Detective Price said as he showed Bundy a picture of the glove found at the crime scene.

Bundy showed almost no emotion before he smiled. “I guess me and this ghoul buy gloves from the same store.” He quipped.

“We talked to eyewitnesses near where Samantha Miller was picked up and they confirmed that not only was it your car she got into but that you were the driver Mr. Bundy.” That smile disappeared off Bundy’s face real quick.

“I can assure you officer, I had nothing to do with Ms. Miller’s murder.” Bundy said.

“Who said anything about murder Mr. Bundy?” Asked Detective Price smirking. “ And in your original statement to the police, you never mentioned anything about picking up Ms. Miller. Yet eyewitness accounts along with fingerprints found on the passenger side of your car say otherwise, Mr. Bundy.” Said Detective Price as he sat back in his chair.

Mr. Bundy was quiet, he couldn’t come up with a rebuttal. “Bingo!” Thought Price as he leaned forward.

You know what I think Mr. Bundy?” Asked Detective Price. Bundy didn’t say anything as he stared into Detective Price’s soul.

“I think you picked up Ms. Miller with the intent to harm…you rapped and then killed her and then in order to keep a memento for your crime. You beheaded her and put it in your trunk.” Detective Price then sat back in his chair as he watched Bundy.

Bundy sat there…not saying anything or even looking at Detective Price. The two men simply sat there not speaking or looking at each other in the eyes.

And then Bundy laughed. He laughed and laughed and laughed. “You wanna know something Detective?” Bundy said.

“What is that Mr. Bundy?” Detective Price replied.

Bundy leaned forward in his seat, a grin on his face before he spoke. “I am the most cold-hearted son of a bitch you will ever meet Detective.” Bundy said.

Detective Price simply stared at him before he gathered up his stuff. An officer came in and arrested Bundy. As the officer put the cuffs on Bundy Detective Price began to read Mr. Bundy his Miranda rights.

“Mr. Bundy you are under arrest for the murder of Samantha Miller you have the right to remain silent anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney one will be provided for you.”

As the officer was taking Bundy away Detective Price said “You know you’d have made a good lawyer Mr. Bundy.” Bundy simply smiled and said, “Thank you, Detective.” Before he was led away.

July 20th, 1974

Woodward and Bernstein were waiting outside the Metropolitan Police Department for the press conference to start along with the other members of the press. They had spent weeks since the arrest of Bundy digging deep into his past. Although they were careful not to publish any names in that first article about the severed girl's head in Bundy’s car, they interviewed anyone they could find about Bundy.

The picture painted was not one of a monster but of a humble charming guy who while odd was a rising star in politics and was a hard worker.

Finally, Chief Morrison walked out of the station and up to the podium. “Ladies and gentlemen of the press” he began. “Today we have officially made an arrest regarding the murder of young Samantha Miller, The suspect in question is Mr. Theadore Bundy better known as Ted Bundy.”

Immediately the crowd of reporters erupted with questions Woodward raised his hand. “Chief is Mr. Bundy the same Ted Bundy who is chief of staff to President Daniel J. Evans?” He asked.

Chief Morrison sighed before he answered, “Yes he is that Ted Bundy.”

Like a firecracker, the press exploded with questions. “Chief, did you find any evidence of the President’s involvement? Chief is Mr. Bundy also involved in the other murders in the area? Chief, is there anything else you can tell us?”

Question after question it was like a circus. Chief Morrison put his hands up and told the crowd to settle down. “Now one at a time please.” Chief Morrison said calmly.

One reporter raised his hand. “Yes” replied the chief, pointing at him. “Sir, is Mr. Bundy also involved in the other murders in the area?” The reporter asked.

“We won’t speculate at this time.” Chief Morrison replied.

“Chief Morrison, is it true that officers found several severed heads at Mr. Bundy’s apartment?” Asked a female reporter.

“We can’t comment on that right now ma’am.” Chief Morrison replied calmly.

After another nine minutes or so of answering as many questions as he could, Chief Morrison ended the press conference. Woodward and Bernstein quickly made their way to the offices of the Washington Post. They had a story to write about Mr. Bundy.

Part Four
July 26th, 1974

President Evans had been having a rough time as of late.

All of his hard work on the new housing legislation that he had worked on with HUD Secretary George Romney for the better part of a month went down the drain the minute Bundy got exposed. Don’t get him wrong Evans was horrified just as any person at what Bundy had done and was glad he was caught and being put away for good. But people started asking…started wondering what involvement Evans had in covering up for Bundy.

Him! The president of the United States was under suspicion for being involved with whatever sick stuff Bundy was doing on the side! How could people think that?

The Washington Post didn’t leave a single stone unturned when it came to anything related to Bundy. Whether it be the suspicion of him being involved with other sexual assaults and murders in the Washington D.C. area. Or his possible involvement in the disappearance of an eight-year-old girl in Tacoma, Washington when Bundy was just fourteen.

None of it made Evans look good though with people either thinking he was involved in some way or. He was a blithering idiot who didn’t vet his staff well enough.

It of course didn’t help when his UN Ambassador Harold Stassen stormed into his office demanding to know what was going on. He then left and returned an hour later with his resignation. Word got out to the press and it caused even further embarrassment to the Evans administration.

Evans replaced Stassen with former UN Ambassador Henry Cabot Lodge Jr. Lodge happily agreed to take his old job back. While it was a close call Lodge was narrowly confirmed saving Evans another humiliation.

President Evans was now in a meeting with his Press Secretary Sally Heet and his new Chief of Staff Robert Finch (courtesy of Nixon). To discuss what to do about the whole Bundy scandal.

“What do you suggest we do?” Evans asked both of them.

“Mr. President, we should put out a press statement. Keep it simple and brief.” Said Heet.

“What about a press conference?” Asked Evans. Heet shook her head “I think that would be unwise. They would simply overwhelm us.”

Evans nodded. “Alright, Sally put out a press statement. Tell them what we need them to know that I had no knowledge of anything Bundy was doing and that I am unwilling to comment on an ongoing investigation.” Heet nodded and left to go make the press statement.

“Do you think this will help?” Asked Finch.

“I’m sure this will all blow over by the time 76 rolls around.” Replied Evans calmly.

July 26th, 1974

Capitol Hill-Washington D.C.

House Minority Leader Gerald Ford was in a meeting with Senate Minority Leader Hugh Scott, both men were the leaders of the Republicans in their respective branches of Congress. Both men also loved to smoke from pipes. As they were doing right now.

Ford watched as Scott whipped off his glasses before he put them back on. “How are the polls looking, Hugh?” Ford asked.

Scott’s mustache twitched before he spoke “What do you think Jerry? We’re getting our asses kicked!”

Ford took the pipe out of his mouth and blew a ball of smoke into the air. Scott did the same thing. The two men were quiet for a few minutes before Scott spoke.

“We may have to ask Evans to resign if this keeps getting worse.”

Ford simply sat there, they may indeed have to ask the President to resign. “I feel sorry for Scranton,” Ford said.

“Why’s that?” Asked Scott.

“He’s not gonna be able to run for reelection,” Ford replied. Scott snorted and said “He was never going to run for the Presidency. Evans drugged him outta retirement for the Vice Presidency.”

“I suppose you're right Hugh.” Ford replied just wishing this whole thing would end.

July 26th, 1974

Press Secretary Sally Heet stood behind the podium. “Ladies and Gentlemen of the press I’ll keep this brief.” She began. “In regards to the rumors and allegations surrounding President Evans's involvement with Mr. Bundy the President is unwilling to comment on an ongoing investigation right now. However, the President would like to say that he had absolutely no knowledge of Mr. Bundy’s crimes.”

As soon as she ended the room lit up with questions.

“Mrs. Heet, what was the President’s relationship with Mr. Bundy?”

“Mrs. Heet, what are your comments that the President dismissed any suspicions his cabinet members had about Mr. Bundy?”

“Mrs. Heet, can you comment about the resignation of Mr. Stassen from the UN ambassadorship?”

They were like vultures and poor Sally was caught in their grasps. “I…We won't be answering any questions at this time.” She said before quickly leaving the room before they could pick her bones clean.

July 26th, 1974

Nixon’s office-Washington D.C.

Richard Millhouse Nixon sat in his office having listened to the brief press statement given by Mrs. Heet. Nixon could tell instantly that this was a disaster. He had taken on the Secretary of State role hoping that this would help fix his dying career.

Perhaps had Evans served two terms good ole’ Dick Nixon could be his successor in 1980. Now…now it was looking more and more like the Titanic and Dick Nixon wasn't going down with this ship.

“I believe now would be the time to get things ready.” Nixon mumbled to himself before he picked up the phone.

July 26th, 1974

Capitol Hill-Washington D.C.

Oklahoma Senator Fred Harris had just finished listening to the press statement given by the President’s office. It was what you expected it to be, it just talked about how the President wasn’t willing to comment on an ongoing investigation and that he had no knowledge of Mr. Bundy’s crimes. “What a load of bullshit!” Harris muttered to himself.

He was alone in his office. This whole situation made his stomach turn, this idiot was trying to dodge responsibility. Even if he had no hand in covering it up or any knowledge of the crimes he still was complacent. And worst of all…he didn’t give a shit!

Harris, having made his decision, got up out of his chair, turned off the lamp, and then left his senate office. He stormed down the halls and out of the front of Capitol Hill where a bevy of news reporters were waiting for any Senator to come out. They swarmed him.

“Senator Harris!” One of the reporters called out. “Any response to the press statement of President Evans’s office?”

“I’ll tell you what I think! I think he is trying to dodge responsibility for his actions!” Harris cried out in anger.

“I say we impeach him and ask what he knew and when he knew it!” “Senator Harris, don’t you think that is going too far?” Asked a reporter.

Harris gazed at the reporter and replied. “While the President may not have known about Mr. Bundy’s crimes he must still be held responsible. He put Mr. Bundy in a position of power which allowed Mr. Bundy to harm members of the community. He also dismissed concerns about Mr. Bundy voiced by members of his own cabinet, does that sound like someone you’d want in office?”

As the press stood still Harris could see he had their attention. “Not only that but now he wants it all to just go away by giving a vague platitude-filled press statement! Quite frankly it disgusts me and it should disgust you too!”

Harris then walked off leaving the reporters and watching members of the public to ponder his words.

July 27th, 1974

Number One Observatory Circle-Washington D.C.

Vice President William Scranton was wide awake. It was three thirty in the morning and he couldn’t sleep.

This whole Bundy business was dragging Evans underwater. Scranton hadn’t even seen or spoken to the President for two whole weeks because Evans was too busy trying to manage the scandal. This whole scandal was quickly consuming the administration, it was becoming the only thing anyone ever talked about.

The calls for Evans's resignation were growing by the day. The fact President Evans hadn’t even spoken about it and simply put out a vague press statement didn’t help matters. All it did was allow the press to keep running with the narrative that Evans must have had a hand in covering up the crimes.

The press statement only damaged Evans even more than before as it looked like he was dodging responsibility…It looked as if Evans didn’t truly care about what Bundy had done…It looked like Evans was hiding something.

While Scranton believed Evans truly had nothing to do with Bundy’s crimes nor any knowledge he could also see that everyone was quickly losing faith and becoming skeptical.

Scranton didn’t quite know what would happen but day after day it looked as if Evans may resign and Scranton would be stuck with an office he didn't truly want. While it took a great deal of convincing from Evans's end Scranton signed on because he believed in Evans, he thought he would merely be an advisor to him. But now…now it was looking as if William Scranton would become President of the United States.

July 26th, 1974

Nixon’s office-Washington D.C.

Richard Millhouse Nixon sat in his office having listened to the brief press statement given by Mrs. Heet. Nixon could tell instantly that this was a disaster. He had taken on the Secretary of State role hoping that this would help fix his dying career.

Perhaps had Evans served two terms good ole’ Dick Nixon could be his successor in 1980. Now…now it was looking more and more like the Titanic and Dick Nixon wasn't going down with this ship.

“I believe now would be the time to get things ready.” Nixon mumbled to himself before he picked up the phone.

Now, now... Nixon is a Navy man after all so .... :)

Randy

Part Five
August 12th, 1974

George Romney stood outside of the Oval Office with his resignation in hand. It had been two weeks since the disastrous press statement was released. The calls for resignation grew louder and louder by both Democrats and the people.

Now there were grumbles from several Republicans about asking Evans to resign as the whole thing was damaging the party. Romney didn’t want to just cut and run from Evans administration but…Lenore had convinced him.

She talked to him about how resigning one night, Romney knew his wife had lost faith in Evans. While she believed him in his innocence the whole scandal left a bad taste in her mouth and Romney would be lying if he said it also didn’t leave a bad taste in his mouth. It also didn’t help that the whole scandal was stressing Romney out.

As soon as the secretary gave him the go-ahead to enter the room Romney pushed the doors open and entered gently closing the doors behind him.

“Hey George, how are you?” Evans greeted him.

Romney could see how draining this whole affair had been on the President. The bags under his eyes showed a lack of sleep and his hair on the side of his head was starting to turn grey. His smile looked tired and forced.

“Hey, Dan all good just…came to give you something.” Romney replied as he handed him the piece of paper.

President Evans's smile quickly turned into a frown as he read the letter. “Are you…serious George?” He asked.

Romney nodded. “Yes, I…need a break. I want to spend some more time at home with Lenore and the kids.”

Evans sat there, “is this about the scandal George?” he asked almost as if he knew.

“Not entirely Dan…” Romney replied, trying not to upset Evans anymore.

“You don’t have to lie George…this whole damn thing has consumed my administration. I wouldn’t blame you for leaving.”

“I hope you’re not angry Dan,” Romney said. Evans smiled and waved him off. “Nonsense!” He replied.

“If you wanna leave then that is your decision, not mine. I may be sad to see you go but it’s up to you.”

Romney gave a small smile in return. “Thanks for being understanding Dan.” He then turned to leave but before he left he turned and looked at President Evans. “I wish you well Dan.”

“As do I George.” Replied the President.

Evans could only watch as George Romney left the room. He sighed as soon as Romney left. First, it was Stassen, then it was Nixon, and now it was Romney.

This whole damn scandal…it was becoming the death of him.

Outside the room, George Wilcken Romney breathed a sigh of relief. It felt like an elephant had been lifted off his shoulders.

August 12th, 1974

Panda Gourmet-Washington D.C.

The former president Hubert Humphrey sat down inside the nice Chinese restaurant for lunch with Terry Sanford. The same man he put on the Supreme Court when he was President. Before he was a court member Sanford was governor of North Carolina.

“I hear Senator Ervin is retiring.” Humphrey said casually.

“So I heard as well” Sanford replied.

The Senator Ervin they were talking about was North Carolina Senator Sam Ervin who had been a Senator since the 50s long before Sanford was governor. Senator Ervin, an arch segregationist, was finally retiring after years in the senate. Humphrey saw a chance, a new south was forming and rising.

A movement which was started by the very same man sitting across from him having lunch. Humphrey saw the perfect chance to perhaps help a friend into the Senate and mold a potential successor. One who would complete his vision for the country.

A vision in which all were employed, in which all could share in the glory and greatness of the nation, and a vision in which all who sought a good education would get it. All he had to do was convince Sanford of it.

“I think you should run,” Humphrey said getting straight to the point.

Sanford chuckled. “Straight to the point eh Hubert.”

“I’m being serious. I think you could win Terry.” Humphrey replied.

“I’m much better on the court.” Sanford said.

“Are you really?” Humphrey asked.

That caused Sanford to pause. Humphrey smiled and continued. “You won before in 1960. You could do it again Terry…and besides I know you want to be President.”

That hit the spot, Sanford had expected to get a spot on the ticket with Humphrey with 68 only for Muskie to get chosen instead. Everyone knew that the Supreme Court nomination was simply a make-good. And Sanford couldn’t quite win statewide office in North Carolina after his perceived weakness on the civil rights issue, so Sanford thought his career was dead.

Confined to the court until he retired or died. But now…now there may be a chance.

With Ervin retiring Sanford could enter and with his name recognition, experience, and the backing of Humprhey he could gain the nomination and then he could win the general election. Perhaps Humphrey was right, after all, Senator J. Terry Sanford had a nice ring to it.

August 12th, 1974

President Daniel J. Evans currently sat in a meeting with several prominent Republicans. Those being House Minority leader Gerald Ford, Senate Minority leader Hugh Scott, Senate Minority Whip Robert P. Griffin, Tennessee Senator Howard Baker, and Arizona Senator Barry Goldwater. They had just told him to resign.

“I would like for you to repeat what you just said, gentleman.” Evans said calmly.

“Mr. President I believe it would be best if you were to resign,” Ford said just as calmly as Evans. All through the room was calm. You could cut the tension with a knife.

“And why should I Jerry?” Evans asked.

Baker replied instead. “It’s hurting the party, Dan. We’re getting slaughtered in the polls.” “Before you try and argue, think about it for a moment, your administration is practically finished. You’re not winning reelection, you’re not going to be doing anything else.” Goldwater said.

Senator Griffin then put the final nail in the coffin. “It’s over Dan…There ain’t nothing you can do about it but resign.”

Evans sat there in silence, he wanted to argue but he knew they were right. His administration was damaged and dead…dead in the grave.

The Democrats were refusing to work with him, the public were protesting, and now members of his own party were asking him to resign. Perhaps they were right…perhaps this was the best chance to get the country moving forward.

“I’ll think about it gentleman.” He said before they nodded and left the room.

Now Evans was left in the Oval Office all alone with his thoughts.

August 13th, 1974

Number One Observatory Circle-Washington D.C.

Vice President Scranton had just got off the phone with Chief of Staff Robert Finch. He had received the news that he was dreading. President Evans was going to resign and tomorrow he would officially become President of the United States.

Scranton would be lying if he said he didn’t expect this to happen. It was almost foretold the minute that press statement came out.

Scranton had a few phone calls to make.

August 13th, 1974

Evans sat behind the desk in the Oval Office as the camera crew got everything set up. He had readied himself for his statement. As soon as Finch gave him the signal Evans spoke.

“Good evening,” Evans began. “I’ll keep this as brief as possible effective at noon tomorrow I will resign the office of President of the United States.” Evans paused before he continued.

“I have come to realize that this was the best decision to help move the country forward and heal. I am sorry for the damage that my inaction and misjudgment of Mr. Bundy has caused. I know that the families hurt by his crimes will never be able to get back what they have lost though I hope that this action will help with the healing. I wish Vice President Scranton all the best, thank you, and goodnight.”

With that, the broadcast ended and with it, President Daniel J. Evans was now a former President Joining the likes of the very man he beat for the office Hubert Humphrey.

He could swear Humprhey was laughing somewhere.

August 14th, 1974

William Scranton now stood in the press room. The room was full of men and women of the press.

Scranton was nervous and anxious as he stood in front of Chief Justice William O’ Douglas awaiting Burger to begin administering the oath of office.

Douglas to begin administering the oath of office.

“Place your hand on the bible. Douglas said. Scranton did as Douglas said.

“I William Warren Scranton” Douglas began “do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States. And will to the best of my ability preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.”

Scranton repeated the oath back to the Chief Justice. Douglas held out his hand. “Good luck Mr. President.”

Scranton shook Douglas’s hand and then turned to the crowd of reporters.

END.

Authors Note:
I would just like to thank all of you for sticking with this wild and crazy ass story of mine. I haven't really seen anyone cover or do a TLIAW like this, I must once again thank @Vidal for inspiring me and for all of you for reading this. As for what's next well...I have something in the works ;)